shape
carat
color
clarity

What is your biggest Fear???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think clock beetles are cockroaches? They don''t have those big long feelers on their heads. I''m unsure if they fly, that''s why I was wondering.

I saw my first cockroach at a Summer job I had in the States once upon a time, and I was so curious about it. All the people in the office thought it was hilarious that I''d never seen a cockroach before! Cuts both ways though - they were all baffled by the concept of coal, they''d never seen a piece of coal. Wanted me to get some posted over from home so they could see! Can you imagine trying to describe coal?

"Is it true it''s black?"
"Yes. Oh, wait, no. It''s kind of black with a blue sheen. And sometimes red. Oh I don''t know!"
"Is it true it''s hard?"
"Yes. Oh, wait, no. It''s got a kind of a dusty coating on it. But it is hard. Oh I don''t know!"
"Is it true it''s dirty?"
"Yes. It comes off on your hands. Very messy!"
"But you said it was hard? How does it rub off on you if it''s hard?"
"OH I DON''T KNOW!!!"

Skippy - apologies for the threadjack
35.gif

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
OMG Lorelei I would have screamed.

They actually have glue like underside and when they attach to your body they are the dickens to get off. I know someone who got one attacked to their eye OMG freaks me out at the thought. The one that got me got me on the forehead, same night just before hand I sliced a chunk out of my heel on my neighbors steel gate fence... not a good night.

Daddylonglegs aren''t too bad huntsmen are worse they can grow bigger then your hand while not poisonous are just freaking scary. I had one run under my computer desk the other night I freaked out and sat on my chair with my legs tucked underneath me until BF came down, he laughed
29.gif
NOT HAPPY JAN.

Visual of a huntsman see scary

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 7:59:38 AM
Author: Delster
I don''t think clock beetles are cockroaches? They don''t have those big long feelers on their heads. I''m unsure if they fly, that''s why I was wondering.

I saw my first cockroach at a Summer job I had in the States once upon a time, and I was so curious about it. All the people in the office thought it was hilarious that I''d never seen a cockroach before! Cuts both ways though - they were all baffled by the concept of coal, they''d never seen a piece of coal. Wanted me to get some posted over from home so they could see! Can you imagine trying to describe coal?

''Is it true it''s black?''

''Yes. Oh, wait, no. It''s kind of black with a blue sheen. And sometimes red. Oh I don''t know!''

''Is it true it''s hard?''

''Yes. Oh, wait, no. It''s got a kind of a dusty coating on it. But it is hard. Oh I don''t know!''

''Is it true it''s dirty?''

''Yes. It comes off on your hands. Very messy!''

''But you said it was hard? How does it rub off on you if it''s hard?''

''OH I DON''T KNOW!!!''

Skippy - apologies for the threadjack
35.gif

LMAO that''s hilarious

Nope cockroaches are completely different and yes they fly as well, seriously come down under you will see quite a few in the summer months

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
1. Paralyzing fear of flying. No clue why. I have be drugged to even go into the airport. While waiting to essentially pass out, I can''t face the windows. Even if I''m only going to pick someone up or drop them off, I''m on the verge of panic.

2. Would have to be suddenly losing everything and being homeless. Apparently doctors have doen studies about this- tons of women especially have this fear, even ones that are completely secure. It''s been called "Bag Lady Syndrome."

A few years ago I got stuck in an elevator. I was going to a friend''s apartment in NYC and it got stuck. She lived in a real nice building so it had a glass wall to the outside. I had my cell so I could call her and tell her that I was stuck, had my discman and a book with me so I was good. Only thing the sun started shining in and boy it got hot in there.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Okay that Huntsman is creepy. I''m not afraid of them necessarily, but I would never in a million years be the one to dispose of it. I can''t swat em, can''t pick em up to let them outside, can''t even trap em under a bowl. If they are still I am fine, but if they start walking - especially if it''s quickly - that''s when I scurry back with the willies.

This may sound irrational or whiney, but my biggest fear is meeting the guy I''m supposed to be with the rest of my life after settling for Mr. Good Enough just so I had time to have children.

