shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you get on a $15-20k budget?

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: What would you get on a $15-20k budget?

Zoe|1405114496|3711571 said:
My ramblings, a little late to the party... (I haven't read the whole thread yet, just your first post...)

I'd go with a solitaire, and a Vatche Caroline at that. I love, love, love that ring!

I'd want to try on a few halos first though before ultimately deciding, just to make sure they'd look good on me. Before getting engaged I considered an EC but when I tried one on, I realized the square/elongated shape didn't look great on my small, short fingers. I ended up with something completely different.

If I was spending that amount of $, it would have to be on something I'd wear regularly. I don't think I could justify the cost for a beautiful ring to spend most of its days in my jewelry box. That's me though.

I totally agree! I love the classic clean lines of EC and Asscher cuts but I realize now that they don't look that great on me....guess I can admire all the bling on PS from afar :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Also, yes, if I'm spending this amount (which is pretty big for me!) I want to get as much mileage / best cost-per-wear out of it as possible!! :lol: :lol:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1405096907|3711423 said:
msop04|1405089340|3711366 said:
diamondseeker2006|1405083971|3711335 said:
My best advice to you as someone older who has been collecting jewelry for a long time is to collect fewer great pieces than a lot of small things. That is why I would encourage you to get the AVR to your optimal size rather than having a lot of small e-rings. For you optimal may be a max of 1.25-1.5 cts or something and that is totally fine. But you just got the AVR and now have another $15-20k to spend. If you love the AVR, then I'd get a larger one and then that is a forever ring. I can promise you they are even better in larger sizes! I wish I could pull off a 3 ct where I live because I would love to have one that size!

I agree about fewer/better for sure... maybe a "wrap" or "enhancer" might give you the finger coverage you desire, but with no commitment?? :bigsmile:

DS, is there some sort of unwritten rule about having a 3 ct in your area?? Why couldn't you pull it off? :eh: :confused:

I'd say the average e-ring among those I am around most is 1 ct, because I don't know a single person other than myself who has upgraded their original engagement ring! They all wear their original rings from their early 20's! I already have the largest diamond among family and close friends, so I would feel majorly uncomfortable going any larger. Plus I want the ring to be a family heirloom, and if I got a 3 ct stone, there is no doubt in my mind the ring would be sold because no one would want to wear it or insure it!!! My hope instead is to eventually get an emerald cut diamond ring in the 2.5 ct range so I have one nice ring to hand down to each daughter. I just love the facet pattern in my diamond and that's the only reason I said I'd like a 3 ct! :lol:

Same here, 1ct is already considered to be quite big, and I would not be comfortable with a center stone larger than 2ct (my sweet spot is around 7.5 mm, anything bigger just looks like a cocktail ring or costume jewelry on me).

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock

Sorry it's taken so long to answer.

For a diamond that expensive, I'd have to have six prongs. I had a co-worker once with a 2 carat solitaire in four prongs. Her fiance thought six hid the stone too much. And guess what? She was juggling stuff in her arms one day in the elevator and that puppy popped right out. The door was just opening and it landed about two inches from the crack leading down to the basement five floors below. She almost had to go home she was so rattled. It didn't go back onto her hand until it was safely in six prongs.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

texaskj said:
Sorry it's taken so long to answer.

For a diamond that expensive, I'd have to have six prongs. I had a co-worker once with a 2 carat solitaire in four prongs. Her fiance thought six hid the stone too much. And guess what? She was juggling stuff in her arms one day in the elevator and that puppy popped right out. The door was just opening and it landed about two inches from the crack leading down to the basement five floors below. She almost had to go home she was so rattled. It didn't go back onto her hand until it was safely in six prongs.
OMG.... :o:o:o:o:o that would give me nightmares.. I'm already paranoid about dropping my phone in the gap when taking the elevator or the train.. :shock::shock:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

baby monster|1405007498|3710505 said:
I like clean designs so my preference is for larger stone in a solitaire. A blingy VC halo is a gorgeous setting but my lifestyle is also such that a halo is a cocktail ring. I'd suggest you buy a sim halo ring with a similar size center to test out whether you get used to the presence.

Mochiko, Baby Monster gave great advice above. I purchased a cushion cut halo ring last year because I had wanted one for a year. After wearing the ring for about a month I realized I was really a solitaire girl at heart. I wear my solitaire most days and the halo only a few times per month. A year ago I never would have guessed I would feel the way I do today.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Calliecake said:
baby monster|1405007498|3710505 said:
I like clean designs so my preference is for larger stone in a solitaire. A blingy VC halo is a gorgeous setting but my lifestyle is also such that a halo is a cocktail ring. I'd suggest you buy a sim halo ring with a similar size center to test out whether you get used to the presence.

Mochiko, Baby Monster gave great advice above. I purchased a cushion cut halo ring last year because I had wanted one for a year. After wearing the ring for about a month I realized I was really a solitaire girl at heart. I wear my solitaire most days and the halo only a few times per month. A year ago I never would have guessed I would feel the way I do today.
That's a good suggestion. Thanks to you and baby monster for pointing it out.

I do have a spinel halo ring that's about 2 CT /8mm. I like it a lot and don't feel it's too blingy for my lifestyle, but it's a medium toned stone and not that obvious. I don't know if I would feel comfortable if it was that size diamond because it would be a lot sparklier and more obvious/noticeable.

There is a store near my office that sells Korean costume jewelry, I might try getting a CZ halo ring to try on for size first. Thanks so much for the feedback!! :)

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

dk168|1405008110|3710514 said:
I'll get my dream ring from ERD, with a plain shank:
rt-101.jpg

DK :))

Love that one too.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

I like plain/simple/sleek. I have my three stone AVC ring which I adore more than I ever thought possible. Still, I would get another!
A fat and squaty low color like this http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11125/ in a pretty bezel. Orrrrr, to have a different cut of diamond solitaire, I'd do an AVR in low color http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12285/ In Erika's Jin setting.

oooorrrr maybe I would get three AVR's and do her round three stone, which I modeled my three stone after...

ring-4-3.jpg

erika-winters-design-jin-solitaire-engagement-ring-top.jpg

776754a41ab315fb572e0ebb2ae1b67d.jpg

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock

"I am in my early 30s and while I do understand (and to some extent agree) with your suggestion to wait a little before making a large purchase, I also want to get as many years' enjoyment as possible. So maybe balance these two factors and have a "happy medium" as you suggested. :) "

Hi,
I too am in my 30s and want many years to enjoy my rings and realize that I want options, so I am in the process of creating alternate e-rings for whatever mood strikes me. :) The sizes for my diamonds are wearable ones that are less than 1 carat b/c that is the budget that I have, though I would love something in the 7.5 mm range...hopefully in the future this will be possible. I tend to talk with my hands and can be clumsy and therefore accidentally harsh to my rings. I vote for solitaire that is not set too high for the budget that you have. I would love to be in your predicament. :) As for that diamond you found on Jewels By Grace, I highly recommend working with her. She is wonderful and that is who I just worked with on my 18K YG, Erika Winters ring. I never saw the diamond in person before buying mine, but yours is a much bigger investment. That diamond does look gorgeous. Good luck in your decision. Can't wait to see what you decide!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results