shape
carat
color
clarity

what to do when you dislike your custom setting?

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Hello again Violetjane,
I have been looking at your pics a lot today. It is a beautiful ring! Prongs are personal (but do think claws would look stunning). As is, I agree they are bulky. I *think* they can be shaved thinner? Not sure of can be made claws. Thinner would help.

As far as lowering the main stone goes, I like an "underhalo". Personal preference. With underhalos the centerstone is somewhat raised above. So not flush. Flush is flush. Low is low. All what your eye likes.

The halo is pretty and the diamonds are a flattering size IMO. They complement your center stone well .Doesnt look like marcasite! Lol! I did chuckle at your comment because I am not a marcasite fan either. No way does the halo look like marcasite!! I wouldn't mess with the diamonds in the halo, but of course this is your ring & u need to love it. I like BIG and WOW! Your halo looks big and wow to me :).

Can't speak to non single cuts, etc. (Need to GOOGLE actually). Halo angle.....all the details other PSers can note. They have more trained eyes.

I priced one custom ring at VC and the setting (setting) was $8k (fully hand made). My pockets can't go that deep for a setting. So, I understand your desire and balance to get a "similar look" for a more reasonable price. Also feel throwing good $ after bad is smart. BUT not sure this is the case here at all.

violetjane

Rough_Rock
perfect pictures! thank you all. I'll go in with these pictures and I imagine this should be do-able and I'll update as we go along. This is a great site! TU for the compliments on the stone, I actually bought it years ago as an estate piece with the intention of someday using it in an ER. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you will come to a resolution with the jeweller. For me, the differences are too great to be similar to the VC ring. It's more than the prongs to me, it is the downward angle of the inner halo that would bother me. That could be the reason why the stone is sitting higher above the halo. Unfortunately, the only way to correct this is to totally remake the ring.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's a pretty ring, and would be even more so with daintier prongs. But it's obviously not what you want.

I can't help but notice that on three occasions in this thread you've indicated that you wanted the inner halo angled toward the center stone. It makes me wonder if at some point you also, unintentionally, communicated that to the jeweler...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1451524785|3968735 said:
I hope you will come to a resolution with the jeweller. For me, the differences are too great to be similar to the VC ring. It's more than the prongs to me, it is the downward angle of the inner halo that would bother me. That could be the reason why the stone is sitting higher above the halo. Unfortunately, the only way to correct this is to totally remake the ring.

It is too late to edit now, but I'd like to clarify that it is the inner halo that is sloping downwards towards the diamond, rather than starting at the girdle and sloping downwards away from the diamond.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Glad you will talk to the designer Violetjane. Please update us and GL! You mentioned he is nice and sounded like he will work with you :) :)

So, in general or broad speaking, where would one go from here if it doesnt fit the bill? If someone decideed they didnt like it at all? Or the jeweler says it can't be changed. I believe some of the things can't be tweaked (ie: angle of halo).

Just wondering what the steps would be at this point IF someone absolutely doesn't like it (or the changes are not able to be done at this point). Ask for a total redo? Ask for $ back and move on?

I heard of a few times locally someone has returned a custom item and made a "chargeback" (?) ( on the customers end to get the payment back since not happy). In turn, it was going to be disputed on the jewelers end for payment. Maybe laws vary state to state. It's interesting since someone is paying for goods to be delivered, but if you're not satisfied w the goods delivered....what happens then?

Curious....

violetjane

Rough_Rock
hi ,

I believe I communicated the angle thing very specifically, in fact, sent several emails about certain things and that was one of them. I also sent him the close ups of the VC and the youtube video and specifically mentioned wanting the inner halo to angle the way VC's does. I don't know how much more specific I could be, I will say I had a bad feeling bc when i sent the emails I'd get a very quick response that was not indicative of having specifically acknowledged the details of what I'd said, but more " don't worry the ring will be great." The ring is great, but it's not the VC copy I asked for and wanted and was told could be done, exactly.

