shape
carat
color
clarity

What does BE in a Pad Mean?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Guess I missed this in a previous post, but can someone please educate me?

Thank you!
36.gif

Lori

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Chrono!!!

Lori

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You''re welcome.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono - correct me if I''m wrong but that''s the old style of BE diffusion. The new type no longers coats (which was the issue years ago as the coating could scratch or wear off). Now, certain chemicals/minerals etc., are added to the heating process and the whole gemstone is "diffused" from inside/out. So basically if you were to recut the stone, you wouldn''t be left with a two-tone stone.

Loriken - the process is a way of adding colour to a gemstone. So, for example, if you take a yellow sapphire and want it to look more "pad" ish then you BE it and it takes on a different colour - more pink and orange.

I hope that helps.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Lori :)
What''s the new stone in the avatar?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/25/2009 7:02:29 AM
Author: MakingTheGrade
What's the new stone in the avatar?
Unless stones have twins wandering around, I think it is Finewater's Nigerian tourmaline. Lori has a fast trigger finger.

Is recognizing stones at first sight a symptom of a gemstone problem?
9.gif

Lori - please introduce your stone to the forum. We love asscher, yummy pink and fine cutting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/25/2009 5:07:39 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Chrono - correct me if I''m wrong but that''s the old style of BE diffusion. The new type no longers coats (which was the issue years ago as the coating could scratch or wear off). Now, certain chemicals/minerals etc., are added to the heating process and the whole gemstone is ''diffused'' from inside/out. So basically if you were to recut the stone, you wouldn''t be left with a two-tone stone.

Loriken - the process is a way of adding colour to a gemstone. So, for example, if you take a yellow sapphire and want it to look more ''pad'' ish then you BE it and it takes on a different colour - more pink and orange.

I hope that helps.
Correct. In the new one, the stone is "bathed" in the chemical and it really gets into the stone as it is heated. This new method means when you scratch the stone, there is no coating to be removed. They are really getting good at it, aren''t they?

As far as I know, it is the pink sapphires that are BE treated to look like padparadscha since it already has the pink colour down pat.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Wow I hadn''t realized they had a new method. Is it harder to detect?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/25/2009 11:19:59 AM
Author: Chrono

Chrono - correct me if I''m wrong but that''s the old style of BE diffusion. The new type no longers coats (which was the issue years ago as the coating could scratch or wear off). Now, certain chemicals/minerals etc., are added to the heating process and the whole gemstone is ''diffused'' from inside/out. So basically if you were to recut the stone, you wouldn''t be left with a two-tone stone.

Loriken - the process is a way of adding colour to a gemstone. So, for example, if you take a yellow sapphire and want it to look more ''pad'' ish then you BE it and it takes on a different colour - more pink and orange.

I hope that helps.
Correct. In the new one, the stone is ''bathed'' in the chemical and it really gets into the stone as it is heated. This new method means when you scratch the stone, there is no coating to be removed. They are really getting good at it, aren''t they?

As far as I know, it is the pink sapphires that are BE treated to look like padparadscha since it already has the pink colour down pat.
That''s my understanding too. However, in terms of what colour sapphire they start with? Yellow/orange is the preferred colour I understand for a Pad. I don''t think they use pink - happy to be corrected!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/25/2009 11:33:16 AM
Author: innerkitten
No Innerkitten. This BE has been around for at least 5 years that I know of (maybe longer). The colour can give it away as you usually end up with a very vibrant colour and the clarity is reasonably good.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2009 12:02:01 PM
Date: 4/25/2009 11:19:59 AM

Author: Chrono

I hope that helps.

Correct. In the new one, the stone is ''bathed'' in the chemical and it really gets into the stone as it is heated. This new method means when you scratch the stone, there is no coating to be removed. They are really getting good at it, aren''t they?

That''s my understanding too. However, in terms of what colour sapphire they start with? Yellow/orange is the preferred colour I understand for a Pad. I don''t think they use pink - happy to be corrected!

Yes, they start with light pink sapphire and then beryllium diffuse them to make padparadscha like color. I believe this treatment was recognized in 2001--Thais treating pale pink sapphire from Madagascar.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2009 12:03:39 PM

Wow I hadn't realized they had a new method. Is it harder to detect?

No Innerkitten. This BE has been around for at least 5 years that I know of (maybe longer). The colour can give it away as you usually end up with a very vibrant colour and the clarity is reasonably good.

