shape
carat
color
clarity

What is it about diamonds?

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
Ok, so, I don't want this to be a controversial thread. I just want to know, why diamonds? (over other white, sparkly, durable stones).

For me personally, I have moissanite and CZ jewellery as well as diamond jewellery. And I honestly can't say why I prefer diamond. I think partly it is longevity; also because it is 'natural'; and also because I just like how it performs. And I do think that the cost (ie, it is more expensive and therefore more 'luxurious') plays a part.

So, why diamonds for you personally?

You know, I’ve never thought about it before. I do like how diamond performs and the luxury/rarity/longevity aspect of it, as you do. CZ just seems... flat, I don’t know. And moissanite to me doesn’t look all that much like diamond. Maybe I haven’t seen very good examples of either. I have a few pieces - especially for travel they come in very handy - but on the whole I prefer diamond, and I’ve never stopped to think why.

Estrella185

Rough_Rock
I think we have all come to associate diamonds with love and romance. The fact that they sparkle and are pretty to look at is just a bonus. :mrgreen:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diamond is hard enough not to get scratched up by dust, tough enough to last a long time for most people, and some what but not to rare, sparky rock backed up by decades of marketing and tradition.
or
It just looks kewl and has a good story.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I have always loved sparkly things. I love all gem stones but diamonds... I think for me it's their performance/characteristics that attracts me. They are also a luxury item and who doesn't love those? I don't however prize them for being 'natural' as I have lab stones too, and they are mucho sparkly also. There are other gems that are rarer and more expensive, but I can't help but want a diamond the most.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because we are all sheep of marketing. Lol. No. I know that’s what many perceive of us diamond lovers and yet, here’s my story. I really fell in love with diamonds when my then BFF got hers and I would see it on her finger daily. It was just so captivating. Then hubby got me mine but realizing that it didn’t perform like hers, I found PS. And the obsession and research and quest began. And it turns out that not all diamonds are created equal. The 4 c’s matter and finding the right balance for me was a journey in and of itself. I mean yeah, if you are a millionaire you can just by a ring like Beyoncé’s but most of us have to find the right balance. So after many trials and tribulations, I value the experience and the result of this quest, every time I look down at what I consider my holy grail ring— which is every second of every day, lol. Who is to say that I would not have fallen for a cubic or moissy if my then BFF had been modeling those for me back then—or maybe others had and I just never really noticed them. Besides my ring, I enjoy the quest of finding diamonds in the rough. It would be super easy and expensive to just pick out ideal cut stones from certain vendors, but I enjoy the thrill of the chase of estate shopping, pawn shopping, eBay, etc. Somehow it seems like an accomplishment to add another unique beauty to my collection and for whatever reason—if that piece has excellent diamonds—I appreciate it even more. I realize many make the argument that diamonds are not rare—but I’ll tell you this—great diamonds are! And snagging those at a great price, even more rare!

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you read certain articles it’s because we are easily influenced and manipulated.

For me it’s more about a feeling the diamonds evoke. Romance and old world charm. I’m hooked. ❤️

My love affair started with my grandmother’s ring. It made my heart go flip flop. And that’s the beginning of my love story with old cut diamonds.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI

And

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Diamonds aren't my favorite. (yeah, yeah, flame away) I like that they're durable and crisp looking and matches outfits easily, but I LOVE my spessartite garnet, medium (not light) merelani garnet, red-pink spinels, and windex blue tourmalines and zircons. Those particular colors make me swoon and even better if they're combined in one piece. In fact I'm working on one right now lol.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds aren't my favorite. (yeah, yeah, flame away) I like that they're durable and crisp looking and matches outfits easily, but I LOVE my spessartite garnet, medium (not light) merelani garnet, red-pink spinels, and windex blue tourmalines and zircons. Those particular colors make me swoon and even better if they're combined in one piece. In fact I'm working on one right now lol.