So that's the issue. I agree that the ring wont be able to be replicated without remaking it- if he is willing to do it, that is what I want. I believe he should, since I did communicate in very specific ways ( the only diff to the VC thing I asked for was to NOT do a donut, but go straight to the band like Mark Turnowski does of ERD, so i could wear a band flush with the ring. So that part wasn't done either, that I can live with bc to me its a much smaller issue than the way it looks.

What I'm going to do is tell him the main issue is the inner halo design and that I want it angled the way the VC is. I'd like larger stones than the ones there ( slightly) and I don't mind paying the fee for that. If he can't do that I'll ask what he can do to lower the stone and correct the prongs. If he'll return the ring entirely if he can't change it appreciably, I would do that. If he won't return it , I'll keep it and sell the setting down the line later, which I'm sure will be at a loss, and buy the VC ring.

What I won't do is wear a ring forever that I don't love and adore, as someone else said i could see myself just not wearing it at all which would be silly.

I'm hoping at the least he can make some changes that make it wearable until I can start over. If he could remake it almost exactly I'd be thrilled and that would be the best scenario. I have hopes it will all somehow be alright because he seems very committed to making sure that his customers are 100% satisfied, and he seems very genuine about that.

Which would be awesome because I love jewelry and I would be a huge return customer and would sing his praises if he works with me on this to my true 100% satisfaction, which I have high hopes they will.

I would never ask for a chargeback, ultimately I don't blame the jeweler at all, I did communicate all fo this but this is a lesson that you should never show pictures or even a video and expect an exact replica, I should have had a document to give him with point by point pointers on the prongs, the halo, the size of the diamonds etc.

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock
i had a bangle made but had to return because it was not what i had in mind despite clear communications. As it was a beautifully made bangle nonetheless, the jeweller bought back the piece after deducting the labour cost which I offered to absorb. I continue to buy from her after that incident.

Hope you are able to alter the setting to your satisfaction. Just
exploring options... the setting of your ring looks beautiful in the last pictures you posted. If the jeweller thinks the same and is confident about the setting, perhaps he/she can set it with a diamond or color stone to resell it as a ring? if the vendor sees opportunity to make profit from the setting, he/she may be motivated to refund, at least partially?

violetjane

Rough_Rock
just a note to all of you helpful PS'ers, my jeweler and I met and he's re-making the entire ring. I couldn't be more pleased with the customer service, and we went over every detail and I think the next setting will be much more in line with what I covet lol.

I decided after much lurking here and on pinterest to change from a cushion halo to a round halo. I feel that a cushion halo on a round stone can be beautiful, but in the case of my center stone, the cushion halo seemed to add more 'bulk' and make it more of a 'clunky' looking ring vs the elegant stunner I'm envisioning. I also think it might be easier for the jeweler to create the seamless look of a VC with a round halo. I also asked for flush fitting stems and not a donut bc I like my bands to fit flush. I think it will be gorgeous and I'll post a picture as soon as its done, thanks again for the responses! :angel: :wavey:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats great. I hope you get a perfect ring you wanted this time

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring is not going to look like a Victor made ring because of a few things, the tilt angles are incorrect as everyone has pointed out and the average jewellery doesn't understand that let alone know how to copy it, the piece has been cast so there is a lot more metal showing to my eye than a piece made by Victor, there is a very slight gap between the halo and where the centre stone sits in the halo and the prongs are not as delicately made which is the one thing you might be able to get fixed.

You keep stating you want larger melee in the main halo - why? Are you trying to make your centre stone look bigger? If you are specifically trying to make the ring look like a VC piece he uses quite small melee but every ring he does is different and so the size of the stones in the halo he makes are ones he considers visually in proportion to the centre stone. The larger the centre stone the smaller the melee he tends to go for. I am not sure if the melee he would use would be any larger it's the fact there would be less metal showing, the tilt angles would be different and the shape of the overall halo around the stone to my eye would be more fluid as well.

