shape
carat
color
clarity

What would PSer do? Don''t want JTV colored stone e-ring offer...

What would you do?

• Other

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Try to find a JTV stone I can live with.

• Buy a knockoff that looks like a diamond solitare (he doesn''t like this idea, but I do)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I think most brides to be feel the way you do. One moment they are extremely excited and happy ... next it is a huge headache!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I get that way too! I''ve been engaged since March and have done NOTHING to plan a wedding, except put it off until 2010!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Any news yet?

l0v3lif3

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/22/2008 5:14:21 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Since I just finished reading through this thread and all...
I have a couple of questions:

Do you know how they are kept? In gem boxes or just in a big pile?
Has she done anything with them, like setting or wearing?

I''d look through her stones, and see if any are of decent enough quality or a big enough size that they can be recut. Dan is not really into recuts, and might do one as a last resort (at least it was like that for my stone(s)). I think I''d really try to stay away from her stones as much as possible, and unless one speaks to you, start looking elsewhere.

Also, I''d buy a 10x loupe, and use that to look at her stones-because if your BF can also look through the loupe and see whats inside of the stones, he might start thinking along the lines of getting a stone elsewhere.

I have two stones that are my potential engagement ring stones-one from Dan Stair, and one from Barry Bridgestock. It''s up to FF which one he picks. We''re on a budget too--preferably under $1k, but FF has loosened the purse strings to $2k--and both of my stones were under $200 each.

I can''t tell you how lovely Dan is. He answers all of my silly questions I have about cutting stones, and he''s responded to all of my emails in a timely manner. And I have emailed him A LOT. I also own 4 of the stones he''s cut, and they are amazing. He has custom cut a couple of stones for me (a gray spinel cushion that I LOVE, and a blue oval spinel that was intended for my ering, but was exchanged for a pink spinel he cut to sell publicly) and I can''t say enough about how beautiful the stones he cuts are.

I actually spent about 2 months looking for a spinel for my ering, and it was quite the task. So if you have any questions about Dan''s stones or where to find other vendors, please feel free to ask. Or if you''d like real life pictures, I can do that as well.

Good luck!
Some of the stones are from parcels, some were bought individually, they are mostly stored in itty bitty see through plastic containers.

Dan hasn''t gotten back to me since tuesday. Maybe it''s not worth it to him- I said my budget was up to 300. How often does he update with new stones. He''s changed the "currently cutting" pic three or four times. Do they all go on sale at the same time, and you just hope you happen to check his site in time to grab what you like? How does a waiting list work? It seems totally left to chance.

We''re going to be married before I have time to get a stone.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2008 2:19:58 AM
Author: l0v3lif3
Some of the stones are from parcels, some were bought individually, they are mostly stored in itty bitty see through plastic containers.

Dan hasn''t gotten back to me since tuesday. Maybe it''s not worth it to him- I said my budget was up to 300. How often does he update with new stones. He''s changed the ''currently cutting'' pic three or four times. Do they all go on sale at the same time, and you just hope you happen to check his site in time to grab what you like? How does a waiting list work? It seems totally left to chance.

We''re going to be married before I have time to get a stone.
Would you mind taking pictures of her collection? I have to confess I have some morbid curiosity going on here.

He only does an update about once a month. The way to it (the way I''ve done it) is to check his site once a day or so, and as soon as you see some rough you''re seriously interested in, email Dan about it. The stones he''s custom cut for me were pretty specifically requested, and he found rough that would fit my specifications, and cut it as best he could to what I wanted. So if you email him first about a certain stone, then you get first dibs on it. Anything besides first, and you have to wait to see if the people in front of you want the stone.

What size, color, shape and type of stone are you looking for? If you''re too general about what you''re looking for, it makes it a lot harder. This is part of the reason my ering stone thread is 20+ pages. So I suggest that unless you want to wait for it to appear on its own (which is what I had been doing for 6 months or so before my ering thread was started) you really need to figure out exactly what you want-color, size, shape, type, etc.

Do you have a time line that you''re hoping for??

l0v3lif3

Rough_Rock
I will try to take pics, I only have a crappy camera phone. If you could link me to a thread that talks about the best way to photograph gems that would help. I've seen the one about resizing, although who knows if I'll be able to do it.

