shape
carat
color
clarity

What's a nice mm size for a CS pendant?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I'd like something that I comfortably wear often, but I'm not sure of a mm size that looks good on the neckline. Minimalism is generally my friend, so I'm thinking something along the 6-8mm range. What do you all think?

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Minimalism is my friend too !

I wondered the same thing.
I bought a Rainbow Bezel necklace from Daniel M and I really like it
The stone is 6 mm, and seems just right to me
Thus, for me, I think 6-8 mm is perfect

I don't really enjoy larger gaudier stuff anyway, to me it seems
really old-lady-ish
not that there's anything wrong with that, and seeing as some would
consider me an olde lady...... :lol:

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
I like 6-10mm, depends on the stone, its shape and what I can afford!

A smaller, but deeply colored stone has a lot of presence, even in a smaller size. I think less saturated colors, such as aquamarine, may need a bit more size, particularly if they have a low RI, and don't tend to sparkle as much.

A very sparkly stone can be smaller because it declares itself with a bit of fire. A cut with less fire may need a bit more size to be noticeable. Minimal needn't "blend".

Laura

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
the size of the stone can be a factor but how the stone reflects light & color should be considered to-iv got demantoid garnet as other garnets & a few tourmalines that throw light back at you with serious flash & these stones are not big-1-4 cts each-but show light very well & as single stones would still make a serious pendent-steve...

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I must be crazy because I was going to say 16-20 mm, and I sort of had that big amethyst supernova of barry's in mind. I hope that doesnt make me old-ladyish. Really, here in NYC one needs to have stones with some heft to them to hurl at taxi cabs that run over your toes or try to nudge you out of the crosswalk

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Apparently I like my stones large. Yesterday I wore a 15mm round light blue topaz pendant, I picked up my 14x12 magenta colored tourmaline from the jeweler yesterday, and I got my pictures from DanielM last night on my 15x20 amethyst pendant. All of that being said, I think in the future I will probably go with smaller pendants. I have a 10mm zincite trilliant pendant, and I think that's a really good size. I also have a 6mm bubble gum pink tourmaline within a larger, modern argentium setting, and the stone stands out (primarily because of the color). But I think that if it was a plain basket or bezel setting, that the 6mm might feel too small for me. But obviously my tastes run large.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
I'm with AustenNut in that a 6mm plain basket setting would be too small for me. My 10.5mm apatite is in a plain basket setting - I wear it with everything, and it doesn't feel to big to me: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pink-tourmaline-pendant-from-nyc-plus-apatite.146635/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pink-tourmaline-pendant-from-nyc-plus-apatite.146635/[/URL]

The above thread also has a 6mm rubellite in a halo setting, and because the stone is incredibly vibrant, it still really pops. I'm thinking that you probably aren't interested in a halo, so if you do a smaller stone, I'd recommend going for something well-saturated. Then again, I've seen lots of delicate, half-carat, diamond necklaces, and they look pretty too.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are the main ones I wear:

ranging from the 6.5mm possible cuprian to the almost 10mm Mahenge, I seem to average around 8mm. Sorry the stones are dirty and the picture is blurry...

IMG_0747 freke.jpg

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I like at least an 8mm stone. I just gave an 8 mm umba rhodalite garnet pendent to a 17 yr old and she loved it.
I'm just the opposite of those that like small stones. You can barely see them. A 6mm , unless a diamond would be too small.

Annette

I never though large stones meant "old lady". I thought they meant "rich"

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
smitcompton|1289151847|2757577 said:
Hi,

I like at least an 8mm stone. I just gave an 8 mm umba rhodalite garnet pendent to a 17 yr old and she loved it.
I'm just the opposite of those that like small stones. You can barely see them. A 6mm , unless a diamond would be too small.

Annette

I never though large stones meant "old lady". I thought they meant "rich"

They just seem that way TO ME!!!
It just seems like what I've noticed, that's all...
Plus, I am in denial, so I wear smaller stuff, but that's what I like personally.
That, plus minimal, I really mostly wear my things to work,
so big and bling isn't always appropriate....

I love your pendants, Freke :love:

edited to add: make HUGE EXCEPTION for that DIVINE Phoenix ring :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thank you O'Shiney, Largo'smom, Steve, VL, Austen, Cellentani, Freke, and Smit!

I'd love a smaller, bright bright sort of gem. I'm thinking red or green or blue, but you all have convinced me to bump my ideal size up to 7-8mm.

O'Shiney-- I get you! I can see myself going bigger than this pendant, but I'm not really one to be "bold" with my jewelry either, so I totally get you.

Largo'smom--Good point about the RI! I'm looking at tsavs or some sort of sapphire. Both should be sparkly, but especially if they are small, I'll want to make sure they're cut relatively well.

Steve-- Definitely a good point.

VL-- You are more bold than I!

Austen-- You too! My setting will most likely be very simple, so I think I'm scrapping my 6mm idea and aiming for at least 7.5.

Cell--- Gorgeous pendants!! I'm not going for a halo, so you are right, a good strong color will be necessary if I'm going with a smaller stone. Thank you for the link! (I love the halo's too.)

Freke-- Your Mahenge was my inspiration. Very, very pretty. Thank you including the shot, it really helps to visualize.

Smit-- Bumping up from 6 it is!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results