shape
carat
color
clarity

What''s for dinner tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last night we had steak that I marinated in garlic and red wine. We served it kabob style with grilled vidalia onions and yellow peppers.

Tonight we''re having chicken of some sort...that''s what I''m defrosting anyway. We have a funeral to go to, so we''ll see if I feel like cooking when we get home.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Zucchini "Crab" Cakes
Recipe #30522 | 20 min | 5 min prep |
(37) RATE IT NOW Print Recipe
Your review has been submitted for approval and will appear shortly.
By: yooper
Jun 6, 2002
If you love crab cakes and live in an area where fresh crabmeat is not available, these are a great substitution! They really do taste like crabcakes! Make sure to handle the mixture gently when forming into patties.
SERVES 4 -6 (change servings and units)

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups grated zucchini
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup minced onion
1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning (may add more)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup vegetable oil (for frying)

Directions
1In a large bowl, combine zucchini, egg, butter or margarine.
2Stir in seasoned bread crumbs, minced onion and seasonings.
3Mix well.
4Shape mixture into patties (see Note).
5Dredge in flour.
6In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot.
7Fry patties until golden brown on both sides.
8Note: For easier handeling and forming into patties, flour your hands and then lightly roll mixture into a ball and pat gently into patties.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re doing the Bill Phillips Body-for-Life program, so I made Asian Beef Stir-Fry from his Eating for Life recipe book.

It was delicious.

Asian Beef Stir-Fry

Serves 4

4 portions spaghetti (about 8 oz uncooked)
4 portions lean steak (about 1 lb)
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, sliced
4 celery stalks, sliced
1 head napa cabbage, shredded
1/2 cup lite soy sauce

Directions

1. Prep spaghetti according to its package directions; drain and set aside.

2. While the spaghetti is cooking, slice steak lengthwise into 2-inch strips. Cut crosswise into 1/8 inch-thick slices

3. Lightly coat a large skillet or wok with cooking spray. Over med-high heat, stir-fry red pepper flakes and garlic for 1 min.

4. Add the steak strips to the skillet, stir-fry just until no longer pink, approx. 2 mins. Remove the steak from skillet and set aside.

5. Lightly recoat the skillet with cooking spray. Stir-fry onion and celery until tender, approx. 5 mins. Add cabbage and cook until crisp-tender, approx. 2 more mins.

6. Return steak to skillet. Add cooked spaghetti and lite soy sauce; mix gently and heat thoroughly.

7. Divide into four portions, serve and enjoy!

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Couscous with spicy black bean mash.

For recipe please refer to Healthier Lifestyle--> Vegan Stuff
9.gif

Sounds so YUM

ice-queen

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 3:58:31 PM
Author: Haven
We''re going Crock Pot cuisine tonight!

This is my go-to shredded BBQ chicken recipe. It''s super easy, and really delicious. Love that allrecipes.com!

Ingredients
6 frozen skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 (12 ounce) bottle barbeque sauce
1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Haven: I have a crock pot that has yet to see that light of day, and this looks yummy!!! What do you serve it with? More importantly, how do you serve it...as a sandwich?....just plain? Do you just use a typical bottled Italian dressing, like Wishbone, Kraft, etc?

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
*sigh*

>ibuckledcompletelyandhadcake<

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/12/2009 2:48:36 AM
Author: whitby_2773
*sigh*

LOL i can sympathise. I baked a huge stickydate pudding with butterscotch sauce for my bday and eventhough I have given most away to family, friends, and colleagues, I still have LOTs left.

As a result, I have been eating a slice every night for dessert (with ice cream)

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/6/2009 6:52:03 PM

Date: 8/6/2009 4:06:48 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
I heart this thread.
30.gif

Last night I just cut up 1'' chunks of chicken breast, pan fried in some butter. Removed the chicken, added more butter thinly sliced shallots, thyme, crook neck squash, saute and deglaze with voignier, add lemon juice and reduce, add a touch of cream, chopped spinach and wilt, tossed with some spaghetti.

No idea what to call it, and at this point, I don''t think it''s blog worthy. My photos stunk last night.
3.gif

This sounds amazing. Was it not blog worthy because of the pictures, or the flavor? I want to try it!
Mostly just the pictures. The dish itself was Om Nom Nom.
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tonight is the quintessential summer fare.

BBQ''d chicken

Cole slaw

Corn on the cob

18.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2009 2:54:42 AM
Author: cindygenit

*sigh*

ibuckledcompletelyandhadcake

LOL i can sympathise. I baked a huge stickydate pudding with butterscotch sauce for my bday and eventhough I have given most away to family, friends, and colleagues, I still have LOTs left.

