shape
carat
color
clarity

What spacer do I need to not leave a gap?

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve read all the threads on spacer rings but couldn’t find the answer I need. I ordered a few silver rings to try out before ordering a real band but I kept seeing a gap between my ring and the spacer. My setting is really low and the band has a very thin knife edge that tapered towards the center stone. I’m hoping PSers here could help me with these questions:

1. What kind of spacer do I need so that it won’t leave a big gap between my ring and the spacer? See pics below. May be I need one with an open space in the middle? Will it slide left and right?

D1EE43E5-7337-4C63-8F67-1DA6E182DF4D.jpeg

222CF317-125C-40FC-A14F-EDE3899685AC.jpeg

E930BE7A-174F-442A-8288-65331EA579DD.jpeg
2. If I’m using a diamond band that is set in a chanel or bezel setting, would I still need a spacer? Something like these carre and marquise bands below. Not sure if the milligree will scratch the prongs? I’m aware that it’ll still leave a big gap but I’d thought a plain band spacer would fill the gap but it didn’t seem to do that as in pic 1 (it’s probably too wide as well).

1DCE1C68-F906-46EF-A06C-2AC073A6C9A1.jpeg
CF777398-0864-47F2-A91A-5FE14969F19C.jpeg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A spacer like this would allow for no gap. If your diamond band is bezeled or channel set, you wouldn't need a spacer to protect the e-ring prongs, but as you said, there will still be a gap.

Attachments

• spacer.jpg
    spacer.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 74

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
A spacer like this would allow for no gap. If your diamond band is bezeled or channel set, you wouldn't need a spacer to protect the e-ring prongs, but as you said, there will still be a gap.

Thank you, @Kim N! I’m going to look for one and see if it‘ll help. My ring fits rather snug so I‘d like to avoid too many bands as it pushes my ring up to the fleshy part of my finger. I can always wear this rounded one on its own with my ring if it fits. And then wear the diamond band with my ring and live with the gap.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have your jeweler make a custom spacer, basically a traditional band that has a notch on one side but flat on the other. Having it custom made ensures that the notch fits your e-ring perfectly.

Here is a pic of my old set. Victor Canera made the ering setting and then made the spacer to match.
1619150637171.png
1619150606431.png

1619150574135.png

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
Have your jeweler make a custom spacer, basically a traditional band that has a notch on one side but flat on the other. Having it custom made ensures that the notch fits your e-ring perfectly.

Here is a pic of my old set. Victor Canera made the ering setting and then made the spacer to match.
1619150637171.png
1619150606431.png

1619150574135.png

Thank you, @LLJsmom! This makes perfect sense. I’ll have to wait until after the lock down as all the stores except grocery stores, pharmacies, etc. are closed right now. Btw, your VC ring is gorgeous!

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
Oops! I feel rather silly now. I was checking the basket width when I noticed that the base of my shank is quite wide, around 3mm. No wonder any band I tried always leave a huge gap. So I guess it’s either a custom band when the stores reopen or live with the gap. Thanks again, everyone! Truly appreciate your input.

910C3A25-30D4-40CC-90F7-A5F1F9F01AB8.jpeg

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
Oops! I feel rather silly now. I was checking the basket width when I noticed that the base of my shank is quite wide, around 3mm. No wonder any band I tried always leave a huge gap. So I guess it’s either a custom band when the stores reopen or live with the gap. Thanks again, everyone! Truly appreciate your input.

910C3A25-30D4-40CC-90F7-A5F1F9F01AB8.jpeg

It’s the basket that’s causing the bands to stick out so far because of the way it’s recessed into the shank. It sits out further than the band FC1263BF-1F1B-4E05-871C-BC883331E496.jpeg

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
It’s the basket that’s causing the bands to stick out so far because of the way it’s recessed into the shank. It sits out further than the band FC1263BF-1F1B-4E05-871C-BC883331E496.jpeg

You’re absolutely right, @Txborn79. I just tried a plain band on and can now see the top part next to the basket gets pushed out at an angle leaving nearly 2 mm gap. It’s also worrisome that a diamond band would rub the basket. Overall, it doesn’t look too bad with a gap. I was just hoping for it to sit flushed with my ring so it looks more seamless. I guess I’ll have to go the custom route although I’m really liking the look of a carre diamond band.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A band with a notch in it won’t eliminate a gap if you’re wearing it with a pave band it’ll just move the gap to between the spacer and the band.
you would need a band with a cut out the width of your basket.
The gap is what makes a ring look lux if just leave it.
if it- buy a ring with a cut out

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
A band with a notch in it won’t eliminate a gap if you’re wearing it with a pave band it’ll just move the gap to between the spacer and the band.
you would need a band with a cut out the width of your basket.
The gap is what makes a ring look lux if just leave it.
if it- buy a ring with a cut out

Thanks, @Niel! I really like this band. The gap is bigger and with nice diamond size. I think it’ll still leave a bit of a gap which I’m coming to accept and not mind too much. I find the planning stage is so much harder then after having and wearing the ring for a while I kinda forget it’s there (unless it’s uncomfortable).

