shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you get on a $15-20k budget?

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could I ask you ladies, if you had $15-20k to spend, would you prefer to get a larger / higher quality center stone in a solitaire, or get a slightly smaller stone and put it in a VC halo?

If solitaire it would have to be a larger OEC round, if halo I would want a vintage cushion. It would have to face up fairly white.

Also, I already have a 0.7 ct AVR solitaire as well as a smaller RB (5mm) bezel solitaire....

I really enjoy solitaires, but somehow have been wanting a halo. However I'm afraid a halo ring for 1+ct stone would be too ostentatious for my lifestyle and I would end up wearing it only as a cocktail ring. :razz:

OK, end of musing.. :mrgreen:

Eta: also, if getting a cushion halo setting from Victor, would it be better to have him source the center stone too?
I'm not in the US so I'm a little concerned about shipping stones back and forth if I get the stone from a different vendor, but would consider it if it makes sense price- or value-wise.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: What would you get on a $15-20k budget?

I like clean designs so my preference is for larger stone in a solitaire. A blingy VC halo is a gorgeous setting but my lifestyle is also such that a halo is a cocktail ring. I'd suggest you buy a sim halo ring with a similar size center to test out whether you get used to the presence.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Solitaire!

If there's a toss up between a halo and no halo I'd go no halo. Its too popular a design I feel like if your not absolutely sold on it, you might regret it 15 years down the line (think marquise)

Plus at this range dropping 5-6 k on a setting will drastically effect the size of stone your able to get.

And it's easier to swap settings than stones.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'll get my dream ring from ERD, with a plain shank:
rt-101.jpg

DK :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I like OECs without halos. So that would be my choice.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock

Gypsy|1405027104|3710819 said:
I'd save up another 3k and get this combo:
http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/2.03-carat-i-vs1-european-brilliant-round-cut-diamond-gid-100024.html
http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/fleurette-6-prong-bouquet-inspired-solitaire-engagement-ring-bpid-70-18.html

And ask them if they negotiate on the price a bit since you are buying both the stone and the setting to get both out the door for $23,000.

Gorgeous options Gypsy!! You have such a perfect eye off detail!!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy said:
I'd save up another 3k and get this combo:
http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/2.03-carat-i-vs1-european-brilliant-round-cut-diamond-gid-100024.html
http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/fleurette-6-prong-bouquet-inspired-solitaire-engagement-ring-bpid-70-18.html

And ask them if they negotiate on the price a bit since you are buying both the stone and the setting to get both out the door for $23,000.
Oh wow, that *is* nice. The simple solitaire setting is really pretty and I didn't think I could get a 2 ct at my budget.

I'm leaning towards the solitaire route so I can get a better center stone. I can always upgrade it later if I get DSS :twisted: :evil:

I'm not allowed to buy it til next year by my DH but I'm so excited that I'm looking at diamonds now! Plus hopefully I will have saved up a little extra and can go up to $30k if I wait a few months. :)

Thank you for the suggestions. I may post again later once I have narrowed down my search to a few center stones.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

I did the solitaire thing, it wasn't for me. I love my OEC in her halo. The contrast between the melee and her beautiful broad facets shows her off beautifully. Halos are more work - they are more delicate, so perhaps think about your lifestyle? I am eally careful with my rings and have never lost a melee stone but if you are more active, perhaps solitaire is the way to go.

Personally, I am saving up my bling points for a three stone... Maybe for my 40th?

If I had that kind of budget I might go for:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11863/

With sidestones like these:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/11750/

And set in a Whiteflash butterflies three stone. But I don't have that kind of budget ;-)

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

baby monster said:
I like clean designs so my preference is for larger stone in a solitaire. A blingy VC halo is a gorgeous setting but my lifestyle is also such that a halo is a cocktail ring. I'd suggest you buy a sim halo ring with a similar size center to test out whether you get used to the presence.
I think we might have similar preferences. I love love love the Emilya but I am such a klutz and am very hard on my jewelry. :oops:

I have a U-cut half eternity band and I'm constantly checking to see if any of the little stones have fallen out! It makes me a bit OCD and paranoid actually.. :o:o I know Victor has a reputation for high quality work but intense pave, especially on the shank, might still drive me nuts just because I'm weird like that :mad:

I love the sweeping curves and elegance of Mark Morrell rings so that's something I'm considering too. :)

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel said:
Solitaire!

If there's a toss up between a halo and no halo I'd go no halo. Its too popular a design I feel like if your not absolutely sold on it, you might regret it 15 years down the line (think marquise)

Plus at this range dropping 5-6 k on a setting will drastically effect the size of stone your able to get.

And it's easier to swap settings than stones.
I like the look of a halo but yes I want this to be an heirloom piece. So maybe simple is best :) plus I can get a bigger rock.

