shape
carat
color
clarity

What would YOU call this diamond cut?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I <thought> that fracture filling or drill and fill in diamonds resulted in blue/purple streaks? Not red/orange.

I did see once a diamond that had a garnet (ruby?) crystal inside it. That crystal was eye visible so I didn’t buy it but scientifically I thought it was cool.

I mean....I guess I could be wrong but I did find whisps that were described as pink online but they looked reddish orange to me that were an example for FF and looked identical to what I saw in the diamond.

I did contact the seller about it just describing my findings and they seemed shocked. They offered a full refund or a partial refund and since I do like the look of the diamond I decided a small partial refund felt right.

Id still like to move forward with its ring setting and just make sure to baby it lots!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Here are some photos online of the red whisps im talking about.

Mine looked the same but way way smaller and much harder to detect!

fracture-filled2-235x155.jpg img-8882_2.jpg fracture-filled6-235x155.jpg

Lovesparklesparle

Shiny_Rock
If you got a really good price maybe this was why .... I love the colour !

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
If you got a really good price maybe this was why .... I love the colour !

The seller was inexperienced and was selling her jewelry with only two other pieces listed.
She seemed truly surprised that it was CE but who knows. :think:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the stone is enhanced these are my thoughts. I would make sure either way though before asking for anything from the seller.

The seller was inexperienced and was selling her jewelry with only two other pieces listed.
She seemed truly surprised that it was CE but who knows. :think:

Inexperience from a seller is not a good excuse. IMO one makes sure what one is selling is authentic and true to description. I know not everyone operates on that business model but ignorance is not a valid excuse. IMO.

If you are in love with the stone @Garnetgirl and want to keep it (and I completely get why you would want to) I would explain to the seller you expect to get a percentage off the cost due to the inaccuracy of her description and the fact you thought you were getting a natural diamond ie not an enhanced one. JMO FWIW.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
If the stone is enhanced these are my thoughts. I would make sure either way though before asking for anything from the seller.

Inexperience from a seller is not a good excuse. IMO one makes sure what one is selling is authentic and true to description. I know not everyone operates on that business model but ignorance is not a valid excuse. IMO.

If you are in love with the stone @Garnetgirl and want to keep it (and I completely get why you would want to) I would explain to the seller you expect to get a percentage off the cost due to the inaccuracy of her description and the fact you thought you were getting a natural diamond ie not an enhanced one. JMO FWIW.

Thank you Missy! & I agree! Thank you for being such an advocate and someone to bounce ideas off of. It truly helped me to understand how I was feeling and what I ultimately wanted to do with this diamond that I loved.

& Thank you to everyone that chimed in! This was probably my oddest thread in that it took such a dramatic turn with the probable FF news!

To wrap up this thread in a strange turn of events;

-I contacted the seller explaining the situation, & she came up with the idea of a partial refund.

-With the partial refund, (excluding the price of the 6.6g platinum setting and the two 3mm princess diamonds) the diamond itself only cost me $300. So I'm very happy with this!

-The ring was sent off to DanielM and I sent him my inspiration pic thats in this thread! Hes aware of the nature of the stone and is creating it as we speak!

-I also decided to use the two 3mm princess cut diamonds as side stones for a different three stone ring made with this sweet powder bluish lilac sapphire I just purchased! It has a window but I feel like it adds to its icy quality. Like a pool of water!

20200128_202905.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Missy! & I agree! Thank you for being such an advocate and someone to bounce ideas off of. It truly helped me to understand how I was feeling and what I ultimately wanted to do with this diamond that I loved.

& Thank you to everyone that chimed in! This was probably my oddest thread in that it took such a dramatic turn with the probable FF news!

To wrap up this thread in a strange turn of events;

-I contacted the seller explaining the situation, & she came up with the idea of a partial refund.

-With the partial refund, (excluding the price of the 6.6g platinum setting and the two 3mm princess diamonds) the diamond itself only cost me $300. So I'm very happy with this!

-The ring was sent off to DanielM and I sent him my inspiration pic thats in this thread! Hes aware of the nature of the stone and is creating it as we speak!

-I also decided to use the two 3mm princess cut diamonds as side stones for a different three stone ring made with this sweet powder bluish lilac sapphire I just purchased! It has a window but I feel like it adds to its icy quality. Like a pool of water!

20200128_202905.jpg

Yay! Win win! Love how this is ending up and cannot wait to see your Daniel M creation.:appl:I think it is going to be amazingly beautiful.:love:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Yay! Win win! Love how this is ending up and cannot wait to see your Daniel M creation.:appl:I think it is going to be amazingly beautiful.:love:

A lil' tease on how the 3-stone is going with my sapphire and the natural diamonds taken from the ring! It's going to be set in a simple but beautiful low profile trellis ring in 14k yellow gold. A little rich butter to compliment the stones icyness!

icm_fullxfull.241839327_7pj5ozcpnf8cw8csskkk.jpg
icm_fullxfull.241838937_gec4f57rmv40w80w4osw.jpg
icm_fullxfull.241838911_cydnko1xcdck8kogwg4g.jpg

No cad yet on the diamond ring.
Im excited as it will be a good everyday diamond ring & Ill truly enjoy it! Ill just make sure to document that its FF and let my children know in case of inheritance for resell purposes.