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
If I pair my ring with a tiny diamond pave band (about .25 ct, ~1.25mm), will the diamonds be small enough that they won’t ‘eat’ into the prongs of my ring or do I still need a spacer? I’m getting a thin pave band to pair with another halo ring and it seems unobstrusive enough for this ring until I can see my jeweller for other options (or get a carre band). Similar to this one in CZ silver.

D7664536-752A-4BDB-A34B-555E00A0B061.jpeg

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
With any band that is sitting close to the basket/ gallery type of engagement ring, i think it will be either the diamonds/ prongs or the height of the metals rubbing together that will cause the basket to wear over time.

So, the only way i can think of to avoid the space is to get custom made band. and if you have to have diamonds on that band, i would have it set on either side of the curvature of the band (to curve around the basket). that way the diamonds do not come into contact with the basket setting.

I don't have access to my phone to draw on the pictures posted, to show what i mean, but am hoping that makes sense.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock

1619150637171.png
1619150606431.png

1619150574135.png

this is the band that i am talking about- have it custom made and then have diamonds on that 'spacer/wedding band' and have the diamonds on either side of that curvature.

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
this is the band that i am talking about- have it custom made and then have diamonds on that 'spacer/wedding band' and have the diamonds on either side of that curvature.

Thank you, @gregchang35. ThIs makes sense to me. Essentially get a band custom made with the curvature and then decide if it should be plain or with diamonds. I’ll have to wait until I can see a jeweller in person to find out more. Our lock down is in effect until May 20th and not sure if it’ll be extended. I guess for now if I want something to use right away, I’ll look into bands with a channel setting so it won’t rub the prongs and live with the gap. I’m just more concerned about damaging the prongs at this point.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
you have to also consider that with a channel setting, the metal (even with the same metal as your ering), the edge of the channel setting will rub against the metal of the basket setting of the ering.

wear and tear will occur to the basket setting of hte ering over time.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry to say it but the e-ring setting is the problem. Some e-ring settings have a base or doughnut at the bottom before the prongs start, and the wedding band won't rub the prongs. I don't think you'll solve the problem unless you either don't wear a band with it or change the e-ring setting.

Here's an example of what I mean having a base so the wedding band doesn't rub the prongs (plus the rings sit closer together).

IMG_0667.JPG

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
I am sorry to say it but the e-ring setting is the problem. Some e-ring settings have a base or doughnut at the bottom before the prongs start, and the wedding band won't rub the prongs. I don't think you'll solve the problem unless you either don't wear a band with it or change the e-ring setting.

Here's an example of what I mean having a base so the wedding band doesn't rub the prongs (plus the rings sit closer together).

IMG_0667.JPG

I’m slowly coming to realize that. :(2 The ring’s base has no donut and the prongs start right from the bottom. The ring has sentimental value to me. My dad gifted my mom with this ring on their 5th anniversary so I don’t want to change the setting although I thought about it over the years. I just find the ring’s band way too thin for my liking and makes the diamond looks like it’s just floating on my finger so I haven’t really worn it and kept it in the safe over the years. I’m trying to get around resetting it by adding a band to add a bit of bulk so to speak but don’t want to damage the prongs. I do have my own e-rings and other rings that I rotate but would like to wear this ring at times.

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
you have to also consider that with a channel setting, the metal (even with the same metal as your ering), the edge of the channel setting will rub against the metal of the basket setting of the ering.

wear and tear will occur to the basket setting of hte ering over time.

That is a bummer. I either have to learn to live with it on its own and wait until I can get a custom band. I was really hoping either the band with an open space in the middle like the one Niel suggested or a bezel set band would work. Sigh.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
anything can work, i guess, you have to go in it with eyes wide open.
once you know what to expect you can then re-assess your expectations of what can be.

for what it is worth, i think the sentimental value of the ring/ setting can work with the custom made band and have diamonds on either side of the curvature. there is nothing, and i mean nothing that when 2 rings are placed side by side, that it won't abrade/ wear away over time. depending on the design, some areas will abrade more than others. microscopically or macroscopically.

in your case, you wnat the wear to be as even as possible. and i think the above situation with the custom band will work the best.

just think of this scenario.
if you have 2 same stones- just pick 2 from the road. and you rub them together for about 5mins... there will be stone dust that is created. that is the wear that you will get.

