shape
carat
color
clarity

What should I do with this (too?) big solitaire?

crazydoglady

Rough_Rock
I know this is a subjective/personal issue with no right answer, and I also know it sounds like an obnoxious humble brag, but I am stressed and confused and could use some honest opinions. I was just given a large (at least to me it seems monstrous, but to you all on here it probably doesn't) diamond solitaire ring from a family member. Yay, right? But it is much larger than I realized before I asked for it--I didn't realize it would be so much bigger than my engagement ring. Years ago it was offered to me to use as my e-ring, but I didn't want it. I thought it was too big, didn't seem like me, and it comes from a divorce, which at the time I felt weird about. I absolutely love the e-ring that I did get, it is dainty and an antique, which suits my personality very well. Having my e-ring is what made me realize I actually do like diamonds a lot. So now that I was given the solitaire, I do want to wear it, but the question is how.

If I wear it on my right hand, is that totally bizarre because it's a solitaire? Is it bad because it is much larger than my engagement ring? I don't want to diminish the appearance of my engagement ring. I also don't know if people will think it's fake since it's not on my left hand and is bigger than my engagement ring.

The other option is to wear it on my left hand with my wedding band and wear my engagement ring on my right hand. I love the side profile of my engagement ring alone, but not the side profile of the solitaire. My husband has told me multiple times that it doesn't bother him if I don't wear my engagement ring (I wear my wedding band alone frequently), but I guess I still feel guilty if I do that. Also, I've been married less than a year, so I don't know if it will seem like I'm a super materialistic person "upgrading" in less than a year.

I know I'm overthinking it, but that's who I am. Any opinions would be lovely. I'll post a picture from my phone as a new comment, I don't have any pictures on my computer.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
We will need pictures of both to give you any sort of opinion

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can also turn it into a pendant, or change the setting if you don't love it. I was thinking a 3stone with some coloured sides, but that will just make it bigger :lol:

And yes, please photos!

crazydoglady

Rough_Rock
Here it is with my .75 7-stone wedding band

_35840.jpg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What does your e-ring look like? TBH I think that looks amazing.

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Yes see what you mean by people thinking its not real does it have an unusual facet pattern??

crazydoglady

Rough_Rock
Yes, it's a transitional/European cut

crazydoglady

Rough_Rock
Also it was insanely dirty in this picture, I should take a clean pic.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Make a pendant.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Lovely!

My advice is to have it recut into a MRB--it will be smaller but a sparkle bomb!

cheers--Sharon

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
It looks lovely with your wedding band, and is definitely not too big for your hand. Try it for a while and see if you get used to it - I bet you will!

crazydoglady

Rough_Rock
I actually prefer older cuts, and I think it is more sparkly than it looked in the first picture. That picture had literally years of crusted gunk underneath when it was sitting in a safety deposit box. It was the only picture I had, but I just took a new one on my middle finger, right hand to see what that would be like.

photo_dec_28__3_06_31_pm.jpg

crazydoglady

Rough_Rock
FightGravity|1451421863|3968015 said:
It looks lovely with your wedding band, and is definitely not too big for your hand. Try it for a while and see if you get used to it - I bet you will!

Considering I never even wanted this ring until I had other diamonds, I will probably continue going diamond crazy and end up thinking this is too tiny in a year :shifty:

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's awesome! I love it with your wedding band and I really dig the 6 prong setting. Start wearing it more and you will end up not thinking it is too big. :naughty:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crazydoglady|1451419096|3967987 said:
I know this is a subjective/personal issue with no right answer, and I also know it sounds like an obnoxious humble brag, but I am stressed and confused and could use some honest opinions. I was just given a large (at least to me it seems monstrous, but to you all on here it probably doesn't) diamond solitaire ring from a family member. Yay, right? But it is much larger than I realized before I asked for it--I didn't realize it would be so much bigger than my engagement ring. Years ago it was offered to me to use as my e-ring, but I didn't want it. I thought it was too big, didn't seem like me, and it comes from a divorce, which at the time I felt weird about. I absolutely love the e-ring that I did get, it is dainty and an antique, which suits my personality very well. Having my e-ring is what made me realize I actually do like diamonds a lot. So now that I was given the solitaire, I do want to wear it, but the question is how.

If I wear it on my right hand, is that totally bizarre because it's a solitaire? Is it bad because it is much larger than my engagement ring? I don't want to diminish the appearance of my engagement ring. I also don't know if people will think it's fake since it's not on my left hand and is bigger than my engagement ring.

The other option is to wear it on my left hand with my wedding band and wear my engagement ring on my right hand. I love the side profile of my engagement ring alone, but not the side profile of the solitaire. My husband has told me multiple times that it doesn't bother him if I don't wear my engagement ring (I wear my wedding band alone frequently), but I guess I still feel guilty if I do that. Also, I've been married less than a year, so I don't know if it will seem like I'm a super materialistic person "upgrading" in less than a year.

I know I'm overthinking it, but that's who I am. Any opinions would be lovely. I'll post a picture from my phone as a new comment, I don't have any pictures on my computer.

Just do what you like most.
Can't decide? Then flip a coin.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woohoo, it's gorgeous and definitely not too big :naughty: .

