shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s for dinner tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 2:47:06 PM
Author: ckrickett
Date: 8/6/2009 2:31:37 PM

Author: DiaDiva

I''m making this right now in the crockpot for dinner. Made some modifications but the recipe was originally from allrecipes.com

Beef and Eggplant Stew

SERVES 4

• 1 lbs lean stewing beef, cut in 1½ inch chunks

• 2 medium onions, sliced thin

• 4 garlic cloves, minced

• 4 tablespoon olive oil

• 1 large eggplant

• 2 stalks celery

• 1 cup beef stock

• 1 (1 lb) can tomato sauce

• ¼ teaspoon sugar

• ½ teaspoon cinnamon

• 1/8 teaspoon garam masala

• 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

1. Wash the eggplant and cut into 1 inch thick segments.

2. In large skillet, brown the beef, onions, garlic and eggplant in olive oil until dark golden-brown.

3. Place in crock pot.

4. Combine the beef stock with the tomato sauce, sugar, spices, and salt and pepper to taste, and stir it into the meat.

5. Cover and cook on low heat for 8-10 hours.

6. Serve with pasta or rice.

yum!

Best of all....it''s really easy!!!

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooohh, I wanna play too! I''ve been trying my hand in the kitchen much more since I tied the knot, especially since I have all sorts of new cookware and gadgets to play with.
28.gif

I made some roasted tomato sauce (from scratch!) two days ago and we had it with lean turkey meatballs and penne. Tonight I''m making veal parmiggiana with rosemary focaccia and home-made oil & vinegar coleslaw.

I got the roasted tomato sauce recipe when we took a cooking class at Calphalon. It''s delicious. I''ll post the recipe if anyone wants to try a hand at it.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m making this right now in the crockpot for dinner. Made some modifications but the recipe was originally from allrecipes.com

Beef and Eggplant Stew
SERVES 4
• 4 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 large eggplant
• 2 stalks celery
• 1 cup beef stock
• ¼ teaspoon sugar
• ½ teaspoon cinnamon

2. In large skillet, brown the beef, onions, garlic and eggplant in olive oil until dark golden-brown.
3. Place in crock pot.
4. Combine the beef stock with the tomato sauce, sugar, spices, and salt and pepper to taste, and stir it into the meat.
This sounds yum! Have you tried it before? Love to know how it turned out.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re going Crock Pot cuisine tonight!

This is my go-to shredded BBQ chicken recipe. It''s super easy, and really delicious. Love that allrecipes.com!

Ingredients
6 frozen skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 (12 ounce) bottle barbeque sauce
1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Directions
1. Place chicken in a slow cooker. In a bowl, mix the barbeque sauce, Italian salad dressing, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over the chicken.
2. Cover, and cook 3 to 4 hours on High or 6 to 8 hours on Low.

My notes
- I never cook frozen meat, I always use fresh chicken breasts.
- This is important: Use a BBQ sauce that has a molasses base, not a vinegar base. The molasses-based sauce will give you a nice, thick sauce when it''s all cooked. The vinegar-based sauce will be runny.

This is so easy, and so filling. My FIL loves this recipe, he requests it all the time.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I heart this thread.
30.gif

Last night I just cut up 1" chunks of chicken breast, pan fried in some butter. Removed the chicken, added more butter thinly sliced shallots, thyme, crook neck squash, saute and deglaze with voignier, add lemon juice and reduce, add a touch of cream, chopped spinach and wilt, tossed with some spaghetti.

No idea what to call it, and at this point, I don''t think it''s blog worthy. My photos stunk last night.
3.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
tonight we''re off to see Paul McCartney play at Fenway Park, so we''ll probably go to Uno''s or Burton''s Grill as they have gluten free menus...I would love to have a fenway frank and sam adams for dinner though
7.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 4:20:40 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
tonight we're off to see Paul McCartney play at Fenway Park, so we'll probably go to Uno's or Burton's Grill as they have gluten free menus...I would love to have a fenway frank and sam adams for dinner though
7.gif
Have fun, sounds like a fab time!!! Unos, yum!
3.gif
sorry about that you can't eat gluten.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went to Trader Joe''s and bought up a bunch of goodies so I think we will try this chicken potstickers and make a nice veggie stirfry, yum!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 4:20:40 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
tonight we're off to see Paul McCartney play at Fenway Park, so we'll probably go to Uno's or Burton's Grill as they have gluten free menus...I would love to have a fenway frank and sam adams for dinner though
7.gif
I'm exceedingly jealous!!! He's coming to DFW, and playing at the new Cowboys Stadium, which is really, really far away from our house, so my DH was totally opposed to going. I hooe you have a blast!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
gosh you guys are making me sooo hungry. Crab cakes are my all time favorite, scallops, I love. Lasagna, I could live on :)

