shape
carat
color
clarity

what name brand items do you own that would consider a status symbol?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 4:19:07 PM
Author: Ellen
Date: 3/1/2009 4:02:27 PM

Author: B.H.S

My cars, homes, jewellery, clothes, handbags, perfume, makeup, etc.

Not to sound like a complete snob but I don't buy or do cheap things. If it works for others, great, but it doesn't suit me. I can certainly afford the expensive luxuries in life so I expect nothing less. Besides, I live in a very affluent community so it's just the norm here. You don't see Coach and Toyota cars around here. If we do, we know you're just a tourist.
Interesting. So, does that mean if you found a well made piece of furniture, but it didn't have a 'brand/status symbol name, you wouldn't buy it? In other words, what defines 'cheap'? Does slapping a brand and several thousand dollars on something make it better? or just more expensive?
9.gif

Well, where I live (Los Angeles), Toyotas (Prius) are a major status symbol in some very affluent areas.
2.gif

(or at least they were 4 years ago
3.gif
)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 5:21:13 PM
Author: thing2of2

See to me this thread is more about what you own that *could* be considered a status symbol, not necessarily whether you think that or not. I honestly don't think of my stuff as status symbols-I buy it because I love it, it fits well (expensive jeans, for example), it's well made, etc. I also have plenty of H&M, etc., mixed in with my pricier stuff. (Most of which I buy at a discount from the store I work at, or I get it with a coupon code online.)
But brand name is a requirement, per DF.
25.gif

I honestly can't think of any real brand name (and, what constitues an influential name??) thing I own (outside of my Vatche setting I guess, lol), though I own lots of nice things. What I have that I think "might" be considered a real status symbol, as in what wealthy, influential people would appreciate, is stuff I've inherited, like oriental rugs, crystal and silverware. *shrugs*

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 5:35:34 PM

See to me this thread is more about what you own that *could* be considered a status symbol, not necessarily whether you think that or not. I honestly don''t think of my stuff as status symbols-I buy it because I love it, it fits well (expensive jeans, for example), it''s well made, etc. I also have plenty of H&M, etc., mixed in with my pricier stuff. (Most of which I buy at a discount from the store I work at, or I get it with a coupon code online.)
But brand name is a requirement, per DF.
25.gif

I honestly can''t think of any real brand name (and, what constitues an influential name??) thing I own (outside of my Vatche setting I guess, lol), though I own lots of nice things. What I have that I think ''might'' be considered a real status symbol, as in what wealthy, influential people would appreciate, is stuff I''ve inherited, like oriental rugs, crystal and silverware. *shrugs*
Thing,

That, to me(
9.gif
), is the problem with subjectivity. How can one know what is to be considered a status symbol when the value is assigned by a social group.So with objectively assigned value which is assessed by independent subjectivity of members of that social group, how can one know which items to include in such a list without discussion?

26.gif

lovegem

Shiny_Rock
I hardly think of anyone with anything expensive as having a high status in their community.

I have seen too many people who are living a life that doesn''t fit into what we believe would scream out their status in society. For example, I know many medical doctors ride a bike to work, and I don''t see them wearing brand name clothes. On the other hand, I know some new college grads earn less than $40K drives a BMW. Someone I knew from high school drove a Lexus (I was told it was high end model). The guy didn''t even have a regular job.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
See to me this thread is more about DF being up to his old tricks again.
Exactly!
9.gif
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 6:29:31 PM

Exactly!
9.gif
2.gif
hey...don''t blame me just b/c Kaleigh didn''t ship you the Mercedes.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 7:25:22 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Exactly!
9.gif
2.gif
hey...don''t blame me just b/c Kaleigh didn''t ship you the Mercedes.
lol.gif
Good one.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 3:22:34 PM
Author: kcoursolle
Although I buy nice quality leather handbags, they often aren''t major brands. No car actually... I suppose my denim is a status symbol, but I buy it more because of the incredible fit and wear. I usually wear paige jeans, they just fit right!
Ditto! I love my Paiges!