As a result, I have been eating a slice every night for dessert (with ice cream)

will be right over cindy after i swing past ellen's for BBQ chicken, coleslaw and corn!
31.gif

(quick! somebody get me a plane!)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2009 1:33:41 AM
Author: ice-queen
Date: 8/6/2009 3:58:31 PM
We''re going Crock Pot cuisine tonight!\
This is my go-to shredded BBQ chicken recipe. It''s super easy, and really delicious. Love that allrecipes.com!

Ingredients
6 frozen skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 (12 ounce) bottle barbeque sauce
1/2 cup Italian salad dressing
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Haven: I have a crock pot that has yet to see that light of day, and this looks yummy!!! What do you serve it with? More importantly, how do you serve it...as a sandwich?....just plain? Do you just use a typical bottled Italian dressing, like Wishbone, Kraft, etc?

I use Italian dressing with all natural ingredients, I just find the cheapest brand that meets that requirement!

I used Annie''s Natural Tuscany Italian dressing this last time, and Bullfrog BBQ sauce, which is also all-natural. It was DELICIOUS but spicy because the Bullfrog BBQ sauce has a definite kick to it. The hotter the better for us, so it was perfect.

I buy thick rolls and we slop the chicken on them, it''s delicious. DH will also just eat it in giant forkfulls plain sometimes because he doesn''t want to fill up on bread.

We usually eat a chopped salad with it with lots of veggies and we mix some oil and vinegar together with salt and pepper for a dressing.

You should DEFINITELY try it, ice-queen, you won''t regret it! I can''t remember if the All Recipes site tells you this, but I let it cook for three hours on high and then take two forks to the chicken to pull it apart. I do it right there in the Crock Pot, it shreds so easily but it does take about ten minutes to do it. Once the chicken is shredded it gets much thicker because the sauce gets all sopped up.

I''d also never throw in frozen chicken, but that''s what the recipe says to do. I thaw it out, first.

Oh man, I really want this now! We eat this a lot in the winter. The Crock Pot is GREAT, especially for big crowds. I make chili in mine a lot, as well as buffalo chicken dip and the like when we have UFC parties. It''s so easy, you can''t go wrong.

I''m making Bill Phillips turkey meatballs and spaghetti for dinner, I''ll post the recipe if it turns out any good.

I hope you try it! The BBQ sauce really does make a difference, make sure you use one that has molasses listed before vinegar in the ingredients, that way it will be nice and thick instead of soupy.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2009 1:25:24 PM
Author: Ellen
Tonight is the quintessential summer fare.

BBQ''d chicken

Cole slaw

Corn on the cob

18.gif
That''s my fave!!!!
18.gif
18.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
*sigh*

Oh Whitby, I hear ya. My Achilles'' heel is cheese.

Sometimes I can hear it calling to me from the fridge . . . "Lori! LOOOOOOOOOOOORI!!!! I am the perfect texture today, you must eat me now!"

DH never hears it, but I think it''s because he''s older and already losing his hearing.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2009 1:49:28 PM

Sometimes I can hear it calling to me from the fridge . . . ''Lori! LOOOOOOOOOOOORI!!!! I am the perfect texture today, you must eat me now!''

DH never hears it, but I think it''s because he''s older and already losing his hearing.
You would have loved what I had last weekend. We went to some friends for BBQ, and as an appetizer, she cubed up some cheese they bought while on vaca in Wisconsin. I didn''t see the label for the name, but it was a white Cheddar cheese with a good hint of Parmesan. Not dense, but rather light and creamy in texture. Oh my lord...
18.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2009 2:21:21 PM
Date: 8/12/2009 1:49:28 PM

Sometimes I can hear it calling to me from the fridge . . . ''Lori! LOOOOOOOOOOOORI!!!! I am the perfect texture today, you must eat me now!''

You would have loved what I had last weekend. We went to some friends for BBQ, and as an appetizer, she cubed up some cheese they bought while on vaca in Wisconsin. I didn''t see the label for the name, but it was a white Cheddar cheese with a good hint of Parmesan. Not dense, but rather light and creamy in texture. Oh my lord...
18.gif

i totally get this - great food can take on a religious feel of the enraptured kind.

well, it can for me, anyway...

17.gif
9.gif
17.gif
9.gif
17.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen, you''re killing me here!
That sounds divine.

DH thinks I''m crazy, but I force him into regular ventures across the border into Wisconsin so we can visit Mars Cheese Castle.

Whitby--You''re right, it is like a religious feel. I simply cannot live without my dill havarti.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Mmmm cheesee... i can eat a box of laughing cow all by myself...

and sliced crackerbarrel vintage....
9.gif

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
tonight i made chicken kiev over some egg noddles, and a salad using some local veggies that BFs''s parents got for us at a farmer''s market.

