shape
carat
color
clarity

What will happen to your diamonds after you die?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter and I were talking about this yesterday, especially in regard to diamonds that are 3 carats and larger. Do you have someone in mind to give to? Assume the heirs will sell them?

What is your estate plan?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is important to give them to someone who will appreciate them.
The heirs may just see dollar signs if they inherit your diamonds and other jewels.
I was gifted a diamond ring by an elderly friend, because he knew I loved jewelry. He was afraid his family would sell it when he died.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only have 1 daughter so the plan would be that they would go to her. However, if she does not appreciate jewels/diamonds I may
parse some of my (small) collection out to others (DIL, neices, etc). I dont own any 3 carat stones and probably never will...just too much
for my neck of the woods. If the kids would plan on selling it though I would probably stipulate that the money be divided between the
kids.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All my jewelry will go to my sister-in law (husband's sister) because I have two sons.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have sons too (daughters too) and I hope/assume they will eventually give me granddaughters!?

I'm hoping the same! I have two boys, so I think I'd leave my jewellery to any grand-daughters (although my boys are way too young for that to be a real plan yet!). I don't know what I'd do if they then only had boys or no children. I guess maybe leave them to my sons to pass on as they see fit, on the proviso that they stay in my 'bloodline' relatives?

On a pragmatic note, I'd prefer that whoever inherits them enjoys and keeps them, but ultimately once they're passed on I guess they'd be theirs to do with as they see fit (including if that means selling them).

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My diamonds and jewels will be dispersed among my 3 daughters and my son. I want him to have something of me too that he can pass on to his eventual partner, or maybe a daughter.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have one son, so if I ever have a DIL, my jewellery would go to her.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've sort of assigned things to my 2 daughters and told them I wouldn't care if they sold things or reset them. They can do whatever they want. I didn't want them to feel pressure to keep things if money would be more appreciated. Totally up to them. I'll probably start dispersing things early.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of our jewelry will be divided equally and go to our two daughters.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

This has become a sort of problem for me. I have one son, and he wants my yellow colored diamonds, tavorites, and demantoids. These are all loose stones. What to with the rest of the jewelry is the question. I have four nieces-none who are interested in jewelry. I have given three of them enough to last them. I gave a woman who helps me(she has been with me 12 yrs) three rings-tanz, ruby, tsavorite, which she adores, but its enough.

I have one other person in mind for some of it. She works at our food pantry. I once tried to give her a check. which she said she was not allowed to take, and so I gifted her a funny gift and she still had to go to the board and ask for permission to receive it. So if I'm dead and have my son give it to her they can't say she might be unduly influenced by a dead person, right? By the way, I have donated a check to the pantry, and the state accepted that. The lady would like some jewelry.

Last nite I watched QVC's jewelry day. They had a black coral ring, maybe a 9x7 stone set in gold for near $800.00. I was floored. Once on HSN a caller had said she had a black coral necklace that appraised for 25,000. I laughed at that as I had the same necklace. I actually called the seller and spoke to him. He just told me to hang on to it. Anyone here know how black coral got so expensive.? My collection might be worth inheriting.

Annette

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of women in my family to leave it to.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My nieces will get the bulk of the jewelry unless I do something with it first. I can't take it with me so I don't worry much about it.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good question. Is it bad that I haven't even thought about it before? I mean, I've thought about giving my son my diamond pendant necklace for him to use in an engagement ring if he wanted to (it was my Mom's engagement diamond and the two of them were very close), but I planned on being alive for that! :lol:

Right now I don't have too much of a collection - some diamond studs, the necklace, and (soon to be) 3+ct engagement ring. If my sister is still alive when I pass I might give her my ring, or if my son has married by that time and his bride likes the ring I would give it to HIM and have it stipulated that in the event of a divorce he would get the ring back. I've heard far too many horror stories about family heirlooms being lost in divorces :(

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the rate I'm giving stuff away now, I might not have anything left if I live to old age. I'm not hung up on giving my jewels to members of the family. I want to give them to someone who has a love of whatever the piece is. Last year I gave a cousin a 2.5 carat sapphire and diamond ring because I rarely wore it. When I went back to PA for a family reunion, I wore the ring with the intention of giving it to the first person who said s/he loved it and that's what I did. I gave my stepson's ex girlfriend a 3 carat diamond ring because she always admired it and I admired her. That's probably how the rest of my stuff will be dispersed.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All my jewelry will go to my daughter. At this point I don't have any DIL, but if I ever have any, the yellow gold pieces (with the exception of our wedding rings) can be divided between them. My daughter is not a yellow gold fan.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two daughters, so my jewelry will go to them. I also will ask them to pass a piece to my niece, goddaughter and the goddaughter's sister (I consider them all nieces.)

I probably should think about putting that all in writing. Also, I waver between having them decide putting in writing which pieces should go to my girls and which to each of the nieces.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have one son, so if I ever have a DIL, my jewellery would go to her.
I'd be ok with this as long as she enjoyed or appreciated it. If they divorced with no kids, I would want her to give them back to him. If they have kids, she can pass to the kids when they are old enough.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, as long as she's not a money grabbing gold digger :lol:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the rate I'm giving stuff away now, I might not have anything left if I live to old age. I'm not hung up on giving my jewels to members of the family. I want to give them to someone who has a love of whatever the piece is. Last year I gave a cousin a 2.5 carat sapphire and diamond ring because I rarely wore it. When I went back to PA for a family reunion, I wore the ring with the intention of giving it to the first person who said s/he loved it and that's what I did. I gave my stepson's ex girlfriend a 3 carat diamond ring because she always admired it and I admired her. That's probably how the rest of my stuff will be dispersed.

Can we be family? :lol-2::mrgreen:
Seriously, I fawn over everyone's jewelry. This recipient of this kind of generosity has got to feel like they just won the lottery. :D

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of it will probably go to my nieces. I also love the idea of giving a few of the pieces to friends who are jewelry lovers.

Hayley87

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Matata, I stopped believed in Santa Claus decades ago, but...are you Mrs. Claus?? ;-):lol:

(Honestly though, I love the easygoing attitude you used to describe how you've given pieces away; it reminds me very much of my dad, who loved surprising people with unexpected and generous gifts. I've tried to do the same thing within the means I currently have, and I hope I'm doing his memory proud. ::))

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think @upgradingmama declared herself my PS daughter so she gets my bling unless more PS children present themselves lolololol!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think @upgradingmama declared herself my PS daughter so she gets my bling unless more PS children present themselves lolololol!

Pinto, your collection is breathtaking! :love: :love: :love:

But I'm too old to be your daughter ... or even your cousin. :cry:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No significant jewellery to worry about.

I'll have to start buying some pieces that are worth fighting over. ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results