I own a Subaru and a VW as far as cars go, and none of my jewelry is name-brand. I do have a few Coach bags, but my shoes contain some of the higher end brands, but they just happened to be what worked with what I was looking for that day.
3.gif

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Ever read Millionaire Next Door? You really can't tell a lot about a person by the handbag they carry or the car they drive...they could be loaded or they could be up to their eyeballs in debt. My status symbol will be a paid off home mortgage before I hit 40 and I like it that way!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Did you guys see Jose Eber on TV recently? He discovered K-Mart! He said he bought underwear, 100% cotton, very nice, that was just as nice as
the $40.00 per pair ones he had been buying.
6.gif
He was amazed at what was offered in there!

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
steph is right. You really can't tell anything about someone's income level by the clothes they wear, the car they drive, etc...
Some millionaires are eccentric and look like the poorest people you'd ever meet. They dont' like to spend money. Other regular folks flash their designer names and don't have any money at all because they are in debt. Can't judge a book by it's cover!

I have a couple coach bags but none of them with the giant c's. I think they are nice but just not for me. I prefer the more subdued c's (where they are the same color as the background) or leather. My coach bag now was around $75 (it was marked down a lot at the outlet) I think, and most people wouldn't guess it was coach since it's leather and the tag usually ends up in my bag when I zip it. I love the bag, not because it's coach, but because the quality is awesome. I had a $40 bag a few years back from a chain store which I loved but after one year the stitching came out so that sucked. I haven't had that problem with a coach bag. That said, I dont buy them often and make sure it's a style I absolutely love before I buy one so I'l get a ton of use out of it.

I buy cheap clothes, shoes, makeup (except for some Clinique), but the only thing I bought that may be considered a status symbol (at least in my area) is my North Face jacket. It was pricey and a splurge for me but it is sooooo warm and I've worn it a ton this winter. Oddly enough, I do feel sort of uncomfortable sometimes wearing it because I know it's expensive and I'm not one to spend that kind of money on things like that usually. The quality of this jacket though is worth it to me, regardless of the name. It's just that the name is plastered on the front and back so everyone knows I have an expensive jacket and that makes me sort of uncomfortable.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Only my jeans and makeup are fancy brands. All my jeans are designer (I have around eight pairs - 7s of Mankind, COH, Joe's, etc.) and all of my makeup is higher-end. A lot of Chanel Glossimers. That is IT!!! The handbag I use was only $100 and I pair my $150+ jeans with $10 t-shirts from Old Navy.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We generally buy the best quality we can find that is a good value. We use Consumer Reports for most appliances, electronics, etc. I have found that the most expensive status brands are NOT always the best quality! We bought diamonds from GOG and WF because they were the best (equivalent) quality at a reasonable price compared to the status brands. There are a lot of items that garner some kind of cult following...such as the huge SUV''s that have been popular. I am glad we didn''t get on that bandwagon when gas hit $4.00 a gallon. We could afford a lot more than we have, but we choose to be totally debt free instead. I just have zero desire for a $1000 purse. It''s not even tempting to me. (But for those who can be debt free and have the status items..more power to them! I just think a lot of people get in debt up to their ears to have status brands and a house bigger than they can afford.)

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Definitely my car, handbags, and sunglasses. I have a pretty nice watch but I would like an even nicer one ;-) I also am addicted to Bobbi Brown cosmetics - I just don''t like the quality of the drugstore makeup.

I don''t really care about my clothes labels - I just buy what I like. Same with shoes, though I will admit that I like the quality materials used by nicer brands.

Oddly enough, I never really cared about having "brand-name" jewelry. I would much rather have a Leon Mege ring than a Cartier (no offense to Cartier owners - they are beautiful too) even though no one I know IRL knows who Leon is.

I guess overall, I go for quality over brand name. It just so happens that with some things, I find that brand-name products are better quality (for instance I have really loved the Volvo I have now and my old Saab, but my first car, which was a Mazda, broke down all the time).

