shape
carat
color
clarity

What does your username stand for??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmantdeChat

Brilliant_Rock
Matatora: I was thinking the same thing about Marvel! I figured any day we would see a Spiderman avatar above Marvel''s name!
emsmilep.gif

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2005 1:04:50 PM
Author: AmantdeChat
Matatora: I was thinking the same thing about Marvel! I figured any day we would see a Spiderman avatar above Marvel's name!
emsmilep.gif

LOL!!! How funny!!

Nope...they stole my initials...glad I could set the record straight
9.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I chose anchor31 because I have an anchor tattooed on my ankle, and my boyfriend and I started dating officially on August 31st 2003. I''m a sappy romantic.
2.gif

Some of your stories are very entertaining!
10.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2005 9:45:44 AM
Author: Pricescope

Date: 10/20/2005 1:28:55 AM
Author: Matatora

Date: 10/19/2005 10:34:09 PM
Author: Pricescope
Matatora, Orpheus did the same for Eurydice, took place in Greece before Hawaii i think.
Oh, I will have to read up on my Greek mythology over Christmas break. Thanks!
You will be amazed at brutal details, romantic tale, betrayal and jealousy in that story.
Bits any Hollywood plot, also starring sexual harassment and poisonous snake
14.gif
Now I definately need to get ahold of a book with that story in it. Any recommendations? We have numerous anthologies but I really dont recall that tale. Then again I was so caught up with Prometheus and finding diffrent versions of his tale I may simply not remember it.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Bagpuss is the name of a character from a children''s tv program. He''s my avatar too. He was a magical stuffed cat who could come to life and with the aid of his friends, fix broken things. He was pink, saggy and always fell asleep at the end of each episode - story of my life really.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! This is so interesting! I am proud to say that I got A PhiSig Loves SAE, but I had a lot of friends in the greek system in college.
2.gif

Mine is a user name I use a lot. It began when I was in college and was my email name for a while. It is supposed to mean "happy fairy" in Italian...fata=fairy and felice=happy. Of course, this is only based on my two years in college Italian, so it is possible that it cannot just be put together literally like that. Please, if you are Italian, don't tell me otherwise... I am kind of attached to it!
2.gif
I guess ignorance is bliss.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/22/2005 12:25:49 PM
Author: fatafelice

Mine is a user name I use a lot. It began when I was in college and was my email name for a while. It is supposed to mean ''happy fairy'' in Italian...fata=fairy and felice=happy. Of course, this is only based on my two years in college Italian, so it is possible that it cannot just be put together literally like that. Please, if you are Italian, don''t tell me otherwise....

I suspect Giangi is the only person of whom you must be wary! I do not know of any other Italians who post here frequently. Of course I could ask my husband...and I think I may now have to do so...but I won''t divulge the results!

Deb

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My name was given to me by participants on the other forum back when PriceScope didn''t exist. We were having a discussion on "the bowtie of a marquise" and it was during the time I first received a FireScope(tm). Most people in the thread were arguing that the bowtie was caused by light leakage and Garry and I were amongst the few who were saying it was due to reflection, not leakage. Becuase of my refusal to back down from my opinion I was called "Rhino" and the name stuck. (I also love the book Rhinocerotic Relativity as well, a book on the Free Enteprise System we enjoy). Interestingly that forum has booted off any and all vendors that support reflector based technology and have taken a stance against AGS as well for adopting it. When Leonid started PriceScope Rhino was the natural callsign I was to take on. In other online things I involve myself in I generally use the callsign Logos. And that''s another story (also a research project i was involved in long ago, regarding agnostic beliefs (which I held) vs christian ones).

Peace,

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock

That''s fascinating. I never thought to question your forum name, Rhino.

I didn''t know about the reflection versus light leakage argument re pear bowties either. You live and learn.

