shape
carat
color
clarity

What factors cause OECs to have "bubbly" flowery facets?

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
Top left is a tranny in my book: large table.
The other is a shallow OEC.

A good example of "bubbly" OEC is August Vintage European Round which often has PA greater than 41.0

Agree that AV OEC have the most perfect bubbly facets. The facets look almost completely round in the middle to me in a flower cluster.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
Oh I see. So one would buy an OEC which is designed (i.e. august vintage) to be bubbly instead of buying an antique diamond which is cut 100 yrs ago. Unless one is lucky enough to find an antique “bubbly” OEC.

I have seen some ladies here with very bubbly and lovely OECs that are antiques. I'm sorry I'm forgetting some of their names but @missy and @foxinsox @diamondseeker2006 (based on her avatar) come to mind?

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
Here is a "checkerboard" style OEC.
The pavilion angle is relative low at 40.8 and lower girdle length is short (though not indicated on the two).

Hmm interesting, would you say that it still does have the flowery facets in the center? I guess based on the visuals I'm having a hard time saying what has checkerboard patterns or not (aside from the fact that the facets are very crisp looking).

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
@Moonie the N from parks if you really like it, is available...

So gorgeous and what a steal!! I was quite tempted but I actually ended up pulling a trigger on a very similar stat OEC (2.23M VS1) - interestingly enough with the exact same depth and table! The fact that they were so similar but that the facets looked a little different piqued my interest. My ring isn't here yet so I'll certainly do a lot of staring and photos to see if I can tell the difference hehe.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
My diamond shown in my avatar is an example of a "bubbly" OEC.

And such a gorgeous diamond!! I love how clear the center flower facets look. Would you be willing to share the stats on it?

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
I’d consider these two to be ‘checkerboard’
1B1F2DB3-0B52-4DF5-B7E1-1C49735653A7.jpeg BE8D198D-A743-4893-B905-B2FE1DC42159.jpeg

and these two to be more like a pinwheel
0A399884-E81A-4A6D-A4AB-BD09A1947F9C.jpeg B7FBD212-603A-43B9-BAD1-36674AE02F01.jpeg

I don’t have the most extensive experience with in person viewing of OEC
But have experienced seeing a stone or two that the camera could focus on the right depth and capture a nice floral center pattern, but the eye didn’t.

mine is wonky so it’s like a mutt crossbreed, depending on the viewing angle of what you’d see.

I think I understand what you mean by checkerboard in the top two! They have very nice clear patterns but not a clear floral pattern. Is that what you mean?

joelly

Ideal_Rock
For sure!! I love that antique stones are all different...I find that they were hand cut so romantic and I love that they have different flavors...can't go wrong <3

I was told by a jeweler that there is no OEC out there that’s the same because they were cut individually under candlelight, unless they are not old/antique cuts.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm interesting, would you say that it still does have the flowery facets in the center? I guess based on the visuals I'm having a hard time saying what has checkerboard patterns or not (aside from the fact that the facets are very crisp looking).
I say this particular stone is flowery, but not bubbly.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I understand what you mean by checkerboard in the top two! They have very nice clear patterns but not a clear floral pattern. Is that what you mean?
In these photos, the diamonds are tilted. Many diamonds with large pavilion main facets (OEC, tranny, or even some MRB) can appear blocky when tilted. And I am not too sure if I classify the first stone as an OEC.
There are some trannies and MRBs that look like an OEC.
What you normally consider a checkboard OEC may not be an OEC after all.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I haven’t.... I’m trying to survive this waiting period :lol:

Yes and maybe coming up with names will be a good distraction?
Just saying...;-)

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
In these photos, the diamonds are tilted. Many diamonds with large pavilion main facets (OEC, tranny, or even some MRB) can appear blocky when tilted. And I am not too sure if I classify the first stone as an OEC.
There are some trannies and MRBs that look like an OEC.
What you normally consider a checkboard OEC may not be an OEC after all.

