shape
carat
color
clarity

What's with all the firearms here?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
France has been living like this since 3/13 .

Our situation being not as bad as NY.

Have you not been allowed to exercise/go out for a walk? Not allowed to buy seeds?

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am equally as shocked about the lack of social distancing as the guns.

If they think it's their right to infect themselves and their loved ones with vivid 19 that's one thing.
I'd like them to sign a legally binding waiver, though, that they won't block any ventilators in case they'll need them and compete with others who did respect all the rules.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only supermarkets are open. If they happen to have seeds, you may buy them. You are advised to go to your closest supermarket

Eta: it's a bit of a grey area. It's not clearly written down how far you can drive to get supplies.

My friends all think I'm stretching it by going to Costco, which is a 10 minute drive

Edit no 2 :

You need to have a paper /PDF on phone on you stating the reason why you are out, when you left and your address.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
France has been living like this since 3/13 .

Our situation being not as bad as NY.

The UK has also been living like this since mid March. It's fine. We're surviving & more importantly, infection rate is officially flattening & hospital admissions have dropped nationally. We are winning & people are surviving because we are living like this. No brainer. And no armed gun protests.

Our children are only allowed to leave the house to exercise. They are not allowed in any supermarket at any time. But they understand & are cool with it, because they know their elderly grandparents are safe due to people towing the line.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should be able to order birdseed online. I got it for wild birds, and I know you can buy bird food for indoor birds online as well.

My mom and dad had a ton of rifles and hunted all sorts of things. I'd never be against that, because back then and right now, people still do this so they have meat to eat for their families. I couldn't personally do it, but it's okay. I wish I'd inherited even 1 on my dad's guns. They ALL went to my brother. Then my brother died, and his daughter sold them all or gave them away, I don't even know. We're not really allowed handguns here, so I have no opinion on that.

Invariably we see these pictures of Americans with all sorts of guns, open carrying at what look like places where you shouldn't. It looks foreign and strange to me. I have a friend who will defend his assault rifles until the end of time with me. Whatever.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are allowed out one hour a day for exercise before 10 am and after 7pm

So I believe that is different than what the Michigan Governor was allowing...she was not allowing any outdoor exercise.
The UK has also been living like this since mid March. It's fine. We're surviving & more importantly, infection rate is officially flattening & hospital admissions have dropped nationally. We are winning & people are surviving because we are living like this. No brainer. And no armed gun protests.

Our children are only allowed to leave the house to exercise. They are not allowed in any supermarket at any time. But they understand & are cool with it, because they know their elderly grandparents are safe due to people towing the line.

That works. That is not as extreme/severe as the Michigan Governor's rules.

Again I do not condone bearing arms at a protest. Two wrongs don't make a right. The Michigan Governor overreached and went over the top. Of course the protestors behaved so stupidly and could have made a better point if they had worn masks, practiced social distancing during their protest and left their guns at home. Very stupid behavior but not surprising sadly.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only supermarkets are open. If they happen to have seeds, you may buy them. You are advised to go to your closest supermarket

Eta: it's a bit of a grey area. It's not clearly written down how far you can drive to get supplies.

My friends all think I'm stretching it by going to Costco, which is a 10 minute drive

Edit no 2 :

You need to have a paper /PDF on phone on you stating the reason why you are out, when you left and your address.

Yeah the seeds thing was ludicrous. Absolutely ludicrous.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have kids you can got out with them to walk for one hour during the day

In addition to your outdoor exercise? That's very fair.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If they think it's their right to infect themselves and their loved ones with vivid 19 that's one thing.
I'd like them to sign a legally binding waiver, though, that they won't block any ventilators in case they'll need them and compete with others who did respect all the rules.

I would like to see this as well. But these people would be the last people IMO to give someone their ventilator. Very selfish behavior. Not wearing masks and not practicing safe social distancing.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Look at you with all your privilege going use those "people who are not white" to attempt to prove your point. This is disgusting. What a white knight you are. Racism is the liberal attempt to shut down conversation and you wield it with aplomb.