I''m making chicken and dumplings from scratch right now. But here''s the catch, I hate making homemade dumplings that
you have to roll out. Hate it! So, I''ll probably use Bisquick. I know, shame, shame !! So who makes their own dumplings?
Lauren, I have no doubt you do girl! And for those who do - spill your secrets!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 4:45:57 PM
Author: bebe
gosh you guys are making me sooo hungry. Crab cakes are my all time favorite, scallops, I love. Lasagna, I could live on :)

I'm making chicken and dumplings from scratch right now. But here's the catch, I hate making homemade dumplings that
you have to roll out. Hate it! So, I'll probably use Bisquick. I know, shame, shame !! So who makes their own dumplings?
LOL, I am a Texas transplant, and embarassingly I've never made chicken and dumplings.

One of my friends made a fantastic Vegetarian Chicken and Dumplings dish, though.

http://jenniferscooking.blogspot.com/2009_06_01_archive.html

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 4:45:57 PM
Author: bebe

I''m making chicken and dumplings from scratch right now. But here''s the catch, I hate making homemade dumplings that
you have to roll out. Hate it! So, I''ll probably use Bisquick. I know, shame, shame !! So who makes their own dumplings?
Not me.
9.gif

creepaway3.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 4:06:48 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
I heart this thread.
30.gif

Last night I just cut up 1'' chunks of chicken breast, pan fried in some butter. Removed the chicken, added more butter thinly sliced shallots, thyme, crook neck squash, saute and deglaze with voignier, add lemon juice and reduce, add a touch of cream, chopped spinach and wilt, tossed with some spaghetti.

No idea what to call it, and at this point, I don''t think it''s blog worthy. My photos stunk last night.
3.gif

This sounds amazing. Was it not blog worthy because of the pictures, or the flavor? I want to try it!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
We had Chicken Marsala with peas and egg noodles.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 7:11:28 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
Would you have a recipe on that to share? I love this, but have never tried making it.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 3:46:51 PM
Author: kama_s

Beef and Eggplant Stew

SERVES 4

• 4 tablespoon olive oil

• 1 large eggplant

• 2 stalks celery

• 1 cup beef stock

• ¼ teaspoon sugar

• ½ teaspoon cinnamon

3. Place in crock pot.

This sounds yum! Have you tried it before? Love to know how it turned out.

Hi Kama,
This is the first time I made it and it was pretty good - a keeper. DH has requested that I make this again
2.gif

BTW, I forgot to add that I added salt, pepper and cornstarch to the beef before browning it. I also added more broth because I like some gravy over my rice.

There is another recipe that I added in the Chicken recipe thread - Indian Tomato Chicken and that''s totally delish.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 7:30:44 PM
Author: Ellen

Would you have a recipe on that to share? I love this, but have never tried making it.

It's pretty easy. It takes me about 15 - 20 minutes.

1. Of course, you boil the peas and the egg noodles [in water salted to taste - separate pans, of course - you decide how many peas and how much pasta you want - I use 12 oz of pasta to serve 4]. Add butter to taste. Keep warm if your timing is as good as mine.
9.gif

2. For the chicken:
- in a 12" frying pan or sautee pan sautee some sliced or quartered mushrooms in some butter until they are done to your liking ["some" is a technical term in Italian cooking - LOL! maybe 1-2 TBS of butter and 6 - 12 oz of mushrooms - to taste]
- remove mushrooms to a bowl
- in the same pan, sautee 2lbs or so of VERY lightly salted boneless chicken breast in some more butter until just cooked through [cut into cubes if you like otherwise you can just halve them]
- remove chicken to a bowl [same bowl as the mushrooms if you want]
- in the same pan, add about 3/4 - 1 cup Marsala along with 1 tsp rubbed sage and 1 tsp chicken base [or a bouillon cube - this gives you most of the salt] and boil it for a minute or so
- sprinkle some Wondra flour slowly to thicken the Marsala sauce [as you simmer it] to desired consistency [maybe 1 TBS or so] - it should coat a spoon when done.
- return the mushrooms and chicken to pan - combine with sauce - salt and pepper to taste

3. Serve the chicken over the egg noodles. You can have the peas on top or on the side.

This has taken me longer to type than it did to cook! LOL!

