shape
carat
color
clarity

What happens if you heat a dark blue sapphire? Should I re-cut?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cat as color comparison is the best!

I kind of like dark moody stones. I look forward to seeing better pics of your new ring @newtojewels, it looks perfect for brooding on the moors among the heather.

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
Guys are so adorable in their oblivion sometimes. :lol: That furry photo is everything! ❤️ But the ring itself is quite beautiful in all its antique-looking glory. Congrats!! Hope you love it once you actually get to lay eyes on her. lol

So adorable! It looked promising in the video call, at least. He also put it on his pinky to model it for me so he definitely tried!

Cat as color comparison is the best!

I kind of like dark moody stones. I look forward to seeing better pics of your new ring @newtojewels, it looks perfect for brooding on the moors among the heather.

Yes, I think it looked better on the video call than in the photo at least! I'll post minimally better photos when I'm back - if only we were all as talented as Yssie!

I saw this ring and thought of you Mrs b!

I’m definitely on the tsav melee band wagon for this stone.

Yes, this is great! Something about the contrasting double halo really livens the dark stone up, I think. And then when the blue actually flashes blue, it'll be even more special!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry that it's ended up this way, I've been following along and it's really such a frustrating story.

I just got a ring with kind of dark stones from IVY New York that I think leans into the darkness in an edgy-pretty way. Sadly I'm traveling so my partner had to open the box when it arrived today and I'm stuck relying on a video call and one photo he took. I asked him for a comparison next to my cat and he makes even my photography look good!

Here's the one photo I have, not amazingly helpful:
1713841747043.png
Vendor photo which is probably more useful!
1713842018585.png
And a couple more for inspiration, I think these would look lovely with a dark and moody center stone:
1713842080587.png
1713842124945.png

Oh, @newtojewels! Men - you have to love them! Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em!

Looks really pretty, tho, and I appreciate your suggestions. I have a design in mind - largish diamond halo, platinum, milgrain on the shank, blackened antiquing on the milgrain. We'll see how it goes.

I'm currently doing my 40th anniversary ring with Amy, and a pair of earrings are coming down the pipeline at some point also, so this project will be done in the second half of this year, but probably not before.

I wish I still had the sapphire in my possession so I could take some photos and just spend more time with it. I might drive to DKJ and pick it up so I can give it some more thought. That might be the safe way forward.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw this ring and thought of you Mrs b!

I’m definitely on the tsav melee band wagon for this stone.

Yes! See, I LIKE this. I just wasn't able to get those flashes from my stone. When the light hit it *just right* - it was great. But I couldn't get anything out of it in any other light. I'm starting to think maybe that was me more than the stone, tho. So I'm going to go see Amy and get it back and spend more time with it.

But we are *definitely* going "big halo" on this one!

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
Oh, @newtojewels! Men - you have to love them! Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em!

Looks really pretty, tho, and I appreciate your suggestions. I have a design in mind - largish diamond halo, platinum, milgrain on the shank, blackened antiquing on the milgrain. We'll see how it goes.

I'm currently doing my 40th anniversary ring with Amy, and a pair of earrings are coming down the pipeline at some point also, so this project will be done in the second half of this year, but probably not before.

I wish I still had the sapphire in my possession so I could take some photos and just spend more time with it. I might drive to DKJ and pick it up so I can give it some more thought. That might be the safe way forward.

I think the blackened with white diamonds will be a perfect amount of edge to lean into the darkness! I think it makes sense to collect your stone again if it isn't a ridiculous hassle. Then you can see better how it plays in other lights, decide if you want to do a single halo or double, other colored stones, etc., etc. Whatever you decide will be lovely, though!

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
No help with the re-cut. But I want to say that I won a spinel from Alex Weber before. In the video, it looks bright and pinkish. When it arrived, it is a bit dark and brownish. But the cut is great, so I kept it and set it. However, I've told myself that I will not buy a gem based on one video again.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results