I'm plenty happy with people of any color exercising their rights.

Well good for you - you act as if I'm speaking directly to you and I honestly don't know why that is. No one is attempting to shut you down. Say whatever you want. I don't tell you what primaries you should be allowed to vote in (as you once did to me) or whose posts you can make fun of (yes, as you once did to me) or call you a white knight or a racist. Do you see the pattern here? You are the only one attempting to silence anyone.

You can be as excited as you want for non-whites to take to the streets in the U.S. with the killing machines. That doesn't mean that it would be allowed to happen. An interesting read: The NRA Supported Gun Control When the Black Panthers had the Weapons

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, it seems to be working well. We are told the schools will open on May 11th... Wait and see..

@missy, @soxfan linked the politifact link. It's not prohibited to buy seeds per se. It was advised that big shops close off certain areas to reduce their shop size under 5000 safe if they are bigger

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should be able to order birdseed online. I got it for wild birds, and I know you can buy bird food for indoor birds online as well.

My mom and dad had a ton of rifles and hunted all sorts of things. I'd never be against that, because back then and right now, people still do this so they have meat to eat for their families. I couldn't personally do it, but it's okay. I wish I'd inherited even 1 on my dad's guns. They ALL went to my brother. Then my brother died, and his daughter sold them all or gave them away, I don't even know. We're not really allowed handguns here, so I have no opinion on that.

Invariably we see these pictures of Americans with all sorts of guns, open carrying at what look like places where you shouldn't. It looks foreign and strange to me. I have a friend who will defend his assault rifles until the end of time with me. Whatever.

I cannot speak to birdseed but everything online takes so much longer if you can even get it. I mean if the Lowes is open anyway let the people get birdseed if they need it. I think besides an hour of outdoor exercise (wearing a mask) one needs to go to the store with purpose and not just browsing. And to that end they need to carry a list and show that is why they are there. That would be prudent I think. So similar in a way to the European and other countries are doing it. We need to learn by example because we are not doing a great job the way it is now IMO.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In addition to your outdoor exercise? That's very fair.

Grey area again. Technically no.
But I believe they haven't introduced the tracking app yet, so who could control that? . In any case you can't be more than 1km from your home. So if you bump into the same police officer twice, if he recognizes you, you'd be fined 135€ the second time around

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow.

"
The numbers of coronavirus cases in Michigan have surged in recent weeks. As of April 14, the Wolverine State ranked fourth — behind New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts, according to the New York Times.

Nearly half of Michigan’s cases are in Wayne County, which includes Detroit, according to Johns Hopkins University. Both the state and the county have a COVID-19 fatality rate of 6%."

SMH. Not wearing masks or social distancing at their protest. But at least they got to carry their guns. Brilliant behavior.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grey area again. Technically no.
But I believe they haven't introduced the tracking app yet, so who could control that? . In any case you can't be more than 1km from your home. So if you bump into the same police officer twice, if he recognizes you, you'd be fined 135€ the second time around

LOL I would not want to bump into the same office twice then!
Be safe @kipari you and your family. It is nice that you are quarantined all together.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it seems to be working well. We are told the schools will open on May 11th... Wait and see..

@missy, @soxfan linked the politifact link. It's not prohibited to buy seeds per second. It was advised that big shops close off certain areas to reduce their shop size under 5000 safe if they are bigger

I would be very surprised if the schools reopen by May 11th but you guys are doing a much better job than us so I guess it is possible. I wouldn't be surprised here if the schools are closed through 2020 here. We will see.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I'm a but shocked about the reporting on this the seed thing is untrue as is the physical activity thing.

it's written under 7:

It much less strict than in France or the UK. No time limit imposed, no radius.

