shape
carat
color
clarity

What is this SCARINESS in my diamond that I thought I loved?? PIC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kristie

Shiny_Rock
Ok, so after finally finding my perfect diamond.....it came, I inspected it, had it appraised, etc. I decided to purchase it.
It is an SI2 but only has three very long twinning wisps. They are pretty much invisible in I would say....50% of lighting so I went ahead and purchased it, had it set, etc. After less than 24 hours of wearing it, I hate it because the twinning wisps turn BLACK in the other 50% of lighting situations. Would anyone but me see them? Perhaps....perhaps not. However EVERY single time I look at my hand, instead of feeling happy that a gorgeous diamond is on my finger and that it represents the love between me and my fiance, I instantly zoom in on the dark twinning wisps.....they look like a trail of soot on the diamond. The problem is that at the appraiser I was only able to view it in a couple types of lighting of course and that was how I decided to go for it.....now that it has been out and about on my hand in different situations/environments, the twinning wisps are VERY obvious because they turn black.

I seriously feel sick and want to just cry.

My former diamond was an SI2 and I had no issues with it....so it is not necessary that I have to have a VS diamond.

I also was able to download photos of it and realize even more how much this diamond is just not for me.....it was supposed to be our upgrade for the next 10 years at least
8.gif

Any thoughts on WHY these wisps are BLACK?? Everything I have read indicated twinning wisps are usually the best inclusions to have because they are white for the most part.

Here are the stats on it:
GIA 2.68 ct.
9.02 x 9.08 x 5.47mm
G color...closer to an F though
SI2
Cut: Very Good
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good

Depth: 60.4
Table: 56
Crown angle: 35
Pavilion angle: 40.8
Lower star: 85
Girdle: Very Thin-Medium (faceted)(Only "very thin" in 4 very small places)
Fluor: Faint
HCA: 1.4

210030-01a.jpg

kristie

Shiny_Rock
Another pic.....

210030-01aa.jpg

kristie

Shiny_Rock
From the side you can even see it........

210030-01b.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry, that would drive me nuts to look at every day. Can you exchange it?

kristie

Shiny_Rock
I do not know if I can return or exchange it.....I do not know what I will do if I cannot
7.gif
I should find out tomorrow AM.
I picked up the ring the other day, went on a short trip out of town to a concert and the whole time all I thought about was, "Can I seriously live with this black looking soot/dust in 50% of lighting?" The answer is no......today I decided, I just cannot. I am really bummed.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry
7.gif

That''s the danger of SI2s in larger sizes... if you go in with the wrong expectations you''re pretty much guaranteed to be disappointed.

Can you exchange?

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Are you freaking out because you can see the inclusions on your hand, or because you can see them in the photos? Those are two very different things.

Personally, and this is only my personal preference, I wouldn''t be happy and mind clean with twinning wisps in a ring stone. That would be most true if I could see them in any common lighting with the naked eye. Would I care if they were in my stud earrings? Absolutely not! Ring?...er..not so much.

kristie

Shiny_Rock
^^^I am freaking out because I can see them clearly on my hand. If it was just in the photos, I would not care at all.....I am with you that it would not be a big deal if they were earrings....but this is my e-ring and it is supposed to be around for a long time
2.gif
When I look at it, all I think about is those black sooty trails on it....

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Ohhhh Kristie, I''m so sorry. That really is beyond the mind clean issue. If you can see that they are impacting the performance of your stone, then you may have to return it. Do you have time to return it? It sounds like you do. There are many SI2''s out there with less noticeable inclusions.

Some inclusions give the stone it''s own unique identity. But if they go black and you can''t be at peace with it...well then...you need to do something about it. Yanno?

kristie

Shiny_Rock
^^ITA.
I am just hoping I can at least exchange it, if not get a refund....it has only been a few days since I bought it. Most good dealers will offer return or exchange for 30 days. It really will drive me insane....no doubt. It is SUCH a pretty sparkly diamond too. If those darn black wisps were not there, it would be beyond perfect
7.gif

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Sorry.
39.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2010 12:24:29 AM
Author: kristie
^^ITA.
I am just hoping I can at least exchange it, if not get a refund....it has only been a few days since I bought it. Most good dealers will offer return or exchange for 30 days. It really will drive me insane....no doubt. It is SUCH a pretty sparkly diamond too. If those darn black wisps were not there, it would be beyond perfect
7.gif
Kristie I am so sorry it turned out this way.....You did your homework and got Nancy Stacy to evaluate it so you did everything right, see if you can get an exchange or refund. SI2 in big stones like these aren''t always eyeclean as you know, but maybe another SI2 might be better or a higher clarity grade.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Kristie,

Ditto to all the advice you have received above.

Do not worry however: You have realised that you clearly do not like an important aspect of your diamond, even after doing the necessary homework in your selection, and even after running it through a serious appraisal. This happens, in the end, all the rejections that finally lead to a selection do not guarantee that this selection is right.

Any decent vendor will not have a problem with you returning the stone, especially if you are fast in your feedback. Therefore, I suggest that you start the process as quickly as possible by informing your vendor. In the meantime, do not panic.

Live long,

kristie

Shiny_Rock
*sigh* I have heard nothing back but crickets......I am just sick to my stomach and no one is responding so that this can be resolved
7.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where did you buy the diamond?

cara

Ideal_Rock
kristie, it is what it is. This SI stone is not for you.