9.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
So not creative!!!
My name is Danielle.
Dani for short...
emwink.gif

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm, somehow I missed this thread! Anyhoo, my username just came from what some people have said to me in the past. Actually more of a question - many people seem to get this silly grin on their face when they talk to me the first couple of times. Then they ask "are you Irish?" to which I reply "yes, why?" and they will always say "It''s in your eyes - you have Irish eyes!" Which is something I always thought was kind of neat because I''m very proud of my Irish heritage - it reminds me of my late grandmother who was full-blood Irish and the most hysterical and adorable woman on the face of the planet!! So when I was thinking of a username when I registered, it was around Christmas-time, which is around the time she passed away 6 years ago and I was thinking of her. So there you have it
1.gif

I miss you Grandma!!
emlove.gif

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/14/2005 4:17:36 PM
Author: albicocca
I''m just hoping my boyfriend proposes soon. :)

Hehe, oops, I just realized that after I changed my username my previous description doesn''t make any sense!

Albicocca means apricot in Italian, and back when I was trying to make up my first IM screenname I just wanted a random fun word. So it really doesn''t mean anything! Just that I like Italian...don''t even have a particular preference for apricots at all.
1.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist - one who plays the flute pitched in the key of "C" as compared to an Alto flute pitched in the key of "G".

I play Principal Flute (the one who gets to play the solos) in our community orchestra.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Decodelighted =

"Deco" for my enduring affinity towards all things Art Deco

"Delighted" for my state of mind upon 1st post to Pricescope ... because
A) so in love w/b-friend
B) happy to be in the market for e-rings
C) getting so much good info from Pricescope in months of lurking
D) and having found "the one" about the time of my 1st post

I''ve noticed a couple of ya''ll calling me "Decode" or "Decoded" -- which I also like because it makes me feel like a new age Nancy Drew/CIA agent!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fatafelice, I''m Italian but born in the USA and all I know are the curse words so I don''t know if your screenname is accurate or not! But I know it''s not a curseword.
2.gif

cflutist, I always thought the "C" stood for classical. Classical flutist. I don''t even know if they make designations like that, but it''s fun to learn the real reason for the "C"!!

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Portoar -- I used to row a lot (the ultimate sport) -- and in sweep, you are either rowing the port or starboard side of the boat. I rowed port, usually in the six seat. So, Port Oar.

Kim

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/2/2005 12:10:05 PM
Author: FireGoddess
cflutist, I always thought the ''C'' stood for classical. Classical flutist. I don''t even know if they make designations like that, but it''s fun to learn the real reason for the ''C''!!
FG, the "C" is also the initial of my first name. Too bad is isn''t "D" like the stunning icy white pear that you have
emotion-5.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2005 11:38:34 AM
Author: cflutist
cflutist - one who plays the flute pitched in the key of ''C'' as compared to an Alto flute pitched in the key of ''G''.

I play Principal Flute (they one who gets to play the solos) in our community orchestra.

hehe- when i read it in my head it''s cut fist. i know, i know...i never even read it as c flutist!!

LollyBear

Brilliant_Rock
My name is kind of a long story and unfunny like some but I'm going to share anyway.
Lolly origin:
My name is Natalie which I think is a simple enough name yet for some reason young children can't seem to pronounce it. I've been called NaNa, Nanny, LoLo, LaLa, and Lolly (by my young brother). It used frustrated me that my baby brother couldn't say my name, then realized I missed it when he started saying it correcty. So... when my sister had her first son, I asked that I be called Aunt Lolly.
Bear origin:
When my brother had his first child, he brought her home in a outfit that had a cute hat with bear ears. I called her my Kaylee-Bear and my nephew, then 8 yrs old, thought it was funny and called me Lolly-Bear.

ETA:
Matata - everytime I see your name that darn Lion King song starts playing in my head. "Hakuna Matata..."
I'm guessing that your cat's first name is Hakuna?

jcrow - if it makes you feel better I've totally misread Aljdewey's name until now. I thought it was Adle jewelry. I don't know where the heck that came from.

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/14/2005 12:24:49 PM
Author: abradabra
MMM,

Although I''ve been pretty sure that you didn''t pick your username based on this, all I can think of every time you post is that ''70''s disco song by the Andrea True Connection (I just googled it--I don''t know that off the top of my head). I always start humming ''More more more... How do you like it? How do you like it?'' everytime I read your posts. And then I think about a special I saw on VH1 about awesomely bad songs, where they talk about how the singer was actually a **** star as her main career or something. Random! Anyway, thought you''d appreciate that...
Too funny I hear that song in my head everytime I see MMM post too.

