shape
carat
color
clarity

What factors cause OECs to have "bubbly" flowery facets?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at that flowery facets. It’s gorgeous!
Thanks! it has a lovely distinct flower under the table which makes me really happy.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
@Moonie just for you some videos :)

Oh my gaaaahhhh look at the perfect perfect contrasting facets. They are so very crisp :eek2: Also that is an incredibly white L! And also a 4 ct?!?! I'm drooling.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
oh- did you post a video or pic of it? I may have missed it...

Did you get from Alex??!
pls share!

I did! Here is the post with the video - https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-oec-is-almost-here.256833/#post-4742859 (the middle two videos are OECs I almost chose but ultimately didn't go with)

You can see the diamond unset (first video) and also in the new setting (although I told my boyfriend that I wanted to be surprised so the ring is IN THE HOUSE but I don't have it in my hands just yet).

I almost went with Old World Diamonds and very strongly considered Alex since he has some killer deals but I happened to go to Mark Broumand in LA and he had a beautiful OEC that I ended up loving and choosing. It's an 2.23 M VS1 and from what I remember has the beautiful flowery facet that I wanted!

This is my whole story too: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-mvs1-oec-from-mark-broumand.255916/

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, table and depth really isn't enough to determine the look. Just a tiny change in upper/lower half and angle can change everything. I've seen an oec with 60% depth with beautiful petals and another 60% depth with terrible girdle reflection, even though both had similar table sizes and no girdle. There are so many factor I really just go with my eyes. If I can get to the safe this week, I'll take out my tray of oecs to photograph... i've collected about 20 or so for projects, and most of them are late european cut/early american cuts. eta: there are some posted in my IG but the box pic isn't updated.

Oooh yes would you please do that for us?? I can't wait to see!! :appl:

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
Look at that flowery facets. It’s gorgeous!

Oh gosh so beautiful!!! I love the perfect flower right there. You're right, it's not "bubbly" in the sense that the flower is "round" but what perfect facets anyways. I'm learning so much about table, depth and angles haha. Great photography skills too!!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Oooh yes would you please do that for us?? I can't wait to see!! :appl:

I will try! but must warn you I have an older iphone so I might not be able to get great comparisons.

Also, remember that one picture will not dictate how it looks in person. You're never holding the diamond perfectly still, under the same lighting as the photograph. That's why it's important to view videos under different lighting. My bigger oec can look totally different depending on lighting, location, my clothing, which direction i'm wearing it. One direction is chunkier than the other, and I always wear it so I can see the chunky facets haha.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
I did! Here is the post with the video - https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-oec-is-almost-here.256833/#post-4742859 (the middle two videos are OECs I almost chose but ultimately didn't go with)

You can see the diamond unset (first video) and also in the new setting (although I told my boyfriend that I wanted to be surprised so the ring is IN THE HOUSE but I don't have it in my hands just yet).

I almost went with Old World Diamonds and very strongly considered Alex since he has some killer deals but I happened to go to Mark Broumand in LA and he had a beautiful OEC that I ended up loving and choosing. It's an 2.23 M VS1 and from what I remember has the beautiful flowery facet that I wanted!

This is my whole story too: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-mvs1-oec-from-mark-broumand.255916/

OH yes, i remember the post. That is a yummy stone! and that is a lovely setting to go with it.

the waiting game is on, now! Woohoo!.

I cant wait to hear that you now have the ring on your finger!!! LOL

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
I will try! but must warn you I have an older iphone so I might not be able to get great comparisons.

Also, remember that one picture will not dictate how it looks in person. You're never holding the diamond perfectly still, under the same lighting as the photograph. That's why it's important to view videos under different lighting. My bigger oec can look totally different depending on lighting, location, my clothing, which direction i'm wearing it. One direction is chunkier than the other, and I always wear it so I can see the chunky facets haha.

That's a good tip! Haha I'll have to experiment once I get my ring to check out how it looks from each direction lol. I just love looking at different old cuts I guess! (who doesn't)

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
OH yes, i remember the post. That is a yummy stone! and that is a lovely setting to go with it.

the waiting game is on, now! Woohoo!.

I cant wait to hear that you now have the ring on your finger!!! LOL

Thank you thank you! It came yesterday and I'm soooo antsy haha.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Thank you thank you! It came yesterday and I'm soooo antsy haha.

Oh my gawd!!!! I can’t wait for pictures.... pretty please!!!! :appl:

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Wow, great choice and worth the wait. :love:

It's perfect and deserves its own thread, where did you find it?

Thank youuuuuuu!!!! It’s from Anup Jogani. He has some marvelous collections.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ForteKitty is very much on target about the dimensions to get the flowery center. My "OEC" is a newly cut AVR from Jonathan Weingarten. Table in the 40s and depth in the 64 range. I can't remember the angles off hand, but I do love the cut of my stone very much! It is very similar to @kathley 's beautiful antique OEC! Here's a larger version of my avatar picture.

IMG_0838 avpic.jpg

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
@ForteKitty is very much on target about the dimensions to get the flowery center. My "OEC" is a newly cut AVR from Jonathan Weingarten. Table in the 40s and depth in the 64 range. I can't remember the angles off hand, but I do love the cut of my stone very much! It is very similar to @kathley 's beautiful antique OEC! Here's a larger version of my avatar picture.

IMG_0838 avpic.jpg

It's just perfect, the facets and the colors coming through!

joelly

Ideal_Rock

IMG_0838 avpic.jpg

Amazing diamond wow this is what makes me fall in love with OEC.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I am just seeing this, bubbly by the OP's definition or kozibe effect which is what I thought she was referring to but I was wrong?

I see. Do you think buying an OEC should be done in person? Unless of course you’re buying an AVR which is cut in precision.
Educate me please.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see. Do you think buying an OEC should be done in person? Unless of course you’re buying an AVR which is cut in precision.
Educate me please.

I am definitely not an expert but I think you do need to see an OEC to know whether it is the one.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
I am definitely not an expert but I think you do need to see an OEC to know whether it is the one.

Plus a jeweler has more than one diamond in their briefcase and he didn’t mind sharing them so it’s a treat to visit the diamond :mrgreen:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My largest OEC I bought was 1.25 carats and a major score at $600 (because it was badly chipped on two sides). It didn't photograph nearly as well as it really performed in person. So that's why I say you really need to see them and if you have a chance to see more than one at the same time, well that just sounds like heaven to me!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results