If the jeweller you went to claimed he could make a similar ring and obviously he couldn't and you have email documentation of that then ask for a full refund for a similar price go to ERD or pay the extra money and get a halo done by Victor. If you do go with Victor then I emphasise again so you are not disappointed the size of the stones in the halo might not be much bigger than what you already have.

violetjane

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1453509875|3979993 said:
The ring is not going to look like a Victor made ring because of a few things, the tilt angles are incorrect as everyone has pointed out and the average jewellery doesn't understand that let alone know how to copy it, the piece has been cast so there is a lot more metal showing to my eye than a piece made by Victor, there is a very slight gap between the halo and where the centre stone sits in the halo and the prongs are not as delicately made which is the one thing you might be able to get fixed.

You keep stating you want larger melee in the main halo - why? Are you trying to make your centre stone look bigger? If you are specifically trying to make the ring look like a VC piece he uses quite small melee but every ring he does is different and so the size of the stones in the halo he makes are ones he considers visually in proportion to the centre stone. The larger the centre stone the smaller the melee he tends to go for. I am not sure if the melee he would use would be any larger it's the fact there would be less metal showing, the tilt angles would be different and the shape of the overall halo around the stone to my eye would be more fluid as well.

If the jeweller you went to claimed he could make a similar ring and obviously he couldn't and you have email documentation of that then ask for a full refund for a similar price go to ERD or pay the extra money and get a halo done by Victor. If you do go with Victor then I emphasise again so you are not disappointed the size of the stones in the halo might not be much bigger than what you already have.

Hi Arikie

Thanks for the input,

actually, I'm probably just not articulating myself well here.. what I will say is that one thing I've learned is the lesson other's have, and that is, when you want a very specific item, only go to the original source. I could have used VC, I didn't decide on my local jeweler for any reason other than I wanted to spend my money locally. I went in and said " can you make this ring", showed the VC emilya, he said yes, and that's where I think the problem lies. As many others have said before me, you simply can't do that. It doesn't work.

I'm in the process of remaking and as much as I'm trying hard to share specifics about the setting, ( single cuts, shallow u cut pave ( which it seems like my guy has never even heard of) it really seems like he's not getting it. I already got the speech about how " nobody does single cuts" and how my shank "can't " be 1.8mm because "that's not sturdy enough". I guess the shank in this previous ring was 2.5mm even though originally I had given him the 1.8mm specs.

So, all in all, I'm not expecting to be 100% happy with the finished product. The issue is I've already paid for it. I should actually get money back, bc I paid for a double halo ( the top and side) and now I'm doing just a straight round Emilya with the single halo- I thought keeping it more simple will make it more likely to get what I'm looking for- which is well made, elegant, and isn't 'chunky ' or clunky, which is how this last ring appreared.

I don't want the diamond to look bigger, in fact, the main reason I didn't like this last setting is it looked waaaayyyy too big- I felt like a little girl playing dress up. Its a 2ct RB, it doesn't need to look bigger- but the melee stones were about 3/4 of a point, and so the result was all of this puffy metal with little chips, and I'd rather see perfectly little round stones with NO visible metal.

I feel now that I should have gone to the source, VC, which ultimately I will end up doing. I already paid the jeweler, and since it's custom work and I never anticipated being unhappy with the finished product ( really dumb , I know) I didn't discuss a " what if" scenario, so basically I imagine I'm stuck. Don't get me wrong, it won't be hideous, but the lesson I learned is that when it comes to my ER, I want perfection, and I should not have gambled with that.

I've sent a fair number of emails to the jeweler ( and had before) but went up there the other day with my ipad and plenty of VC emilya glamor shots, showing very, very specific things, ( which I also verbally reiterated) like the prong style, the angle of the halo, the way the pave is set, shank width etc.

