• A 2ct Diamond?

Votes: 46 67.6%
  • Or a 1ct Unheated Ruby?

Votes: 22 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The sun is shining

Shiny_Rock
A quick poll; if you had the choice between a 1ct unheated ruby or a 2ct diamond, assuming you had neither, what would you choose?

Part of me questions if one is going to rise significantly higher in price over time to prevent it from being accessible monetarily, although one could argue the unheated ruby by it's very nature is likely to become inaccessible due to availability.

I am on the fence with this one.

Over to you.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My vote shouldn't count.. I picked the diamond and I know "ZERO" about rubies including unheated but it sounds like it might be rare....and fabulous!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Although red is my favorite color.....Diamonds are this girls best friend 2 carats :appl: :appl: :appl:

The sun is shining

Shiny_Rock
Mayk|1383870636|3552418 said:
My vote shouldn't count.. I picked the diamond and I know "ZERO" about rubies including unheated but it sounds like it might be rare....and fabulous!

That's precisely why your vote does count! Very few people have knowledge when it comes to the real world, unless you meet a fellow CS nut that is :wink2:

smilligan

Shiny_Rock
Like Mayk, I know nothing about rubies. As such, I went with the diamond. Is a 2 ct diamond comparable to a 1 ct unheated ruby? I have no idea. All I know is that diamonds are beautiful, easily recognizable, and very valuable (for reasons other than rarity). Plus, the diamond is twice as big as the ruby. What are the stats? Are we assuming that they are both perfect stones?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a glitter girl not a color girl for a main stone. Diamond for me!

The sun is shining

Shiny_Rock
smilligan said:
Like Mayk, I know nothing about rubies. As such, I went with the diamond. Is a 2 ct diamond comparable to a 1 ct unheated ruby? I have no idea. All I know is that diamonds are beautiful, easily recognizable, and very valuable (for reasons other than rarity). Plus, the diamond is twice as big as the ruby. What are the stats? Are we assuming that they are both perfect stones?

Lets assume the diamond is a J, SI1 ideal cut; the ruby is of Sri Lankan (Ceylon) origin.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much as I love rubies, if I had neither, then it has got to be a diamond!

DK :))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love diamonds. And am not a colored stone girl. Not because I don't like color I do. But because I truly ONLY care about color and sparkle. Not the unheated/ treatment. Not the natural aspect of it. I don't care I'd its mined or cultured

So if I wanted a ruby. I'd get a ruby. But not an expensive one.

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
I just love diamonds. Ruby is my birthstone though. I always think I should get one. I like sapphires more than rubies.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
twelve thousand dollar diamonds are $144,000. a dozen. A dozen 1 ct unheated rubies of similar value might take you a lifetime to find.
i would take the ruby while I could.

The sun is shining

Shiny_Rock
VapidLapid|1383876105|3552492 said:
twelve thousand dollar diamonds are $144,000. a dozen. A dozen 1 ct unheated rubies of similar value might take you a lifetime to find.

This.

iolitedreamer

Rough_Rock
So long as it was the right color and clarity ruby, I would pick the ruby because the color pops.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Hands down the ruby!!! You could get the diamond any day of the week. I know a woman with a 3 ct very high quality ruby. It's jaw dropping...

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I only voted for the 2 ct diamond because a 1 ct ruby is too small for me for a ring stone. Rubies are more dense than diamonds, and a well cut 1 ct ruby will have a smaller face up size than a 1 ct diamond. Just a personal preference.

If you had asked me to chose between a 2 ct diamond a burmese, unheated top red ruby with the same face up dimensions, I would vote for the ruby.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's a hard one.

Depends on how you set that Ruby. But probably the ruby. In a really cool deco setting with a halo.

But it also depends on the ruby itself. Unheated isn't enough. The color would have to be just the color I wanted. And the cutting would need to have no windowing or other large flaws.

IF it was a color I loved and the cut was nice... definitely the ruby.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
First off, ditto to VapidLapid - the rarity value tends to be a big draw for me. These days more in terms of vintage/craftsmanship - it would take a crowbar to pry my rare acquisitions out of my hands (like, to the point where I would not trade my 3 carat french cut eternity for a six carat modern RB band) - but the principle still applies.

Gypsy said:
That's a hard one.

Depends on how you set that Ruby. But probably the ruby. In a really cool deco setting with a halo.