I appreciate all the feedback, it really helps me to think it through!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would upgrade the AVR! :bigsmile: I also think a more simple ring is more practical for my casual lifestyle, but I love Victor's halo settings.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock

mochiko, an OEC would look just beautiful in a Mark Morrell setting. If it was me, I would have Jon at Good Old Gold see what he could find since he's really good at that and GOG is one of the very few (maybe only) vendors MM will work with.
And sign me up for the klutz club. I really try to be careful, but my rings and bracelets take a beating.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

MM works with BGD too.

But upgrading the AVR is a great option!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006 said:
I would upgrade the AVR! :bigsmile: I also think a more simple ring is more practical for my casual lifestyle, but I love Victor's halo settings.
Can't I have both? 8-)8-)8-) my DH might think I'm fickle if I decide to upgrade less than a year after I bought the original AVR :o:o (terrible excuse to have my cake and eat it?.. I suppose I can't justify having two vintage rounds even if they are of different sizes, can I?)

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock

Gypsy|1405053594|3711161 said:
MM works with BGD too.

Gypsy, I didn't know that about MM and BGD. I'll file that away for when I win the lottery.

I just thought of something mochiko. Have you ever tried on an OEC or OMC? Those crowns can get really high and while they're pretty they also are really easy to bang into stuff and chip.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

texaskj said:
Gypsy|1405053594|3711161 said:
MM works with BGD too.

Gypsy, I didn't know that about MM and BGD. I'll file that away for when I win the lottery.

I just thought of something mochiko. Have you ever tried on an OEC or OMC? Those crowns can get really high and while they're pretty they also are really easy to bang into stuff and chip.
I don't have an OEC but I do have an AVR solitaire (should be back from the jeweler this week) and my ering is a sapphire solitaire that's set pretty high. I get what you say about the possibility of damaging an OEC due to the high crown, though. I'm still rather new to owning jewelry.. Do you think 6 or 8 prongs would provide more protection than 4 prongs in this case?

SB621

Ideal_Rock

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gypsy|1405026623|3710814 said:
I like OECs without halos. So that would be my choice.

Me too! In fact, that's what I'm buying next. I have a halo cushion and I can tell you that as much as I love it and I do wear it often, there's something so effortless and classic about simple solitaire. More versatile too, IMHO. ::)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would buy the most beautiful big chunky OEC I could in an elegant solitaire. Depending on the specific OEC's personality probably an 8 prong but the OEC itself would dictate the setting.

But I love VC halos as well so difficult choice. This is if I could only choose one. I'm a solitaire girl at least for an ER. Is this for an ER or right hand ring?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Since you already own your AVR solitaire as well as your bezelled solitaire, I would choose the VC halo and have Victor source the stone.

Good luck with your decision!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well.I have another thought about this. I think my first choice is to upgrade to a larger AVR because the bigger the facets, the better! I think you would love the AVR a little larger! That is, if you want a ring without a halo.

If you do want a VC halo, I would go with an antique cushion because I prefer cushion halos over round halos. Or you can do like mom2boys and get an AVC set by Steven Kirsch.

My best advice to you as someone older who has been collecting jewelry for a long time is to collect fewer great pieces than a lot of small things. That is why I would encourage you to get the AVR to your optimal size rather than having a lot of small e-rings. For you optimal may be a max of 1.25-1.5 cts or something and that is totally fine. But you just got the AVR and now have another $15-20k to spend. If you love the AVR, then I'd get a larger one and then that is a forever ring. I can promise you they are even better in larger sizes! I wish I could pull off a 3 ct where I live because I would love to have one that size!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mochiko42|1405051300|3711138 said:
baby monster said:
I think we might have similar preferences. I love love love the Emilya but I am such a klutz and am very hard on my jewelry. :oops:

I have a U-cut half eternity band and I'm constantly checking to see if any of the little stones have fallen out! It makes me a bit OCD and paranoid actually.. :o:o I know Victor has a reputation for high quality work but intense pave, especially on the shank, might still drive me nuts just because I'm weird like that :mad:

I love the sweeping curves and elegance of Mark Morrell rings so that's something I'm considering too. :)
Same here. I once dropped my pave band on tile floor. It bounced a few times and one of the stones fell out. I was able to get it fixed but it was stressful.

I have been researching enhancers. There have been some great 3 stone examples on PS but no halos. I found this blog describing a halo enhancer project. http://anastaci.com/2012/07/snap-on-halo-setting/.. Maybe VC can do an amazing halo enhancer for you to have the best of both worlds. I think there'd be lots 9lof interested solitaire owners, including me. :Up_to_something:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1405083971|3711335 said:
My best advice to you as someone older who has been collecting jewelry for a long time is to collect fewer great pieces than a lot of small things. That is why I would encourage you to get the AVR to your optimal size rather than having a lot of small e-rings. For you optimal may be a max of 1.25-1.5 cts or something and that is totally fine. But you just got the AVR and now have another $15-20k to spend. If you love the AVR, then I'd get a larger one and then that is a forever ring. I can promise you they are even better in larger sizes! I wish I could pull off a 3 ct where I live because I would love to have one that size!

