shape
carat
color
clarity

What would you do?

What would you do with this ring, given the situation?

• Return the whole thing- too much risk in the process, plus you'll find a stone like this again

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
I was casually browsing lab diamonds the other month and came across, what I thought was, such a beautiful stone. I'm an old cut lover and so I was drawn to the chunky facets of this MRB:
After some thought, I decided to purchase thinking, worst case scenario, I could return if I didn't like it. It's here and I'm so torn. I think I love the stone but the setting, as beautiful as it is, is much higher than anything I'm used to.

Hubs said it's beautiful and to keep it but I'm really torn. I have three options :
1. keep
2. Return the whole thing
3. Return just the setting

What would you do?

In a perfect world, I'd choose number three (return just the setting) but after reading about all the recent issues with shipping, I'm hesitant to return and then wait for it to be shipped back to me. It's also graded SI1 so I'm worried about possible damages during removing from the current setting and resetting as I've never had a a diamond in this clarity grade before, only VS and higher.

Second choice would be to keep it but I honestly don't know that I'll get used to the setting. I really don't want to reset it later and then have an empty setting sitting around. Anyone been in a similiar situation and grew to love a high setting?

Last would be to return because I'm not sure when I'll come across a stone like this again. I browse the various lab diamond sites pretty frequently and rarely see a MRB with chunky facets like this one.

What would you do? Would love to hear your thoughts and opinions! PXL_20231114_174511974.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20231114_174625769.jpg
    PXL_20231114_174625769.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 76
  • PXL_20231114_174521612.jpg
    PXL_20231114_174521612.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 81
  • PXL_20231114_202808042.jpg
    PXL_20231114_202808042.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 80

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
I was casually browsing lab diamonds the other month and came across, what I thought was, such a beautiful stone. I'm an old cut lover and so I was drawn to the chunky facets of this MRB:
After some thought, I decided to purchase thinking, worst case scenario, I could return if I didn't like it. It's here and I'm so torn. I think I love the stone but the setting, as beautiful as it is, is much higher than anything I'm used to.

Hubs said it's beautiful and to keep it but I'm really torn. I have three options :
1. keep
2. Return the whole thing
3. Return just the setting

What would you do?

In a perfect world, I'd choose number three (return just the setting) but after reading about all the recent issues with shipping, I'm hesitant to return and then wait for it to be shipped back to me. It's also graded SI1 so I'm worried about possible damages during removing from the current setting and resetting as I've never had a a diamond in this clarity grade before, only VS and higher.

Second choice would be to keep it but I honestly don't know that I'll get used to the setting. I really don't want to reset it later and then have an empty setting sitting around. Anyone been in a similiar situation and grew to love a high setting?

Last would be to return because I'm not sure when I'll come across a stone like this again. I browse the various lab diamond sites pretty frequently and rarely see a MRB with chunky facets like this one.

What would you do? Would love to hear your thoughts and opinions! PXL_20231114_174511974.jpg

So at first glance I thought it was an OEC. If your heart sings for chunky, is that route a possibility? It is a beautiful stone, but countless diamonds and returns later I have learned if it’s not mind clean for me it will never grow on me. Keeping the setting isn’t an option, clearly, so you really have two choices. Return the whole thing or re-do the setting. In between the lines, I’m hearing this isn’t “the one” for you though.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
So at first glance I thought it was an OEC. If your heart sings for chunky, is that route a possibility? It is a beautiful stone, but countless diamonds and returns later I have learned if it’s not mind clean for me it will never grow on me. Keeping the setting isn’t an option, clearly, so you really have two choices. Return the whole thing or re-do the setting. In between the lines, I’m hearing this isn’t “the one” for you though.

Thank you @Runningmama!
I have learned if it’s not mind clean for me it will never grow on me.
I'm thinking this may be true. Ahhhhh, I was really hoping someone would chime in saying they typically wore low set stones but grew to love a high setting! You may be right though, return the whole thing may be the best option and possibly go lab oec. I just got this for such a great price and lab old cuts are still a premium so I'll have to wait a bit. Plus I already have an OEC in my collection so I thought it would be cool to have a MRB with an OEC flair.
I appreciate your thoughts and input!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you love the stone, I voted to return the setting only. Beautiful stones, with faceting we love, aren’t that easy to find. It’s super pretty!! Can the setting be altered to lower it?