I kept the diamond despite its enhancement because it just grew on me immediately, Im not sure how to explain it but I just love the cut and color and size. $300 aint bad for it! She reminds me of a woman who decided while she's young to get botox/fillers to keep from having any lines on her face. Haha My "botox" diamond!

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Finito (:

Screenshot_2020-06-30-18-58-19~2.png
Screenshot_2020-06-30-18-56-45~2.png
Screenshot_2020-06-30-18-56-56~2.png Screenshot_2020-06-30-18-57-08~2.png
Screenshot_2020-06-30-18-57-44~2.png

I just realized that I never updated nor provided a conclusion to this thread!
I know I'm a bad PSer!
:snooty:

The ring has been finished for a while & has become a favorite as far as every day rings rotation. I'm very happy with how the antique inspired setting came out & was able to have sweet little diamond sidestones for my periwinkle sapphire ring as a bonus.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TheGarnetGirl
How beautiful!! I love the romantic look of the diamond! It's perfect. If this was my ring, I would NEVER take it off my finger! Well except to clean it , of course!
I also would like to know about the sapphire ring. Is it done?

I think your sapphire may have originally been from a gem dealer here in ABQ called Southwestern Minerals. I say this because the label on the gem jar and the handwriting is so familiar to me. The lady who owns the shop labels all the jars.
Here is a gem jar that I have , the handwriting is the same.
IMG_20200630_201119357.jpg
1593570298759.png

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@TheGarnetGirl
How beautiful!! I love the romantic look of the diamond! It's perfect.
I also would like to know about the sapphire ring. Is it done?

I think your sapphire may have originally been from a gem dealer here in ABQ called Southwestern Minerals. I say this because the label on the gem jar and the handwriting is so familiar to me. The lady who owns the shop labels all the jars.
Here is a gem jar that I have , the handwriting is the same.
IMG_20200630_201119357.jpg

Omg that makes sense! Desertrose is located in Albuquerque and I purchased it from her so you're absolutely correct. Why are you always the one who makes connections for pieces or is so awesome at locating the history for mystery pieces!?! :-o

I mean my mother has taught me the love of the hunt and having a good eye for quality when it comes to garage sales and thrift stores but your observations are on another level! I also think that people like us - pickers and hunters tend to be much more detail oriented and observant than most.

Damn...I need to take a trip JUST to go there!!!!

& Yes it was finished before the diamond ring actually! I posted it in the periwinkle stone thread but am happy to upload some here as well!

Its set in yellow gold and is a princess cut which I normally detest but I love this sapphire & how it turned out. It reminds me of a ring owned by an ice princess. Like a ice skater with an attitude...I know I'm strange! Haha

It's a very cool toned glassy sapphire that has no inclusions whatsoever. A very different look for my collection but it's a fun one. Ive been wearing it as my engagement ring some days and it makes a beautiful one!

Screenshot_2020-06-30-20-30-17~2.png Screenshot_2020-06-30-20-30-29~2.png Screenshot_2020-06-30-20-29-57~2.png

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg that makes sense! Desertrose is located in Albuquerque and I purchased it from her so you're absolutely correct. Why are you always the one who makes connections for pieces or is so awesome at locating the history for mystery pieces!?! :-o

I mean my mother has taught me the love of the hunt and having a good eye for quality when it comes to garage sales and thrift stores but your observations are on another level! I also think that people like us - pickers and hunters tend to be much more detail oriented and observant than most.

Damn...I need to take a trip JUST to go there!!!!

& Yes it was finished before the diamond ring actually! I posted it in the periwinkle stone thread but am happy to upload some here as well!

Its set in yellow gold and is a princess cut which I normally detest but I love this sapphire & how it turned out. It reminds me of a ring owned by an ice princess. Like a ice skater with an attitude...I know I'm strange! Haha

It's a very cool toned glassy sapphire that has no inclusions whatsoever. A very different look for my collection but it's a fun one. Ive been wearing it as my engagement ring some days and it makes a beautiful one!

Screenshot_2020-06-30-20-30-17~2.png Screenshot_2020-06-30-20-30-29~2.png Screenshot_2020-06-30-20-29-57~2.png

Oh Gosh, its stunning! I love all your bling! Thanks for the photos!
I'm a sapphire girl at heart, so this one speaks to me!
And I've been buying from Southwestern Minerals for 16 years, so I have a drawerful of those handwritten gem jars.
If you come to ABQ, you better let me know and we will go gem shopping together!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Oh Gosh, its stunning! I love all your bling! Thanks for the photos!
I'm a sapphire girl at heart, so this one speaks to me!
And I've been buying from Southwestern Minerals for 16 years, so I have a drawerful of those handwritten gem jars.
If you come to ABQ, you better let me know and we will go gem shopping together!

Awww well thank you, you sapphire girl! Would you say blue sapphires are your favorite CS?

Mine are bluish green emeralds of course, despite my user name (which Ive pondered changing btw) haha

& That is a lovely little vision of spending a few hours there with you!
Maybe grabbing some coffee or tea before & go pickin'!
I usually never make purchases of more than $100 in person because I'm horrible at making quick decisions but luckily in Alb you can stretch a bill quite a bit!

I'll keep that in mind and let you know when we come up next & I'll create a LT listing for my contact info!
I sound awful but its always nice when Mr. B can take our daughter and have their sweet daddy-daughhter dates and let me have some time alone! If shopping or thrifting is included thats all the better!

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
I can see why you love that stone! Amazing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results