And needles. I have to give my dog a shot twice a day which doesn''t really bother me. Or shots at the dentist don''t bother me. But when the doctor has to EXTRACT blood from me or like donating blood. Can''t handle it. Woosy, weak, nausea, sometimes shaking...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am also afraid of heights

HATE rollercoaters now, used to love them. Worry the bolts will come loose, hate ferris wheels, hate elevators that are older or make a big shudder as you move because they can fall

A lot of this stuff came on as I had kids, hate things and have fear of things I used to love since I was more risk taking.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2008 8:00:16 AM
Author: Deelight
OMG Lorelei I would have screamed.

They actually have glue like underside and when they attach to your body they are the dickens to get off. I know someone who got one attacked to their eye OMG freaks me out at the thought. The one that got me got me on the forehead, same night just before hand I sliced a chunk out of my heel on my neighbors steel gate fence... not a good night.

Daddylonglegs aren''t too bad huntsmen are worse they can grow bigger then your hand while not poisonous are just freaking scary. I had one run under my computer desk the other night I freaked out and sat on my chair with my legs tucked underneath me until BF came down, he laughed
29.gif
NOT HAPPY JAN.

I did scream my head off!!!!!!!!!!! Attached to the eye????? OMG - I would faint. Nothing surer.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
Anything happening to my son.

jas

Brilliant_Rock
Such a wonderful and interesting thread!

Actually, very little scares me to paralysis or a good scream...although I would not exactly choose to dine with the daddy longlegeseseses or the rodentia. My nickname growing up was "Lil Fearless"

However, since my car accident in November, I am terrified of driving on the highway, terrified of driving next to big trucks, and quite terrified of driving too close to the median. Of course, yesterday I had to pick up DH at the airport at night and drove many miles on highway that was under construction, with trucks in the next lane squeezing me over toward the median. Making it worse were the gazillion reflector lights that the highway people put up...I felt like I was in some weird video game.

When I arrived I was drenched in sweat and cursing like a longshoreman. What a greeting DH got.
9.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I got trapped in an elevator once. I was dropping off housekeys and then running off to the airport to fly to Berlin for the summer, I was already REALLY late to get to the airport. And then the elevator stopped between floors. There were about two feet to wriggle out of...but. So I pressed the emergency button, and 20 minutes later, handsome firemen arrived and freed me! I blew them all a kiss thanked them and ran out the door.

It was rather romantic actually. I have a thing for firemen.

Plus, I made my flight.

So I guess it wasn''t so bad.

I actually love spiders. I even have a field guide to them so I can identify which is which on my balcony. Now that''s not to say that I want them ON me, but I like to look at them from a safe distance.

I think my greatest fear is torture. I''m pretty sure I could handle most things that might come my way in life, but the idea of torture - not just the pain but even more than that, the HUMILIATION of being treated that way by another human being. That would be worse than death for me for sure.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

To add to mine, which also does include heights and trapped in crowded elevators.....

...that I''ll have to eat my MIL cooking
14.gif

....clowns....and carnies (ala Mike Meyers)

2.gif
9.gif
11.gif

cheers--Sharon

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 8:00:16 AM
Author: Deelight

29.gif
NOT HAPPY JAN.

AAAACK! YUCK YUCK YUCK make it go away! Yes, spiders would be my other fear ever since two fell onto me from a low hanging branch while I was in a canoe with my parents. Anything even remotely spider-like wigs me out (except for crabs, crabs are cool. And yummy.)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To add to this interesting convo, I let wee meeces mices run over my boots now and then! Bless!
41.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a fear of dying the way my granny did. She was paralysed after a stroke and couldn''t move her entire body but her brain was perfect so she was really trapped in her body until she died. It was a long, awful death. The fear of losing D, my family, friends, Raffles and Amber are probably my biggest ones also.

And then my biggest day to day fear is Tomato Ketchup. Just the thought of it touching my skin makes me want to cry

Delster

Ideal_Rock
OK now this is bugging me. Are daddylonglegses a type of spider or are they a fly? I think they're a fly?

(I am not clicking on that 'huntsman' link. No waaaay.)

ETA -

Aw bee I'm so sorry about your Granny. That is awful but I'm sure you did your best to comfort her.

I have nothing to say about the ketchup!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 10:37:14 AM
OK now this is bugging me. Are daddylonglegses a type of spider or are they a fly? I think they''re a fly?

(I am not clicking on that ''huntsman'' link. No waaaay.)

ETA -

Aw bee I''m so sorry about your Granny. That is awful but I''m sure you did your best to comfort her.

I have nothing to say about the ketchup!

We actually weren''t allowed into see her as my parent''s thought it would upset her too much. I wish we had been allowed into the hospital.

