shape
carat
color
clarity

What one most important thing do you do just for yourself?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wondering is there one thing you do just for yourself that is so important to you/for you that you plan on never compromising/stopping? What one thing do you always try to make the time to do just for you?
Whether it be an every day thing or weekly/monthly etc.

Is there one activity/task/thing in your life that is so critical for your well being that you do whatever you can to preserve it and continue doing it each day/week etc.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: What one most important thing do you do just for yoursel

I'm just now, at 41, just learning it's ok to do things for ME and not to always bend over backwards for everyone else, my kids, my husband etc. So..I kind of have been doing and trying new things the last couple years to see what I want for ME.

For my own betterment, I was in a stage play, singing and being on stage in front of 300 people, for eight nights. For someone who has a hard time going to the grocery store, I think that's pretty good. I am learning sign language. I am taking Taekwondo and am a low green, and I have every intention of getting my permanent black belt, scary and daunting as that is to me. She mentioned last night that she is hoping someone will take it over when she retires, maybe that will be me!

I am learning to have a "growth mindset" as opposed to a closed mindset. Thank you Trevor Ragan and Train Ugly.

Trying to empower myself.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Great thread. Congratulations on the self-growth, Packrat! My own thing is much less impressive. Looking back, something that has remained constant for me is buying jewelry. Whatever else is going on, I have continued to buy jewelry, even quite inexpensive pieces that have nonetheless given me great pleasure, and will continue to do so for many years. The pleasure of buying some jewelry never dissipates like a meal out or a massage, because I always have the piece of jewelry. It helps enormously that my attitude to my jewelry is democratic - I love it all equally, the inexpensive stuff as much as the high-end stuff! Otherwise my purse could never bear it. I have a wonderful collection of inexpensive but really pretty stuff from a rock and mineral store that I keep meaning to post. I treat myself from that store quite often, mostly with beautiful semi-precious gemstones and sterling silver for under $100.

So yeah. Through good times and bad, I have not given up buying jewelry. I wish I could say that I climb mountains or compose symphonies, but I love jewelry so much that I think acquiring it is something I'll never give up. I should probably slow down, though!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What is your thing, Missy? :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jambalaya said:
What is your thing, Missy? :)

Hi Jambalaya, thanks for asking. :bigsmile: I was going to share but just rushing around this morning. But in a nutshell exercise.

I always make time for some form of cardio activity and strength training whether it be my regimented elliptical workout and Pilates workout every morning or long distance outdoor cycling in the nicer weather.

During a typical morning I wake up enjoy my coffe and PS and then I do my 90 minute elliptical and Pilates workout. I need it and I make the time for it every single day. Even if it means waking before dawn which it usually does mean.

I would like to incorporate meditation into my day as well because I know how good it can be for the mind and soul and because of that ultimately our overall health and well being. I have not yet done this but hope to.

Exercising, doing physical activity, really helps quell my anxiety and quiet my mind and for me it is imperative I do this every day. So I make the time, Just for me. It makes me a better person for those who are around me and for those I share my life with so it is worth it all around.

Good for you packrat! You deserve to take care of you. And thanks for sharing.
Jambalaya, thanks for sharing too. Bling is good. :love:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I really admire your discipline and self-restraint when it comes to food and exercise, Missy. You've written on here before about it, and I've thought, "Wow, she's really got it sorted!" I wish I had your willpower. Many of us struggle with comfort-eating and other lifestyle challenges, and you really are a great example! It's almost as if you're a ballerina (they are famous for their discipline). You should be proud of the way you resist temptation (I think you wrote once that it had been years since you'd had fries) and make time to exercise. You'll probably live to be 100! :bigsmile:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Aww thank you jambalaya. You made me blush. That's very kind of you to say but I'm not all that and I have my own struggles. Believe me.

I agree yes I am disciplined but I feel I have to be. I am a person who feels things too strongly and has too much emotion IMO and working out and eating right helps tremendously. So I do it for my own salvation if you think about it like that. Add in some unfortunate health issues and it makes it that much more important.

I wish I could be one of those people who can eat anything they want and still be healthy. But I accept the reality of my genes and do the best I can with what I have. I appreciate your kind words though. Thank you.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Working out. 6/7 days a week on average. Run, classes, weights, yoga. Something, to rebalance and reset the brain. Need it.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium

LLJsmom|1455295770|3990202 said:
Working out. 6/7 days a week on average. Run, classes, weights, yoga. Something, to rebalance and reset the brain. Need it.