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
If you love the stone, I voted to return the setting only. Beautiful stones, with faceting we love, aren’t that easy to find. It’s super pretty!! Can the setting be altered to lower it?

Thank you @Slickk! This is my first choice if it wasn't for my reservations about the return and resetting process. You are right though, this is my third MRB and the only one I was truly drawn to. About lowering the setting, I'm honestly not sure but from the looks of it, I don't believe so. I'll try to take a picture and share tomorrow in case anyone can chime in.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone is beautiful @JV36912!!! If you don’t love the setting, I would return the setting and keep the stone. It will be easy to find a lower setting.

I’ve always had and love high settings. I think they make the stone pop and show more prominently. I think this stone and setting looks gorgeous on your hand. I’ll be quiet now LOL.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much is the setting alone?

If the setting is not too costly, e.g. in 9K gold, I would be inclined to keep the stone, sell the setting for scrap, find or have a new setting made, rather than to go through the hassle of returning just the setting.

Not sure how you would go about returning just the setting and keep the stone as I suspect you would need to send the whole ring back to the vendor for them to remove the stone for you; otherwise you could invalidate any guarantees etc...

DK :))

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
It looks lovely but what does the side view look like? If I loved the stones I would just keep it and have it reset once I find a setting I liked better. I wouldn’t worry about and SI breaking from resetting. I think people forget SI is still only Slightly Included and not super fragile most of the time. You could always sell the setting later.

HerefortheBling

Shiny_Rock
I've had a very similar situation with one of my settings. It is so high, but my husband loves it. He convinced me to keep it. I've had it since March, and I still hate it. Eventually, I plan to get a new setting, but I really wish I'd sent it back cause it really doesn't bring much joy.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
If the setting was relatively inexpensive I'd probably just keep it to spare the hassle of returning while you design something you love with a local jeweler. I'd definitely keep the stone, it's lovely and a nice size for you!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone looks beautiful...A side shot of the height of the setting would have been nice (so we could see what you're talking about).

My opinion...
Keep the stone and return the setting. Or, if it was inexpensive like @FL_runner just chalk it up to money well spent. You could
try to recoup some of the cost of the setting in Pre-loved.

May I ask where you found this beauty? I would love something similar but smaller!
(love the fat arrows)

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
The stone is beautiful @JV36912!!! If you don’t love the setting, I would return the setting and keep the stone. It will be easy to find a lower setting.

I’ve always had and love high settings. I think they make the stone pop and show more prominently. I think this stone and setting looks gorgeous on your hand. I’ll be quiet now LOL.

Thank you @Calliecake! I love high settings on others, just not on me. Partly because all my settings are low so I've just grown to love that look and also because, with littles and everything I do with them, I'm worried about banging and catching on things with a high setting. I do agree that they make the stone pop/show more prominently. I may wear it around for a few days and see if I can get used to it.

How much is the setting alone?

If the setting is not too costly, e.g. in 9K gold, I would be inclined to keep the stone, sell the setting for scrap, find or have a new setting made, rather than to go through the hassle of returning just the setting.

Not sure how you would go about returning just the setting and keep the stone as I suspect you would need to send the whole ring back to the vendor for them to remove the stone for you; otherwise you could invalidate any guarantees etc...

Thank you @dk168! The setting is 14k but was a good deal (~$300). A few people have suggested that route so I'm highly considering it now, since I like to stone so much. You're right- I think I'll need to return the whole thing and have them ship me back the stone. I'm going to try to reach out this weekend to see what the process is like.

It looks lovely but what does the side view look like? If I loved the stones I would just keep it and have it reset once I find a setting I liked better. I wouldn’t worry about and SI breaking from resetting. I think people forget SI is still only Slightly Included and not super fragile most of the time. You could always sell the setting later.

Thank you @Jax172 ! Here's a side view. Appreciate your thoughts on my worries about resetting a SI clarity stone. I don't have experience so this is helpful. If I don't get used to it these next few days and the return process is too much of a hassle, I may just go the route of keeping it and resetting later, down the line.

