shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do with my old diamond? Re-cut? Sell? GIA included

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
I recently upgraded my engagement ring with a new diamond (found by you guys! Thanks again).

My old diamond was uncertified. I sent it off to GIA and it is now certified. However, it is not the best diamond. I have attached the GIA. Do you think it is worth getting it re-cut? Or should I just sell it? If it is not worth much, I could always have it set in a pendant or something. 5C057F3C-2594-4C1B-8531-DA415313AB77.png

Your ideas and thoughts, please.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It could be a good recut canidate being chaged to a well cut 1ct+ that would be more valuable.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about a bangle bracelet?

Here is mine using my mum's 1.96ct MRB that is not certified.

I don't like MRBs for rings, hence I did not go down the re-cut route.

Shown with my diamond tennis bracelet in probably my favourite stack with this bangle.

DK :))

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
you could recut it into an ideal round brilliant ... OR an ideal oec, if you like old cuts

whether for a pendant, cuff bracelet, another ring etc a well cut diamond would be so much more fun to look at ...

after a recut, i would rather keep it BUT if you do decide to sell, it will fetch a better price

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
you could recut it into an ideal round brilliant ... OR an ideal oec, if you like old cuts

whether for a pendant, cuff bracelet, another ring etc a well cut diamond would be so much more fun to look at ...

after a recut, i would rather keep it BUT if you do decide to sell, it will fetch a better price

I do like OEC. Any idea where to take it or an approx. price to recut (Just looking for ballpark figures so I know what I’m getting into). I’m in Los Angeles area

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
as far as i know, two vendors cut ideal oecss. jon at distinctive gems and victor at victor canera.

victor's oecs are more transitional looking than jon's. jon's are more classical oec

victor is in downtown la. whereas jon is in ny

i'd first determine who's ideal oecs you favour. im fairly certain jon is willing to recut. im unsure about victor, though

i recall a recut being several hundred .... im guesstimating about $300-$350 something like that ... i've heard it being lower but i'd rather err on the side of conservative

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
How about a bangle bracelet?

Here is mine using my mum's 1.96ct MRB that is not certified.

I don't like MRBs for rings, hence I did not go down the re-cut route.

Shown with my diamond tennis bracelet in probably my favourite stack with this bangle.

TennisBracelet_15.jpg

That bangle is so pretty! I don’t have a bangle.:twisted2:

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
as far as i know, two vendors cut ideal oecss. jon at distinctive gems and victor at victor canera.

victor's oecs are more transitional looking than jon's. jon's are more classical oec

victor is in downtown la. whereas jon is in ny

i'd first determine who's ideal oecs you favour. im fairly certain jon is willing to recut. im unsure about victor, though

i recall a recut being several hundred .... im guesstimating about $300-$350 something like that ... i've heard it being lower but i'd rather err on the side of conservative

Great info. Many thanks. I contacted Victor Canera about a different project (making a pendant) and we exchanged a few emails and after I gave him my budget (which was small, but still $5000 for a pendant), he stopped responding. That rubbed me the wrong way, so I may look to Jon.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I think Brian Gavin does recuts for mrb. It's priced per carat from memory and roughly $300/carat. Since you have the GIA certificate it'll make it easier to tell you if it's a candidate for a recut.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
Great info. Many thanks. I contacted Victor Canera about a different project (making a pendant) and we exchanged a few emails and after I gave him my budget (which was small, but still $5000 for a pendant), he stopped responding. That rubbed me the wrong way, so I may look to Jon.

yes, i can see how that would rub you the wrong way ... i understand ... sometimes communication can be "tricky" and less than ideal

i would contact jonathan at distinctive gems, then. personally, i favour a classical oec over a transitional oec but that's just me.

please do keep us all posted on this fun project!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If this were a dealer I would definitely expect them to recut it. That's a prime candidate. For a customer, I would only do it if:

1) You're planning on keeping it.
2) The cutting bugs you. (It hasn't so far)
3) You have a high tolerance for risk and drama without time pressure.

The problem is the fees. In addition to the cutter you are going to need to send it BACK to GIA for another round. That means 2 directions of shipping to the cutter, two to the lab, and then another 2 to whoever is going to make something out of it. That's 6 trips at upwards of $75 each trip. The cutters normally charge by the carat and expect $300-500/ct from the starting weight. You're going to be into this project for upwards of $750 and maybe approaching a grand. They can't guarantee results but most are pretty skilled at estimating what the outcome will look like.

A 1ct+ I/VS/xxx is a pretty popular set of specs but selling is a pain, even in the best of circumstances. If you are going to be selling it to a dealer, let them deal with the recutting. Keep your money.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think the fees would be more than covered by the increased value maybe even when selling to a dealer.
The gia cut grade makes it not sellable as is so any offers are going to be extremely low ball.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ari at singlestone quoted me 750 back in the day for a 1.43 mrb to cut to oec. Like. 7 years ago or
More.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
If this were a dealer I would definitely expect them to recut it. That's a prime candidate. For a customer, I would only do it if:

1) You're planning on keeping it.
2) The cutting bugs you. (It hasn't so far)
3) You have a high tolerance for risk and drama without time pressure.