Another ballerina! Well done, LLJsmom! :D

Re. the above: You're welcome, Missy.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jambalaya|1455295917|3990203 said:
LLJsmom|1455295770|3990202 said:

Another ballerina! Well done, LLJsmom! :D

Re. the above: You're welcome, Missy.

Thanks Jambalaya. I do it also b/c I definitely don't eat like a ballerina. Food is my form of self-medication. Immediate stress=sweets. Prolonged stress=salt. Stress all day=sweet/salt/sweet/salt...

So exercising literally affects the chemistry of my brain. I NEED it so I don't go postal on my loved ones and so I don't eat anything not nailed down. :roll:

Q

Queenie60

I do my cross fit/circuit fit class every morning. This is a natural antidepressant for me. Because of all of the issues we are having with our young adult son - this is my way of keeping myself mentally balanced and it's good for my physical being as well! I also take very long walks with my two little dogs. I find that to be therapeutic as well - the area where I live is very beautiful and green, with lots of trees.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I read. Reading is my own form of zen meditation; the daily practice of reading serves to cultivate clarity and equanimity within my everyday life. When circumstances prevent me from reading for more than a day or two, I am out of sorts and not "me."

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I make it a point to put on perfume daily even though I'm home most of the time. Seems like a small thing but it sets the tone for the whole day. Currently I'm wearing Amazonian Wild Lily from The Body Shop.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock

I think it's so important to take the time to do something for yourself! We all need some self-care and me time.

I hate gyms and traditional forms of working out, but I am super into aerial arts and pole dance and consider those things how I work out. Aerials and pole are definitely the high priority things that I make sure I take the time to do. Depending on how busy I am, I don't always get to take as many classes as I'd like, but I try to average at least 2-6 classes a week or I use my home pole. I've never been a sport person or at all athletic...I was "skinny fat" most of my life, but I am definitely the strongest I've ever been now. I cannot imagine the rest of my life without aerials/pole!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

When I wake up I need two things, coffee and at least 30 minutes of alone-time ... to 'process'.
If I am denied either of these I can not function.

I'm like a computer.
We are both useless while we go through our boot-up processes. :lol:

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I spin yarn. Even if it's only for half an hour, sitting at my spinning wheel lets me relax completely.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock

I go to the gym about 5-6 days a week, and it is a must, like brushing my teeth. I just feel so energized afterwards, and go into work ready to take on the world. It is a physical and a mental necessity.

Another thing I do for myself is a 20 minute night-time routine including make-up removal, skin-cleansing, flossing, brushing, and whole skincare regimen. Even if I'm tired after a long night out, and it is late, I never skimp on the full routine.

My belief (which I'm passing to my daughter) is that if you are physically fit and have healthy glowing skin, you won't need to spend money on makeup or expensive clothes to look good.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Thinking about this, I also take 30 to 60 minutes a day to exercise. I do some running and swimming and a lot of strength training. I don't tend to think of this as time for me - just one more thing to be fitted in and endured in the day before i can get to the free time (since I loathe it). I think of it as as keeping myself strong and reasonably healthy to be there for my family in the long run. If I was on my own, I would never do that stuff. Maybe I should look at it as me time, though.Other people really seem to enjoy it and I do see it as important.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think sleep. (I don't have kids)

I know a few years ago, I was getting run off my feet. Basically ON from 6am-midnight, or later. I started to make it a priority to go to bed by 11pm every weeknight, and sleep in until 7am for work (excluding special early events). I used to feel pressure to wake up early, go in to work early, stay late, not go to bed too early. But now I'm fine with going to bed when I'm tired. Some days that is 9:30pm. Some days 10:15pm. I think this is one thing I would seriously suffer for if I started to slip back into old ways. I even take the occasional nap after work if I feel like it, and I don't even feel bad! :lol:

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock

kenny|1455305256|3990257 said:
When I wake up I need two things, coffee and at least 30 minutes of alone-time ... to 'process'.

I'm like a computer.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This. I need to have a large pot of tea{consumed in my favorite mug} and read the paper before I can face the day. Even if we get up at the same time we both just ignore each other until we are sufficiently caffeinated.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lift weights / exercise. But mostly the weight lifting - gotta preserve as much muscle as possible.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1455305256|3990257 said:

I'm like a computer.
This.