This should serve 3 - 4 people. Some nice crusty bread would be good and, of course, a robust white or light red wine.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
We are having mexican tonight!! HOT spicy yummy food!!

nomnomnom

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Yum! I love Mexican and other spicy food. Too bad DH can''t tolerate it.
7.gif

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
BF and i made a small personal pizza to share. we also had some rigatoni pasta tossed in a tomato basil and cream sauce with chorizo and spinach. it was so good...i''m definitely having leftovers for lunch!

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 9:36:07 PM
Yum! I love Mexican and other spicy food. Too bad DH can''t tolerate it.
7.gif
When I make mexican food, i always make two batches. One for FI (mild) and one for me (EXTRA hot)
3.gif

I love cooking and food so much so I don''t mind the extra effort
2.gif

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
Beef with sweet basil, onion and chilli and a bed of egg friend rice
18.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 9:27:56 PM

Date: 8/6/2009 7:30:44 PM
Author: Ellen

It''s pretty easy. It takes me about 15 - 20 minutes.

1. Of course, you boil the peas and the egg noodles [in water salted to taste - separate pans, of course - you decide how many peas and how much pasta you want - I use 12 oz of pasta to serve 4]. Add butter to taste. Keep warm if your timing is as good as mine.
9.gif

2. For the chicken:
- in a 12'' frying pan or sautee pan sautee some sliced or quartered mushrooms in some butter until they are done to your liking [''some'' is a technical term in Italian cooking - LOL! maybe 1-2 TBS of butter and 6 - 12 oz of mushrooms - to taste]
- remove mushrooms to a bowl
- in the same pan, sautee 2lbs or so of VERY lightly salted boneless chicken breast in some more butter until just cooked through [cut into cubes if you like otherwise you can just halve them]
- remove chicken to a bowl [same bowl as the mushrooms if you want]
- in the same pan, add about 3/4 - 1 cup Marsala along with 1 tsp rubbed sage and 1 tsp chicken base [or a bouillon cube - this gives you most of the salt] and boil it for a minute or so
- sprinkle some Wondra flour slowly to thicken the Marsala sauce [as you simmer it] to desired consistency [maybe 1 TBS or so] - it should coat a spoon when done.
- return the mushrooms and chicken to pan - combine with sauce - salt and pepper to taste

3. Serve the chicken over the egg noodles. You can have the peas on top or on the side.

This has taken me longer to type than it did to cook! LOL!

This should serve 3 - 4 people. Some nice crusty bread would be good and, of course, a robust white or light red wine.
Thank you DB!! Love the definition of some.
9.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I just read this thread and YAY so many ideas. SO and I are moving in together into a two bedroom condo this coming month, and I need recipe ideas, as he doesn''t like repetitive things. I''m starting now on cooking so we can experiment and weed out the bad apples now. Tonight I''m making
" White Pasta" with baby shrimp. I call it white pasta, it''s just an idea taken from reading Under the Tuscan Sun... Angel hair pasta (whole grain) with olive oil, herbs, and crumbled parmesan. I sometimes have just a plate of that, but SO would never agree to it. So baby shrimp it is. I might steam some broccoli to have on the side.

btw - I''ll have peanut mms pls. thnx.
18.gif
11.gif
27.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re going to Morton''s tonight for a friend''s birthday. Cajun ribeye, here I come!
Mmmmm, Morton''s. Nom nom nom.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 5:19:28 PM
Author: Haven
We''re going to Morton''s tonight for a friend''s birthday. Cajun ribeye, here I come!

Mmmmm, Morton''s. Nom nom nom.

ooooh haven! i LOVE morton''s!

last night i had the most fabulous osso bucco - YUM! had it with creamy mashed potatoes and steamed carrots, beans and broccoli. my tummy was just SO happy!