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
cheese....*DROOL*

my ultimate indulgence is brie cheese melted on top of a lightly toasted baguette.
18.gif

BF is from Wisconsin so naturally, he''s a cheese lover. for our first anniversary, i surprised him by flying us out to WI to see the Packers play and we came back home with a duffle bag of cheese. i never had cheese curds before, but tried them for the first time while we were there. every once in a while, i order some online just so BF has a taste of home...and for me to indulge too.
2.gif

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/12/2009 9:00:20 PM
Author: vip0802
cheese....*DROOL*

my ultimate indulgence is brie cheese melted on top of a lightly toasted baguette.
18.gif

BF is from Wisconsin so naturally, he''s a cheese lover. for our first anniversary, i surprised him by flying us out to WI to see the Packers play and we came back home with a duffle bag of cheese. i never had cheese curds before, but tried them for the first time while we were there. every once in a while, i order some online just so BF has a taste of home...and for me to indulge too.
2.gif
Oooh... what is that?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sausage tortellini tossed with garlic sauteed in olive oil, cubed brie, and an heirloom tomato salsa... and whatever else is hanging around that looks like it might work with that dish....

and I think we're pouring a shiraz tonight.
2.gif

18.gif

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
Somehow, I just caught wind of this thread, but I LOOOOVE getting all the ideas! Might be a new favorite place to play, haha! Okay, so last night was balsamic pork medallions with veggies and salads, and tonight was barbecued chicken with lemon broccoli and garlic bread. I''m thinking tomorrow night will be baked cavatelli with salads or asparagus on the side.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
We had Thanksgiving in August last night: turkey, mashed potatoes, peas, and gravy. It was DELICIOUS. An odd meal for this time of year, but I really wanted turkey dinner.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Cindy - it is yum!!! We actually had the couscous with spicy black beans last night. It was sooo good. It''s gone this AM
9.gif
18.gif

cellososweet

Brilliant_Rock
oooh I want to play. I''m not sure about tonight because I''m not feeling well. But this past week''s dishes have included: Indian Cauliflower soup, Veggie Paella, Black Bean and Corn Chilli and Oven Roasted Veggies with french bread.

If anyone needs vegetarian recipes, I''m working on a personal cookbook and have over 75 recipes. :) So, ask away. :)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2009 11:35:15 AM
Author: KimberlyH
We had Thanksgiving in August last night: turkey, mashed potatoes, peas, and gravy. It was DELICIOUS. An odd meal for this time of year, but I really wanted turkey dinner.
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif

35.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kimberly--YUM! I love Thanksgiving dinner on non-Thanksgiving evenings.

I wanted to pop in to share that I am making a *delicious* marinara sauce right now. It''s been simmering for about two hours now, and I''ve probably eaten half a cup worth in little tastings.

I found the original recipe here at allrecipes.com.

INGREDIENTS

2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes *High quality is SO important, here. I used canned crushed tomatoes instead, that''s what we have.*
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
6 tablespoons olive oil (I used only 2 tbsp)
1/3 cup finely diced onion
1/2 cup white wine
I added 1 tbsp brown sugar

DIRECTIONS

1. In a food processor place Italian tomatoes, tomato paste, chopped parsley, minced garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth. (I just mixed by hand)

2. In a large skillet over medium heat saute the finely chopped onion in olive oil for 2 minutes. Add the blended tomato sauce and white wine.

3. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. (I always simmer for hours, it makes it nice and thick.)

I''ll tell you how the Bill Phillips healthy turkey meatballs turn out, I''m going to brown them and then throw them in the sauce when I have a half hour left of simmering.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2009 12:34:34 PM

Date: 8/13/2009 11:35:15 AM
Author: KimberlyH
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif

35.gif
I was licking my lips after dinner last night. It was so good! Your BBQ sounded great too, Ellen.

Haven, I think that''s the first time I''ve had Thanksgiving dinner during summer. Every once in a while we''ll make it during the winter, but not at this time of year.

Tonight we''re having parmesan/bacon risotto with caprese salads. I''m hungry and it smells good!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kimberly--It''s like you are channeling my personal favorite foods or something.
Risotto is one of my top five favorite things to eat, right along with caprese salad! We eat caprese salad a lot, but surprisingly, I''ve never made risotto. Hmmm, must go find a recipe . . .

If you come back tomorrow saying you''re eating either mashed potatoes or breakfast for dinner, I''m going to think that you''re my appetite doppelganger.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2009 10:14:03 PM
Kimberly--It''s like you are channeling my personal favorite foods or something.
Risotto is one of my top five favorite things to eat, right along with caprese salad! We eat caprese salad a lot, but surprisingly, I''ve never made risotto. Hmmm, must go find a recipe . . .

If you come back tomorrow saying you''re eating either mashed potatoes or breakfast for dinner, I''m going to think that you''re my appetite doppelganger.
We had mashed potatoes last night, Haven. Risotto is pretty easy to make; I love it w/ porcini mushrooms. Cooking Light has a great porcini risotto recipe that I use a lot. The husband cooked tonight and he used a recipe from his Italian cookbook. It was so good.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results