shape
carat
color
clarity

what name brand items do you own that would consider a status symbol?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 10:30:14 AM
Author: mochi
charmine..TP.. No generic for me!
mochi,
Haha! Domo arigato.

DF,
I buy for quality, not name. So, while I do have branded items, I don''t think of them as status symbols.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
not much for me, really. I guess jewelry to some extent (though not name brands like Tiffany or Cartier), but I buy that for ME. Otherwise... I'm still living the student lifestyle, for the most part!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 11:55:09 AM
Author: Elmorton
I think that what people see as status symbols in my area aren''t necessarily status symbols in other areas. I''d say my Coach purses and Tiffany (silver) jewelery are a status symbol in my area, but it seems like the message those things send in larger cities is ''Middle-class tourist.''

Ditto this, but reversed in my situation. In the city where I live, I have virtually no "status symbols." Some nice stuff, yes, but nothing that sends any messages to people who don''t know me. When I go to visit my parents in the small town where they live and I grew up, though, I sometimes feel ostentatious. My Coach purses (from the outlet), Calvin Klein coat (bought on end-of-season clearance at Macy''s) and Tiffany e-ring and silver jewelry (none of which I bought for myself) feel way over the top there because people just don''t have many shopping options. It''s a really weird feeling when I go from one place to another.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 1:03:32 PM
Author: HollyS
Date: 3/1/2009 11:55:09 AM
Author: Elmorton
I think that what people see as status symbols in my area aren''t necessarily status symbols in other areas. I''d say my Coach purses and Tiffany (silver) jewelery are a status symbol in my area, but it seems like the message those things send in larger cities is ''Middle-class tourist.''

Exactly. So unless you can afford the top designers -- you know, the Chanel suit, the Cartier jewelry, the Hermes bag -- you aren''t really making an impression on anyone. The mid-priced (and still too expensive) brands like Dooney and Burke or Coach aren''t going to get you noticed. You won''t see a star sporting a lesser ''status symbol'', so are they truly status symbols? Probably not. It''s just what ordinary people buy for one of two reasons: 1) they like the quality or the classic look, 2) spending $200+ on their handbag makes them feel good.

I can feel good on a lot less money.
2.gif

Ditto on both accounts.

Every 16-year-old in our town has a Coach handbag, silver Tiffany jewelry (and gold, as well,) a Blackberry, and a brand new car. Most of them drive Lexus or BMWs, too, and here I am with my little Civic that could. These middle of the line brands definitely don''t stick out around here, and what a silly thing to want people to take notice of your "stuff" anyway, right?

I''m totally happy with non-branded things because everything I buy has to fit one of the following criteria, or I don''t want it:
- It is exceptionally beautiful
- It is exceptionally useful
- It makes me look and feel like a million bucks (not because of a brand, but because of cut, color, whatever. I''m thinking clothing, here, of course.)

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 2:00:07 PM
Author: Haven

I'm totally happy with non-branded things because everything I buy has to fit one of the following criteria, or I don't want it:

- It is exceptionally beautiful

- It is exceptionally useful

- It makes me look and feel like a million bucks (not because of a brand, but because of cut, color, whatever. I'm thinking clothing, here, of course.)

Well said! I guess my jeans technically count because they are trendy brands, but they don't have the brand written on the butt so hardly anyone would know they are "fancy", I buy them b/c of the fit and the wash. I also have a cartier trinity ring which I bought b/c I loved it, but I also got it secondhand and only paid a few hundred for it.

That's about it that could be construed as status symbols...

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 11:27:46 AM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 3/1/2009 11:06:38 AM

Author: Ellen

I''m not into name brands. I buy something only because I like it. Depending on what it is, I may or may not go for quality, but the name of it means nothing to me.

Thats how I am too, I will splurge on things that are worth it to me, otherwise if a cheaper no name brand works then that is what I go for.

me too. I love my designer shoes but I don''t classify them as a status symbol-I just think they''re worth it to me. Same with any of the bags/jewellery that I have.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I guess you can put me in the "depends on what it is" category. I drive a Ford, buy most of my clothes at Kohl''s, JCPenney, Target or other big box type stores and I''m not much into designer glasses or sunglasses. I do, however, love a good Coach bag and have several, I have one LV bag, and have one piece of Tiffany jewelry (that I just got last week). I live in the midwest so maybe these are status statements, but I don''t really see it that way.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 9:28:02 AM
Author: hoofbeats95

Date: 3/1/2009 6:23:52 AM
Author: Steel
My home*:
I designed it (with input from DH) and even if I say so myself; it is drool-worthy (for rural ROI anyway
9.gif
)
30.gif
9.gif
30.gif
16.gif
30.gif
Pictures! Must see pictures!!!! :)
I would LOVE to post pictures but am too worried about privacy/theft
32.gif
. I love to do a whole thread to get ideas for decorating but I will just have to muddle through.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
With reference to the perception of what is or isn't a status symbol I did a quick search on wikipedia and feel that the items I listed do find themselves listed under social status symbols.