7. Exceptions.

Individuals may leave their home or place of residence, and travel as necessary:

To engage in outdoor physical activity, consistent with remaining at least six feet from people from outside the individual’s household. Outdoor physical activity includes walking, hiking, running, cycling, kayaking, canoeing, or other similar physical activity, as well as any comparable activity for those with limited mobility.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I'm a but shocked about the reporting on this the seed thing is untrue as is the physical activity thing.

it's written under 7:

It much less strict than in France or the UK. No time limit imposed, no radius.

7. Exceptions.

Individuals may leave their home or place of residence, and travel as necessary:

To engage in outdoor physical activity, consistent with remaining at least six feet from people from outside the individual’s household. Outdoor physical activity includes walking, hiking, running, cycling, kayaking, canoeing, or other similar physical activity, as well as any comparable activity for those with limited mobility.

Thanks @kipari for that info.
I do agree with her that one should only be shopping in the store for food or medicine or supplies that are necessary for living.

In any case it seems she has a handful with the Michiganders. LOL that word just sounds wrong.

"
It’s in that climate that Whitmer issued this order, subtitled the "Temporary requirement to suspend activities that are not necessary to sustain or protect life," which extended and added to a stay-at-home order issued March 23.
Tiffany Brown, a spokeswoman for the governor, told PolitiFact that Whitmer’s order does not ban Michiganders from buying any item.
The order says that stores larger than 50,000 square feet must close areas — "by cordoning them off, placing signs in aisles, posting prominent signs, removing goods from shelves, or other appropriate means — that are dedicated to the following classes of goods: Carpet or flooring, furniture, garden centers and plant nurseries, and paint."
Referring to that restriction at a news conference announcing the order, Whitmer said: "If you’re not buying food or medicine or other essential items, you should not be going to the store."
As to gardening, a frequently asked questions document released by the governor’s office states: "The order does not prohibit homeowners from tending to their own yards as they see fit."
Grocery stores, of course, remain open. And neither the order nor the FAQs mention any restriction on the sale of fruit or seeds.
Our ruling
A headline shared on social media inaccurately describes an order that Whitmer issued in response to the coronavirus.
The order does not prohibit gardening or the sale of any particular product in Michigan. Stores in Michigan larger than 50,000 square feet must close areas for garden centers and plant nurseries, as well as those that sell carpet or flooring, furniture and paint.
We rate the statement False.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You can say whatever you like whenever you like. Never said you couldn't, not even in my last post. You bring up race regularly. Why is that? Good grief that tired article again? We have our opinions and mine is just as valid as yours.

Let's not pretend we're stupid when you wiggle with the - you aren't speaking directly to me nonsense. You know exactly what you are doing. At least I don't hide behind that.

When I'm speaking directly to you, or anyone else, I reply to the post. If you think I'm trying to push your buttons without taking responsibility for it you are dead wrong. In this thread I wanted to give @Alex T my perception about open carry acceptance in my country. It had absolutely nothing to do with you, sorry.

I actually don't think I bring up race regularly but if I do, so what? Race is a factor for many things in this country including open carry practices. Here's a newer article (not so tired). https://www.thedailybeast.com/heres-what-happens-when-a-black-man-open-carries-gun. I would love for you to back up your assertion that 2nd Amendment advocates are totally OK with non-whites protesting with firearms. Instead of this tit for tat where you claim "valid opinions" (whatever that means) why not have an actual discussion?

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...but I do not think her order allows leaving the house for exercise.

I think that's what it means... :
7 Exceptions

It's unfortunate that the media are reporting inaccurately and people go out, ignoring social distancing rules to protest against stuff that's not even prohibited

:angryfire::angryfire:

Talk about completely unnecessary and irresponsible!!

Stay safe in NYC, @missy sending you and your family safety and health!

And yes, I'm grateful to be quarantined with my family. I definitely am not bored lol

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @kipari for that info.
I do agree with her that one should only be shopping in the store for food or medicine or supplies that are necessary for living.