I totally get it. There’s something magical and mesmerizing about colored gemstones.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

No flames! Just lots of offers to help take your diamonds off your hands. lol. How did you become such an avid collector of diamonds if they aren’t your favorite? I’m so intrigued!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
No flames! Just lots of offers to help take your diamonds off your hands. lol. How did you become such an avid collector of diamonds if they aren’t your favorite? I’m so intrigued!

I'm greedy, I'm an avid collector of everything! For diamonds, I prefer old cuts and I like them to match, so it's been a hobby the past 10 years to put together sets that match in size, pattern, color, and performance. Not only do they need to match when they're flat in a case, they need to scintillate the same when they move. I've gone through a LOT of diamonds to get these matched sets, because you know I'm cheap and won't pay retail so I pay with my time. Currently waiting for one last diamond to return from GIA and I will be able to start my bangle project. It'll have 7-9 stones between 0.8-1.26ct, all GIA J-K. Once bangle is completed, I'll start the cluster with a 1.84ct H VS1 oec and 4mm H/I oecs. Then reset my big oec and I'll be more or less done with diamonds.

My diamond pieces aren't even that out of control, the gems are so much worse. When I see a well priced gem with good saturation, it's added to the cart. I have 5 spess between 3-9.99ct, because I cannot control myself when there are orange gems dangling in front of me. For over 1.5ct, there are about 10 tsavs and mints, ~10 mahenge spinels, ~20 tourmalines in various colors, ~15 zircons. Lost count of all the ones under 1ct. I have 6-7 rounds spinels and garnets cut by Barry between 6-7mm in pink/lavender/violet, and they're all going to go into a big mosaic type pendant in RG with 2-4.5mm oecs filling the space. Also working on another pendant project with a 3.5ct merelani trillion, 3.3ct spessartite trillion, 1.8ct mahenge spinel trillion and one of the zircons. That one's giving me a headache, the design hasn't inspired me yet, but maybe round/oval blue in center, orange and green trillion on sides, hot pink trillion on bottom, kinda reverse lotus? Oh and the 9.99 spess is going into a collet type ring, it's 11.5x11.25 so a halo would be overkill.

I blame my mom for giving me a diamond for high school graduation. Didn't get to play with it till way after college. Learning about that one diamond led me to Pricescope in 2004. She created a monster. :lol-2:

L

lydial

I am a rock hound. I think my obsession with pebbles, shells etc started in kindergarten. My parents took me to the Smithsonian in 3rd grade and the gem and mineral collection blew me away, and I always wanted gems in my life after that. I love that the earth made diamonds and humans learned to make them into cut gemstones. This is why diamond color doesn’t bother me. I don’t need a pure white diamond. I like the history and mystery behind diamonds. And they are beautiful, romantic, and add a sense of luxury to a life that at times can feel mundane. I also collect art.

m51galaxy

Shiny_Rock
When I was a little girl I just loved my mother's diamond ring and have loved diamond rings ever since.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm greedy, I'm an avid collector of everything! For diamonds, I prefer old cuts and I like them to match, so it's been a hobby the past 10 years to put together sets that match in size, pattern, color, and performance. Not only do they need to match when they're flat in a case, they need to scintillate the same when they move. I've gone through a LOT of diamonds to get these matched sets, because you know I'm cheap and won't pay retail so I pay with my time. Currently waiting for one last diamond to return from GIA and I will be able to start my bangle project. It'll have 7-9 stones between 0.8-1.26ct, all GIA J-K. Once bangle is completed, I'll start the cluster with a 1.84ct H VS1 oec and 4mm H/I oecs. Then reset my big oec and I'll be more or less done with diamonds.