Recall seeing the scenic picutres from the movie The Beach(?) starring leonardo di caprio. the infamous elephant looking structure ny the lagoon/ bay?. water created that gap...

wear and tear is going to occur, you just wnat the minimal amount of wear.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I pair my ring with a tiny diamond pave band (about .25 ct, ~1.25mm), will the diamonds be small enough that they won’t ‘eat’ into the prongs of my ring or do I still need a spacer? I’m getting a thin pave band to pair with another halo ring and it seems unobstrusive enough for this ring until I can see my jeweller for other options (or get a carre band). Similar to this one in CZ silver.

D7664536-752A-4BDB-A34B-555E00A0B061.jpeg
Looking at the picture, a delicate band like this wouldn’t eat your prongs super fast. You can keep an eye on it and inspect it regularly. Also if it did eat them, you wouldn’t lose a prong immediately since there’s a bridging piece in the gallery.
FWIW I love the gap especially with a contrasting band like engraved YG or plain. It makes the stone stand out beautifully.

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
anything can work, i guess, you have to go in it with eyes wide open.
once you know what to expect you can then re-assess your expectations of what can be.

for what it is worth, i think the sentimental value of the ring/ setting can work with the custom made band and have diamonds on either side of the curvature. there is nothing, and i mean nothing that when 2 rings are placed side by side, that it won't abrade/ wear away over time. depending on the design, some areas will abrade more than others. microscopically or macroscopically.

in your case, you wnat the wear to be as even as possible. and i think the above situation with the custom band will work the best.

just think of this scenario.
if you have 2 same stones- just pick 2 from the road. and you rub them together for about 5mins... there will be stone dust that is created. that is the wear that you will get.

Recall seeing the scenic picutres from the movie The Beach(?) starring leonardo di caprio. the infamous elephant looking structure ny the lagoon/ bay?. water created that gap...

wear and tear is going to occur, you just wnat the minimal amount of wear.
That elephant thing is just not the look I was going for. Lol. I know what you mean though and appreciate the input. When I tried rubbing the various bands along the prongs of the ering, some I could really feel the abrasion so I’ll try to stay clear from that type.

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
Looking at the picture, a delicate band like this wouldn’t eat your prongs super fast. You can keep an eye on it and inspect it regularly. Also if it did eat them, you wouldn’t lose a prong immediately since there’s a bridging piece in the gallery.
FWIW I love the gap especially with a contrasting band like engraved YG or plain. It makes the stone stand out beautifully

Thanks, @foxinsox! I think the engraved band or a thinner 1.5 mm plain band may work. The plain one I tried on is 2 mm and very shiny. It seems to distract from the main ring and makes the gap appears bigger. Btw, your pugs look so adorable in your avatar.

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
So I tried pairing the ring with one of my mom’s diamond hoop earrings that I occasionally wear as rings since they’re too big for my ears. The side metal of the earring goes up high enough that the small diamonds in the earring don’t see-saw on the prongs of the e-ring at all. It feels smooth like the plain band. I find it’s a bit wide though, ~2.5mm.

Does anyone know what this setting is called? It looks like a pave but doesn’t have prongs and there are thin horizontal bars between each diamond. At this width, it pushes the e-ring too far up my finger and makes it too snug. I don’t know if I can get my mom’s ring re-sized bigger because there’s this line that runs down the middle of the shank. Don’t want to ruin the shank in the process. I may get a custom band with diamonds but in a similar setting as this earring.

3CF60E3C-90D5-45E9-940F-2F4E65186177.jpeg

B40DE095-1114-47AA-9EB3-87D71314CC33.jpeg
BDB1584C-8C3E-4C93-AB2C-22728BC1CC03.jpeg

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
That looks like a channel setting with bead set diamonds. It’s quite good! A lower channel would displace your ering less and still keep the prongs safe.
There’s one for sale on the Preloved forum atm - I don’t know your size sorry. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/art-deco-platinum-diamond-band.264535/

Thank you very much, @foxinsox! I often wondered what the setting is. Need to look up bead set technique. Learn something new here all the time. =)2 I did see the Art Deco band in your link. It’s a tad too small for me. I’m about 6.75 and can do 6.5 if the band isn’t too wide. I have my eye on this carre cut eternity band at Leslielsc but it’s 3mm wide which would definitely push my mom’s ring out way too far on my finger. I’m currently browsing Ivy & Rose site. I came across their name on another thread.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results