Today he called and seemed to want to debate the shank width, I insisted on 1.8mm. We also discussed the angle and the melee size for the halo ( .015, or 1.5 ptser) and so I expect that will be correct. What I don't feel confident about is the workmanship, because this will be a cast ring. So the biggest issue which is excessive metal, I worry about , but hey its out of my hands.

What I hope anyone reading this thread will gain from my mistakes is that, if you want what you want, get it from the best and don't gamble. Don't listen to someone that says " oh sure I can do that' bc their interpretation is almost totally subjective.

I hope I like it well enough to wear it until I can afford to upgrade, I'll either sell the setting or sell the whole ring , and upgrade to a VC emilya with an OEC stone which would be my ultimate. I'll post finished product when I get it, as always thanks for the input and thoughts.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry your dream ring turned out to be such a hassle for you. I think your ring is pretty but it certainly didn't turn out how you wanted. I hope the remade setting is more to your liking but if it's not I'd sell it and put that money towards the setting you really like. Sadly as so many have pointed out going custom often doesn't turn out as we hoped.

cluelessupgrade

Rough_Rock
I just want to chime in and tell you I feel your pain! I am going through a similar experience. I also recently had a ring "semi" custom made by a local jeweler using CAD, though it wasn't hand-made. This was an upgrade using my existing 3 stones in my engagement ring and turning it into a 5-stone that did not turn out like I expected. The local jeweler has worked with me to try to fix it, but I'm still not happy with the way it looks because it's so different than what I wanted. I also have a separate issue that I'm not happy with the clarity of my center stone. I've asked if I can simply return the center stone for a refund and am waiting to hear. I plan to have another setting made eventually but am not sure when. If the center stone is refunded, then I'll do it all in the near future, but if not, I'll wait a bit. I know firsthand how frustrating and disappointing it is not to have it turn out the way you want. FWIW, I have a quote from VC for making me a new setting (if I buy the center stone from them) and am going to consider that when I see where I am with the refund here locally. I hope everything works out for you. I know it's not much consolation when the ring is not to your satisfaction (which is all that really matters) and the experts here have pointed out how it could be better, but, as a layperson, I think it's drop dead gorgeous and would only be staring at how beautiful it is and never know the difference on these other details. :love:

violetjane

Rough_Rock
cluelessupgrade|1453915318|3982405 said:
I just want to chime in and tell you I feel your pain! I am going through a similar experience. I also recently had a ring "semi" custom made by a local jeweler using CAD, though it wasn't hand-made. This was an upgrade using my existing 3 stones in my engagement ring and turning it into a 5-stone that did not turn out like I expected. The local jeweler has worked with me to try to fix it, but I'm still not happy with the way it looks because it's so different than what I wanted. I also have a separate issue that I'm not happy with the clarity of my center stone. I've asked if I can simply return the center stone for a refund and am waiting to hear. I plan to have another setting made eventually but am not sure when. If the center stone is refunded, then I'll do it all in the near future, but if not, I'll wait a bit. I know firsthand how frustrating and disappointing it is not to have it turn out the way you want. FWIW, I have a quote from VC for making me a new setting (if I buy the center stone from them) and am going to consider that when I see where I am with the refund here locally. I hope everything works out for you. I know it's not much consolation when the ring is not to your satisfaction (which is all that really matters) and the experts here have pointed out how it could be better, but, as a layperson, I think it's drop dead gorgeous and would only be staring at how beautiful it is and never know the difference on these other details. :love:

how sweet of you to say that, thank you :D

Its funny, I think we all have a tendency to feel as if we're being " too picky" and I honestly don't think any of us should feel that way- I feel that if you go to a jeweler and ask for a specific thing, and you give them specs and pictures and do your best to communicate what you want, and don't want, and they don't deliver, that's not on the customer. It's one thing if you aren't very clear or directive but its another if you are.