My diamond pieces aren't even that out of control, the gems are so much worse. When I see a well priced gem with good saturation, it's added to the cart. I have 5 spess between 3-9.99ct, because I cannot control myself when there are orange gems dangling in front of me. For over 1.5ct, there are about 10 tsavs and mints, ~10 mahenge spinels, ~20 tourmalines in various colors, ~15 zircons. Lost count of all the ones under 1ct. I have 6-7 rounds spinels and garnets cut by Barry between 6-7mm in pink/lavender/violet, and they're all going to go into a big mosaic type pendant in RG with 2-4.5mm oecs filling the space. Also working on another pendant project with a 3.5ct merelani trillion, 3.3ct spessartite trillion, 1.8ct mahenge spinel trillion and one of the zircons. That one's giving me a headache, the design hasn't inspired me yet, but maybe round/oval blue in center, orange and green trillion on sides, hot pink trillion on bottom, kinda reverse lotus? Oh and the 9.99 spess is going into a collet type ring, it's 11.5x11.25 so a halo would be overkill.

I blame my mom for giving me a diamond for high school graduation. Didn't get to play with it till way after college. Learning about that one diamond led me to Pricescope in 2004. She created a monster. :lol-2:

Wow! Just wow. Thanks for sharing!

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Ive asked myself the same question, why diamonds? Why do I prefer them over other types of jewelry? The way they sparkle in the sunlight always catches my eye and gives me such pleasure to watch! They can jazz up a casual outfit and bring sparkle to a dreary day. I’m just accepting that is how I was made!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Take a historical perspective when diamonds were only owned by Royalty. As the world and society slowly evolved there was a period where the upper classes began to also own diamonds. Banking systems were not for the public and where to put your money had many limitations. Real estate, business inventory, commodities like useful metals and their mines all were important places to create and store wealth.

Things further progressed and more middle class people, copying their affluent role models also sought out possessions of value, too. If you had extra money, where did you store it? What was an intelligent and safe choice. Among several limited options, there were precious metal jewelry and gemstones.

People found that when wars, famine, and persecution happened, that tens of thousands became refugees. Fleeing your home and giving up your real estate was necessary. However, if you had jewelry and gems, you might escape with substantial wealth sewn into your clothes or otherwise concealed. This became very evident ion the 1800's and 1900's which were filled with wars, revolutions and persecutions of many groups.

The fairly recent history of the past 200+ years had given many generations of people the idea that having some high value and extremely portable wealth made common sense. Such is still the case for some remote places, but banking and credit cards along with nearly universal access to everything online, have reduced the reasons for hoarding diamonds and jewelry for that "just in case" horrible moment where it is flee or die.

Such times are not that long ago. Emigres from Europe fled wars and harsh policies in the past two centuries and it left long lasting impressions on their children and grandchildren. We have basically left that group of generations in our past, but the reasons for having some things of high value that could transfer over to another country on the spur of the moment still exist, but just are not so clear to us now as they were 50 or 100 years ago.

It is quite true you can buy white sparkly gemstones that are man-made or lab created now which are totally visual equals of mined diamonds. However, what you spend for such Lab created "gems" is 100% gone. There is no meaningful second hand market for them beyond scrap metal for their mountings, for the most part. I don't think any dealer is busy creating an inventory of second hand Moissanite and doubt there will ever be a market of that sort. If I was a wealthy person I might own some Lab and man made gems, but I'd be sure to have some high value, mined diamonds in my get away bag, too. They are much lighter than a bag of old US dimes and quarters. You can hit the road with a lot of buying power that won't weigh you down when you take a few select diamonds with you. You can also pass them along to children and grandchildren outside the prying eyes of the tax man should you wish to take the chance. It seems a very low risk thing. I suppose a few get caught, but not many.

This is a much longer story than what I've written here. It goes back hundreds of years, but we are creatures of the present and so very influenced by marketing forces today that looking back for reasons often seems of less importance. Maybe this short, or not so short, response will give you a moment of deeper reflection. A balanced approach is often a better one.