In any case it seems she has a handful with the Michiganders. LOL that word just sounds wrong.

"
It’s in that climate that Whitmer issued this order, subtitled the "Temporary requirement to suspend activities that are not necessary to sustain or protect life," which extended and added to a stay-at-home order issued March 23.
Tiffany Brown, a spokeswoman for the governor, told PolitiFact that Whitmer’s order does not ban Michiganders from buying any item.
The order says that stores larger than 50,000 square feet must close areas — "by cordoning them off, placing signs in aisles, posting prominent signs, removing goods from shelves, or other appropriate means — that are dedicated to the following classes of goods: Carpet or flooring, furniture, garden centers and plant nurseries, and paint."
Referring to that restriction at a news conference announcing the order, Whitmer said: "If you’re not buying food or medicine or other essential items, you should not be going to the store."
As to gardening, a frequently asked questions document released by the governor’s office states: "The order does not prohibit homeowners from tending to their own yards as they see fit."
Grocery stores, of course, remain open. And neither the order nor the FAQs mention any restriction on the sale of fruit or seeds.
Our ruling
A headline shared on social media inaccurately describes an order that Whitmer issued in response to the coronavirus.
The order does not prohibit gardening or the sale of any particular product in Michigan. Stores in Michigan larger than 50,000 square feet must close areas for garden centers and plant nurseries, as well as those that sell carpet or flooring, furniture and paint.
We rate the statement False.

How does that not halt the sales of those items if they must be removed from the shelves or cordoned off?

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How does that not halt the sales of those items if they must be removed from the shelves or cordoned off?

One can still buy those items in shops that are smaller. They try to keep people from being in big Mega-supermarkets for leisure shopping purposes. The longer one hangs around there, shopping for hours leisurely, the bigger the risk to get infected.

If people don't care about others and their right NOT to catch Covid 19, the governor is trying to protect staff and everyone else.

I seem to remember that you DH reported people hanging out in stores with their kids and letting them run around for hours. Sorry if I misremember.

I repeat my statement that people who willingly disrespect the rules should ONLY be allowed to do so if they can guarantee that they won't be taking any medical resources away from anyone else.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
If we have no community spread cases and the few diagnosed cases are under quarantine, if we are following ALL of the other measures (wearing a mask, social distancing, limiting trips...we go less than once a week) then maybe it's ok if I buy it at the store...walking 30 feet from the shampoo isle, adding less than a minute to my shopping trip. That does not seem like an extreme request. Fortunately my state has not been this harsh yet but our governor is in talks with Whitmer to form a multistate plan so we may still end up with more restrictions.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

One can still buy those items in shops that are smaller. They try to keep people from being in big Mega-supermarkets for leisure shopping purposes. The longer one hangs around there, shopping for hours leisurely, the bigger the risk to get infected.

If people don't care about others and their right NOT to catch Covid 19, the governor is trying to protect staff and everyone else.

I seem to remember that you DH reported people hanging out in stores with their kids and letting them run around for hours. Sorry if I misremember.

I repeat my statement that people who willingly disrespect the rules should ONLY be allowed to do so if they can guarantee that they won't be taking any medical resources away from anyone else.

I understand why people might think it's fine but imo the government should not be picking and choosing what stores should sell and especially not by square footage. Sure people are coming to DH's work to buy things and we're glad they are since we need his job. It's a balancing act that no one knows what is the best call. I err on the side of less overreach by government.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I’d go one step further and say they should waive their rights to all medical treatment, except testing, for coronavirus. You can’t cure stupid, and why should hospital employees risk their lives to treat these idiots?

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock

We are not in Michigan but here those others stores are all closed...there are no smaller shops. I believe the same is in Michigan...the paint stores, smaller garden nurseries, furniture...those are already deemed non-essential an have been closed. The problem the governor has is that people can still buy non-essential items at essential stores so she wants that to stop.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results