The problem is the fees. In addition to the cutter you are going to need to send it BACK to GIA for another round. That means 2 directions of shipping to the cutter, two to the lab, and then another 2 to whoever is going to make something out of it. That's 6 trips at upwards of $75 each trip. The cutters normally charge by the carat and expect $300-500/ct from the starting weight. You're going to be into this project for upwards of $750 and maybe approaching a grand. They can't guarantee results but most are pretty skilled at estimating what the outcome will look like.

A 1ct+ I/VS/xxx is a pretty popular set of specs but selling is a pain, even in the best of circumstances. If you are going to be selling it to a dealer, let them deal with the recutting. Keep your money.

All great points!

1. I think I will keep it. I like all the ideas of resetting it in something else.
2. It didn’t bother me before I met all of you guys! I blame PS. Now, I keep track of depth, angles, tables :razz:. Darn you guys:kiss2:
3. No time pressure. I already re-did my engagement ring. This stone is just sitting with me
4. I do appreciate the advice regarding all of the fees. I had to pay about $30 to ship it to GIA and another $115 for the cert. It seems to make the most sense if I have it re-cut and re-set at the same place.

We will see. I really do appreciate all of the advice

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
do you have kids ? plural ?
what do you want to happen to your new ER when you kick the bucket ?
wouldn't it be nice if there was another item of jewlery left for them

maybe your family isnt sentimental so it doesn't apply and i don't even have an ER of my own but if i did and i got an upgrade (even more unlikely than getting an ER to start with) i would not want to part with the diamond that would have represented by marrage up untill now

i love the bangle idea soooo much
or do you really need the money for something more important?

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
do you have kids ? plural ?
what do you want to happen to your new ER when you kick the bucket ?
wouldn't it be nice if there was another item of jewlery left for them

maybe your family isnt sentimental so it doesn't apply and i don't even have an ER of my own but if i did and i got an upgrade (even more unlikely than getting an ER to start with) i would not want to part with the diamond that would have represented by marrage up untill now

i love the bangle idea soooo much
or do you really need the money for something more important?

I only have one kiddo. The kiddo is 13 and in the midst of puberty, so if I die soon, my instructions are to BURY IT WITH ME! :twirl:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I only have one kiddo. The kiddo is 13 and in the midst of puberty, so if I die soon, my instructions are to BURY IT WITH ME! :twirl:

:mrgreen2:

well but hopefully you will live to be an old graceful lady with all your sparkly marbles till the end !

i do love the bangle idea

could it be set so the chip is not visible so you wouldn't need to spend money on a recut ?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you can make it a necklace!

Great idea!

Not for me personally, as I don't wear pendant/necklace that often. And my 1.96ct MRB would disappear around my chunky neck!

It gets a lot of wear being set as a bangle for me.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
Great idea!

Not for me personally, as I don't wear pendant/necklace that often. And my 1.96ct MRB would disappear around my chunky neck!

It gets a lot of wear being set as a bangle for me.

Would you mind sending a few more pics of your bangle? I only wish mine was a 1.96, it is only 1.2. However, I do like the idea of resetting it into an everyday item. If I may also be so bold to ask who made your bangle - and it looks to be white gold?

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
Would you mind sending a few more pics of your bangle? I only wish mine was a 1.96, it is only 1.2. However, I do like the idea of resetting it into an everyday item. If I may also be so bold to ask who made your bangle - and it looks to be white gold?

I found the pics of your bangle, who made it and I love that it is platinum. It seems like my 1.2 stone will lack the “presence” that yours has. My stone comes back from GIA tomorrow, so I’ll put it on my wrist and neck and see what works.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here you go, my bangle project thread: Bangle Project thread

It's platinum, and it was made by Simon Wright in London, UK.

Yours will look good in a bangle as it is a big size!

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
I think Brian Gavin does recuts for mrb. It's priced per carat from memory and roughly $300/carat. Since you have the GIA certificate it'll make it easier to tell you if it's a candidate for a recut.

Thanks. I emailed Brian Gavin. Do you know what city he is based?

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
yes, i can see how that would rub you the wrong way ... i understand ... sometimes communication can be "tricky" and less than ideal

i would contact jonathan at distinctive gems, then. personally, i favour a classical oec over a transitional oec but that's just me.

please do keep us all posted on this fun project!

FYI- I contacted Victor because his shop is about 20 mins from me. A rep said that they do not recut diamonds. I guess they stopped recutting or something else. I am checking some local places first (so as to avoid shipping fees) and then I will move on to Jon. Thanks again for your help.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
I have decided to recut the diamond and re-set it (likely as a bangle as DK suggested :kiss2:). I’m looking for referrals for someone to recut the stone in Los Angeles. I emailed victor Canera, but they don’t recut anymore. I also emailed Singlestone.

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
@NicoleNeedsHelp
oh good to know. thanks for reporting back, its very helpful! im fairly certain singlestone is willing to recut but it probably is not going to be ideal oec, as long as you are alright with that

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
@NicoleNeedsHelp
oh good to know. thanks for reporting back, its very helpful! im fairly certain singlestone is willing to recut but it probably is not going to be ideal oec, as long as you are alright with that

I might be, not sure yet. I’m going to wait to hear back on price from singlestone. I’m also going to contact Jon. Jon is in NY?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results