shape
carat
color
clarity

What does your wardrobe say about you?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was just a question that popped into my head after reading the thread about aging.
What do the clothes you primarily wear say about you? I guess I will start. I value warmth and comfort above all. So even for work clothes, which is strictly west coast casual (jeans permitted) I later lots of t-shirts and sweaters, jeans and Adidas shell tops. When it’s cold I will wear boots. My idea of being up to date would be buying new sweaters and jackets. I love Marc Jacobs and Tse sweaters. I buy them only when marked down a ton. I just got a Theory puffer jacket marked down from $1000 to $400. It’s warm and stylish and I can wear it for years. I wear super tight under layers that compress my muscles cause they are often sore from working out. So I buy tons of lululemon and beyond yoga athletic clothes. I wear a dress only if I am going to a wedding, which may be once a year, maybe. I have an unreasoning fear of drafts of wind going up the legs when wearing a dress. I have tons of compression socks that I splurge on and have gotten my kids addicted to. I wanted to add that my clothes choices can make me look like a schlumpy boy from a distance. Oh well. The price of warmth and comfort. :mrgreen2:

I am curious what other people favor and why.

Last edited:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am retired, so my clothes say I don't give a hoot what you think about my clothes. T-shirts and jeggings or leggings. I have 1 pair of running shoes, 1 pair of non slip athletic type shoes, 1 pair of snow boots, and 1 pair of summer sandals. My feet have extreme issues. I get hot too easily, so I don't have a true winter coat. I just wear a polar fleece or cardigan. I have 1 winterish coat. I have 2 sweaters and 4 long sleeved shirts. All the rest are short sleeved because of my feverish nature. :cool2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine says that I have kids and pets and therefore dress comfortably. Basically yoga pants and a long sleeved shirt, a good bra because nobody needs to know how low they hang. Out and about I have a black Northface jacket and a cute purple scarf added to the mix. At least I can bet nobody is trying to copy my look :lol:

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I go between '40s & '50s dresses* (especially for going out), to jeggings and jumpers or jogging bottoms and hoodies with trainers for lounging around.
*Not just dresses, I like capri pants and pedal pushers when its warmer.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am retired and dress like a bum but did wear suits when I was working.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dress like a slob.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That I love jackets and shoes. But now that I am retired I wear the same 5 or 6 things all the time, and they are all comfortable.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I value comfort over all else and perhaps that’s because I have so many autoimmune conditions that make my life painful enough. My general everyday dress consists of leggings otk boots and dresses. Easy peasy and super comfortable. In the warmer weather I wear sundresses ballet flats and shrugs. I don’t spend a lot of money on clothes and dress for comfort and I like to think I give a neat and fresh appearance but in any case I dress for me and me alone.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That I love jackets and shoes. But now that I am retired I wear the same 5 or 6 things all the time, and they are all comfortable.

I LOVE toppers-- coats, jackets, a good silk coat is amazing.... things that pull and outfit together.

I also love brooches...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What does my wardrobe say about me?

I don't have a 'wardrobe'.
I just have clothes.
That probably says something about me right there.

Unless I'm working I really don't care how my clothes look.
I do care that they're clean.

Except sox, shoes, and underwear all my clothes came from thrift stores.
Since he likes shopping and I hate it, my SO bought everything.
My only requirement is, 100% cotton.

What does that say about me?
Apparently I use clothing for little more than avoiding getting cold or getting arrested.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless I'm working I really don't care how my clothes look.
I do care that they're clean.

Except sox, shoes, and underwear all my clothes came from thrift stores.
Since he likes shopping and I hate it, my SO bought everything.
My only requirement is, 100% cotton.

What does that say about me?
Apparently I use clothing for little more than avoiding getting cold or getting arrested.

Yes, 100% cotton... agree completely

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a big fan of boho. Otherwise, either unfussy blazers and buttondowns with a fun element like Chucks or a Yankees hat, or if I have to dress up for a client meeting, a J. Crew sheath dress and nude pumps. Running around town is leggings and a chambray shirt over a tee shirt, Minnetonka fringe boots, etc. You know, basic Midwestern mom garb. When I go out I like to have fun with outfits--in the past year I've worn a crop top AND a flower crown. Maybe I'm too old for that stuff, (I'm 40,) but I don't care! IMG_0215.JPG equestrian.JPG IMG-4389.JPG

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fun thread! I value a comfortable, casual, and minimal look that is also current.

