shape
carat
color
clarity

What's with all the firearms here?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I edited. One size fits all is not going to work though. It may relapse it may not and I don't think those making the decisions know either. They're best guessing the whole show.

Yes. All we can do is the best we can do with the info we know. We have lots of info by looking at the counties who have gone before us and succeeded. Trump seems to be ignoring valuable info. We have to test many more people than we are. I shared a number of links if you’re interested. We can do more. We should not reopen yet.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the restrictions infringe on the right to visit a neighbor, to go fishing in your boat even if alone, to buy seeds and plant a garden in one's own backyard. These are not things that people feel they should be forced to give up... even in a pandemic.
What do most protests seek? A change to whatever it is they are protesting. There are plenty of people who feel the governor overstepped. I think it's kind of crazy to be in that big of a group but I'm not inclined to protest anything. Not my thing.
:wall::wall:
With that protest the strangest thing was that they were told to protest stuff that wasn't even in the executive order.
No problem to go out with your whole family plus a pal wherever you want to go for PE or recreational purposes. And no ban on seeds either.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, don't know why the first quote didn't work

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the restrictions infringe on the right to visit a neighbor, to go fishing in your boat even if alone, to buy seeds and plant a garden in one's own backyard. These are not things that people feel they should be forced to give up... even in a pandemic.

:wall::wall:
With that protest the strangest thing was that they were told to protest stuff that wasn't even in the executive order.
No problem to go out with your whole family plus a pal wherever you want to go for PE or recreational purposes. And no ban on seeds either.

I'm not advocating their gathering or their particular protest. There's plenty of people who are feeling that government is reaching beyond and they will protest.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. All we can do is the best we can do with the info we know. We have lots of info by looking at the counties who have gone before us and succeeded. Trump seems to be ignoring valuable info. We have to test many more people than we are. I shared a number of links if you’re interested. We can do more. We should not reopen yet.

@missy I read most all the links people post. I feel the same as @nala posted earlier about this situation but she was much better at expressing it.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's plenty of people who are feeling that government is reaching beyond and they will protest.

Yup! My brother is one of them. He worries what the government will attempt to control next. He doesn’t trust the government at all. Insists he needs firearms for the same reason they did in the 1700’s. :cry:

ETA he is an essential worker

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to hear you guys are working like a true community.
Please don’t mistake my empathy for identification. Maybe I am being overly naive in trying to justify their protest and not focusing on the guns. But this pandemic has taught me to be more empathetic because everyone is under a different kind of stress. I think that what struck me about your reply to me is that you consider your priorities superior to others. I know that you said they were different, but I infer you are implying superior. And that is the one thing I don’t care to do anymore. I’m tired of trying to be right, of everyone trying to be right. Of people telling others how to react to this virus. Stay home. Yeah, but the rest of you go to work so that I can eat. It’s all so confusing because it should be! So yeah. That’s where I’m coming from. Ever since the pandemic, it has become so apparent how privileged some PS posters are—not meaning you in particular. It’s also become a place where very few people can disagree about the virus bc the lone dissenter is attacked for bringing in a different perspective. Many have become the moral police from the comfort of their own homes without realizing that some people don’t have that luxury and must choose between a hard and a rock place.

I get this. Completely. There’s no easy answer. But we should look to the other countries and learn from them. IMO.

This situation SUCKS for everyone.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I read most all the links people post. I feel the same as @nala posted earlier about this situation but she was much better at expressing it.

Is that the post above? I agree.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No not the one just above. Her discussion a few pages back regarding essential people who need/have to work.

I have family who are essential and working. I have dear friends who are working at great risk to themselves thanks to a deficient supply of PPEs. Doctors, nurses, medical assistants, staff. I get it. We need those people. We need the police and EMTs and fire people, MTA workers and grocery store workers and delivery people and truck drivers etc.