We should understand the reasons beyond marketing that helped diamonds become so very broadly popular. It is not just smart marketing in a vacuum. It was marketing to an audience that believed in the value underlying the product because of historical understanding and the impact made on close relatives who told their families of how they made their escape from places that are now thought of only in history lessons. Diamonds do remain a storehouse of considerable value. There is no shortage of them, but the supply of diamonds in the earth and in existing jewelry and inventories is finite. Lab created will have a market, but never have any rarity that has any meaning. If you are spending a good deal of money for something, you might consider the long term portion of value which diamonds historically hold in the second hand market. The very rich are well aware and all of us should appreciate the situation which is not just based on strong marketing.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why not other stones: durability, sparkle, they match everything.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
For me it is a history of the diamond: whether it is a history when humans first decided diamonds are IT or a history of creation of the diamond. I like to know that I wear on my finger/wrists something that took millions of years for Earth to make. Pretty cool.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Sparkle. When I was little I would play with my gran's ring when no-one was looking. The diamonds are tiny but the flashes of colour had me hooked. As I write my response I realise that CZs also sparkle but I don't want CZs, I want diamonds and therein lies the pervasive effect of marketing.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
It all started with my grandmother. She loved diamonds, gold, and jewelry in general. She gave me a pair of diamond earrings when I was a young teen. They were the first diamonds I owned that I cherished so much but was unfortunately stolen by a maid who disappeared into thin air. That broke my heart. My grandmother influenced my love for diamonds and jewelry.

Jr3

Rough_Rock
I believe that a diamond showcases the beauty of Gods creation and handiwork (I know.. if that is my view every stone does...)
but, especially a flawless diamond cut to perfection:) Of course I also have bought into the marketing of a diamond=forever and love.. AND THE SPARKLE... cannot forget the sparkle, for me nothing else draws my eye like a diamond. Cz seems flat to me although I do not mind them either. I have not seen moissanite in person, and also enjoy red garnets, but they do not compare with diamonds in my humble opinion. I have not seen another stone that sparkles the same way or has that lovely glowey, whatever a diamond has especially in certain lights. :) just my own little 2 cents..and sorry about the lack of terminology/ description for how a diamond performs. :)
Have a wonderful day!!

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
Because we are all sheep of marketing. Lol. No. I know that’s what many perceive of us diamond lovers and yet, here’s my story. I really fell in love with diamonds when my then BFF got hers and I would see it on her finger daily. It was just so captivating. Then hubby got me mine but realizing that it didn’t perform like hers, I found PS. And the obsession and research and quest began. And it turns out that not all diamonds are created equal. The 4 c’s matter and finding the right balance for me was a journey in and of itself. I mean yeah, if you are a millionaire you can just by a ring like Beyoncé’s but most of us have to find the right balance. So after many trials and tribulations, I value the experience and the result of this quest, every time I look down at what I consider my holy grail ring— which is every second of every day, lol. Who is to say that I would not have fallen for a cubic or moissy if my then BFF had been modeling those for me back then—or maybe others had and I just never really noticed them. Besides my ring, I enjoy the quest of finding diamonds in the rough. It would be super easy and expensive to just pick out ideal cut stones from certain vendors, but I enjoy the thrill of the chase of estate shopping, pawn shopping, eBay, etc. Somehow it seems like an accomplishment to add another unique beauty to my collection and for whatever reason—if that piece has excellent diamonds—I appreciate it even more. I realize many make the argument that diamonds are not rare—but I’ll tell you this—great diamonds are! And snagging those at a great price, even more rare!

So many people say about marketing, and while I do acknowledge it probably has an impact, like you, that isn't the reason for me.

Love what you said re research, and how diamonds aren't rare, but good diamonds are. I have recently bought a marquise diamond engagement ring and boy oh boy was it hard to find what I wanted in terms of the stone! I also want an OEC or OMC but finding those in the specs I want (and at a price I am good with!) is even bloody harder!