(repeating frantically - "despite being on vacation, i must not put on weight, i must not put on weight...")

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Roasted chicken thighs served with baked sweet potato fries and roasted vegetable pasta. Sounds complicated but it''s quite easy.

I''m making this version of roast chicken for the first time. Hopefully it''ll be good since it got rave reviews from allrecipes but I also modified based on what I have on hand.

Roast chicken:
INGREDIENTS:
8 pieces of chicken thigh with skin (with as much fat removed as possible)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon brown sugar
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground paprika
½ teaspoon ginger powder
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1½ teaspoon garlic powder
1½ teaspoon onion powder
1 onion – sliced
Zucchini sliced
Green pepper – sliced thickly
Sliced asparagus spears
Garlic (in their paper, do not peel)

DIRECTIONS:
Chicken:
1. Remove as much fat as possible from the chicken.
2. In a bowl, mix the spices together. Rub the chicken thighs with the mixture. Cover chicken, and place in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C).
4. Place chicken thigh in a pan lined with foil.
5. Roast 25 minutes in the preheated oven (covered). Drain the fat.
6. Reduce heat to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C), put all vegetables (including garlic) in the pan now.
and continue roasting 15 minutes (covered).
7. Remove foil. Baste chicken with pan drippings, reduce heat to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C), and continue roasting 20 minutes, to an internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C). 7.
8. Let stand 20 minutes before serving

Concurrently, I will make the following:

Baked sweet potato fries
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Peel the sweet potato and cut into long wedges [NOTE: you can rinse it in the sink as long as you dry it off very. If it''s still wet the olive oil won''t coat the fries as well, which will lead to soggy fries]
3. Sprinkle a good pinch of sea salt over them, and then apply lost of freshly ground black pepper.
4. Drizzle with olive oil (Probably about 1/8 cup, I don''t know, I just eyeball things.)
Now, mix it all together on the baking sheet. Make sure you''re scooping the salt, pepper and oil from the bottom and mixing it in. They should look glossy, but they shouldn''t be sitting in a pool of olive oil.
5. Once everything is mixed, space out the fries on the baking sheet. Make sure they''re all evenly spaced and not touching. They''ll get soggy otherwise!
6. Put them in the oven for 15 minutes. Do not open the oven or fidget with them during this time. Just let them cook.
7. Then, take them out and flip them. Once they''re flipped, put them back in the oven for 10 minutes.
8. Take them out and serve with the chicken.

Roasted vegetable pasta:
1. Cook skinny spaghetti.
2. Remove the roasted garlic from the paper.
3. When the pasta is ready, mix with roasted vegetables (from the chicken pan).
4. Salt/pepper to taste.
5. Add grated parmesan over pasta.

Wow...it took me more time to type this than to prepare it. Hahaha...

Hope you guys like it. I''m still baking the chicken....dinner is in 45 minutes....haha

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
its Red Robins tonight... the DH loves the California burger.

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/7/2009 6:22:00 PM
Author: D&T
its Red Robins tonight... the DH loves the California burger.

yum! i''m in love with their garlic steak fries too.
18.gif

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
I made a Shepherd''s Pie the other day... with ground turkey. Tasted similiar to a savory chicken pot pie, and FI seemed to enjoy it!

Last night was salmon and basil pesto pasta, with curried zucchini soup (leftovers) on the side.

Tonight, I will make some steak for FI, and I will have flounder
18.gif
with...

Sun-dried Tomato, Feta and Pine Nut Salad

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 loaf Italian bread, cubed
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes
2 (16 ounce) packages mixed salad greens
4 green onions, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled

DIRECTIONS
Preheat broiler. Toss 3 cups cubed Italian bread with olive oil. Season with seasoned salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Spread out in a single layer in a well oiled 9x13 inch baking dish. Broil until toasted, turning to brown evenly. Set croutons aside to cool.
Spread pine nuts on a baking sheet, place on bottom rack of the oven, and toast under broiler. This should only take a few minutes, so watch carefully to prevent burning. Set aside to cool.
Soak sun-dried tomatoes in hot water for 5 to 10 minutes, or until soft. Drain, and slice.
In a large salad bowl, toss mixed greens with green onions. Top with croutons, sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, and feta.

(I''m going to just buy croutons, me thinks...)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results