At this point what bothers me the most about the experience is that there are elements of the conversation in which the jeweler is not trying to deliver the product I want, bc he's inserting HIS opinions- what size the shank should be, despite my request, the metal ( he wont do 10% iridium, on 5) etc. I SO wish I'd made it clear I wouldn't pay for the product until it was exactly what I wanted, but I felt as if I had to pay for it, which is my fault.

The point Is less that its pretty or not, more about how a customer and service provider come to an understanding about what the 's expectation is and what happens if its not met, or what burden does the customer have to make sure we get our expectation across clearly. I know its probably difficult from the jewelers end too.

I honestly found a pretty good round halo, very similar to the Emilya ( although not quite as perfect ) by Yoni. Looks very clean and elegant, and for a very reasonable price. SO when I see a halo like that, I think, what is so hard about getting a clean looking halo that doesn't look junked up with prongs and metal?

At the end of the day, I know this is definitely a first world problem. I'm not going to cause a big stink and I'll end up paying pretty close to what the VC would cost ( actually, maybe more) because I just didn't do my homework, and I was a bit too trusting. I should have read more of my fellow scopers advice ( plenty of it) and not left it to chance. I continue though to stay hopeful that the ring turns out pretty and wearable and in the future I will NEVER buy another piece of 'real' jewelry from anyone but VC or one of the PS masters, unless its vintage.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He might be hassling you about a thicker shank size than you want because some rings that are thinner made by some jewellers are more likely to bend, or break so they will not make them thinner.

I think I would still be having the conversation with him that you feel he cannot deliver what you originally expected (or what you expect now for that matter) and ask for a partial refund of most of the money and either lose a deposit or a partial refund of most of the money and a credit for the deposit towards something else.

And either take the stone to Victor to make a halo (which I reiterate again you will not be able to tell him melee sizes or shank sizes, he doesn't work that way) or to Steven Kirsch.

violetjane

Rough_Rock
arkieb1|1453934504|3982610 said:
He might be hassling you about a thicker shank size than you want because some rings that are thinner made by some jewellers are more likely to bend, or break so they will not make them thinner.

I think I would still be having the conversation with him that you feel he cannot deliver what you originally expected (or what you expect now for that matter) and ask for a partial refund of most of the money and either lose a deposit or a partial refund of most of the money and a credit for the deposit towards something else.

And either take the stone to Victor to make a halo (which I reiterate again you will not be able to tell him melee sizes or shank sizes, he doesn't work that way) or to Steven Kirsch.

I completely agree. At this point I'd be happy to lose me deposit, which would be about 600 or so i think, and get a full refund on the rest. The thing about working with VC is that I can already see by everyone's feedback here re: working with him, one of the great things is you don't really have to say anything- he just knows. So frustrating to have to say over and over what I don't like about something like excess metal and prongs- I say cutdown pave, I get 4 prongs on every melee stone- wth? The disconnect is just weird.

I agree with you too on the shank 'disagreement' ( again, why , when I'm commissioning a custom piece, do I get pushback on a specific aspect like that?) so we'll see what happens with that. He did say he's going to show me the wax cast , and I will ask about the shank measurement. Previously it was 2.5 and it was too big in relation to the setting, in fact the whole ring was just too big, too clunky, too "grande dame cocktail ring-y" for me.

Interesting process, we shall see lol.

oh! also wanted to share that I did offer to pay for the labor on the previous setting and call it quits, if he didnt feel he could reproduce the ring or give me the ring i want- he said, I could do that but would really like you to be happy with what i make so i can give this another try- which i thought was very nice, although now maybe he's regretting it lol. I think if he's way way way off the mark with setting number 2 I'm going to ask for something like that.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep in mind that the wax will still be thicker than the actual ring will turn out due to polishing. They have to add some extra metal in there or else they'd polish it all away.

I don't think this is going to turn out like you are wanting, but I hope it does.

violetjane

Rough_Rock
Hello all

Just a quick update, STILL waiting for the finished product of the redo on this ring. For anyone following bc they are considering a custom setting with a local jeweler vs one of the big names here , as I did ( bad decision as it was) , that's why I'm following through till the end- hopefully to provide some insight to others who might be trying to make a similar decision.