My everyday style is no-fuss and not frumpy (I hope!) -- boyfriend jeans, slouchy tops, ankle boots or sneakers. For dressier occasions, I like to project a sophisticated and simple but slightly edgy look. That can mean heels (3-4 inches), skinnies, silky cami under a structured blazer, and one piece of statement jewelry (usually a bold bangle) with tiny diamond earring studs. My makeup is minimal and looks the same whether I'm meeting a friend for lunch or going to a dinner party: foundation, blush, and a bold red lipstick. I guess I'd describe my aesthetic as Carolyn Bessette Kennedy. I'm almost mid-40s and I feel this approach reflects me and my values pretty effectively. :geek2:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D7668083-F87E-486B-8D5C-88AF1703AF4D.jpeg 113BDA5D-1E95-49DD-BC83-1A73EAC301FD.jpeg D6197DA0-7EB4-4531-BBE9-0759ED6BFEED.jpeg 3887541C-D1F7-4346-B915-B5230894E68C.jpeg
Fun thread! I value a comfortable, casual, and minimal look that is also current.

My everyday style is no-fuss and not frumpy (I hope!) -- boyfriend jeans, slouchy tops, ankle boots or sneakers. For dressier occasions, I like to project a sophisticated and simple but slightly edgy look. That can mean heels (3-4 inches), skinnies, silky cami under a structured blazer, and one piece of statement jewelry (usually a bold bangle) with tiny diamond earring studs. My makeup is minimal and looks the same whether I'm meeting a friend for lunch or going to a dinner party: foundation, blush, and a bold red lipstick. I guess I'd describe my aesthetic as Carolyn Bessette Kennedy. I'm almost mid-40s and I feel this approach reflects me and my values pretty effectively. :geek2:
@KristyDarling I know what you mean. Boyfriend jeans are da bomb!! I will post some pics of a girl I adore and follow on IG. I know for a fact that she is the same age as me. Isn’t she totally fabulous?! I think so anyway. I want to BE her. Sorry pics are above.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Typing from the depths of a Margiela sweater-dress ... while a fresh, made to measure tweed jacket awaits its first outing. There are a few pieces all in all & each works with everything else.

I see the logic of @Dancing Fire 's style, though ! Perhaps, next ...

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom She's got style! That last outfit is totally something I'd wear, except maybe the beanie. Beanies look weird on my gigantic head. :roll2:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What does my wardrobe say about me?
Probably some pretty nasty stuff about how I neglect it!
I hear the grumbling coming from the closet.

I loved getting dressed up for work in high heels, and classic skirts and dresses (except for times when I was out with the military). Classic stuff that was tailored and understated. Nothing frilly or trendy.
A colleague would refer to me as 'Jackie', as in Kennedy Onassis.

Since retiring, I'm almost always in casual t-shirts and jeans with running shoes (boots in winter).

I miss wearing heels and skirts. They just won't work with my new typical routine. :(2

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF don’t worry. I have lots of conservative/Republican attire. Tweed. Camel skirts. Wool trousers. Pearls. Waders. Overalls. Hahahahaha.

ETA just saw Kenny’s post. I’m wearing camouflage leggings today!!! Uh oh. I better not visit any of my Dem friends.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My clothes say that I like to look pretty and put together. At least that's what people IRL usually say to me. Dresses are my main wardrobe staple because they are one piece and go.

Work is business casual but many still wear suits so, depending on my meeting schedule, I wear a structured jacket or fitted cardigan over a dress or skirt. I love skirts and dresses, pointy toe heels and ballet flats with bows, pearls and diamonds.

On weekends I usually wear dresses even if I'm at the playground with the kids. Sometimes jeans with a cute tee or sweater. My workout clothes are only for working out as I don't find them particularly comfy because they are compression wear.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is how conservative ladies dress and smile when they cook for their husbands.

Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 11.17.22 AM.png

Conservative ladies wear pearls, heals, and smile when they vacuum the lawn.

Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 11.15.53 AM.png

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results