Color and price may be a giveaway in some instances, but it can be exceedingly difficult to detect in others. Labs detect BE diffusion by immersion in methylene iodide. Altered inclusions are another indicator, but immersion will show you the surface color zoning. I don't care who the dealer is--if I buy a padparadscha, it must come with a lab report.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/25/2009 10:08:40 AM
Author: Lady_Disdain

Unless stones have twins wandering around, I think it is Finewater''s Nigerian tourmaline. Lori has a fast trigger finger.

9.gif

Lori - please introduce your stone to the forum. We love asscher, yummy pink and fine cutting.
Were there new stones posted recently?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
What a waste of pink sapphires! I love them so much as is. I guess it''s all about money though ( for some people ).

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
BE = Best Eschewed

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/25/2009 1:40:04 PM
What a waste of pink sapphires! I love them so much as is. I guess it''s all about money though ( for some people ).
Not just that, but the demand for pink sapphires to be used for BE treatment has caused the prices of regular pink sapphires to rise too because there''s even less for sale now.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/25/2009 12:27:18 PM
Author: coatimundi

Date: 4/25/2009 12:03:39 PM

Color and price may be a giveaway in some instances, but it can be exceedingly difficult to detect in others. Labs detect BE diffusion by immersion in methylene iodide. Altered inclusions are another indicator, but immersion will show you the surface color zoning. I don''t care who the dealer is--if I buy a padparadscha, it must come with a lab report.
Completely agree - it''s why I would NEVER buy an important Sapphire or Ruby without a lab report. I''ve seen some glorious Rubies that have had BE treatment.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
What a shame that the "average person" is being taken advantage of....it makes me sick to think of the money that is being spent on what someone thinks is "the genuine article."

That''s why I went with NSC for my first pad. She is tiny, but I know I''m getting the real deal and it will be certified...OR ELSE!

Lori

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2009 10:08:40 AM
Author: Lady_Disdain

Unless stones have twins wandering around, I think it is Finewater''s Nigerian tourmaline. Lori has a fast trigger finger.

9.gif

Yes, my avatar is Gary''s Nigerian tourmaline that belongs to a very lucky person...NOT ME! I asked him about it and he said it was sold within two hours of being cut. This is my dream asscher and I would LOVE to have one just like it. Instead, Gary is cutting something special for me....details to follow....
9.gif

Lori

BlueSea

Rough_Rock
I hate to let you guys wondering...
emsmile.gif
Yes, I believe that this stone that you''re talking about here is mine. According to Gary, it''s a Nigerian Tourmaline, 2.64 carats, 7.7mm, IF clarity. I was in love with it at the first sight. Seeing it in person even more...wow...
emteeth.gif

I will start a separate thread to introduce this when I have more pictures. Thanks everyone!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue Sea,
You are very fortunate to snag that one! The colour is eye popping. I''d love to read your opinion and see your pictures.
36.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2009 12:02:09 PM
Author: BlueSea
emsmile.gif
Yes, I believe that this stone that you''re talking about here is mine. According to Gary, it''s a Nigerian Tourmaline, 2.64 carats, 7.7mm, IF clarity. I was in love with it at the first sight. Seeing it in person even more...wow...
emteeth.gif

I will start a separate thread to introduce this when I have more pictures. Thanks everyone!!!
YAY..BlueSea!!! Hope you don''t mind my borrowing your awesome asscher for a bit! Gary didn''t say who the lucky owner was and I just couldn''t stand not having a photo to drool over.....

PLEASE post lots of photos of your amazing beauty!!!!
30.gif
36.gif

Lori

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/26/2009 12:02:09 PM
emsmile.gif
emteeth.gif

Count me in as wanting to see this stone! It looks gorgeous!

BlueSea

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/26/2009 9:35:14 PM
Author: loriken214

YAY..BlueSea!!! Hope you don''t mind my borrowing your awesome asscher for a bit! Gary didn''t say who the lucky owner was and I just couldn''t stand not having a photo to drool over.....

30.gif
36.gif

Lori
Hi Lori, no, I don''t mind at all that you use it for your avatar
26.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2009 10:44:24 PM

Date: 4/26/2009 9:35:14 PM
Author: loriken214

30.gif
36.gif

Lori
Hi Lori, no, I don''t mind at all that you use it for your avatar
26.gif
YAY...thank you! I''ll have my own pink pretty before long...
9.gif

Lori

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results