shape
carat
color
clarity

Blog What Does Your Engagement Ring Mean?

SugarMagnolia

Rough_Rock
12 years ago, my husband proposed with a beautiful ideal cut round F colour solitaire in a simple custom six prong setting. It was my first "exposure" to the beauty of an exceptionally well cut diamond. Not long after that, my father died. I was his executor and in the process of settling his estate, discovered a very old insurance policy he'd likely forgotten about, to which I was the beneficiary. As he'd always been a "jewelry gifting" type of guy, I used the proceeds of the policy to purchase myself a custom set of ideal cut studs. I knew my Dad would appreciate this, and whenever I had a "big" moment (important work presentation/meeting, my wedding day) I wore my studs to have him with me.

Then, my daughter was born, and as I found myself immersed in motherhood and career, I found that I seldom wore the studs. It made me sad because I always thought of my father when I wore them, and felt I had him with me in some way. My husband, who is the creative one of the two of us, suggested a three stone ring to replace my original solitaire, incorporating my original diamond, plus the diamonds from the studs. All three diamonds are close in colour, F and two Gs.

So that's what we did, and now I have a three stone ring that I wear every single day, and there are three of us - my husband, our daughter, and me - and also my late father. I wear a pink sapphire 18K rose gold eternity band as my wedding ring - the sapphires are my husband's birthstone and pink is for our daughter.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SugarMagnolia I loved reading every single word of your post. What a beautiful story. And if you have the chance, I'd LOVE to see pics of your rings, the rose gold eternity sounds lovely too!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My engagement ring is a symbol of how much DH and I have grown together, and how the life we have built for ourselves and our children has gotten better and better, as the ring has undergone a couple of improvements over the last 15 years. It was originally a yellow 3 stone with diamonds that were pretty and that I loved, but with visible inclusions and an average cut. We had them swapped out for diamonds the same size but ideal cut and eye clean, and I happily wore it like that for years. I had grown tired of yellow gold, and am now much fonder of rose gold, which I feel mixes better with the few white gold diamond pieces I have since acquired.

I did something very similar to you @SugarMagnolia. I had a pair of ideal cut studs from WF which I felt deserved to be showcased on my hand, as they were so lovely. I had my ring reset into a 5 stone with my 3 newer e-ring diamonds, and the studs, and made into rose gold, for our 10th wedding anniversary. I gradually sold all of my jewellery (I had WAY too much unworn stuff) and purchased fewer, higher quality pieces in rose gold.

Attachments

• 28548357_10156077229654687_1580850295_o.jpg
    28548357_10156077229654687_1580850295_o.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results