shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do?

What would you do with this ring, given the situation?

• Return the whole thing- too much risk in the process, plus you'll find a stone like this again

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Btw I like your stone so much, that I’ve tried to find a similar one in the 2 carat range. I even have a setting I could use it.

I’ve put in the same specification at table and depth, and I was not able to find a stone with a similar cut pattern.
This also supports the idea to keep the stone because a substitute won’t be easy to find!

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Btw I like your stone so much, that I’ve tried to find a similar one in the 2 carat range. I even have a setting I could use it.

I’ve put in the same specification at table and depth, and I was not able to find a stone with a similar cut pattern.
This also supports the idea to keep the stone because a substitute won’t be easy to find!

Thank you for sharing this! I think this stone will be a keeper. If I come across a similar stone in the 2 carat range, I'll be sure to share!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me I’d just keep it as is and reset when I felt I had the energy and funds. Or keep it loose while you ponder and scrap the setting. $300 isn’t worth the hassle and stress of shipping the diamond back and forth. After shipping costs you wouldn’t recoup the full $300 anyway!

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
For me I’d just keep it as is and reset when I felt I had the energy and funds. Or keep it loose while you ponder and scrap the setting. $300 isn’t worth the hassle and stress of shipping the diamond back and forth. After shipping costs you wouldn’t recoup the full $300 anyway!

Thank you @dreamer_dachsie!

I finally got around to reaching out to Adiamor and I'll have to ship the entire ring back to them to unset and send back to me. Considering that and the cost of insured shipping, I totally agree that it's not worth the hassle and stress of shipping the diamond back and forth so I've decided to keep it as it and reset down the line. To be honest, the setting has grown on me and is rather beautiful (although not 100% my taste) so I'll take my time in deciding how to reset, till I find a buyer for the setting (any one interested?, ha!) or a jeweler who can use the gold weight towards the cost of the setting.

Thanks again to all for sharing their thoughts and input. It really helped me decide on what to do with this one!

For anyone interested, here are some videos I shot today. Really enjoying this MRB and happy to have one in my collection:

Will be sure to share the reset, whenever it happens!

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

I finally got around to reaching out to Adiamor and I'll have to ship the entire ring back to them to unset and send back to me. Considering that and the cost of insured shipping, I totally agree that it's not worth the hassle and stress of shipping the diamond back and forth so I've decided to keep it as it and reset down the line. To be honest, the setting has grown on me and is rather beautiful (although not 100% my taste) so I'll take my time in deciding how to reset, till I find a buyer for the setting (any one interested?, ha!) or a jeweler who can use the gold weight towards the cost of the setting.

Thanks again to all for sharing their thoughts and input. It really helped me decide on what to do with this one!

For anyone interested, here are some videos I shot today. Really enjoying this MRB and happy to have one in my collection:

:appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::lickout::lickout::lickout::lickout::lickout::lickout::lickout:

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sounds like you made the right decision! It is beautiful. What about removing just the head of the setting and have a head soldered in that will set the diamond lower? Not sure if that is cost effective considering the labor but might be worth doing.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah you can also have your jeweler purchase a new head from Stuller and solder it to the shank. Would likely cost less than a whole new setting, even accounting for labour.

The cut in that diamond is perfection. Reminds me of my old cut!

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like you made the right decision! It is beautiful. What about removing just the head of the setting and have a head soldered in that will set the diamond lower? Not sure if that is cost effective considering the labor but might be worth doing.

Thank you @cushioncutnut and @dreamer_dachsie ! I didn't even know this was an option and I'll definitely look into it.

The chunky arrows reminded me of an old cut too, I think that's why I was so drawn to it. Your diamond is a dream @dreamer_dachsie so I appreciate the compliment!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It’s funny, back in the day my diamond was pretty rare and big. But now I keep seeing all these lab cuts with similar proportions that are like 3+ carats :lol-2: Kinda makes a gal think!