I agree about fewer/better for sure... maybe a "wrap" or "enhancer" might give you the finger coverage you desire, but with no commitment?? :bigsmile:

DS, is there some sort of unwritten rule about having a 3 ct in your area?? Why couldn't you pull it off? :eh: :confused:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Aren't they all?.. :lol: ..DS, I have this feeling that you will be sporting a 3ct AVR sooner then you think... :wink2:

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you asked a good set of people like all the jewellery loving ladies or gents in the world you would get answers of 50 - 50 because every likes different. Some like expensive pieces like large solitaire others would prefer to have it spread over more pieces, more styles to wear, less stressful if one gets lost, cheaper to insure or just choose to insure the ones you wear at the time and leave the others in a bank vault.

I prefer to have less but more expensive but then again I go away and buy fashion semi precious so do I really prefer what I think I do. You have to choose for YOU. You may want to wait until you are older to buy a more expensive piece as what you choose when younger may be different. There is a lady here who has a beautiful sapphire ring which was about $70,000 dollars I think, well that is more expensive than some diamonds here. What if you buy a large diamond at say age 30 and then realise it was a large ruby you really wanted at age 50 when you realise they are far more rare. Unless you have lots of money I would go for medium in all things. There is a lot of intelligence in the saying 'a happy medium'.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04|1405089340|3711366 said:

I agree about fewer/better for sure... maybe a "wrap" or "enhancer" might give you the finger coverage you desire, but with no commitment?? :bigsmile:

DS, is there some sort of unwritten rule about having a 3 ct in your area?? Why couldn't you pull it off? :eh: :confused:

I'd say the average e-ring among those I am around most is 1 ct, because I don't know a single person other than myself who has upgraded their original engagement ring! They all wear their original rings from their early 20's! I already have the largest diamond among family and close friends, so I would feel majorly uncomfortable going any larger. Plus I want the ring to be a family heirloom, and if I got a 3 ct stone, there is no doubt in my mind the ring would be sold because no one would want to wear it or insure it!!! My hope instead is to eventually get an emerald cut diamond ring in the 2.5 ct range so I have one nice ring to hand down to each daughter. I just love the facet pattern in my diamond and that's the only reason I said I'd like a 3 ct! :lol:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire|1405091665|3711384 said:
Aren't they all?.. :lol: ..DS, I have this feeling that you will be sporting a 3ct AVR sooner then you think... :wink2:

You keep predicting that, but I think I will prove you wrong! I do hope to get one more diamond ring eventually, though! ;))

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock

My ramblings, a little late to the party... (I haven't read the whole thread yet, just your first post...)

I'd go with a solitaire, and a Vatche Caroline at that. I love, love, love that ring!

I'd want to try on a few halos first though before ultimately deciding, just to make sure they'd look good on me. Before getting engaged I considered an EC but when I tried one on, I realized the square/elongated shape didn't look great on my small, short fingers. I ended up with something completely different.

If I was spending that amount of $, it would have to be on something I'd wear regularly. I don't think I could justify the cost for a beautiful ring to spend most of its days in my jewelry box. That's me though.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pyramid|1405092356|3711393 said:
If you asked a good set of people like all the jewellery loving ladies or gents in the world you would get answers of 50 - 50 because every likes different. Some like expensive pieces like large solitaire others would prefer to have it spread over more pieces, more styles to wear, less stressful if one gets lost, cheaper to insure or just choose to insure the ones you wear at the time and leave the others in a bank vault.

I prefer to have less but more expensive but then again I go away and buy fashion semi precious so do I really prefer what I think I do. You have to choose for YOU. You may want to wait until you are older to buy a more expensive piece as what you choose when younger may be different. There is a lady here who has a beautiful sapphire ring which was about $70,000 dollars I think, well that is more expensive than some diamonds here. What if you buy a large diamond at say age 30 and then realise it was a large ruby you really wanted at age 50 when you realise they are far more rare. Unless you have lots of money I would go for medium in all things. There is a lot of intelligence in the saying 'a happy medium'.

Thank you, Pyramid, for your thoughtful post. I would tend to agree with you. I have several CS pieces (spinel, carnelian, garnet etc) which are fun and less expensive, but for diamonds I tend to prefer simpler setting. The diamond rings I have now (besides the 0.7 ct AVR) are resets of a round pair that I received as a gift from my mum years ago, so I didn't have any input into the selection of the diamonds. They have a ton of sentimental value, but the cut is not especially exciting (standard RB) to me so I don't wear them every day (particular since I've found PS.. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:) so I want to find a definitive diamond ring that I can wear everyday as a RHR or an alternate e-ring. I wouldn't want to get something that languishes in a box, unworn, because I don't like it / afraid to lose or damage it.

I am in my early 30s and while I do understand (and to some extent agree) with your suggestion to wait a little before making a large purchase, I also want to get as many years' enjoyment as possible. So maybe balance these two factors and have a "happy medium" as you suggested. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results