I feel like a lot of people are just like 'ooh diamond!' and buy regardless of price and specs. That just isn't me lol

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
You know, I’ve never thought about it before. I do like how diamond performs and the luxury/rarity/longevity aspect of it, as you do. CZ just seems... flat, I don’t know. And moissanite to me doesn’t look all that much like diamond. Maybe I haven’t seen very good examples of either. I have a few pieces - especially for travel they come in very handy - but on the whole I prefer diamond, and I’ve never stopped to think why.

I agree re CZ. It sparkles, but not the same as a diamond. Plus it needs to be babied.

Moissanite I do like, but for me because it is 'cheap' it just doesn't feel the same. Kind of like having a perfectly decent pair of shoes from M&S that look and feel fab, but it isn't the same as the Manolos/JC/whatever that also look and feel fab but make you feel kind of 'elevated'/special.

I think we have all come to associate diamonds with love and romance. The fact that they sparkle and are pretty to look at is just a bonus. :mrgreen:

I don't so much associate them with romance as most I have I have bought myself lol. But I do understand this :)

Diamond is hard enough not to get scratched up by dust, tough enough to last a long time for most people, and some what but not to rare, sparky rock backed up by decades of marketing and tradition.
or
It just looks kewl and has a good story.

Yes I love how hardy it is. But then moissanite kinda is too, and I don't love that as much lol

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
I have always loved sparkly things. I love all gem stones but diamonds... I think for me it's their performance/characteristics that attracts me. They are also a luxury item and who doesn't love those? I don't however prize them for being 'natural' as I have lab stones too, and they are mucho sparkly also. There are other gems that are rarer and more expensive, but I can't help but want a diamond the most.

I get you! I would love an amazing sapphire, or ruby, or opal, they're beautiful. But they don't really 'sparkle', and I am a sucker for sparkle. I also like how diamonds 'go' with everything. I have limited funds (and will do for the next 10 years or so), so will likely build up a diamond collection first and then eventually maybe branch out into other stones.

If you read certain articles it’s because we are easily influenced and manipulated.

For me it’s more about a feeling the diamonds evoke. Romance and old world charm. I’m hooked. ❤

My love affair started with my grandmother’s ring. It made my heart go flip flop. And that’s the beginning of my love story with old cut diamonds.

I think marketing does play a part. That said, all the expensive items I own (eg bags, shoes, clothes) I didn't buy just for the label; I buy them because they are, IMO, superior to items I can get on the high street (in terms of materials, cut, fit, comfort, etc). I guess I feel the same about jewellery.

My friends did and still do have a dig, but the reality is I don't spend much more than them each year on clothing and accessories (ok, maybe double). The difference is I buy stuff that will last, and that I love; before any major purchase my question is, will this last 10 years?

I don't like throwaway fashion. The same goes for jewellery; I would rather save and get a nice piece that will last 20 years, than spend £40 a month on costume jewellery.

I will not flame! I love coloured stones, and have a list of those I would like. I do also have a fair few gemstone pieces (not the quality I would like, but I have citrine, amethyst, smoky quartz, emerald, topaz, etc). As I said though, I am an absolute sucker for bling, and diamonds are just so blingy!

barbie86

Shiny_Rock
Doesn't have as good a story.

Yeah I don't know about the story... I just don't love the performance as much (I mean, it looks COMPLETELY different IMO!). And I prize natural stones I think

barbie86

Shiny_Rock

My diamond pieces aren't even that out of control, the gems are so much worse. When I see a well priced gem with good saturation, it's added to the cart. I have 5 spess between 3-9.99ct, because I cannot control myself when there are orange gems dangling in front of me. For over 1.5ct, there are about 10 tsavs and mints, ~10 mahenge spinels, ~20 tourmalines in various colors, ~15 zircons. Lost count of all the ones under 1ct.

Ok I need pics, do you have a thread? These all sound amazing!

I also love old cut diamonds. Really want a large OEC/OMC with baguette sidestones at some point.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results