We need them for society to not collapse and die. And yes some of them are now dead. They sacrificed their lives. Tragic. Horror beyond imagination. But we limit who needs to go out and work thereby limiting the outbreak *as best as we can* until we have more resources to treat those affected.

It’s not fair. Nothing about this is fair. If you’re rich or famous you’ll survive. Probably. If you’re poor you won’t if you get very ill. Probably. It freaking SUCKS.

But if we limit those lives at risk we have a better chance of keeping people alive.

I guess we can go around and around in circles because ultimately I see the writing on the wall. We’re going to reopen too soon. And many of us will pay the ultimate price.

:blackeye:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup! My brother is one of them. He worries what the government will attempt to control next. He doesn’t trust the government at all. Insists he needs firearms for the same reason they did in the 1700’s. :cry:

ETA he is an essential worker

It's the gradual creep they fear, frog in a pot and all that. I understand it completely.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have family who are essential and working. I have dear friends who are working at great risk to themselves thanks to a deficient supply of PPEs. Doctors, nurses, medical assistants, staff. I get it. We need those people. We need the police and EMTs and fire people, MTA workers and grocery store workers and delivery people and truck drivers etc.

We need them for society to not collapse and die. And yes some of them are now dead. They sacrificed their lives. Tragic. Horror beyond imagination. But we limit who needs to go out and work thereby limiting the outbreak *as best as we can* until we have more resources to treat those affected.

It’s not fair. Nothing about this is fair. If you’re rich or famous you’ll survive. Probably. If you’re poor you won’t if you get very ill. Probably. It freaking SUCKS.

But if we limit those lives at risk we have a better chance of keeping people alive.

I guess we can go around and around in circles because ultimately I see the writing on the wall. We’re going to reopen too soon. And many of us will pay the ultimate price.

:blackeye:

WE do need them. I'm not going round and round about it other than expressing a different POV? This isn't an adversarial situation or at least it shouldn't be. I hope the state governors do what is appropriate for their states. We know more people will die of this as that is inevitable. The whole thing freaking sucks I agree.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WE do need them. I'm not going round and round about it other than expressing a different POV? This isn't an adversarial situation or at least it shouldn't be. I hope the state governors do what is appropriate for their states. We know more people will die of this as that is inevitable. The whole thing freaking sucks I agree.

I have no bad feelings towards you. At all. I just don’t want more people to die because we open this country haphazardly. I want the leaders here to use their brains and look at the other countries and maximize our chance at success. We are in this together. As much as we can be that is.

And don’t doubt I see all points of view. I do.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex Jones riling up protesters / his followers at Austin protest..

1587310946957.png

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's crazy but what can be done? It's human nature and lots of people are tired of being cooped up. Especially if they're in an area where there's few cases.

DH's store is doing the one entrance and counting thing to limit the number inside. Have been for about a week. People still line up outside to wait their turn.

I’m not convinced these people were tired of being cooped up. They’re empty and need to belong to something. You wanna tell me that sitting in their house and eating frozen burritos is so bad that they’re willing to go out and risk their lives to protest it? No. They’re lacking.

The designer of all of those websites is probably some 18 year old kid who’s sitting in his bedroom laughing at the sheeple while his mommy brings him hot pockets.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, the Kent state kids were protestors not rioters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Boston photo by Bernie Boston.

Flower_Power_by_Bernie_Boston.jpg

this is rioting

So you are equating these protesters with rioters?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If wishes were horses.

None of your business. Like anything else regarding my firearms.

I gotta LOL at that one.. MYOB shoe fit wear.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so you can’t get seeds and ride around in your boat. So what? Get some discipline and stop whining. There is a deadly pandemic going on. These are the same people who called liberals and millennials whiny snowflakes.

The irony.

Q

Queenie60

@1ofakind thank you, that was a very clear answer to my (now in hindsight rather obvious) question. In my defence it's 5am here and I've been huffing fumes all day (slapping old leftover paint on all my furniture out of boredom since I've had my hours cut in half). Insomnia due to financial insecurity for the win!

