shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do with my old diamond? Re-cut? Sell? GIA included

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
since you are "leaving no stone unturned" and might be alright with non ideal recut. there is a diamond cutting facility in dallas, southwest diamond cutters. might be worthwhile to reach out to them as well, while you are at it

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
since you are "leaving no stone unturned" and might be alright with non ideal recut. there is a diamond cutting facility in dallas, southwest diamond cutters. might be worthwhile to reach out to them as well, while you are at it

Thank you!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would totally recut. That’s just me though. BGD if they will do it.

As others have said, it looks like a prime candidate for a recut, and if you plan to wear it and not sell it you don’t actually need to get it recertified right now. Whoever recuts your stone will be able to provide you a sarin with the measurements etc. so you have those for your records, and if you do want to sell you could always get a cert then or ask the buyer to pay for the cert (though I think the latter will be more likely to work if you get it recut to an OEC instead of MRB). In general, I think OEC would work better for your stone (no expert here, but the greater depth makes me feel like the stone is more suited to being an OEC or transitional than an MRB). Excited for your update on what you decide to do!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Can we see a picture of the diamond? The proportions plus a small culet sounds like it might be close to an Early American Cut already.

As a reference, one of my Early American Cut/Transitional Cuts also graded as RB, and it's just a bit off of yours in proportion. I would think it wouldn't be too difficult to modify yours to look old if that's what you want. https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=1182932573

Last edited:

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
As others have said, it looks like a prime candidate for a recut, and if you plan to wear it and not sell it you don’t actually need to get it recertified right now. Whoever recuts your stone will be able to provide you a sarin with the measurements etc. so you have those for your records, and if you do want to sell you could always get a cert then or ask the buyer to pay for the cert (though I think the latter will be more likely to work if you get it recut to an OEC instead of MRB). In general, I think OEC would work better for your stone (no expert here, but the greater depth makes me feel like the stone is more suited to being an OEC or transitional than an MRB). Excited for your update on what you decide to do!

Thanks for the Sarin idea. I did not think of that.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
Can we see a picture of the diamond? The proportions plus a small culet sounds like it might be close to an Early American Cut already.

As a reference, one of my Early American Cut/Transitional Cuts also graded as RB, and it's just a bit off of yours in proportion. I would think it wouldn't be too difficult to modify yours to look old if that's what you want. https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=1182932573

You may be right. The diamond was in my hubby’s family for a very long time. No one had set it in any jewelry and honestly, no one remembers who bought it and/or when. When hubby and I got engaged 20 years ago, his mom gave us the stone. She did not buy it and assumed that her mom bought it. The stone is coming back to me from GIA and I should have it back tomorrow. I will post pics then.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
Update: The diamond is with Ari at Singlestone. He is recutting it to an ideal OEC. He is not cheap, $950, but I saw a number of his cuts today and I liked him. He is also within 30 minutes of my house, so I don’t have to mail the diamond. The OECs I saw today were out of this world!
The diamond is actually going back into its original setting, which is my original engagement ring. When I recently upgraded my engagement ring, I could not part with my original setting and I kept it. The diamond was removed from the original setting because my first thought was to sell the diamond to pay for the upgrade. It turns out I’m sentimental and could not part with either my original diamond nor setting. Now, I will have 2 engagement rings. Poor me:roll2::roll2: I really appreciate all of the help. Photos to come in 3 weeks.

I also decided not to send it back to GIA because I’m keeping it.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
oh how exciting! im thrilled for you!

so very good to know that ari does ideal oecs. i love his settings so much!
personally, especially after a recut, i wouldn't let it go either.

i am looking forward to the before and after images!

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
oh how exciting! im thrilled for you!

so very good to know that ari does ideal oecs. i love his settings so much!
personally, especially after a recut, i wouldn't let it go either.

He pulled out an entire box of OECs today. Beyond amazing. My drool must still be on the box.
he also spent a lot of time with me and answered a lot of questions. I also found him to be very honest. I have an old small ring that was my grandmothers and another jeweler once told me that it was in need of repair. I brought it today to Ari and Ari spent a lot of time with the ring and determined that the ring was fine. He could have easily made money off the ring, but instead is just going to resize it.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
I got a sneak peak at the stone today. Ari has Re-cut it and it looks so nice. It went from a MRB to OEC. Singlestone is setting it back in its original home- my 20 year old engagement ring. I should have pics next week. I’m so glad that I had it recut- worth every penny

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
so glad you got it recut from a round brilliant to an ideal oec! i just love old cuts! happy for you!

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
So exciting!

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
I can’t wait to see it! Ask him for a sarin (Scan of the diamond) so you have the exact proportions.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
Here’s the update...... the stone was recut by SingleStone and reset back into its home (which is my original engagement ring). I don’t get to pick it up until Wednesday, but SingleStone sent me some pics today. CB640D88-3965-4FE8-BAE7-3352C5E63186.jpeg 6443E05E-19CB-48C9-8EFD-F900788E0177.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This has turned out to be very happy thread

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Oh gosh what a transformation! How much weight or mm did you lose?