Brief overview:

So I initially put my request in to my local guy for a setting to copy a lovely V Canera halo setting, cushion halo for a RB diamond. It was based on a PS user's beautiful custom setting VC did for her that features a side halo as well ( her user is twosanguinehearts if you want to search.)

Cut to 3 weeks later, after I provided the most explicit detail, pictures, and a youtube video of the setting, the result was proabbly what some people would find attractive but wasn't a thing like the VC ring and I hated it- everything VC isn't- too big, too much metal, etc etc. All in previous posts including pics.

I told jeweler I'd pay for his labor if he would buy the setting back, I figured taking maybe a1K loss would be preferable than living with an ER I didn't like at all, and honestly, it was SO far from what I'd asked for and what he said he could copy, I didn't feel hopeful about a redo.

BUT, he really wanted to try the redo so I'd be happy. I decided to just ask for a much simpler round Emilya halo, flush fit stems (I asked for flush fit stems the first time around and got a donut,) and to eliminate the second row of diamonds around the side, which I think ( hope) will GREATLY reduce the clunk and prongy look of metal, and will give me a nice, clean, pretty halo and elegant looking ring.

Met with him 3 weeks ago to be even MORE specific about specs- so, differences i'm waiting to see are..

the first shank was 2.5 mm wide, way too big for a delicate looking ring and too big for my 2ct RB, so I requested a 1.8mm shank, which he kind of balked at ( too narrow, worried would bend) and I told him 1.8mm to 2.0 MAX, but to try and keep it 1.9 or below,

first setting, no angle on the halo. Asked for the standard 25 degree angle, with the diamond set perfectly into the halo so the girdle and halo are seamless. Last time the girdle was a good 2-3 mm above the halo , which I dislike. I gave him a great profile pic that should leave no doubts as to how to set it.

flush stems- he got that correct this time, i went in to see the wax cast and that looks fine.

the pave- whoa. First piece was so busy with whatever kind of pave he used, either french or fishtail but it was not clean and elegant like the VC. So I showed several pics of the shallow u-cut and how I hate the look of prongs and bead set pave, so that's a change I'm hoping to see. Tried to explain that you want to see no metal from top down.

Last, the main prongs. Oh, dear god, were they not my bag- huge, thick, sticking straight up. I was like the the opposite of the original design I showed. I pointed out the nice, elegant, delicate eagle claw prongs that hug the stone rather than stick up and he gets that.

So I was expecting it this week ( about 4-5 weeks after our meeting to discuss redesign) and apparently its still not done. Knowing VC has a turnaround of 10 days, I feel 6 weeks is kind of long, but whatever.

So next week I should have it ( if I decide to keep ) and will post pics if I do.

takeaway for now- if you come to PS to look for ER ideas or a reset, my absolute, unqualified advice is do whatever you have to to go with one of the masters- VC, SK, LM, and I've seen other designers with beautiful work like Lauren B and a few others. But as I now have close to a master's degree in ring-stalking, if I could go back in time in a nano second I'd order my ring from VC, and fankly no matter what happens with THIS ring, I will have wait for my 'dream' ring which I will get from Victor. This stone was in my family, but my someday ring will be an Old Euro cut or a transitional cut of closer to 3ct, and I'm going to get either an Emilya or an Anne Marie split shank halo and let Victor decide on particulars bc he truly is incomparable.

My reasoning was not to save money, as this setting will actually cost me MORE than the VC emilya ( I know, it pains me to even type that) but bc I was nervous to work with someone across the country and not be able to meet in person. Had I done all my homework then, I'd have been 100% confident in getting a ring i loved , even sight unseen. Ironically, I know even if I like my setting it will not be a VC. Oh well, 20/20 hindsight.