@Alex T have we Americans answered your question? All clear now ?

I love this forum because. Aside from fantastic bling, it is SO diverse politically. It is so interesting and occasionally enlightening to see where other people are coming from. Wish me luck, I'm going to try to get to sleep!

Sorry to break it to you - this is not a politically diverse crowd - it's weighted heavily to the left and if you lean more to the right, you're in the minority and the lefties don't care to hear your opinion as they feel theirs to be superior.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Missy. Speaking of looking to other countries, What do you think about Sweden’s approach? Check this out:https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-sweden-stockholm-herd-immunity-144733606.html

I'll be back later and read your link @nala but in the meantime this is what I know about herd immunity and Covid 19.

'
There are several reasons why herd immunity isn’t the answer to stopping the spread of the new coronavirus:

1. There isn’t yet a vaccine for SARS-CoV-2. Vaccinations are the safest way to practice herd immunity in a population.
  2. The research for antivirals and other medications to treat COVID-19 is ongoing.
  3. Scientists don’t know if you can contract SARS-CoV-2 and develop COVID-19 more than once.
  4. People who contract SARS-CoV-2 and develop COVID-19 can experience serious side effects. Severe cases can lead to death.
  5. Doctors don’t yet know exactly why some people who contract SARS-CoV-2 develop severe COVID-19, while others do not.
  6. Vulnerable members of society, such as older adults and people with some chronic health conditions, could get very sick if they’re exposed to this virus.
  7. Otherwise healthy and younger people may become very ill with COVID-19.
  8. Hospitals and healthcare systems may be overburdened if many people develop COVID-19 at the same time."

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahh, the lovely "Sandy Hook was a hoax" Alex Jones. I thought these were supposed to be grass roots protests?

Not grass roots. See my posts #192 and #193 located earlier in this thread.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be back later and read your link @nala but in the meantime this is what I know about herd immunity and Covid 19.

'
There are several reasons why herd immunity isn’t the answer to stopping the spread of the new coronavirus:

1. There isn’t yet a vaccine for SARS-CoV-2. Vaccinations are the safest way to practice herd immunity in a population.
  2. The research for antivirals and other medications to treat COVID-19 is ongoing.
  3. Scientists don’t know if you can contract SARS-CoV-2 and develop COVID-19 more than once.
  4. People who contract SARS-CoV-2 and develop COVID-19 can experience serious side effects. Severe cases can lead to death.
  5. Doctors don’t yet know exactly why some people who contract SARS-CoV-2 develop severe COVID-19, while others do not.
  6. Vulnerable members of society, such as older adults and people with some chronic health conditions, could get very sick if they’re exposed to this virus.
  7. Otherwise healthy and younger people may become very ill with COVID-19.
  8. Hospitals and healthcare systems may be overburdened if many people develop COVID-19 at the same time."

Thanks for the list. I have been intrigued by Sweden’s approach nonetheless because From what I have read, they are protecting the elderly and vulnerable, number 6 on the list. Also, when shelter in place is over for many of us in the USA , despite everyone’s wishes to run and hug their parents and grandparents, the risks of infecting them will not have changed. I know that my governor keeps mentioning herd immunity as a final necessity to living normal lives. In the end, both countries will have lost a considerable amount of lives—inevitably. The question will become—who will go back to normalcy and I know that we certainly will not. I know that you like to post the stats. What do you glean from Sweden’s numbers verses ours? Even if they are a country of 10 million vs our at 330 million, I think we can still draw conclusions. I do wish they would publish the statistics behind the deaths in terms of underlying conditions, ages, etc.

Last edited:

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
They're all coordinated to an extent. But Alex Jones??

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex Jones is an attention seeker and will go where he thinks he can get the most attention.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see any difference between him and Antifa other than he doesn't physically attack people. Peaceful protests ought to do something about Antifa but they don't. I wonder why?

They don't because they can't, won't or are afraid to.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone been defending Antifa?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results