Fleur_de_Lis

Shiny_Rock

Not to sound like a complete snob but I don''t buy or do cheap things. If it works for others, great, but it doesn''t suit me. I can certainly afford the expensive luxuries in life so I expect nothing less. Besides, I live in a very affluent community so it''s just the norm here. You don''t see Coach and Toyota cars around here. If we do, we know you''re just a tourist.
Interesting. So, does that mean if you found a well made piece of furniture, but it didn''t have a ''brand/status symbol name, you wouldn''t buy it? In other words, what defines ''cheap''? Does slapping a brand and several thousand dollars on something make it better? or just more expensive?
9.gif

For some things it doesn''t make it better but for a great deal of other things it does. Examples; handbags from Hermes last a heck of a lot longer than those bags from Walmart. Chanel, Gucci and Louis Vuitton clothes are going to last longer than Walmart and Target clothes. A Bentley lasts longer than a Dodge Neon. Do I need to continue? To answer your question, furniture is a tad different than handbags, cars, etc.. However if I need furniture I don''t go to some place such as Raymore and Flanigan (not that there''s anything wrong with that), I go to speciality or antique stores that carry the stuff I like and would put in my home.

As for what defines "cheap", it''s all subjective. I would rather not say what I, personally, consider "cheap". I certainly don''t wish to offend anyone.
20.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 8:16:36 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
(But for those who can be debt free and have the status items..more power to them! I just think a lot of people get in debt up to their ears to have status brands and a house bigger than they can afford.)
Yeah, you gotta wonder about the debt thing! Even with the economy as is, the malls by me are still so packed on the weekends it''s difficult to find parking. When I shop, I always bring cash and when I run out, I''m done for the day. I swear I''m the ONLY person using real life dollar bills. Everyone else is charging up on credit cards and recently when I paid with cash, a cashier even remarked on not having seen anyone do that in a long time!

Fleur_de_Lis

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 5:34:22 PM
Author: coatimundi

Not to sound like a complete snob but I don't buy or do cheap things. If it works for others, great, but it doesn't suit me. I can certainly afford the expensive luxuries in life so I expect nothing less. Besides, I live in a very affluent community so it's just the norm here. You don't see Coach and Toyota cars around here. If we do, we know you're just a tourist.
Interesting. So, does that mean if you found a well made piece of furniture, but it didn't have a 'brand/status symbol name, you wouldn't buy it? In other words, what defines 'cheap'? Does slapping a brand and several thousand dollars on something make it better? or just more expensive?
9.gif

Well, where I live (Los Angeles), Toyotas (Prius) are a major status symbol in some very affluent areas.

2.gif

(or at least they were 4 years ago
3.gif
)

I live in Los Angeles too and the only people that drive Toyota Priuses, in the very affluent areas, are the ones concerned with the environment. They are in no way a "major status symbol", they're not even a minor status symbol.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2009 8:23:34 PM

9.gif

For some things it doesn't make it better but for a great deal of other things it does. Examples; handbags from Hermes last a heck of a lot longer than those bags from Walmart. Chanel, Gucci and Louis Vuitton clothes are going to last longer than Walmart and Target clothes. A Bentley lasts longer than a Dodge Neon. Do I need to continue? To answer your question, furniture is a tad different than handbags, cars, etc.. However if I need furniture I don't go to some place such as Raymore and Flanigan (not that there's anything wrong with that), I go to speciality or antique stores that carry the stuff I like and would put in my home.

As for what defines 'cheap', it's all subjective. I would rather not say what I, personally, consider 'cheap'. I certainly don't wish to offend anyone.
20.gif
hey,why not? you been doing a pretty good job so far. i wanna know how the rich people lives in B.H.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Not to sound like a complete snob but I don''t buy or do cheap things. If it works for others, great, but it doesn''t suit me. I can certainly afford the expensive luxuries in life so I expect nothing less. Besides, I live in a very affluent community so it''s just the norm here. You don''t see Coach and Toyota cars around here. If we do, we know you''re just a tourist.
Interesting. So, does that mean if you found a well made piece of furniture, but it didn''t have a ''brand/status symbol name, you wouldn''t buy it? In other words, what defines ''cheap''? Does slapping a brand and several thousand dollars on something make it better? or just more expensive?
9.gif

For some things it doesn''t make it better but for a great deal of other things it does. Examples; handbags from Hermes last a heck of a lot longer than those bags from Walmart. Chanel, Gucci and Louis Vuitton clothes are going to last longer than Walmart and Target clothes. A Bentley lasts longer than a Dodge Neon. Do I need to continue? To answer your question, furniture is a tad different than handbags, cars, etc.. However if I need furniture I don''t go to some place such as Raymore and Flanigan (not that there''s anything wrong with that), I go to speciality or antique stores that carry the stuff I like and would put in my home.

