shape
carat
color
clarity

What is a "GIA Gemologist"

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
On a weekend side note - Gemmology classically has two M's.
This will add at least 15.7 seconds to each working day- a colossal waste of time!! Throw it in the bin along with colour...kidding:)

@Modified Brilliant and @cflutist ...all kidding aside, how do you feel about the term "GIA Gemologist" being used to describe an employee who had earned a GG from GIa?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
how do you feel about the term "GIA Gemologist" being used to describe an employee who had earned a GG from GIA?
That implies the gemologist works at the GIA Gem trade Lab
What is wrong with GIA Graduate Gemologist?
Spade, not shovel

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If "GIA Gemologist" is not allowed, "GIA Graduate Gemologist" and "GIA G.G" should not be allowed, too, as it can mean "Graduate Gemologist/G.G working for GIA".

GIA Gemologist is just a simplified version of GIA Graduate Gemologist, without Graduate. I think it is acceptable, though it is not perfect.

Nobody is going to use "GIA trained Gemologist". For worse, it can be mis-used. A person who attend GIA program for a week and drops-out can call him/herself as GIA "trained" gemologist.

"GIA accredited Gemologist" can cause even more confusion. First, "Accredited" is often used for programs and institutions. Second, when someone/something is "accredited", it often requires continuous education, reviews, membership and licensing. But, once you earn G.G, you are a G.G. If someone is a "GIA Accredited Gemologist", I expect that person's credential is reviewed by GIA, maybe, once every 5 yrs. But that is not the case with G.G.

Furthermore, it appears that GIA is really careful and specific with the terms like "certified", and "accredited"

Good points @flyingpig .

Some may not know that the AGS CG (Certified Gemologist) title does require continuing education and an annual exam. It also requires a GIA GG as prerequisite.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I believe some consumers are not too sure what a "gemologist" actually does. It doesn't matter to them at all what you want to call yourself. Some in our industry, embellish their actual credentials while others enjoy alphabet soup after their name. I was once called a "germologist." I'm fine with that too.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@Modified Brilliant and @cflutist ...all kidding aside, how do you feel about the term "GIA Gemologist" being used to describe an employee who had earned a GG from GIa?

That's pretty accurate I would think, for an employee . GIA actually gives a few options on how you may title your designation.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good points @flyingpig .

Some may not know that the AGS CG (Certified Gemologist) title does require continuing education and an annual exam. It also requires a GIA GG as prerequisite.

We have the same down under for appraisers, they must have a FGAA and have done at least the diamond grading course (but not necessarily the Diploma of Diamond Technology) but sadly FGAA's have no need to keep up to date Bryan. And in the fast moving world of technology that is gem and diamond treatments and synthesis - that is nuts!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results