shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this setting?

cinnabon1234

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!!

I'm new here but I've been reading many threads through my engagement ring shopping process. I am currently designing a custom ring and I fell in love with this setting. It is a shared-prong setting (Tiffany style) and the center stone is 1.9 carats (it's not set yet).

The band in this picture is 2.95 mm however, I asked for it to be roughly 2.7 mm so that the side stones still stand out without overpowering the center diamond. Also, my ring will only be 4 prongs.

Also, I was thinking of having a hidden halo on the basket. Too much or a good idea?

IMG_1816.jpeg IMG_1817.jpeg
I would like your honest opinion please! Thank you!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    108.1 KB · Views: 56
  • image.png
    image.png
    108.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want a hidden halo, you have a hidden halo! :)

Everyone has different taste - you should please you and no-one else for the ring you'll be wearing for the rest of your life :) (Well unless/until Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome sets in like it often does on Pricescope, and you want to upgrade... ;-) :lol: )

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thats a pretty setting...what is a hidden halo?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hidden halo...too much for me. Its a pretty ring the way it is and I think adding more to it will be distracting.

I think the stone is set to high (for me). You may feel otherwise though. You didnt really show the prongs. Can you post a side view of
the head? I'd prefer flow-ey prongs vs the very straight prongs that it looks like are on this setting...or set it lower so you dont see long vertical lines.

Not sure if this is an eternity or not. If so, I recommend against it. Leave a couple of stones out on the bottom and have a sizing bar put in.
Peoples fingers change due to babies and other issues.

cinnabon1234

Rough_Rock
Hidden halo...too much for me. Its a pretty ring the way it is and I think adding more to it will be distracting.

I think the stone is set to high (for me). You may feel otherwise though. You didnt really show the prongs. Can you post a side view of
the head? I'd prefer flow-ey prongs vs the very straight prongs that it looks like are on this setting...or set it lower so you dont see long vertical lines.

Not sure if this is an eternity or not. If so, I recommend against it. Leave a couple of stones out on the bottom and have a sizing bar put in.
Peoples fingers change due to babies and other issues.

LOL the diamond isn't set yet :) it's just sitting on top of the prongs. And it will be a 3/4 band

david b

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I agree that it is a matter of personal taste, there is no right or wrong here. No band will overpower a 1.90 carats center

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
I'm all about balance and symmetry and safe design. First what's the diameter of the stone? Divide that by 3. That should be the width of the band. Now, what's the width of the bottom of the main stone setting? Does it match with the calculated width of the band? With such a high setting I'd want that center stone seat tougher than nails. I've destroyed more solitaire settings over the years than I care to admit. Just my 2 cents.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I think the diamond sits too high as well. I also like the idea of some softer lines - the prongs look so straight and stern (to me) .... and I think a hidden halo would look just fine if that’s what you want. :wink2:

cinnabon1234

Rough_Rock
I think the diamond sits too high as well. I also like the idea of some softer lines - the prongs look so straight and stern (to me) .... and I think a hidden halo would look just fine if that’s what you want. :wink2:

The diamond isn't set yet, it's just sitting on top of the prongs :)

cinnabon1234

Rough_Rock
Will the stone sit lower when it’s set?

Yeah it's just sitting on top of it. The basket will be completely different with only 4 songs and a hidden halo. I think my main concern is if the band looks too thick and is making my center stone look smaller which is what I'm scared of

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah it's just sitting on top of it. The basket will be completely different with only 4 songs and a hidden halo. I think my main concern is if the band looks too thick and is making my center stone look smaller which is what I'm scared of

Fair enough :wink2: I found it hard to tell from the picture if the diamond is sitting at the bottom or not For what it’s worth, I don’t think the band looks too thick, and yours will be slightly thinner, right?

cinnabon1234

Rough_Rock
Fair enough :wink2: I found it hard to tell from the picture if the diamond is sitting at the bottom or not For what it’s worth, I don’t think the band looks too thick, and yours will be slightly thinner, right?

Yes it will be 0.25 mm thinner so I hope it all works out! Thank you :)

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the setting and think the band looks fine as is (doesn't make the center stone look small), so the slightly thinner 2.75mm band will be just fine. I prefer 6 prongs over 4 because I don't care for the squared off look of 4 prongs and I also like the added security of 6 prongs over 4. But those two issues may not be concerns for you and if you prefer the look of 4 prongs, go with it. The hidden halo is also a preference. It would not be my preference, but if you like it I don't think it would detract from the ring at all. Overall, I think it will be a gorgeous ring!

Eloan

Rough_Rock
sorry for my english :)
I think it's very pretty but me, I will not choose this type of settings because I am not the kind of people very "careful" : I'm very active and I would be too scared to hang the ring everywhere.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it without the hidden halo but that's just personal taste, if you like it go for it! I would feel better with more than 4 prongs on a ~2ct diamond. If you don't like the look of 6 perhaps consider double prongs? Again personal preference, lots of big stones are held in by 4 prongs bit I like knowing and feeling it is more secure.

Just saw that @natasha-cupcake said basically the same thing so, whay she said :)

cinnabon1234

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your responses! Personally, I don't like the 6 prongs so I'm not considering it. It takes away from the diamond. Although I agree it is more secure for such a big stone, the jeweler is a family friend so I plan to get it checked and tightened every couple of months :) Thank you for bringing this up to my attention!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@cinnabon1234 I love the setting and I say go for the hidden halo if that is what you like, it will look beautiful! I think you'll be fine with 4 prongs.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks gorgeous on your pretty hand! I think when it’s set (and I think you said narrower shank) it will look PERFECT! I too am a 6-prong fan mostly for visual reasons, but lots of ppl have 4 on 2ctw stones, so it’ll be fine. You don’t need your jeweler to be a family friend to frequently check your prongs though . The stones on the basket are personal preference. I wouldn’t want it bc I think it distracts, but I’m not the one who’s going to be wearing it. Best of luck & enjoy!

mizzbutterfly

Rough_Rock
I must preface my answer: Unlike many of the PS-ers, I am NOT an expert.
SO now I will tell you my personal opinion. I spent SO much time on Pinterest and all the websites that are well known on PS in search of my ideal setting. I came to the conclusion ( as a total amateur ) that I shouldn't have spent so much time looking at what other people liked and went with my "gut".
Your ring looks LOVELY. But as many others have said, get what you LOVE. What speaks to YOU. The ring that will bring you absolute joy every time you look at it!
Keep us updated on what you decide !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results