Also, this. I am normally the Empress of Size Queens, but I just got a 1 carat ish ruby and it doesn't feel small at *all,* thanks to the setting. Jewelry is almost always as much about the metal as the rock, in my opinion ... Odd, how often that seems to be the exception, opinion-wise! Which is not meant as a slight to anyone ... I genuinely wonder if I'm a weirdo for caring so much about settings. Maybe it's coming from the same part of my brain that prioritizes rarity value ....

P.S. - For me, the choice of the ruby would be influenced by the fact that most rubies have a beautiful fluorescence, one of my very favorite qualities. Make it a toss-up between a beautifully cut old ruby and a VSBF OEC with eye-visible fluor, and I'd have rather a harder time of it ....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hah, wrong question to ask me. :bigsmile: Untreated, pure red 1 ct ruby with unreal saturation, glow and fluorecence. Origin wouldn't matter if the colour is right. A stone like that would be incredibly difficult to replace. You can find a 2 ct diamond within the week whilst it might take a year to find the right ruby. When the colour is fine, that's all people notice. It makes the stone stand out so I'm okay with a smaller ruby.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If a ruby expert is choosing the ruby for me, I would go for the ruby. I saw some beautiful ones in real life and they are amazing. And I know nothing about colored stones. Also, the ruby color really works with my skin tone, and it's my daughter's birthstone. I really want to buy a high quality one to give to her someday, but I just don't know where to start. Ruby definitely.

The sun is shining

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1383879489|3552540 said:
That's a hard one.

But it also depends on the ruby itself. Unheated isn't enough. The color would have to be just the color I wanted. And the cutting would need to have no windowing or other large flaws.

IF it was a color I loved and the cut was nice... definitely the ruby.

Yes and yes.

Circe said:
I am normally the Empress of Size Queens, but I just got a 1 carat ish ruby and it doesn't feel small at *all,* thanks to the setting. Jewelry is almost always as much about the metal as the rock, in my opinion ... Odd, how often that seems to be the exception, opinion-wise! Which is not meant as a slight to anyone ... I genuinely wonder if I'm a weirdo for caring so much about settings. Maybe it's coming from the same part of my brain that prioritizes rarity value ....

P.S. - For me, the choice of the ruby would be influenced by the fact that most rubies have a beautiful fluorescence, one of my very favorite qualities. Make it a toss-up between a beautifully cut old ruby and a VSBF OEC with eye-visible fluor, and I'd have rather a harder time of it ....

I think size is my concern; I would love a big honking ruby but simply put, my budget doesn't extend that far. Roger Dery has a special one, but extends far beyond what my budget can reach. However the one carat I am looking at is special. Stupidly so.

The sun is shining

Shiny_Rock
pregcurious|1383878332|3552528 said:
If you had asked me to chose between a 2 ct diamond a burmese, unheated top red ruby with the same face up dimensions, I would vote for the ruby.

:naughty: Can you spot me a loan? :naughty:

The sun is shining

Shiny_Rock
Oh. I have just remembered my other issue. I wanted a round ruby. This one is oval. I think if it was round I wouldn't have asked the question.

Shay

Shiny_Rock
I'm South African so I'd be too scared to wear a 2ct diamond.

I had a 1carat unheated pigeon blood ruby ring from my Gran that was stolen a few years ago.
It's pretty much my holy grail of jewellery so my answer was easy. ::)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted for the diamond as there is just 'something' about the sparkle. A diamond is a great basic as it fits with every style, color and mood.

That being sad, now that I have several diamonds, my next stone could very well be a ruby :love: the color can be so special!

I your case, I would perhaps grab the ruby as it seems to have your preference?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
If it was truly THE ruby… I'd go with that. I could find a 2 ct diamond today- right now even. Go click on a couple websites and order me up one real quick (if only I had the cash). THE ruby is a much more difficult find.

However, if it looks like most rubies I see IRL… go with the diamond:)

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
By far the ruby is more rare. The issue I have is the size. It will look small when set compared to the 2ct diamond. So It all depends upon what you plan to do with it. You can bling it up with a halo to get coverage. I have a 1 carat ruby-oval- that I set with side pear diamonds. The ring is very pretty but I wish the sione was bigger as I have big hands.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you get a bigger ruby?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I wonder how differently this poll would tally if it had been placed in Colored Stones with just an announcement and link to it in Rocky Talky.

The sun is shining

Shiny_Rock

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Totally ruby!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results