shape
carat
color
clarity

What will happen to your diamonds after you die?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When my mother died, my sister and I sat down and divided her jewellery between us. It was very easy because we have different tastes and we each liked different pieces. Because I don't have any children, anything I collect will most likely go to my niece and nephew... depending on who likes what.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the rate I'm giving stuff away now, I might not have anything left if I live to old age. I'm not hung up on giving my jewels to members of the family. I want to give them to someone who has a love of whatever the piece is. Last year I gave a cousin a 2.5 carat sapphire and diamond ring because I rarely wore it. When I went back to PA for a family reunion, I wore the ring with the intention of giving it to the first person who said s/he loved it and that's what I did. I gave my stepson's ex girlfriend a 3 carat diamond ring because she always admired it and I admired her. That's probably how the rest of my stuff will be dispersed.
Wow, Matata, you are a sweetheart!
I am from PA, too, maybe I'm your long lost cousin!
I sure do admire that diamond you're wearing..............:lol:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if I knew I was dying I'd sell it all off and put the money in a trust fund for my son, otherwise the plan is when I'm old to sell off most of it and my son will end up with the funds.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 2 sons, 2 grand daughters and 3 grandsons.
If I am blessed to live many more years and have good health, I plan to enjoy my jewels into my elderly years. I will at some point, most likely sell my more expensive diamonds to leave cash/funds to my 2 boys. I plan on leaving each of my grand daughters a nice diamond and a few others pieces that they hopefully will cherish and wear.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I buy pieces for my children when I can, nowhere near what I wish I could, but I hope someday they wear them and smile.

Q

Queenie60

I have a daughter and a son. My daughter is to get whatever she wants. The remaining goes to my estate and they can sell it and divide the funds. It's very clear that my daughter has the say as to where my jewels go.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably leaving it to my nieces and sister...at least that is what the will says now. But sometimes I just want to leave it to an animal organization that I trust. The problem is not knowing what organization will be around that is trustworthy when the time comes. But I am definitely leaving some bling to my nieces and probably all of it.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter get everything my DH specifically gifted to me. She is very sentimental. If my son has a daughter, she would get some too. I would brainwash her early so I can ensure she becomes a bling lover. :mrgreen:

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, what an interesting topic - I have no children unfortunately, so I have no idea where my jewelry will go. I don't have a whole lot of jewelry/diamonds, but what I do have is VERY sentimental to me. I have my own engagement ring, which is an eternity band, an eternity band from my favorite aunt, and my grandmother's diamond solitaire (about .7 carats). So while there's nothing near a 3 ct diamond, I would still like what I have to go to a family member who will love and appreciate it, even if they broke the pieces apart and used them for something else.

I also only have 3 nephews, and no nieces, so I guess I'll have to hope a niece comes along at some point. My baby brother has only been married 2 years, so they may have children in the future.

As far as my grandmother's solitaire goes, I have 5 much younger cousins (with whom I shared my gram). I will likely leave that to the oldest girl great grand-daughter, if there are any to be born. My most recently married cousin just revealed she is pregnant, so if it's a girl, then perhaps I'll leave it to her! My gram loved her ring so much, so I really want to keep it in her direct line. For now, since I don't have a traditional e-ring, I wear it as a set with my eternity band and think of her every day.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Mine will go to my (only) child. She can wear them or sell them if the funds are more useful to her. I don't care, just hope they bring her pleasure either way.

Off topic, but Austina, who is the pup in your avatar? Is that a wolfhound? Such a sweet face! I have a deerhound pup here.
Yep, as long as she's not a money grabbing gold digger :lol:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine will go to my (only) child. She can wear them or sell them if the funds are more useful to her. I don't care, just hope they bring her pleasure either way.

Off topic, but Austina, who is the pup in your avatar? Is that a wolfhound? Such a sweet face! I have a deerhound pup here.

She's an Italian Spinone @Jennifer W . Deerhounds and Wolfhounds are beautiful, you rarely see them here.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Oh wow, I had to google the breed! They look absolutely amazing. Of course, in googling, I found puppies for sale... this can only end one way. I think they must be pretty rare in the UK, I've never seen them before, and we have shown our hounds a few times, at championship shows where you usually see most of the breeds in the ring.