Sometimes I think on ps that the possibility of SI''s having visible inclusions is not given appropriate weight. Yes people always mention it but it is also usually taken as a given that one can find an eye-clean SI stone. Eye-clean SI2 stones over 2.5 cts are not going to be as common and, well, eye-clean really depends on the person. And sometimes it can take awhile for a person to realize something is not eye-clean enough for them. Good thing you have discovered this early and can hopefully get a refund now. I can regularly see the inclusions in my apx. 1 ct SI stone now, and it makes me hesitant to consider SI for future purchases esp. if I am every lucky enough to upgrade to a much larger size. Even though most bystanders under most viewing conditions will only see sparkle.

kristie

Shiny_Rock
Maisie....I would like to not publicly state who the vendor was until I can get this resolved....hopefully with a happy ending. I just feel it is more professional and respectful that way KWIM?

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 3:48:36 PM
Author: cara
kristie, it is what it is. This SI stone is not for you.

Sometimes I think on ps that the possibility of SI''s having visible inclusions is not given appropriate weight. Yes people always mention it but it is also usually taken as a given that one can find an eye-clean SI stone. Eye-clean SI2 stones over 2.5 cts are not going to be as common and, well, eye-clean really depends on the person. And sometimes it can take awhile for a person to realize something is not eye-clean enough for them. Good thing you have discovered this early and can hopefully get a refund now. I can regularly see the inclusions in my apx. 1 ct SI stone now, and it makes me hesitant to consider SI for future purchases esp. if I am every lucky enough to upgrade to a much larger size. Even though most bystanders under most viewing conditions will only see sparkle.
Agree with every word.

Kristie- Hopefully the vendor will allow a return, or at least an exchange.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I understand completely.
1.gif

How long have you waited for a response from the vendor? Did you email? Maybe try calling instead.

kristie

Shiny_Rock
^^I will give them until the end of today to email me back......if not, I will have to call tomorrow....I do not want to wait too long and hear, "Oh you should have told us sooner, we never got your emails."

I am just so sick and stressed over this and when no one is responsive to emails (when they instantly are BEFORE you purchase) it does not instill feelings of security. It puts you into panic mode.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I''d just call immediately. I''ve had many jewelers- very reputable ones- not respond to email. Stuff happens. A person on the phone is much less difficult to ignore!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 4:03:34 PM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
I''d just call immediately. I''ve had many jewelers- very reputable ones- not respond to email. Stuff happens. A person on the phone is much less difficult to ignore!

I agree. It will put your mind at rest.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2010 4:01:34 PM
^^I will give them until the end of today to email me back......if not, I will have to call tomorrow....I do not want to wait too long and hear, ''Oh you should have told us sooner, we never got your emails.''

I am just so sick and stressed over this and when no one is responsive to emails (when they instantly are BEFORE you purchase) it does not instill feelings of security. It puts you into panic mode.
Telephone them Kristie, much better than waiting around for email responses.

kristie

Shiny_Rock
Just spoke with them on the phone......nope, cannot return it for a refund and can only exchange if THEY sell mine to someone else for a "Price that cannot be refused."

So, that means it will be a few thousand dollar loss if they resell it for me and I get a partial refund. Additionally, they will not refund my credit card fees either.....another few hundred dollars.

This is sooooo sickening and I am being made to feel like the guilty party for not liking it after I paid for it....

EDIT: They will return it less about $4000 from what we paid....and I walk away. Or, they can locate another one and hopefully I won't lose "as much."

I want to cry.....especially because of the guilty connotations that are being placed on me like it is my fault
7.gif
After this much money, I should not be feeling this way.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow. Is this a PS vendor? Can you tell us who it is now?

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 5:18:32 PM
Just spoke with them on the phone......nope, cannot return it for a refund and can only exchange if THEY sell mine to someone else for a ''Price that cannot be refused.''

So, that means it will be a few thousand dollar loss if they resell it for me and I get a partial refund. Additionally, they will not refund my credit card fees either.....another few hundred dollars.

This is sooooo sickening.
Wow, I am so sorry. I went back to your past posts and you just bought this diamond on Fe. 10th, correct? That''s not that far back, what is the vendors return policy?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 5:26:04 PM
Author: Maisie
Wow. Is this a PS vendor? Can you tell us who it is now?
The diamond''s still in the PS database
2.gif
(or at least I think it is. . .)

kristie

Shiny_Rock
February.... Read the last few posts I made.....it goes into the "return policy" or lack thereof
39.gif

Chase035

Shiny_Rock
Please reveal the vendor''s name when this is all said and done if you are not satisfied with their response. This is completely unacceptable business practice, regardless of whether or not it is common in the jewelry business. We live in a global marketing age. Poor practices like this are unacceptable. I would demand that you speak with the person''s manager. Don''t accept that answer.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2010 5:18:32 PM
Just spoke with them on the phone......nope, cannot return it for a refund and can only exchange if THEY sell mine to someone else for a ''Price that cannot be refused.''

This is sooooo sickening and I am being made to feel like the guilty party for not liking it after I paid for it....

EDIT: They will return it less about $4000 from what we paid....and I walk away. Or, they can locate another one and hopefully I won''t lose ''as much.''

I want to cry.....especially because of the guilty connotations that are being placed on me like it is my fault
7.gif
After this much money, I should not be feeling this way.
Oh, that''s just wrong of them
38.gif
Who is the vendor?

Reading back your previous posts, the includions were definitely on your radar as a concern. That being said, I don''t know anyone who can view a diamond is every possible lighting situation, so I can see how you wouldn''t really see how bad the inclusions were until now.

I did just read what their offer was on your return. My point was, you haven''t had the diamond that long, how bad is the vendors return policy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results