I could also have listed my lithe tanned body - if I had one
28.gif

1.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I buy what I can afford, not what is brand name and "cool." I think it''s ridiculous to spend tons of money on something just for a brand name!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Although I buy nice quality leather handbags, they often aren''t major brands. No car actually... I suppose my denim is a status symbol, but I buy it more because of the incredible fit and wear. I usually wear paige jeans, they just fit right!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
c''mon ladies,spill it...i know a lot of you gals own some expensive name brand stuff.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
The only "big ticket" item I really have is a purple leather Marc Jacobs handbag that I covet. That thing doesn''t leave my site. I was planning on winning Powerball last night and buying some nice stuff, but that didn''t really work out for me, so I will continue to shop at Target for my duds.

41.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My Mercedes and my LV handbags.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 3:03:39 PM
With reference to the perception of what is or isn''t a status symbol I did a quick search on wikipedia and feel that the items I listed do find themselves listed under social status symbols.

I could also have listed my lithe tanned body - if I had one
28.gif

1.gif
LOL!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 3:43:23 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
c''mon ladies,spill it...i know a lot of you gals own some expensive name brand stuff.
neenerneenerguy.gif

bebe

Ideal_Rock
cars ( are Corvettes a status symbol?)
handbags (Chanel and LV )

some jewelry
nice home

other than that, I don''t feel like I have to buy certain items to fit in or compete.
I think many of us will wear something from Target, Wal-Mart with no problem
and wear ''em with pride too! I dress to please myself. I decorate my home to
please myself.

Fleur_de_Lis

Shiny_Rock
My cars, homes, jewellery, clothes, handbags, perfume, makeup, etc.

Not to sound like a complete snob but I don''t buy or do cheap things. If it works for others, great, but it doesn''t suit me. I can certainly afford the expensive luxuries in life so I expect nothing less. Besides, I live in a very affluent community so it''s just the norm here. You don''t see Coach and Toyota cars around here. If we do, we know you''re just a tourist.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have Dior glasses but I didn't know what the "D" stood for when I bought them. Brand names mean nothing to me.
Edited to say: I forgot, I have CROCS
3.gif
3.gif
3.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 4:02:27 PM
Author: B.H.S

Not to sound like a complete snob but I don't buy or do cheap things. If it works for others, great, but it doesn't suit me. I can certainly afford the expensive luxuries in life so I expect nothing less. Besides, I live in a very affluent community so it's just the norm here. You don't see Coach and Toyota cars around here. If we do, we know you're just a tourist.
wow !! can you tell me how do the rich and famous live?

lunchtime !!! sadly us poor folks here will have to settle for Micky D today.
39.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 3:02:07 PM

My home*:

I designed it (with input from DH) and even if I say so myself; it is drool-worthy (for rural ROI anyway
9.gif
)

30.gif
9.gif
30.gif
16.gif
30.gif

32.gif
. I love to do a whole thread to get ideas for decorating but I will just have to muddle through.

You could just show the inside
27.gif
That''s what I do. You will NEVER find a picture of the outside of my home on the internet.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Not to sound like a complete snob but I don''t buy or do cheap things. If it works for others, great, but it doesn''t suit me. I can certainly afford the expensive luxuries in life so I expect nothing less. Besides, I live in a very affluent community so it''s just the norm here. You don''t see Coach and Toyota cars around here. If we do, we know you''re just a tourist.
Interesting. So, does that mean if you found a well made piece of furniture, but it didn''t have a "brand/status symbol name, you wouldn''t buy it? In other words, what defines "cheap"? Does slapping a brand and several thousand dollars on something make it better? or just more expensive?
9.gif

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you drive a Toyota around here it means your are economical!

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 1:03:32 PM
Author: HollyS

Exactly. So unless you can afford the top designers -- you know, the Chanel suit, the Cartier jewelry, the Hermes bag -- you aren''t really making an impression on anyone. The mid-priced (and still too expensive) brands like Dooney and Burke or Coach aren''t going to get you noticed. You won''t see a star sporting a lesser ''status symbol'', so are they truly status symbols? Probably not. It''s just what ordinary people buy for one of two reasons: 1) they like the quality or the classic look, 2) spending $200+ on their handbag makes them feel good.

I can feel good on a lot less money.
2.gif
Holly, here''s a link to the thread on the Purse Forum devoted to celebs carrying Coach bags: http://forum.purseblog.com/coach/celebrities-and-coach-28725.html I believe it''s up to 117 pages now.
1.gif

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 4:19:07 PM

Not to sound like a complete snob but I don't buy or do cheap things. If it works for others, great, but it doesn't suit me. I can certainly afford the expensive luxuries in life so I expect nothing less. Besides, I live in a very affluent community so it's just the norm here. You don't see Coach and Toyota cars around here. If we do, we know you're just a tourist.
Interesting. So, does that mean if you found a well made piece of furniture, but it didn't have a 'brand/status symbol name, you wouldn't buy it? In other words, what defines 'cheap'? Does slapping a brand and several thousand dollars on something make it better? or just more expensive?
9.gif
Ellen, this reminds me of a friend I had years back (but is no reflection on what BHS posted!)