In your photo, she looks just like a wolfhound!
She's an Italian Spinone @Jennifer W . Deerhounds and Wolfhounds are beautiful, you rarely see them here.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, they're pretty rare here too @Jennifer W . Ours is a rescue, and the most beautiful sweet soul. They're known for their extremely non aggression nature, she's an absolute dream.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love you Pinto!! :wavey::lol:

Mine will be divided between my 2 daughters. My eldest loves jewellery & in particular, gets lost in my pear solitaire, staring at it for ages. I have stipulated that she gets this (even though I plan to have a new solitaire much larger down the line). My youngest will get my full eternity, as it was the day after her birth that my husband wedged it on my swollen finger in hospital. Couldn't get it off for 2 weeks! But consequently I always associate this ring with her. There is also an untreated hot pink sapphire solitaire that my husband bought on the birth of daughter 1, with her name & dob engaged inside - she knows that's hers too.

The rest they can fight over!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have four kids- 3 girls and one boy so my stuff will get divided between them. I'm not sure about my big solitaire though.
I haven't really thought about that one.
The funny thing is none of my kids like jewelry except for my son. We "share" a loose stone collection. He comes into my room at night and asks me to see it. I pull out the box and he plays with the stones.
Some are synthetic and some stuff is real- like sapphires and rubies. He loves it!

FeFeV

Shiny_Rock
My daughter and I were talking about this yesterday, especially in regard to diamonds that are 3 carats and larger. Do you have someone in mind to give to? Assume the heirs will sell them?

What is your estate plan?
I actually wonder about this all of the time. DH and I love buying like new quality vintage luxury items and have quite the collection so far... We are definitely not having kids and I only have 1 sibling (whom is 6 years younger). Who will inherit my diamonds, all of mine & DH's 22kt gold wedding jewelry, my fur collection, numerous 24kt gold Bangles, my Mont Blanc writing collection, original artwork, DH's timepiece collection, even my REALLY nice leather goods???? I would cry eternally if everything ended up at Goodwill when I die.
We're young (33 & 28) and although we have life insurance, only DH has a Living Will because his company requires it. I don't even know who I would even include in a Will of my own.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My daughter will get first dibs, she has been eyeing my bling since she was a toddler! My son will get whatever is left for his future wife and/or daughters. My kids are only 15 and 13, but that is the plan I've shared with them.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No children here either. If DH outlives me, he gets everything. He will be very happy to have my cache of gems and jewelry, and he knows the value. He favors diamonds, so I'm pretty sure he'll just re-set my ER and wear it himself. Not sure what he'll do with the rest. There are a few yellow gold pieces I inherited from my mom and from my aunt, and he is welcome to those as well, but if he decides he doesn't want them for himself, he will keep it in my family and send to one of my sisters (his pick).

If I outlive my DH, though I have 7 nephews and 1 niece altogether, I am leaving everything to just one nephew. He will have the paper back-up documenting my jewelry/gemstone collection, and honestly I don't care if he liquidates it all. I know he won't smash the stones to pieces, so the actual diamonds and gemstones will outlive me (and my DH and my nephew for that matter).

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Matata, you are a sweetheart!
I am from PA, too, maybe I'm your long lost cousin!
I sure do admire that diamond you're wearing..............:lol:
I'm from Philly originally. I'm SURE we are related!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Each of my female cousins and a few close friends will get a piece, and the rest to my mother. I have a ring I inherited from DH's side of the family so that will go to his nephew. My only concern is for my true antique or unusual pieces which cannot be replaced and I wouldn't want sold for scrap.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My plan changes with time because my life has really changed in the last two years. If you had asked me a few years ago (and I think someone has in past in other similar threads), my answer would be different, today. Except for prying my eternity ring off my cold dead hands. OK same answer. :cheeky:

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two daughters and two granddaughters so far, and I hope my youngest ends up with at least one girl! So I need lots of diamonds to hand down!:lol:

Seriously, though, I hope each one gets one or two special pieces that they love and will keep, and they can do what they want with the rest!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We only have one child so my daughter will get it all. She loves to sit and go through all my gem and diamond cases and look at the loose stones and in my jewelry armoires.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My jewelry will be divided between my sons. I will give my 2nd son my tennis bracelet in addition. We have spent a lot more money on our older son.. (life etc.. not anger at my older son just each child is different). I gave my AVC 1.33 K to my older son for an engagement ring, and I have told my younger son my 1.61 I MRB will go to him.. the rest they can pick and choose. I have my grandmother's 1926 Art Deco engagement ring, that will go to my sisters daughter, I have my sisters garnet ring my grandmother gave her and that goes back to my neice, to my mom's other grand daughters I am giving each a ring of my mom's.. none of this stuff is worth lots but I want to keep it with people who loved me, my mom and jewelry.

P

PierreBear

Would it be odd to be buried with my eternity wedding band? Given that it still fits 50+years from now? Nothing special about the ring and something I actually rarely wear but sentimental about the meaning behind it. Not sure what to do about the other rings though!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results