shape
carat
color
clarity

What is considered the country of manufacture?

Rough_Rock
Hi peep,

If a stone is from country A, but imported into country B and the ring is designed and set in country B...where the the ring considered to be manufactured?

I am trying to find out if my ring will be covered by NAFTA and be duty-free.

Thank you for your thoughts!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Maybe just tell us what country you're in and where you'll be buying the ring, and others who've done the same can tell you what kind of duties they paid.

Rough_Rock
I'm in the us, ring made in canada, cost is about 25k

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. B
2. CANADA

Example: Jame Allen in US makes a ring with a diamond from Canada (mined and cut). The country of manufacture of the ring is US. Duty free under NAFTA upon importing the ring into canada.

In your case, ensure the vendor/seller knows how to ship the ring properly to the US with all proper documentation under NAFTA. Actually, this is an important consideration when I choose a vendor.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not all countries are the same on this. You'll notice that a lot of diamonds come in packaging indicating that they are 'made in Israel'. Diamonds are mined and there are no mines in Israel. They're talking about the cutting, and US customs is ok with that. If some jeweler in the US makes a ring out of it and exports it, they label it 'Made in USA' for customs purposes, for the same reason. On the other hand, if someone exports a ruby from Myanmar (Burma) to, say, China where it's made into a ring and shipped to the US, it would be 'made in China', but it would still be covered under the US embargo against Myanmar. Clear as mud, eh? The only real answer is to talk to her majesty's customs revenuers. They set the rules, although I would expect your seller to be fairly familiar with the rules and would be a fairly good source. You can bet they've done this before.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results