shape
carat
color
clarity

What size difference can you visibly see?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Just wondering -- I''m sure this has been brought up before but I couldn''t seem to find a thread on it when I did a search...

What size difference, in mm, is visible to the naked eye? 0.5mm or more? I am actually considering two diamonds (yes I am!) one is 5.85mm and the other 5.99 - 6.01mm and was wondering if there would be a huge difference in size. They are both ideal cut rounds, with the 5.99-6.01mm one being a super ideal cut branded stone.

Since these are from an internet vendor I cannot compare them side to side.

Thanks!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Side by side you may just see the difference. If you were shown 1, then it was taken away and you were shown the other - then no way could you tell.

If you can post ideal-scope photo''s I can indicate if the smaller one might look bigger because of edge to edge brilliance effect that is discussed here
http://diamonds.pricescope.com/carat.asp

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Garry --

Thanks for responding.

I am not the best at Photoshop so we''ll see if these come out.

I ran both diamonds through the HCA and the first one (5.85mm) comes out a 1.7 where the second one (5.99-6.01) comes out a 1.2.

The two I am considering are these:

Shape: Round Ideal Cut (1st one)
Carat: 0.724
Color: J
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 60.5
Table: 54
Crown Angle: 34.8
Crown %: 15.8
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
Pavilion %: 42.9
Girdle: Thin
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 5.85-5.87X3.55

and this:

A Cut Above H&A (2nd one)
Carat: 0.778
Color: I
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 60
Table: 56
Crown Angle: 34.7
Crown %: 14.9
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
Pavilion %: 42.9
Girdle: Thin-Medium Faceted
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 5.99-6.01X3.60

All information is courtesy of Whiteflash.

Here''s the IS images:
1st one

IS_AGS-5820203.jpg

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
IS image for the 2nd diamond (the 0.778ct I/SI1 - the bigger one)

IS_AGS-5820206.jpg

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
My vote is for the second one.

It''s true that you''d be able to see the larger size if both stones were next to each other......and likely not if you saw one on the hand and then the other.

There IS a .15 mm difference here.....and that''s not a bad diff.

It really comes down to the pricing. The smaller stone is a J, the larger one an I, so if they are fairly closely priced, you get a slightly larger stone and 1 color grade better on the larger stone.

Also, the numbers on stone 2 look BEAUTIFUL.....and it bears out in the IS image. Either is a nice selection....it''s nice to know you can''t choose wrongly.

drk

Brilliant_Rock
If it helps, I could see the difference between a 6.92mm and a 6.8mm stone when we were searching for my diamond. I think when I was searching the threads, the general concensus was that most people can see a 0.2mm difference in diameter.
Personally, I like the first stone''s IS a little more. The dark areas between the arrowheads are a bit bigger, and there are more little hot spots between the arrow shafts. Just my non-expert opinion though - I''m sure both stones are beautiful! Maybe you could get Brian to look at them both side-by side for you and tell you which he thinks is more beautiful/sparkly/clean/white face-up? Is there much of a price difference between the two? Budget was a big consideration for us.
Some people seem to prefer the faceted girdle the second stone has over the first stone''s bruted girdle, if that makes any difference to you.
Good luck with the search!
Drk

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
Al -- the J stone is $800 less expensive than the I stone -- considerable to me. Also the J is a non-branded ideal cut where the I is ACA. I''m just not sure if the ACA is worth the extra $800, although it will look bigger. I''m leaning toward the ACA stone. The J scored Excellent on light return and Very Good on fire, scintillation and spread, and the I scored Excellent on all parameters on the HCA.

bstraszheim

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Jellybean,

Since the diamonds are from Whiteflash, I would ask them for their opinion. When choosing my pendant diamond, I had one stone from Expert Selection and one ACA and Bob was very honest with me, said he couldn''t see a difference, I got a diamond I adore and saved $100. It''s beautiful. They will possibly pull both stones, take a picture of them side by side and that may help you make up your mind. Also ask which looks better in their opinion. They sure know diamonds : )

I wish you well,

Bridget

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results