We were in the city and she wanted to buy a birthday card for somebody. I always bulk buy my cards and stash them at home for convenience. As a result I know where the best cheapest cards are to buy. So anyhoo I said oh we are passing X discount shop; they have Hallmark cards and are only €1 - €1.50 each (instead of the usual €3.50- €5!). She looked at me as if I suggested we send a lump of dog poo with a candle on it and said ugh she would prefer to buy from Easons (stationary/book chain store). I said nothing - they are the same cards, why pay more? It seemed the idea of buying from a discount store was repugnant to her shopping beliefs.
20.gif

And on the issue of buy cheap get cheap and you get what you pay for:

When I was younger I bought my purses from barrats shoe store and the like and was always happy with the quality; no obvious flaws. Now pretty much all my purses are LV and I cannot count the amount of times I have had to send a purse back because of a major flaw - unstitched seams are the numbero uno issue
20.gif
and sometimes I do not send them back - just live with the little flaw. So paying $1000+ on a purse does not guarantee quality (control).

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 4:17:45 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring

Date: 3/1/2009 3:02:07 PM

My home*:

9.gif
)

30.gif
9.gif
30.gif
16.gif
30.gif

32.gif
You could just show the inside
27.gif
That''s what I do. You will NEVER find a picture of the outside of my home on the internet.
Inside pictures I could do...hmmm.

Stay tuned to this bat channel
11.gif
. (It is in the final stages of construction
36.gif
)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 4:49:52 PM

Date: 3/1/2009 4:19:07 PM

Interesting. So, does that mean if you found a well made piece of furniture, but it didn't have a 'brand/status symbol name, you wouldn't buy it? In other words, what defines 'cheap'? Does slapping a brand and several thousand dollars on something make it better? or just more expensive?
9.gif
Ellen, this reminds me of a friend I had years back.

We were in the city and she wanted to buy a birthday card for somebody. I always bulk buy my cards and stash them at home for convenience. As a result I know where the best cheapest cards are to buy. So anyhoo I said oh we are passing X discount shop; they have Hallmark cards and are only €1 - €1.50 each (instead of the usual €3.50- €5!). She looked at me as if I suggested we send a lump of dog poo with a candle on it and said ugh she would prefer to buy from Easons (stationary/book chain store). I said nothing - they are the same cards, why pay more? It seemed the idea of buying from a discount store was repugnant to her shopping beliefs.
20.gif

And on the issue of buy cheap get cheap and you get what you pay for:

When I was younger I bought my purses from barrats shoe store and the like and was always happy with the quality; no obvious flaws. Now pretty much all my purses are LV and I cannot count the amount of times I have had to send a purse back because of a major flaw - unstiched seams are the numbero uno issue
20.gif
and sometimes I do not send them back - just live with the little flaw. So paying $1000+ on a purse does not guarantee quality (control).
lol.gif

See, that's the type of thinking that loses me. If you want something nice, I have no problem, I love nice things too! But buy it at the best price, paying more/having a brand name doesn't necessarily make it better!
2.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 10:30:14 AM
Author: mochi
charmine..TP.. No generic for me!

ha ha ha ha ha Mochi. You are too cute.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
See to me this thread is more about what you own that *could* be considered a status symbol, not necessarily whether you think that or not. I honestly don''t think of my stuff as status symbols-I buy it because I love it, it fits well (expensive jeans, for example), it''s well made, etc. I also have plenty of H&M, etc., mixed in with my pricier stuff. (Most of which I buy at a discount from the store I work at, or I get it with a coupon code online.)

But some stuff is pretty impossible to find on the cheap. I have yet to find a great leather handbag in a style I love for less than $300. (My friend agrees with me on the handbag thing, but she just can''t bring herself to shell out for a $300 handbag, whereas I can because I carry the same bag for literally months at a time.) And I would GLADLY buy a great looking bag for $20 if I could find one that I liked! I used to work at a different clothing store a while ago and I bought several of their leather handbags (with my discount) and got TONS of compliments on them, and it was definitely not a status brand.

Anyway, just my random thoughts on clothing, bags, etc. as status symbols!

islandgirl16

Rough_Rock
I drive a BMW and some would think that''s considered a "status symbol". I don''t. I test-drove it once and was absolutely convinced it''s amongst the best cars in the world. I went for the quality and the driving experience it offers.

However, I must admit I''m crazed with purses.... My closet is filled with Gucci and LV purses, too bad! For the price of these things, I think they are status symbols. But hey, I''m not consumed with these things and won''t dare go broke for it. So yeah - defending myself eh?!

36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results