Originality points go to mom she named me Cym (pronounced Sim). When I was 2 she tacked on the Brie because she thought Cym was too androgynous...seeing as the original Sim (Simon) was my grandpa''s best friend makes perfect sense. I''ve met few others in my lifetime and it''s almost without exception available online which is something these days. And when you have a name like mine it''s a rare occasion seeing it in print...you know those namesake items you can get as a kid, pencils, keychains, post-its etc...never happened. Reminds me of that Simpson''s episode..."we''re all out of BORT license plates...yes MY son is also named BORT". Although, there is a province in Wales (Cym-ru?) and the stickers on their cars (e.g. CH=Switzerland D=Denmark etc) are CYM. Finding that sticker for sale at a novelty shop was a banner day for me
31.gif
. Somewhat related to the British Isles theme, mom got the spelling from Shakespeare''s Cymbeline but he was a tragic character so she stuck with Cym-Brie.

Other fun facts to know and tell some think it''s an alternate spelling of Kim, C followed by E, I or Y is pronounced as a soft C. The name is also a prefix and an acronym. More than you ever needed to know
2.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
It''s 3 PM on Friday, Memorial Day weekend starts tomorrow, and I''m REALLY slacking at work, so I went looking to see if there was a thread on usernames and avatars, and found two. I decided to resurrect this one, which is more recent. It was really cool to find out the truth behind names I''ve been misreading or misinterpreting for months! I too was baffled by Aphisiglovessae, but because I''m a total science dork, I thought it was the name of a species of flower or something! A lot of scientific names end in -ae. Anyway, it cracks me up that I was totally missing the Greek connection - understandable since my college had no frats or sororities.

As for my name, it comes from Celtic mythology. The selkie were beings who usually appeared as seals, but would sometimes come ashore, hide their seal skin, and appear human. If a person stole the skin of a selkie while it was in human form, the selkie would be bound to the person and unable to return to the sea. There''s a gorgeous little movie called The Secret of Roan Inish which is an adaptation of the myth. I chose it as a username for several sites because I love the ocean, and wanted something a little unusual. It''s also the name of my sailboat.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
'Galateia' is the more accurate transliteration of Galatea, one of ten of Oceanus' three thousand daughters mentioned by name in Homer's Illiad.

She pops up again as Pygmalion's inspiration for his infamous sculpture.
31.gif

CJS924

Shiny_Rock
My initials and wedding date. Pretty simple.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is purely sentimental. The monarch butterfly is my dad''s favorite insect, and there were monarchs all around our outdoor ceremony on my wedding day. 64 was the age he was when I registered on PS. My dad''s been battling colon cancer for about 3 years now and I was trying to think of something I would remember easily, so monarch64 became my username.

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Selkie, I''m so glad you resurrected this thread. It''s cleared a lot of my questions up
2.gif

My name Sunkist is I guess because I like oranges.. and I''m from So. California, so I like to be in the sun
10.gif
. I tried to use it years ago when I was making a new email address but it was already taken so I never used it. Then when I came to PS I didn''t want to use my usual username and have my BF find all my posts that easily
5.gif
So I tried Sunkist again, and it worked!

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
snooper is my jack russell''s name :)

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
At my job, I was sitting at a computer all day writing programs to build databases. While my programs were running I had a little time to kill, so I got into the habit of surfing the internet and I found pricescope.

so:
database [for reports based on] generally accepted accounting principles = dbgaap

20.gif
why not just use DORK!
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
virginia is for ELLIOTT!! woo hoo.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/13/2005 12:48:17 PM
Author: kaleigh
I picked kaleigh because I liked the name and it was available. I wanted cricket, but that was taken, so Kaleigh it is.
1.gif
''

I have often wondered "why Kaleigh? since your name is Lisa," right?

Well, mine is obvious too.. it''s my name! I am not creative enough to think of something else ahahaa

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2006 2:18:51 PM
Author: Sophie

Date: 10/13/2005 12:48:17 PM
Author: kaleigh
I picked kaleigh because I liked the name and it was available. I wanted cricket, but that was taken, so Kaleigh it is.
1.gif
''

I have often wondered ''why Kaleigh? since your name is Lisa,'' right?

Well, mine is obvious too.. it''s my name! I am not creative enough to think of something else ahahaa
Yes my nickname is Lisa. Anyone want to guess what my real name is???
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results