That was something I was wondering as well...maybe flowery facets (especially bubbly ones) look more so straight down from the top. I'm still having a hard time telling unless I stare at it straight on haha.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
Yes and maybe coming up with names will be a good distraction?
Just saying...;-)

@joelly did you end up picking one?? I'm so happy for you! Did you get a chance to see it in person?

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
A pair of OEC, maybe transitional earrings, one more checkered, one more flowery, I‘d say.

Attachments

• CFDEA6ED-81A6-4206-93B5-8D96BBF20CB1.jpeg
    CFDEA6ED-81A6-4206-93B5-8D96BBF20CB1.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 29
  • C481A921-2B1D-4F56-AFE6-8954741BF459.jpeg
    C481A921-2B1D-4F56-AFE6-8954741BF459.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

joelly

Ideal_Rock
@joelly did you end up picking one?? I'm so happy for you! Did you get a chance to see it in person?

I saw it in person yes. @missy helped me.

It’s so nerve wrecking as I have to wear mask and all. But gosh it’s such a lovely experience. A jeweler does have a lot of diamonds. :Up_to_something: Of course I have to touch every single one of them.

So I chose thru pictures but I saw my chosen one in person before buying it.

Hubby was offered a tie holder which crusted with 50 pointers asschers. It’s TDF but hubby casually said oh I don’t wear a tie :roll:...

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Every time I see your ring I swoooooon

Me too... The earth is suddenly moving under my feet... :kiss2: the most beautiful OEC I’ve ever seen.

Moonie

Shiny_Rock
@joelly do you have photos or videos you could share?? that's so exciting that you were able to visit! Also jealous that @missy the OEC whisperer was able to help you!

joelly

Ideal_Rock
@joelly do you have photos or videos you could share?? that's so exciting that you were able to visit! Also jealous that @missy the OEC whisperer was able to help you!

I know right? She is the OEC whisperer. I like that :kiss2:

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
So gorgeous and what a steal!! I was quite tempted but I actually ended up pulling a trigger on a very similar stat OEC (2.23M VS1) - interestingly enough with the exact same depth and table! The fact that they were so similar but that the facets looked a little different piqued my interest. My ring isn't here yet so I'll certainly do a lot of staring and photos to see if I can tell the difference hehe.

oh- did you post a video or pic of it? I may have missed it...

Did you get from Alex??!
pls share!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! Just based on the photos, the three in calipers almost seem transitional to me? But I'm going off on photos of transitionals that Jewels by Grace has posted of her stones.

Early American Cut is what most of us call Transitional cuts. You should get Al Gilbertson's book, it's very educational.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the super detailed explanation! I became really curious because I noticed that the first 2.23N OEC stone that Alex posted (video above) has the exact same table and depth as the OEC that I chose (47% table, 62.7% depth) but our overall measurements are a little different (I'm sure to be expected). In fact mine is a little more "spready" although by very very small amount. I guess the way you cut the diamond aside from table and depth would affect the "bubbly" look of the center facets?

Yeah, table and depth really isn't enough to determine the look. Just a tiny change in upper/lower half and angle can change everything. I've seen an oec with 60% depth with beautiful petals and another 60% depth with terrible girdle reflection, even though both had similar table sizes and no girdle. There are so many factor I really just go with my eyes. If I can get to the safe this week, I'll take out my tray of oecs to photograph... i've collected about 20 or so for projects, and most of them are late european cut/early american cuts. eta: there are some posted in my IG but the box pic isn't updated.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen some ladies here with very bubbly and lovely OECs that are antiques. I'm sorry I'm forgetting some of their names but @missy and @foxinsox @diamondseeker2006 (based on her avatar) come to mind?
I think mine's not what I'd call a bubbly OEC as I understand it from this discussion - my table is 52% so probably too large. AVRs definitely look to me to be bubbly OECs

BADB50C3-0793-4F1A-B9FB-BA1FC50130B3.jpeg

joelly

Ideal_Rock
I think mine's not what I'd call a bubbly OEC as I understand it from this discussion - my table is 52% so probably too large. AVRs definitely look to me to be bubbly OECs

BADB50C3-0793-4F1A-B9FB-BA1FC50130B3.jpeg

Look at that flowery facets. It’s gorgeous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results