I just googled fear of tomato ketchup and I''m glad to see that I''m not alone in my fear
36.gif
A lot of people have it worse than me though-some people can''t eat in restaurants for fear of it. I told D on one of our first dates that I have the biggest fear of ketchup and he thought that it would be hilarious to put some on my hand-after the freakout that happened when he did that, he''s never done it again
9.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I thought I had only one big fear, but after reading all the fears of others, I can relate to so many! Scary.

My biggest fear is having a stroke which leaves my brain functioning well, but cripples my body, making speech impossible AND having to go to a nursing home as a result. I had an uncle who went through this very thing and he was kept alive for years....

Something terrible happening to DH, our kids or grandgirls...

Having to go to any nursing home anywhere for any reason other than visiting someone unlucky enough to be there.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, I have so many real phobias I cannot answer the question or read the responses here. I tried, but started getting triggered all over the place. I have already faced some major fears like losing my parents, and being left just a breath away from homeless with 2 kids to look after, and the idea that if that happened, we''d also have to give our dogs away. So I think I''ll just wait to see whatever I have to deal with in the future, and not worry about it now thanks.
25.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 11:49:25 AM
Author: lyra
You know, I have so many real phobias I cannot answer the question or read the responses here. I tried, but started getting triggered all over the place. I have already faced some major fears like losing my parents, and being left just a breath away from homeless with 2 kids to look after, and the idea that if that happened, we'd also have to give our dogs away. So I think I'll just wait to see whatever I have to deal with in the future, and not worry about it now thanks.
25.gif
lyra I don't know if you'll come back to check this but I wanted to tell you that this is inspiring!
36.gif

bee is tomato sauce a trigger as well or is it just ketchup specifically? What about tomato pureé? Thank goodness you're not as badly affected as some of the people you read about, that sounds awful.

And I'm sure your Granny knew how much you loved her and could feel it. I never said goodbye to my Nana and it hurts but someone reminded me once that she knew I loved her and she can still feel it every day now that I love her. It helped.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I have a few odd ones
Lightning - I am terrified of lightning. When I was younger, I watched lightning hit a tree next to many people I knew. The tree exploded out, and over 10 people were injured. I''ve never been the same. I honestly used to hide in the closet under pillows and blankets. I still have to go into a room with no windows when it is close.
Loud noises - I was in therapy as a young child for this. Balloons, Thunder, Fire Alarms, drums, anything loud. I''ve learned to control it, and I think it is related to my ears and hearing being very sensitive (I can hear dog whistles), but I still can''t do balloons, unless they are the non pop kind.
The Ocean- I LOVE the ocean, I love the sound, the smell, being on the beach, and hearing the waves. But I am absolutely TERRIFIED Of being IN the ocean. I''m afraid of what I can''t see, and afraid of being carried away. I''ll only go as far as I can comfortably, stand, otherwise I won''t go farther. I''m so afraid of swimming in the ocean. Coral reefs are ok, as long as there is a boat near, I love to snorkle over the reefs, but when there are strong tides, waves, or water I can''t see in, no way.
Roaches (duh)

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I thought of another one. And, it comes with an entertaining story.

My best friend (who I used to work with) is terrified of midgets (sorry for not being PC, I don''t mean any offense) It''s a fear she''s had since she was a child and she hasn''t outgrown it in the slightest. I''m not just talking uncomfortable, but the "OMG!" and leaving the area kind of fear.

I''m afraid (although that''s not quite the right word) of nuns in large numbers. I''m not Catholic, I can''t say I''ve really been around many nuns, and if there''s only one-I''m fine. I have no idea why it freaks me out.

So, one day my friend and I headed out to lunch. We''re sitting there minding our business, eating lovely ceasar salads, when I look out the window. A very plain blue car pulls up. I''m slightly intrigued by the blandness of the vehicle. No tint, no chrome, etc. As I''m watching, A midget wearing a habit jumps out of the car. My heart kind of skips a beat. Then, another little person in her nun''s attire gets out. okay, I think, this is going to be bad. Then another hops out! At this time, I see that they''re coming directly into our restaurant. I start shuffling my things together as my friend glances behind her. We didn''t have to say one word to each other, we just laid money down and headed to the door! We do not speak of that day.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
My computer not being fixed (just for now) is my biggest fear...

