shape
carat
color
clarity

what name brand items do you own that would consider a status symbol?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 9:15:50 PM
Author: Harriet
Is it fiction or non-fiction?

non-fiction
link

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 7:47:19 PM
Author: steph72276
Ever read Millionaire Next Door? You really can''t tell a lot about a person by the handbag they carry or the car they drive...they could be loaded or they could be up to their eyeballs in debt. My status symbol will be a paid off home mortgage before I hit 40 and I like it that way!
I read that book; got it as a Christmas present.
1.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I see that DF is out there causing trouble again . . . tee hee
9.gif
11.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 9:36:39 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
9.gif
11.gif
How bored would everyone be without him?
3.gif

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 9:41:22 PM
Author: icekid
Date: 3/1/2009 9:36:39 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
9.gif
11.gif
How bored would everyone be without him?
3.gif

You are right. We would be bored! LOL!

He phrases his questions so beautifully ambiguously - all in the spirit of causing more trouble too! LOL!! "what name brand items do you own that would consider a status symbol?" Uhhhh . . . who would consider?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 9:19:35 PM
Author: Haven

non-fiction
link
Haven,
Thanks.

MC,
I agree with you. It scares me to see how some people spend.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 9:18:18 PM
Author: thing2of2

hey,why not? you been doing a pretty good job so far. i wanna know how the rich people lives in B.H.

Ha! I think this is the first time you''ve elicited an ''Oh SNAP!'' from me DF!

And yeah, BHS, I''d say it''s too late to worry about offending people or coming off as a snob!
2.gif
hmmm...i wonder
hmmm.gif
there was this other rich gal from B.H whom was posting here a few months ago.
yuminmytum.gif

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 9:51:00 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

hey,why not? you been doing a pretty good job so far. i wanna know how the rich people lives in B.H.

And yeah, BHS, I''d say it''s too late to worry about offending people or coming off as a snob!
2.gif
hmmm...i wonder
hmmm.gif
yuminmytum.gif

DFire--You are so BAD! Tsk tsk tsk.

I love it.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Maybe because I''m a jaded New Yoker but there''s so many (fake) Chanel, Gucci schmoochie, D&G stuff here, I never know what''s real or not and I don''t really care. Cars, ha! if you can afford to take cabs everywhere here I''d probably consider that a status symbol.

As for me, it''s all about the quality and how it looks on. If I really love something, AND it won''t break the bank, I don''t look think about the designer. Anything from Robeto Cavalli (he makes jeans in my size
30.gif
) to Old Navy.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
There is another book that I found interesting: Deluxe - How Luxury Lost its Luster by Dana Thomas. Link. I highly recommend it.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ha! I think this is the first time you've elicited an 'Oh SNAP!' from me DF!

And yeah, BHS, I'd say it's too late to worry about offending people or coming off as a snob!
2.gif
hmmm...i wonder
hmmm.gif
yuminmytum.gif
Break out the Mike & Ike's!!!

Tell all!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
purses.

Irishgrrrl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

2.gif
hmmm...i wonder
hmmm.gif
yuminmytum.gif
DF, I have to say . . . I have a sneaking suspicion that B.H.S. has another screen name here on PS that she has posted under in the past. I''m not entirely sure, but I do have that sneaking suspicion!
2.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 8:29:21 PM
Author: B.H.S
Date: 3/1/2009 5:34:22 PM

Author: coatimundi

Date: 3/1/2009 4:19:07 PM

Author: Ellen

Date: 3/1/2009 4:02:27 PM

My cars, homes, jewellery, clothes, handbags, perfume, makeup, etc.

Not to sound like a complete snob but I don't buy or do cheap things. If it works for others, great, but it doesn't suit me. I can certainly afford the expensive luxuries in life so I expect nothing less. Besides, I live in a very affluent community so it's just the norm here. You don't see Coach and Toyota cars around here. If we do, we know you're just a tourist.
Interesting. So, does that mean if you found a well made piece of furniture, but it didn't have a 'brand/status symbol name, you wouldn't buy it? In other words, what defines 'cheap'? Does slapping a brand and several thousand dollars on something make it better? or just more expensive?
9.gif

Well, where I live (Los Angeles), Toyotas (Prius) are a major status symbol in some very affluent areas.

2.gif

(or at least they were 4 years ago
3.gif
)

I live in Los Angeles too and the only people that drive Toyota Priuses, in the very affluent areas, are the ones concerned with the environment. They are in no way a 'major status symbol', they're not even a minor status symbol.