So I just wanted to continue to share my journey here to help someone still making decisions and I hope to have a ring next week that's enough to wear for now until I can get the ultimate dream ring from Victor in a few years :)

If for some reason this new setting is not acceptable, I'll have to see what this guy is willing to do, which at the least i hope is to refund at least all of my money minus the deposit ( 20%) and in that case i'll gladly send my 2ct RB to LA and get the ring I want. Losing a thousand bucks to get the right setting seems like a bargain at this point.

anyway, will post next week. :)

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
I really admire your willingness to put all this painful stuff out there so that someone else can be saved that same pain. This idea--"as long as I have a picture of what I want it will be ok--" is so understandable and so common. It's good to have as many examples as possible on this board so others will take the best path first, and end up loving their ring. Cheers! Hope what you get is awesome in the end, after the blood, sweat, and tears (and cash) you've put into it.

violetjane

Rough_Rock
img_1649.jpg

img_1650.jpg

img_1651.jpg

img_1653.jpg

img_1658.jpg

ring_36.jpg

Well I'm so glad I went forward with the remake of the first setting, bc I LOVE how this turned out. They did a beautiful job once i was specific enough, and I know now that one thing you should ever do is assume that you can show someone a picture and expect they'll replicate it without giving more detail. The ring is so lovely, and I can find no fault with it at all. I absolutely will have my Victor Canera one day, and will either replace the stone here with a gem and sell the diamond or sell the whole ring, but for now until I find my old Euro or Transitional cut for the VC , this will do JUST fine :angel:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so glad to see this update and hear that you are happy with the remake Violetjane! Great to see that the jeweler addressed all your concerns and was able to make a ring you love - it looks well made and really beautiful on your hand! :appl:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! I love this new version--I am so happy for you that the jeweler was able to fix your concerns. I have to admit I was somewhat doubtful after following this thread, but the outcome is gorgeous! :wavey:

edited to clarify: I did/do think the original was a beautiful ring, but was quite different from what you asked for. So I never doubted you'd have a great ring, but was doubtful that the jeweler could execute something in line with your vision.

violetjane

Rough_Rock
Thank you both! I will be the first to say, I was not at all hopeful- in fact, I actually had a nit are a couple nights ago, that I went to pick it up and it was all wrong, I was very anxious, not wanting things to maybe get uncomfortable with the jeweler etc , I live in a small town.

The prongs are SOOO much better, the pave set isn't perfect the way victors is perfect but it's damn close. The shank to halo ratio is great, and it looks big and bling you but not TOO big and blingy, another concern of mine. For me there's a size that rides the fine line of eye popping yet still elegant.

I hope anyone who comes across this thread finds some of what I went through helpful- for I went back I think I'd still just go to the jeweler whose work I loved the best- I'm glad I make it a priority to shop locally but an ER ring custom setting is too important to leave to chance as I now know, I just got lucky. I have a few more pics :)

violetjane

Rough_Rock
and a BIG thank you to all of you who took the time to comment and give thoughts and feedback, I sincerely appreciate it :)

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow huge difference!! They did a wonderful job second time around. Very pretty! Enjoy your ring.
I just love a happy ending! :dance:

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Yayy! It's beautiful after all of the hassle! Claw prongs are.much better! Looks great! Sheww! Your posts will help others. Thank you for sharing....now ENJOY :)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great outcome. Congrats with your remade ring. You showed so much patience and perseverance and it was worth it!!

sassy_pants

Rough_Rock
It's a gorgeous ring! Congrats! But the most important part is that you are really happy with how it turned out.

I really appreciate you sharing this story, even though it did open you up to lots of criticism, I think you handled it with such grace. It was very generous of you to share this experience as a cautionary tale for the rest of us. I'm just starting on a custom reset of my engagement ring now, and I before reading this I will admit I was briefly tempted to go with someone local, just for the convenience factor. But this really helped me make what I'm sure will be a smarter (and surprisingly less expensive) choice of going with a PS-approved vendor.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results