I don't really have to be alone...but please leave me alone. The gears move oh so slowly in the morning. I have NO idea what I would do if I had to bounce out of bed and function.

I wake up at 5:30 just for this reason. I have been known to wake up at 4:30 just to get my morning time.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I need to do more for myself. But I've discovered I need two major things. Alone time with a book. And that my surroundings really affect my mood.
So for me reading is key. I need alone time, and reading gives me that. I typically read 8 hours or more a week. Sometimes the best Friday nights are me reading while DH plays video games. It works for us.

I also, when I can afford it, spruce up the furnishings. Whether it's a new lamp shade or some Ikea pillow covers, I like to change things up a bit in the home and it gives me a nice feeling that things are updated. I actually just redecorated a couple rooms in my apartment on a Zero effective cost budget. I only spent what I earned on craigslist and ebay selling my old stuff. It was a lovely way to get an upgrade on my master bedroom and the guest bedroom furnishings without affecting the bank and it gave me a nice feeling of accomplishment since I had to paint out and update several pieces of furniture I was re-using. It was also helped along by generous Christmas presents from my mom and best friend who bought me the new bedding that would have otherwise been a budget buster.

Now when I look around those rooms I have a feeling pf pride and I feel loved. Not only did I get them updated, with the effective cost to us being nothing. But because my family and friends helped out I have the warm fuzzies from that too.

I have re-covering the dining room chairs on my list for the next project at home. But I will probably wait for really good deal on fabric for that.

One of the key things with redecorating is, I'm not happy, even if it is beautiful, if I pay too much. I pretty much have to get things on clearance, with a coupon on 20% off or more, or pre-owned on craigslist for a really good price to be happy with it. Ikea and thrift stores also help.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If I do not do things on my own, then I do not anything at all!

However, if I were to pick one that I enjoy doing on my own the most, then it has to be eating on my own at high end/gourmet restaurants.

DK :))

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow after reading some of the other responses it dawned on me that the MAJOR thing the ONE thing I could not do without yet comes so naturally to me I didn't even realize it...

Alone time.

And lots of it.

That is truly the one thing I couldn't function well without. I'd be miserable if I didn't have it.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Alone time for me too. I have three kids, a career in management, and I work a lot. I'm an introvert, so I recharge by being alone. I also vacation alone when I need a real break. I am literally sitting on a plane right now, waiting to take off. Alone time, here I come! :)

Anne

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

packrat|1455291352|3990170 said:
I am learning to have a "growth mindset" as opposed to a closed mindset.

I like that! :clap:

My "one thing" is quite simple. I am an early bird, usually waking up by 5 am every day without an alarm, it's just how I am wired. I always take the first hour of every day, and just "be". I sit on my deck, drink my coffee, take in the sunrise, peruse personal email, etc. I don't make breakfast, clean, work, nada. It might sound trivial, but I find that it is usually the ONLY hour I get in the day that is peaceful, no demands, no work BS, etc. I work from home, and found myself getting up, grabbing coffee, and jumping right into work, then found myself quite irritable by 10 am and downright bitchy by 5:00 when it was time to enjoy my evening. No more. My company gets 9-10 hours a day out of me and sometimes more, and my DD gets the rest (usually in and out during the day as well. And I can't be my best "me" for all of that if I don't take or make time for me.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Workout... It's my drug, my addiction. It's also what gives me peace of mind and a sense of accomplishment. I do my best "thinking" and decision making while working out. I love mani-pedis too...

Love this thread.

Q

Queenie60

I must add - I love to read. I read for a few hours each day. Today I am going for a body scrub and massage. More things for me! After 20 + years of taking care of our children, my husband and I are making a point of doing more things for ourselves. Many years of sacrifice and passing on the fun things because we had two children, one being very much of a challenge. :appl:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My me time is reading. I used to work 2 jobs one of which was teaching at a community college. Some days I worked from 7:30 am to 11:30 pm and I was becoming so stressed and frazzled I realized I had to do something every day just for me. So even if I went to bed later (I wasn't getting much sleep then either) I either read or knit for at least 10 minutes a day. It started calming me down immediately.

I haven't taught for about 3 years now so I have more spare time but I still try to read at least one chapter a day before going to bed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results