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
Here’s the update...... the stone was recut by SingleStone and reset back into its home (which is my original engagement ring). I don’t get to pick it up until Wednesday, but SingleStone sent me some pics today. CB640D88-3965-4FE8-BAE7-3352C5E63186.jpeg 6443E05E-19CB-48C9-8EFD-F900788E0177.jpeg

gorgeous, beautiful recut!! i love the cute little culet ...

i love how quickly you go from seeking opinions, to making a decision, to selecting a recutter, to final outcome. i didn't see you fret, not one bit, in the entire process. good job and well done!

i'd love to follow in those carefree footsteps, should i ever go through a custom cut

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock

i love how quickly you go from seeking opinions, to making a decision, to selecting a recutter, to final outcome. i didn't see you fret, not one bit, in the entire process. good job and well done!

i'd love to follow in those carefree footsteps, should i ever go through a custom cut

This decision was really easy for me mainly because SingleStone is a joy to work with. Ari walked me through everything.

If only I could make a decision regarding my new engagement ring. I bought a diamond (which I love) and had it set, didn’t like it and had it set again and didn’t like it again! Now, I’m working with David Klass and we are going to try to set it for a THIRD time. The first 2 times, I designed the ring and I now know 100% that I’m not a jewelry designer because I threw the entire kitchen sink into my design and it didn’t turn out well. Oops.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh dear lord is that gorgeous! Congrats. :)

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
If it hasn't been set yet, can you ask Ari to check for something that looks weird in his picture? Around 11 o'clock in the after picture, there appears to be some chips that weren't in your diamond before the cut. Not sure if it's reflecting something but I'd want that checked out.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations - that looks fabulous! I have to say, if I had an engagement ring like that, I don't think I'd bother with an upgrade!

Just a question - can you share with us Ari's price for a re-cut? Most recutters seem to charge around $400-$500 / ct for a recut and it's helpful information to be able to share with others who come onto PS looking for a recut; it's a pretty common question.

I wish you every joy with the reset of your other ring and hope it knocks your socks off! but in the meantime...congrats on *this* beauty; I suspect you're going to start a trend here on PriceScope!!

ETA @NicoleNeedsHelp - when you receive the new grading certificate or the Sarin report, can you pls share it here? It would be fascinating to see how the proportions changed, and would give people an idea if their diamond was eligible for recut also.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@NicoleNeedsHelp your post saying you have a teenager so if you were to drop today it would be buried with you had me in stitches. My mother used to say the same thing to me when I was being less than loving :lol: . Gorgeous stone btw, great decision.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
If it hasn't been set yet, can you ask Ari to check for something that looks weird in his picture? Around 11 o'clock in the after picture, there appears to be some chips that weren't in your diamond before the cut. Not sure if it's reflecting something but I'd want that checked out.

I didn’t even see that. I will send an email. I don’t get the ring until Wednesday

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations - that looks fabulous! I have to say, if I had an engagement ring like that, I don't think I'd bother with an upgrade!

Just a question - can you share with us Ari's price for a re-cut? Most recutters seem to charge around $400-$500 / ct for a recut and it's helpful information to be able to share with others who come onto PS looking for a recut; it's a pretty common question.

I wish you every joy with the reset of your other ring and hope it knocks your socks off! but in the meantime...congrats on *this* beauty; I suspect you're going to start a trend here on PriceScope!!

ETA @NicoleNeedsHelp - when you receive the new grading certificate or the Sarin report, can you pls share it here? It would be fascinating to see how the proportions changed, and would give people an idea if their diamond was eligible for recut also.

Ari was expensive! It was $900. The diamond was a 1.24 carats and after the recut is a 1.22 carat. Ari is very up front with his pricing and I agreed to the price before the work began and the price did not change. He also cleaned up the ring and installed new prongs. The ring wasn’t in the best condition when he received it as I wore it for 20 years.

I also contacted Brian Gavin (he was very nice and responsive) who was a “minimum of $450 per carat” (he couldn’t give me a final price until he saw the stone). I contacted Victor Canera and he was not doing recuts. I ended up with Ari because I live locally and I avoided all of the shipping costs. Gavin would have ended up being close to the same by the time I shipped it. I also, in my opinion, think that Ari has a good eye for diamonds. He has this diamond box and holy moly (if only I could run fast and there weren’t armed guards- now I know that the guards are there for crazy ladies, not robberies).

I am not going to bother having it regraded by GIA because I’m keeping it. It is my original diamond given to me 21 years ago by my mother in law who has now passed away. However, I’ll get the info about the cut from Ari because I want to know as well.

I do love this ring, which is why I struggle with the other one so much. This one is just very small. Amy has the other rings and is working on a plan. I didn’t even post pics of the galley- but I will below.

In sum, the recut was so easy and I really enjoyed Ari. I took it in to the shop. Ari looked at it and even predicted that it would go from a 1.24 to a 1.22 carat. (While Ari was looking at the stone, I played with all of his diamonds, including the one he has listed for $99,000 on his website— wowsa). And, I think it is the right cut for the style of ring. 26731825-C13B-476E-8B8D-9D9C10ABB02D.png

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
@NicoleNeedsHelp your post saying you have a teenager so if you were to drop today it would be buried with you had me in stitches. My mother used to say the same thing to me when I was being less than loving :lol: . Gorgeous stone btw, great decision.

I also threaten to put him up for adoption whenever he acts up! Actually, he is a wonderful kiddo. I only had the opportunity to have one child and he is a joy, even in his teenage years.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
He also cleaned up the ring and installed new prongs. The ring wasn’t in the best condition when he received it as I wore it for 20 years.
It may not have been as expensive as you are thinking. Pulling and resetting and prong repairs or other work on the ring that may be needed are almost always extra. These things add up.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! A very exciting result. Can't wait to see handshots!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results