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
It’s funny, back in the day my diamond was pretty rare and big. But now I keep seeing all these lab cuts with similar proportions that are like 3+ carats :lol-2: Kinda makes a gal think!

Your diamond is still pretty rare and big! (for a natural one) but I get what you're saying, lab diamonds have completely changed the landscape of things. I know there is differing opinions but I love lab diamonds! Yes, think...and come over to the "lab" side!;)2

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
" or a jeweler who can use the gold weight towards the cost of the setting. "

Whatever you will decide, please bear in mind that not all benches would consider re-working settings, and you might be able to get the scrap gold value of the old setting to offset the new setting at best.

Good luck and enjoy the ring for the time being.

DK :))

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Whatever you will decide, please bear in mind that not all benches would consider re-working settings, and you might be able to get the scrap gold value of the old setting to offset the new setting at best.

Good luck and enjoy the ring for the time being.

DK
Good to know. Thank you @dk168 !!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your diamond is still pretty rare and big! (for a natural one) but I get what you're saying, lab diamonds have completely changed the landscape of things. I know there is differing opinions but I love lab diamonds! Yes, think...and come over to the "lab" side!;)2

Well, I don’t see myself spending the amount needed to buy a substantial natural diamond again. It’s just not realistic. I might still look for smaller antiques here or there, but I am thinking of dipping my toe into the lab land in the future! We shall see!

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I don’t see myself spending the amount needed to buy a substantial natural diamond again. It’s just not realistic. I might still look for smaller antiques here or there, but I am thinking of dipping my toe into the lab land in the future! We shall see!

Totally get that. If you do decide to dabble with lab diamonds, do share!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Totally get that. If you do decide to dabble with lab diamonds, do share!

Oh I will definitely be asking for help from the class lol! I will rely on others’ expertise. I’m mostly waiting until it looks like prices have gotten as low as they will get :lol-2:

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Lol @dreamer_dachsie! I had a very good sales person once tell me "buy sooner, enjoy sooner" lol. Totally get your philosophy though! I'm waiting for prices to flatline too before I go try some cuts id like to try for fun!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol @dreamer_dachsie! I had a very good sales person once tell me "buy sooner, enjoy sooner" lol. Totally get your philosophy though! I'm waiting for prices to flatline too before I go try some cuts id like to try for fun!

That sounds like an excellent salesperson indeed! It would be tempting if I had money burning my my pocket, no doubt. I just finished a big project but and I am just beginning to ponder my next larger project, maybe to begin in the Spring. But isn’t the dreaming half the fun??

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

Ugh, not helpful, but I love that rock.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
One more question for lovely PSers. I have a anniversary ring that I absolutely adore. I never thought It looked right paired with any of my other rings but I think I'm liking it with this solitaire. What do you think? Not enough, too much or just right?

PXL_20231201_231446789.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20231201_231207199.jpg
    PXL_20231201_231207199.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 28
  • PXL_20231201_231403817.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20231201_231403817.PORTRAIT.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 28

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I love how the snowflake facets of the solitaire complement the NS prongs on the band ... giving the pairing a delicate look evocative of lace. :love:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh yes, love the diamond band paired with your soli. The proportions are just right.

PS please share your other rings!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
One more question for lovely PSers. I have a anniversary ring that I absolutely adore. I never thought It looked right paired with any of my other rings but I think I'm liking it with this solitaire. What do you think? Not enough, too much or just right?

PXL_20231201_231446789.jpg

It's exactly what I'd do as I have a very similar band. So, since I've already told you I love it and you're unsure...give it here, and I'll let you know.
Soonish.:lol:

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @0515vision @dreamer_dachsie @ItsMainelyYou!! Even though I liked the combo, I didn't want to be oblivious to the obvious regarding the pairing - so appreciate your thoughts!!

@dreamer_dachsie I will! I don't have a crazy collection but I've been meaning to add to the "ring family" thread, for a while now. hopefully sometime soon!

LOL @ItsMainelyYou! if I ever let this one go, you are in the list!!

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results