Different kind of status--different perspective. I know plenty in the biz who several years ago bought a Prius for the eco bragging rights--what I'm talking about. I know a producer who has exclusive use of a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle, and yeah, you could say he considers it a "status symbol."
2.gif
Not everyone in affluent areas of Los Angeles considers a Bentley a status symbol, and I would not presume to define status with trite examples of wealth. There's a whole world of status you're missing out on B.H.S.
11.gif

24.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I just realized - my cameras could be considered status symbols. They mean I am not an amateur. Sweet!

$100 = point and shoot camera.
$1500 = pro-level camera. Which is what I have. It''s a big thing and the lens makes it even bigger.

Now I feel kinda snobbish
6.gif

Ali

Shiny_Rock
If there are any concerns about another member, they should be reported directly to us via the "Report Concern" button under the post.

Stay on topic.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neither. It''s an industry.
2.gif

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
status symbol.... I spend loads of cash on food and wine. I love a good meal.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 8:23:34 PM

Date: 3/1/2009 4:19:07 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 3/1/2009 4:02:27 PM

My cars, homes, jewellery, clothes, handbags, perfume, makeup, etc.

Not to sound like a complete snob but I don't buy or do cheap things. If it works for others, great, but it doesn't suit me. I can certainly afford the expensive luxuries in life so I expect nothing less. Besides, I live in a very affluent community so it's just the norm here. You don't see Coach and Toyota cars around here. If we do, we know you're just a tourist.
Interesting. So, does that mean if you found a well made piece of furniture, but it didn't have a 'brand/status symbol name, you wouldn't buy it? In other words, what defines 'cheap'? Does slapping a brand and several thousand dollars on something make it better? or just more expensive?
9.gif

For some things it doesn't make it better but for a great deal of other things it does. Examples; handbags from Hermes last a heck of a lot longer than those bags from Walmart. Chanel, Gucci and Louis Vuitton clothes are going to last longer than Walmart and Target clothes. A Bentley lasts longer than a Dodge Neon. Do I need to continue? To answer your question, furniture is a tad different than handbags, cars, etc.. However if I need furniture I don't go to some place such as Raymore and Flanigan (not that there's anything wrong with that), I go to speciality or antique stores that carry the stuff I like and would put in my home.

As for what defines 'cheap', it's all subjective. I would rather not say what I, personally, consider 'cheap'. I certainly don't wish to offend anyone.
20.gif
I agree with your statement that more expensive things last longer (or should) but not all the time. I had a terrific Prada tote and the inside tore after 2 months, I didn't have anything drastic in there, just wallet, cell phone, makeup bag. My mom bought me this neat Andy Warhol tote from Ross and to be honest that thing is a fricken tank. I carry everything in there and it hasn't had anything happen to it.
I think some items you buy for the name and some you buy for the quality.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
I consider my college degree [well, the one I will finally have in May!] a "status symbol" of sorts, I suppose. My brain is hands down the most expensive thing I own, and probably will be the most expensive thing I EVER own, short of a house if we end up owning one someday. I''m not sure it''s exactly "name brand," per se, but some would consider it to be, for sure. I certainly do not go around flaunting it, though, and I did not obtain it for that purpose, nor do I expect or plan for it to necessarily generate wealth-based status items in the future. I passionately love to learn and value my education, and therefore in my own mind it has a significant amount of value and status.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 10:22:47 PM
Author: MC

2.gif
hmmm...i wonder
hmmm.gif
yuminmytum.gif
Break out the Mike & Ike''s!!!

Tell all!
that thread was closed and i miss the climax.
boohoo1.gif

Fleur_de_Lis

Shiny_Rock
Different kind of status--different perspective.
11.gif

Obviously!
38.gif

I know plenty in the biz who several years ago bought a Prius for the eco bragging rights--what I''m talking about. I know a producer who has exclusive use of a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle, and yeah, you could say he considers it a ''status symbol.''
2.gif

Let me guess, you drive a Prius. If you want to think that car is a "status symbol", go right ahead.
11.gif
As I said in another post, it''s all subjective. However in the context of which I was speaking, "eco bragging rights" does not equal "major status symbol". Note, that''s my opinion. If you don''t agree with it, you don''t have to. I''m also speaking of the present tense, not something that was "cool" and "hip" years ago. I couldn''t care less what was a big "years" ago. As with many things, that which was popular back then is most likely not now. From my understanding, 8 tracks where a huge "status symbol" back in the 70''s. And what are they now? They''re crap!

