shape
carat
color
clarity

What will happen to your diamonds after you die?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would it be odd to be buried with my eternity wedding band? Given that it still fits 50+years from now? Nothing special about the ring and something I actually rarely wear but sentimental about the meaning behind it. Not sure what to do about the other rings though!

I wouldn't, but that is probably your perogative.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata:
I'm from Western PA!!! I'm certain I LOVE your entire collection! I'd be willing to have a DNA test to prove we're related...lol!! ;-)

Whitewave:
I have most of my family's heirloom pieces, on my mother's side.
While selecting ideas for my DH, before he proposed, I carefully selected pieces I wanted to add to the family collection to hand down to my daughter (and my son, if he wants any of it-she is 7, he is 17). My daughter shares my love of jewelry (esp my diamonds). She has also developed an appreciation of step-cuts (wonder where she gets that from? lol!) She will be first to choose her favorite pieces. She knows the blue topaz & tourquise go to her brother (they are his birthstones). I have garnet rings, and other loose garnets I intend to use to combine into a piece, custom made, just for her (garnet is my birthstone, and hers), along with some small diamonds from another heirloom piece that hasn't been worn in probably over a Century.
My nephew has a daughter, and I already passed on one of my Grandmother's YG "every day wear" wedding bands to him to give to her, when she's older (she's almost 2 years old). Should my son decide to marry, and ask to give her one of the diamond engagement rings, there will be a contract, in writing, that the ring will be returned to him, should the engagement end, or the marriage dissolve, regardless of cause. My jewelry will stay in my family. That is my only stipulation. That is non-negotiable. They can be reset, dipped, or combined, but they must stay in the family; not to be sold, traded, or "liquidated".

Last edited:

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
I have no children at this time, but I plan to. My wedding set will go to the oldest daughter, and if no daughters, either my sons, my nieces, or my brother's wife.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I don't have an enormous collection, but what I have will go to my daughter and son. My daughter will get whatever version of an e-ring I have at the time of my death, as I don't want it to leave the family through a daughter-in-law. Of course, my daughter may sell it and I suppose being dead, I'll have no control over that! But I don't want the ring to be involved in a divorce and not given back. She's also going to inherit my sister's 2 ct erring, which was my grandma's ring and also had been given to my mom. She'll get my Cartier watch too. The rest I can give to my son, or whatever is of equal value.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know this is an old thread but I've been thinking about this a lot lately.

I've been reading many threads recently about people with sentimental heirlooms they inherited from their parents/grandparents/etc which made me realize how I have pretty much nothing "from the family". Which then got me wanting to pass along pieces to my sons & grandchildren so THEY will one day have special pieces to remember me by. So now everything I think about getting for myself, I want to make sure are quality pieces I can pass down to generations (which also means better quality blings for me! :P2)

But we just had our 2nd son and we're done, so no daughters to share my blings with. Hopefully my sons will give me some granddaughters, though they're only 3 & 2 months old so that's a long way to go :mrgreen2:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the rate I'm giving stuff away now, I might not have anything left if I live to old age. I'm not hung up on giving my jewels to members of the family. I want to give them to someone who has a love of whatever the piece is. Last year I gave a cousin a 2.5 carat sapphire and diamond ring because I rarely wore it. When I went back to PA for a family reunion, I wore the ring with the intention of giving it to the first person who said s/he loved it and that's what I did. I gave my stepson's ex girlfriend a 3 carat diamond ring because she always admired it and I admired her. That's probably how the rest of my stuff will be dispersed.

I love this - its such a meaningful way to do it. In a way, its like letting your individual pieces decide where they should go. =)2

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'll start by saying that the only thing of value my grandmother had was her engagement ring....about 4cts. Ok quality. Lots of other bad jewelry...but not the point. The ring went to my aunt, her oldest daughter. She also got a small eternity. The screw up came when the will was written. She specifically told me (we lived close and saw her often) that each of the 8 grandchildren were to select a piece after the 2 daughters in law, starting with the oldest granddaughter, of three, then the middle, then the youngest, and then on to the 5 grandsons (two of whom were already married). It was reversed, and the boys (their wives) went first. My grandmother's intent was to have those with an emotional attachment go first. Since my mother went first, I got what I wanted....nothing valuable, but a pair of garnet and diamond stacking rings that my grandmother wore to every special occasion. Thought needs to be given to the distribution.

My pretties? We have no kids, but my oldest niece let me know that she wanted my engagement ring (she was 6 at the time, and now 14) because it was nicer that her mom's! Lol. In actuality they are pretty much identical in quality....though mine in a lot bigger! Smart girl.

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ideally they will be passed down to grand kids (for some reason I feel like it would be less likely be liquidated if passed down to grand kids), unless one of my children is really into certain pieces and would wear it...

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will probably go to grandkids, if I have any. Like many posters, they must stay in the family. Like @Rubybrick said, I think the chance that it will stay in the family is if it goes to a grandchild. My daughter will get to choose as well. She already wants everything specifically gifted to me by her father. We'll see what the grandkids want.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not that I have a lot but assuming by the time I pass on - I've written a provision in my will that they are to be divided up evenly between my sisters, if I outlive them, then between their children.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I've already given away a lot of jewellery to my sisters. And I am planning to whittle down my stuff to nothing. Perhaps my son will get my Rolex, other than that, I don't plan on having anything to give.

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results