PXL_20231115_172523921.jpg
I've had a very similar situation with one of my settings. It is so high, but my husband loves it. He convinced me to keep it. I've had it since March, and I still hate it. Eventually, I plan to get a new setting, but I really wish I'd sent it back cause it really doesn't bring much joy.

Thank you @HerefortheBling! This is exactly what I'm afraid of if I keep it. I hate the thought of the ring just sitting around and I've got some repairs that I need to get finished before i'd consider a new setting for this so it may sit around for a while. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

If the setting was relatively inexpensive I'd probably just keep it to spare the hassle of returning while you design something you love with a local jeweler. I'd definitely keep the stone, it's lovely and a nice size for you!

Thank you @FL_runner! I'm definitely considering this option since it wasn't crazy expensive at all. Appreciate your thoughts and kind words!

The stone looks beautiful...A side shot of the height of the setting would have been nice (so we could see what you're talking about).

My opinion...
Keep the stone and return the setting. Or, if it was inexpensive like @FL_runner just chalk it up to money well spent. You could
try to recoup some of the cost of the setting in Pre-loved.

May I ask where you found this beauty? I would love something similar but smaller!
(love the fat arrows)

Thank you @tyty333! I shared a side shot above. It honestly is a really beautiful setting just much higher than I'm used to. Here's are some pictures of the profiles of my other rings so you can get a sense of what I typically wear:

PXL_20230530_154950811.jpg PXL_20230912_144412124.jpg PXL_20230530_1549508113.jpg

Depending on the return process, I'm heavily leaning towards this option.

Of course! I actually found it on Adiamor (it was on Ritani and others too but Adiamor had the best price from what I saw) and I love the fat arrows too!

I love the stone so I'm not helpful, but I think if the setting was cheap I'd just keep it. Can we see the cert for proportions? It's lovely!

Thank you @lovedogs! This seems to be the popular opinion so I'm definitely considering it. Of course! Here it is : (full disclaimer though, I didn't look at the "numbers" at all when purchasing this one. I just really liked the way it looked in the video and wanted to see it in person)
Screenshot 2023-11-15 4.58.32 PM.png

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Height of a setting is very personal IMHO, and there appears to be a preference for higher settings in US than in Europe.

I personally prefer as low setting as possible.

Therefore, your new ring setting is too high for my liking for certain.

Each to their own and all that - if you find it too high, it will bug you, and it may not be possible for you to change your mind especially if you have very strong personal tastes.

Last edited:

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
That looks similar to my setting from my recent 8x purchase from Adiamor. Might be the same one. I hated it at first but didn't want to send it back to be reset. It grew on me and now I actually love it. It's still a size too big but I'll have it sized locally.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Height of a setting is very personal IMHO, and there appears to be a preference for higher settings in US than in Europe.

I personally prefer as low setting as possible.

Therefore, your new ring setting is too high for my liking for certain.

Each to their own and all that - if you find it too high, it will bug you, and it may not be possible for you to change your mind especially if you have very strong personal tastes.

Agree with on both fronts (that height is a very personal preference and preferring settings as low as possible)!

You may be right @dk168, I don't know if wearing it around for a bit will change my mind. Part of me wonders if it's just not something I'm familiar with and takes getting used to.

My favorite ring is very high, "rocket set" per the goldsmith. I love it that way, easier for my old eyes to see it and it makes me more aware of having it on my hand. "In your face" I guess.

Love this @Ibrakeforpossums! I think high set stones look beautiful on others, so I see why it's your preference!
That looks similar to my setting from my recent 8x purchase from Adiamor. Might be the same one. I hated it at first but didn't want to send it back to be reset. It grew on me and now I actually love it. It's still a size too big but I'll have it sized locally.

It is the same one @Jax172!! What made you hate it at first? What do you love about it now? How long did it take for it to grow on you?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a find! I love the faceting on this stone. I voted return just the setting.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Agree with on both fronts (that height is a very personal preference and preferring settings as low as possible)!

You may be right @dk168, I don't know if wearing it around for a bit will change my mind. Part of me wonders if it's just not something I'm familiar with and takes getting used to.