I vote wear it around for awhile and see how you like it. You have so many options: wear it on your left hand, your right hand, reset it, make a pendant, even a bangle if you wanted to get crazy with it.

crazydoglady

Rough_Rock
So you think it's fine to wear it on my right hand? I just wasn't sure if that was weird since it's a solitaire. I searched other topics about it, but it seemed like people who wear solitaires on their right hand have ones that are similar in size to their e-ring.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
It's really a matter of subjective opinion. I do feel it's a bit large for a right hand ring(RHR). Also being a solitaire makes it an awkward RHR. Again this is just my opinion and you should wear it however you see fit.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think it's weird. I mean to each her own right? The solitaire style is a little engagement ring-ish, but if you like the way it looks and it makes you happy then do it! A woman at my work wears her mother's old engagement ring on her right hand. It's a solitaire, and it looks so elegant. Every time I see it I think how beautiful it is. I don't think "Gosh that's weird she's wearing an engagement type solitaire ring on her right hand and nothing on her left." :))

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
I would totally rock that stone.. its gorgeous! A girl can never have too much bling...

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks very elegant!

crazydoglady

Rough_Rock
Wendylynne|1451430734|3968114 said:
I would totally rock that stone.. its gorgeous! A girl can never have too much bling...

Do you mean as a RHR or on my left hand? And thank you!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, that is gorgeous with your diamond band! I'd personally just have two engagement rings and wear each of them on different days (left hand) or wear the smaller engagement ring on the right hand. I think the large diamond looks fabulous as an e-ring! I do not like a solitaire as a right hand ring, so if you want to wear the large diamond on your right hand, just have it reset into an antique style setting that is not a solitaire. I would wear the large stone on the left, though. It's beautiful!

I will tell you that my original diamond was 1 ct and the one I currently wear (anniversary gift) is 2.3 cts and it still feels a little too big for me at times. So when I don't want to flaunt the large diamond for some reason, I usually wear a 5 stone diamond band that I have.

crazydoglady

Rough_Rock
solgen|1451427449|3968086 said:
It's really a matter of subjective opinion. I do feel it's a bit large for a right hand ring(RHR). Also being a solitaire makes it an awkward RHR. Again this is just my opinion and you should wear it however you see fit.

I totally know what you mean, those are the concerns that I had to begin with. I'm going to do what I think is best, regardless of what others think, but I would still like to be somewhat aware of what most people will think. I know nobody in person will tell me the truth, so I would like to know if I'm going to be rocking it as a RHR thinking it's a little out of the box when really its a huge huge no no. Do you know what I mean? Some things are just a little weird, some are way weird, but most friends won't tell you which is which.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW I think it's gorgeous and looks beautiful with your wedding band! I would try wearing it for a few days and see how you feel. I do not think it is too large--I think it fits nicely on your finger.

As for using it as a RHR, I think you should do whatever you want and not worry about what anyone else thinks :naughty: I have a solitaire that I love wearing as an RHR, and no one has ever said anything. If you like it and it makes you happy, go for it!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One more thought. Your dilemma is EXACTLY what has concerned me about my larger diamond and leaving it to one of my daughters. The older one is already married and has a diamond ring a little over a carat. I can't see her wearing a much larger diamond on her right hand than her engagement ring. Yet she says she wouldn't want to wear it instead of her engagement ring. That has caused me to consider selling it and just sticking with diamonds that are a little smaller.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd reset it lower or make a pendant out of it.. if you really don't care for it then you can sell it or put it back into your safe deposit box and go back to it in a few years... I like the idea of recutting, but if it is a transitional it may really rock when it's professionally cleaned.. lovely stone!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't wear a solitaire as an RHR, I would either re-set into something more suited to a RHR or design a nice pendant.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Keep it! Wear it! Please don't recut! Love the old style cuts! ( of course if you would hate the old cut then consider a recut). Lol!

IMO....you can have it very lowset setting made (as low as it can be set). Tekate suggested this and hit the nail on the head! I just had a two ct set extremely low and I think it subdues it a little bit as well as makes it comfortable for everyday wear.

If you do not want to wear it as an occasional engagement ring type thing, maybe put two colored stones beside it in the setting? Maybe? This way you can still enjoy it but it wouldn't look so engagement ish if you are not going to wear it as one from time to time.

If you sell it you'll never get your money's worth. Keep it in the family if you can. I personally don't think it's big but I do prefer larger, chunkier (sliver mostly) jewelry in general.

Good luck! Wow! Tough problem ;-) ;-)

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
crazydoglady|1451419867|3967994 said:
Here it is with my .75 7-stone wedding band

Maybe it's just me but I don't think it looks too outrageous!.....dwarfs my ring but in general? Knock out! Wow! Diamonds seem to magically shrink before your eyes as well :)

If you are not such a jewelry person nor have any daughter....etc....selling it of course is an options but.... :( ..

I know I will inherit a bunch of my moms jewelry and some of it I will be selling, so no judgement. And I AM a jewelry gal :) Sometimes it boils down to taste.

Good luck again! What a beautiful cut and I bet that sucker sparkles when you clean her up!

Low setting will be your best friend :).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results