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 12:44:54 PM

bee is tomato sauce a trigger as well or is it just ketchup specifically? What about tomato pureé? Thank goodness you''re not as badly affected as some of the people you read about, that sounds awful.

And I''m sure your Granny knew how much you loved her and could feel it. I never said goodbye to my Nana and it hurts but someone reminded me once that she knew I loved her and she can still feel it every day now that I love her. It helped.

I don''t mind tomato pure at all-just ketchup. I actually love tomatos also. It''s just when it goes into a bottle with lots of sugar and other things and is called ketchup, I freak
14.gif

Thanks for that about my Granny. It does hurt never having the proper chance to say goodbye to her and what bugs me is that the night before she had her initial stroke, I was meant to go see her with my dad but I got home late and my dad had already left
7.gif
I hope that she can feel that I love her still! Sorry to hear that you didn''t get a chance to say goodbye to your granny either.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/22/2008 1:34:48 PM
Author: somethingshiny
Okay, I thought of another one. And, it comes with an entertaining story.

My best friend (who I used to work with) is terrified of midgets (sorry for not being PC, I don''t mean any offense) It''s a fear she''s had since she was a child and she hasn''t outgrown it in the slightest. I''m not just talking uncomfortable, but the ''OMG!'' and leaving the area kind of fear.

I''m afraid (although that''s not quite the right word) of nuns in large numbers. I''m not Catholic, I can''t say I''ve really been around many nuns, and if there''s only one-I''m fine. I have no idea why it freaks me out.

So, one day my friend and I headed out to lunch. We''re sitting there minding our business, eating lovely ceasar salads, when I look out the window. A very plain blue car pulls up. I''m slightly intrigued by the blandness of the vehicle. No tint, no chrome, etc. As I''m watching, A midget wearing a habit jumps out of the car. My heart kind of skips a beat. Then, another little person in her nun''s attire gets out. okay, I think, this is going to be bad. Then another hops out! At this time, I see that they''re coming directly into our restaurant. I start shuffling my things together as my friend glances behind her. We didn''t have to say one word to each other, we just laid money down and headed to the door! We do not speak of that day.
LMAO - you made that up!
2.gif
2.gif
2.gif

alexandrite_lover

Rough_Rock
Well...I am a pilot (not-commercial, though), so no fear of heights here, but an everlasting crave for them. However, I am deathly afraid of salamanders (B-F loves to do deep hiking-so, as you can imagine- he sometimes has to carry me
32.gif
) Also, being trapped in the cockpit-or something happening to my jet''s engine)

In order:

1. Salamanders
2. Trapped in cockpit
3. Needles being put in me-although am in med-school- with patients it''s totally different-it''s my calling
4. Something happening to family or B-F.
5. Terrorist attack.
6. I''ll keep thinking....TBA

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great thread Skippy.

My biggest fears.

1. Something happening to my hubby or my grand-boys.
2. Heights
3. Drowning, I will never swim in the ocean.

This one is for Caroline (Diamondfan) Having my horrible mother-in-law, coming and live with us. It will never happen, but it is still a fear of mine. Blah!!!
14.gif

Linda

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My biggest fear? Turning into my mother.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ellen,

That is a good point!!!!!

Linda

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/22/2008 2:25:26 PM
Author: alexandrite_lover
Well...I am a pilot (not-commercial, though), so no fear of heights here, but an everlasting crave for them. However, I am deathly afraid of salamanders (B-F loves to do deep hiking-so, as you can imagine- he sometimes has to carry me
32.gif
) Also, being trapped in the cockpit-or something happening to my jet''s engine)

In order:

1. Salamanders
2. Trapped in cockpit
3. Needles being put in me-although am in med-school- with patients it''s totally different-it''s my calling
4. Something happening to family or B-F.
5. Terrorist attack.
6. I''ll keep thinking....TBA
* threadjack* how incredible must that be, to be able to fly....

daydream believer

Rough_Rock
Oooh this thread is giving me the creepy crawlies!

Aside from fear of my loved ones being in any kind of harm or danger, I am terrified of 2 things:

1) Being chased - even if its by a family member around my house my heart starts racing and I freak out. My dad used to chase me up the stairs when I was little and he stopped once he realized how INCREDIBLY scared of it I am. My bf has yet to truly catch on and still thinks its funny.

2) Leeches - Whenever I go swimming in a lake or river, I can''t get the thought of leeches stuck to my feet out of my head. Yuck!
40.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results