I would like a cushion or round. 1ct 1.5, in pink. But I would consider other colors. I like Portuguese rounds a lot, they look great in the pics. My time line in now. Well, ASAP. We are only going to be engaged for a few months. If I can't get in the next month - 6 weeks, then I won't bother, I'll just get a 3mm gold band and be done with it.

edited for typo

E B

Ideal_Rock
He's always emailed me back quickly, so he must be busy. I'd tell him exactly what you told us you're looking for and that you want it ASAP. I just glanced at the picture of the pile of rough he has (that someone posted in another thread), and I see quite a few pink pieces.
31.gif

l0v3lif3

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/25/2008 3:45:48 PM
Author: EBree
He''s always emailed me back quickly, so he must be busy. I''d tell him exactly what you told us you''re looking for and that you want it ASAP. I just glanced at the picture of the pile of rough he has (that someone posted in another thread), and I see quite a few pink pieces.
31.gif
Okay, thanks. Can you tell me how a Portuguese round is different from a round. Is there a big flat facet on top? Can you set it like a normal round?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2008 3:50:02 PM
Date: 10/25/2008 3:45:48 PM

Author: EBree

He's always emailed me back quickly, so he must be busy. I'd tell him exactly what you told us you're looking for and that you want it ASAP. I just glanced at the picture of the pile of rough he has (that someone posted in another thread), and I see quite a few pink pieces.
31.gif

Okay, thanks. Can you tell me how a Portuguese round is different from a round. Is there a big flat facet on top? Can you set it like a normal round?

To be honest, I'm not really sure. I did find this from Dan's website, though (under 'How a gem is cut'):

It's a Portuguese style pattern that has twice as many facets as a standard round brilliant...

ETA: Here's where I found it. At the bottom, you can see a picture of the finished stone, and I'd guess it can be set the same as a normal round:

The cutting of a sapphire

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Maybe something happened to your email and you should try to send it again. The couple times I wrote to Dan - he responded within several hours. He was wonderful and I liked him a lot.

l0v3lif3

Rough_Rock
UH OH. I''ve been looking at settings online and have fallen in love with James Meyer''s designs...

Is it silly to elope so I can get the ring I like?

I''m running out the door, but I''ll post a few pics later.

l0v3lif3

Rough_Rock
UPDATE:

We are using an heirloom ring as an E-ring, since we are having a very short engagement and won''t have time to get something made. Then we''ll get plain gold bands, and I doubt I''ll wear the e-ring after that. When we can we''ll have an anniversary band made.

I don''t know how my terrible camera phone will capture it, but I''ll try when (if) the sun comes out.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2008 1:12:20 PM
UPDATE:

We are using an heirloom ring as an E-ring, since we are having a very short engagement and won''t have time to get something made. Then we''ll get plain gold bands, and I doubt I''ll wear the e-ring after that. When we can we''ll have an anniversary band made.

I don''t know how my terrible camera phone will capture it, but I''ll try when (if) the sun comes out.

By heirloom you mean the one on your side right? So that''s something you are happy with? Can''t wait to see!

l0v3lif3

Rough_Rock
Yes, it is my mother''s ring. Actually I have two to choose from. I''m cleaning them today and then I''ll decide. FI is happy, b/c he wanted me to have something real. I''m happy b/c it looks like an ering, and I don''t have to settle. It takes the pressure off of us both, which helps since we have to plan our whole wedding for 2,000 USD.

I have a vintage dress already. But the 2000 needs to cover an officiant, ceremony rental, reception rental and food. And a pretty little bouquet for me.
I felt sorry for myself for a minute, but people get married all over the world and are perfectly happy and it''s not required to have huge fancy expensive affair for it to be a legitimate meaningful ceremony.

I''m using my camera phone for pictures, I want more the setting with the highest pixels, right?

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad you''re going to get something you''re happy with! An heirloom ring with a vintage dress sounds great! And yes, $2000 is definitely enough for a wedding. The "meaningfulness" of a wedding is not determined by the amount of dollars spent. I haven''t done anything to plan my wedding yet, because I just can''t imagine spending the money that goes into it. You''ll be so thankful later when you are not in a huge pool of debt over your wedding day!

l0v3lif3

Rough_Rock
Kelli,
I think so too. One reason we went the way we did with the ring is I am against any kind of debt for our wedding expenses. If we can''t pay cash, we aren''t doing it.

I can''t manage to post a pic...

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe you should pass along this class action settlement info re: Jewelry Television to your future MIL

Info here

6.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/27/2008 4:23:20 PM
Kelli,

I think so too. One reason we went the way we did with the ring is I am against any kind of debt for our wedding expenses. If we can''t pay cash, we aren''t doing it.

THAT is a very smart decision! You will be very happy later that you did this even if it''s hard to plan for now.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results