shape
carat
color
clarity

what name brand items do you own that would consider a status symbol?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
your cars? your jewelry? your handbags? your clothes? or ??

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
I hate the fact that certain things have status meaning to them, but living and working in NYC I do get it and have also fallen victim to it because you have to keep up the Joneses. For me it is my Cartier LOVE bracelet and necklace and some of my handbags. The funny thing is while I do have a bunch of designer bags I try to avoid the ones that have the brand all over them. I get something because I like it, not because of the name.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 4:17:27 AM
Author:Dancing Fire
your cars? your jewelry? your handbags? your clothes? or ??
None of the above. Some people would consider my laptop to be one (it''s a Mac), but I honestly just have it because I prefer the layout and the OS and stuff. *shrugs*
1.gif

If you''re talking beyond material items, then my grad school education at a fancypants uni (Cambridge) would count, methinks. But that''s all I''ve got--not real status here!
3.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Handbags.
16.gif

Car.
16.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
My Toyota Corolla
rotflmao2.gif

Hey I worked hard for that car! I went through years of eating kraft mac-n-cheese with hot dogs, bringing people coffee for my internship, and studying my rear off.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
None.

I own a hangbag I bought at TKMaxx (the English version of TJMaxx) and I later saw the brand in Harrods, but I can''t remember what brand it was. Most of the stuff I own is hand-me-downs, handmade, or bought from a regular high street shop. I can''t be bothered with brand names and status symbols.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 6:23:52 AM
Author: Steel
My home*:
I designed it (with input from DH) and even if I say so myself; it is drool-worthy (for rural ROI anyway
9.gif
)
30.gif
9.gif
30.gif
16.gif
30.gif
Pictures! Must see pictures!!!! :)

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
None. I don''t really own any "big brand name" stuff....

I am my OWN status symbol!
9.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would say my watch, handbags and shoes. However, the bags I like don't have huge logos on them so most people probably don't know what they are. Same goes for the shoes. And my ring isn't a brand name (it's by Whiteflash but it is relatively big for my area so that could count, too.)

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Um, the only things I own with labels are actually my glasses and sunglasses. The glasses are Chanel and the sunglasses are Versace and I only got them because I really liked them, not for the name. Other than that, I don''t own anything with a label. I manage to find plenty of other things to spend my money on though
2.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
charmine..TP.. No generic for me!

purselover

Ideal_Rock
probably all of the above, but def my shoe collection has the most "status" brands

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not into name brands. I buy something only because I like it. Depending on what it is, I may or may not go for quality, but the name of it means nothing to me.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 11:06:38 AM
Author: Ellen
I''m not into name brands. I buy something only because I like it. Depending on what it is, I may or may not go for quality, but the name of it means nothing to me.
Thats how I am too, I will splurge on things that are worth it to me, otherwise if a cheaper no name brand works then that is what I go for.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
There isn't a single thing I can think of. Our home is nice, but I don't view it as a status symbol.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
Everything I own projects my status - my status of grad student!
31.gif

I do have a coach bag that I love, but otherwise, nothing really that has a ''status'' brand name.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I think that what people see as status symbols in my area aren''t necessarily status symbols in other areas. I''d say my Coach purses and Tiffany (silver) jewelery are a status symbol in my area, but it seems like the message those things send in larger cities is "Middle-class tourist."

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 10:30:14 AM
Author: mochi
charmine..TP.. No generic for me!
HI:

Amen! For me, it''s Cottonelle all the way!
9.gif
11.gif

cheers--Sharon

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 11:55:09 AM
Author: Elmorton
I think that what people see as status symbols in my area aren''t necessarily status symbols in other areas. I''d say my Coach purses and Tiffany (silver) jewelery are a status symbol in my area, but it seems like the message those things send in larger cities is ''Middle-class tourist.''

Ha! Very true. Which is another reason why most people have no idea what my "status symbols" are.
3.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 12:05:48 PM
Author: thing2of2

Ha! Very true. Which is another reason why most people have no idea what my 'status symbols' are.
3.gif

haha
I don't have status symbols!! I have un-symbols--like the fact that I don't/won't own a television.
3.gif

oneandahalfrock

Shiny_Rock
Not really- I have a few Coach bags, but that''s about it.
No matter how successful you are, how much money you make, there is always going to be someone with a bigger better version of what you have- learn to love what you got, don''t lust after what you have not and you''ll live a much happier life. (lol, and probably with far less debt too ;-) ).
12.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 12:11:02 PM
Author: coatimundi

Ha! Very true. Which is another reason why most people have no idea what my ''status symbols'' are.
3.gif

haha
I don''t have status symbols!! I have un-symbols--like the fact that I don''t/won''t own a television.
3.gif
6.gif
But, but, how do you live?????
9.gif

I couldn''t do that, you''re a better woman than me!
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 12:29:01 PM

Ha! Very true. Which is another reason why most people have no idea what my ''status symbols'' are.
3.gif

haha
I don''t have status symbols!! I have un-symbols--like the fact that I don''t/won''t own a television.
3.gif
6.gif
9.gif

2.gif
i could live without a TV too but not a computer.
12.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 12:32:43 PM
Author: Lorelei

Ha! Very true. Which is another reason why most people have no idea what my 'status symbols' are.
3.gif

haha

I don't have status symbols!! I have un-symbols--like the fact that I don't/won't own a television.
3.gif
6.gif
9.gif

I couldn't do that, you're a better woman than me!
2.gif

12.gif

haha! I can't live without my computer--no way! (but tv is easy!) One day, I just stopped watching tv, and I never watched again. If I want to watch something specifically, I just find it online. We also have a large cinema display mac where we watch movies--couldn't live without that!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 12:32:43 PM
Author: Lorelei

3.gif

haha
3.gif
6.gif
9.gif

2.gif
12.gif
38.gif
Weirdos.

25.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 11:55:09 AM
Author: Elmorton
I think that what people see as status symbols in my area aren''t necessarily status symbols in other areas. I''d say my Coach purses and Tiffany (silver) jewelery are a status symbol in my area, but it seems like the message those things send in larger cities is ''Middle-class tourist.''
Exactly. So unless you can afford the top designers -- you know, the Chanel suit, the Cartier jewelry, the Hermes bag -- you aren''t really making an impression on anyone. The mid-priced (and still too expensive) brands like Dooney and Burke or Coach aren''t going to get you noticed. You won''t see a star sporting a lesser ''status symbol'', so are they truly status symbols? Probably not. It''s just what ordinary people buy for one of two reasons: 1) they like the quality or the classic look, 2) spending $200+ on their handbag makes them feel good.

I can feel good on a lot less money.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results