As for what defines ''cheap'', it''s all subjective. I would rather not say what I, personally, consider ''cheap''. I certainly don''t wish to offend anyone.
20.gif
You''re comparing black and white. Hermes vs. Walmart. Chanel vs. Target. There''s an incredible amount of middle ground.
2.gif

Mrs.Guz

Shiny_Rock

B.H.S., sorry, but I just have to say that the way this comment was worded is totally uncalled for.

So many people are struggling in these very difficult economic times!

You should just be grateful for what you have and leave it at that! No need for the snootiness!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

9.gif

For some things it doesn't make it better but for a great deal of other things it does. Examples; handbags from Hermes last a heck of a lot longer than those bags from Walmart. Chanel, Gucci and Louis Vuitton clothes are going to last longer than Walmart and Target clothes. A Bentley lasts longer than a Dodge Neon. Do I need to continue? To answer your question, furniture is a tad different than handbags, cars, etc.. However if I need furniture I don't go to some place such as Raymore and Flanigan (not that there's anything wrong with that), I go to speciality or antique stores that carry the stuff I like and would put in my home.

As for what defines 'cheap', it's all subjective. I would rather not say what I, personally, consider 'cheap'. I certainly don't wish to offend anyone.
20.gif
The concept of branded items = Classiness is also subjective. You may have one woman carrying a Hermes bag, Chanel outfit, and drive a Bentley and look elegant, whereas another will have all that to show off and look like a fashion victim.
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes, MC. Money doesn''t buy class.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 8:59:25 PM
Author: Harriet

Oh, yes, very much agreed.

And snobbery about the way others spend their money certainly doesn''t get you anywhere. Gauche, gauche, gauche.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 8:59:25 PM
Author: Harriet
That is clear!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I don''t necessarily consider having name brand items as a status symbol.

While I love certain designer things, I don''t consider myself having any higher status than anyone else.

I can see someone driving a Mercedes but I don''t know where they live, for all I know, they live in a rented apartment in a bad neighborhood or they are seriously in debt and barely making the payments. Or they could be millionaires.

My friend is 35 and lives at home and drives a BMW and loves designer bags. She has an 8 yr. old that is taken care of by her parents while she goes and sleeps over with her boyfriend every night of the week. They take her daughter to school, pick her up from school and do her homework with her, etc.

She has a good job, she''s a nurse, but she doesn''t want to move out because she doesn''t have to pay rent or utilities. But, she makes a big deal about driving an expensive car.

If you saw her on the street, you would think she is loaded and living the good life.

I don''t equate having designer items with a higher status symbol at all.

If you like it, just buy it because you like it. That''s what I do....

Mrs.Guz

Shiny_Rock
Money does NOT buy class!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 7:47:19 PM
Author: steph72276
Ever read Millionaire Next Door? You really can''t tell a lot about a person by the handbag they carry or the car they drive...they could be loaded or they could be up to their eyeballs in debt. My status symbol will be a paid off home mortgage before I hit 40 and I like it that way!

Oh, I definitely agree. DH works with some extremely influential and well-off individuals, yet you would never know it just by looking at them.

Loved the book, too, steph.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it fiction or non-fiction?

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

Exactly!
9.gif
2.gif

Heeeeey! You''re tricky!
3.gif
(But correct.)
3.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2009 8:29:52 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

9.gif

20.gif
hey,why not? you been doing a pretty good job so far. i wanna know how the rich people lives in B.H.

Ha! I think this is the first time you've elicited an "Oh SNAP!" from me DF!

And yeah, BHS, I'd say it's too late to worry about offending people or coming off as a snob!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results