Not everyone in affluent areas of Los Angeles considers a Bentley a status symbol,...
You''re right, there are people that don''t see a bentley, or any of "those" cars, as "status symbol". But since there are huge number of "those" cars on the road, I''m going to think the majority do, especially since they''re not known for great fuel mileage or being extra safe. However, although it''s off point, I can guarantee that more people consider a bentley a status symbol than a Prius, especially in my neighbourhood. I don''t know what''s popular in your neighbourhood or what you consider "status" and, furthermore, I don''t care.

and I would not presume to define status with trite examples of wealth.

Then don''t presume anything. In my book, presuming is the same as assuming, and we all know what they say about that.
27.gif

There''s a whole world of status you''re missing out on B.H.S.

Wow, you "presume" a lot. Unless you''re referring to what I have written in my posts, do not presume to think I''m missing out. In fact don''t presume anything about me.
38.gif

24.gif

Fleur_de_Lis

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 11:56:05 PM
Author: WishfulThinking
I consider my college degree [well, the one I will finally have in May!] a ''status symbol'' of sorts, I suppose. My brain is hands down the most expensive thing I own, and probably will be the most expensive thing I EVER own, short of a house if we end up owning one someday. I''m not sure it''s exactly ''name brand,'' per se, but some would consider it to be, for sure. I certainly do not go around flaunting it, though, and I did not obtain it for that purpose, nor do I expect or plan for it to necessarily generate wealth-based status items in the future. I passionately love to learn and value my education, and therefore in my own mind it has a significant amount of value and status.

That''s an excellent point WT.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 12:09:01 AM

Obviously!
38.gif

Let me guess, you drive a Prius. If you want to think that car is a 'status symbol', go right ahead.
11.gif
As I said in another post, it's all subjective. However in the context of which I was speaking, 'eco bragging rights' does not equal 'major status symbol'. Note, that's my opinion. If you don't agree with it, you don't have to. I'm also speaking of the present tense, not something that was 'cool' and 'hip' years ago. I couldn't care less what was a big 'years' ago. As with many things, that which was popular back then is most likely not now. From my understanding, 8 tracks where a huge 'status symbol' back in the 70's. And what are they now? They're crap!

You're right, there are people that don't see a bentley, or any of 'those' cars, as 'status symbol'. But since there are huge number of 'those' cars on the road, I'm going to think the majority do, especially since they're not known for great fuel mileage or being extra safe. However, although it's off point, I can guarantee that more people consider a bentley a status symbol than a Prius, especially in my neighbourhood. I don't know what's popular in your neighbourhood or what you consider 'status' and, furthermore, I don't care.

Then don't presume anything. In my book, presuming is the same as assuming, and we all know what they say about that.
27.gif

Wow, you 'presume' a lot. Unless you're referring to what I have written in my posts, do not presume to think I'm missing out. In fact don't presume anything about me.
38.gif

*edited to organize your brilliant quoting system*

Oh simmer down.

I do NOT drive a Prius. I am pointing out different types of "status" in the city of Los Angeles.

I'm not a fan of "ECO status" just like I'm not of fan of the "status" YOU have defined. Status?? not my thing.

I've had enough status for one evening.

Later DUDE.
35.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
my 2001Toyota truck is a status symbol.
16.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does my terribly fancy pedigreed pup (new & improved with bionic knees!) count?
3.gif
I'm simply too cool for status symbols. And feel sorry for those who think it counts for something. My pity for them is AGGRESSIVE. Am so sheepish about my previous label-grubbing I can barely believe that was me. Glad I'm not on that reDONKulous hamster wheel any longer.
9.gif

31.gif
11.gif
25.gif

** the above message was brought to you by Gwen Stefani's catchy single "Wind It Up".
2.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 12:14:53 AM

Then don''t presume anything. In my book, presuming is the same as assuming, and we all know what they say about that.
27.gif

Are you calling me an arse??
1.gif
Right back ''atcha sweetheart.

Can I borrow your Bentley??
3.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are drugs a status symbol? Because someone looks like she''s snorting, shooting, or smoking something.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, and my account balances (plenty in the bank, nothing on the cards after they are paid off in full every month) are my status symbols - known only to me and that''s the way I like it. I pay my own way through life, and I don''t pay a lot for much.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Status is a state of mind. If you need status, you probably don't really have it. Lots of repos, foreclosures, and bankruptcies happen to people who 'need' status symbols.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results