Love this @Ibrakeforpossums! I think high set stones look beautiful on others, so I see why it's your preference!

It is the same one @Jax172!! What made you hate it at first? What do you love about it now? How long did it take for it to grow on you?

I hated the height and the bigger prongs. But it’s actually quite elegant and the sides of the prongs catch the light and are so shines and flashy. It’s a different look that a lot of my other settings and i think it suits the stone. Probably about a week of consistent my wear before I decide I liked it and didn’t want to change it.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
What would you do?

In a perfect world...

*Disclaimer* (This is meant to be humorous)

"In a perfect world, you...would...sell...the...diamond...to...meeeee!" <--Voice of some fancy-shmancy hypnotist. :lol:

Seriously, though, if it were me, I would reset the stone, and sell or scrap the setting rather than send it back to Adiamor. The cut looks beautiful!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Keep the stone! Pretty facets are hard to find. Consider finding a local jeweler to do the re-set.

Not to thread jack but incidentally I have something very similar at 55/63.1 with 36.5 and 40.6. It’s the best of both worlds with more scintillation than an OEC and more broad flashes of fire than a traditional MRB. Yours is probably the same way? So many steep ‘n’ deeps go dark in the center and your stone would be hard to replace.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see what you mean about the height @JV36912 . Its definitely taller than I would like...it doesnt look bad though.

Off the check out Adiamor!

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
I hated the height and the bigger prongs. But it’s actually quite elegant and the sides of the prongs catch the light and are so shines and flashy. It’s a different look that a lot of my other settings and i think it suits the stone. Probably about a week of consistent my wear before I decide I liked it and didn’t want to change it.

Got it. I agree, it does look very elegant, especially when I see it from afar or on other's (like yourself!). Hoping I'll come around to it too! Thanks again @Jax172 - this was helpful!
*Disclaimer* (This is meant to be humorous)

"In a perfect world, you...would...sell...the...diamond...to...meeeee!" <--Voice of some fancy-shmancy hypnotist. :lol:

Seriously, though, if it were me, I would reset the stone, and sell or scrap the setting rather than send it back to Adiamor. The cut looks beautiful!

LOL @SparklieBug ! If I decide to let this go, you'll be the first to know! Appreciate your thoughts- that's what I'm leaning towards depending on what the return process looks like. Partly because it may be a hassle and partly so I can enjoy it while i decide on a permanent setting instead of having it sit around loose.
Keep the stone! Pretty facets are hard to find. Consider finding a local jeweler to do the re-set.

Not to thread jack but incidentally I have something very similar at 55/63.1 with 36.5 and 40.6. It’s the best of both worlds with more scintillation than an OEC and more broad flashes of fire than a traditional MRB. Yours is probably the same way? So many steep ‘n’ deeps go dark in the center and your stone would be hard to replace.

Thank you @oncrutchesrightnow ! That seems to be the general consensus and most likely what I'll do.

I had a hard time describing what I was seeing but you described it perfectly- it really is the best of both worlds! I also think you're right- it may be hard to find again. Your diamond sounds beautiful! Do you have a thread on it or pictures? would love to see!

I see what you mean about the height @JV36912 . Its definitely taller than I would like...it doesnt look bad though.

Off the check out Adiamor!

Thanks @tyty333 ! I'm going to wear it around for a bit and see if it grows on me.

:) Let us know if you find anything!!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JV36912, If you are used to a lower setting, having a setting this high would be a big adjustment. Please get what you feel comfortable wearing. Your other rings are beautiful. Please keep us updated on what you decide to do.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have voted return only the setting, because I think it’s the best solution. I’m sure you can find a setting suitable to your preferences.

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
@JV36912, If you are used to a lower setting, having a setting this high would be a big adjustment. Please get what you feel comfortable wearing. Your other rings are beautiful. Please keep us updated on what you decide to do.

Thank you @Calliecake! I think you may be right. Ive been under the weather the past few days and haven't been able to reach out regarding the return process but I'll def. update on what I finally decide to do.
I have voted return only the setting, because I think it’s the best solution. I’m sure you can find a setting suitable to your preferences.
Thank you @dkata ! That seems to be the clear winner here. I hope so!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results