shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this sapphire?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I think I *may* be ready to finally make my first coloured stone purchase
36.gif

I have been wanting a blue sapphire for quite some time but have been suffering with champagne tastes and a beer budget. About a year and a half ago, I really loved a stone that Jeff White was offering, but much to my constant regrets I didn''t act and it went to our friend Neatfreak (seen here)!

A few days ago I was checking out Finewater Gems and came accross another sapphire that I really liked! It isn''t the common top colour, but I find I am often attracted to the violet shades of blue. And the cutting is
30.gif
It reminds me a little of my first love, NFs Jeff White asscher.

It is a 1.27ct natural sapphire, which according to Gary displays the rutile pattern suggesting that it is not heated. Below is a collage of pictures including the vendor photo and some pictures that I had Gary take outside on an overcast day. I''ll post a couple more shots shortly. Other details can be seen here: http://www.finewatergems.com/sapphire.html

Any comments or concerns about the cut or the color? How do you think the price is, given the color and assuming it is unheated?

Thanks!

DDsapphirecollage.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
A closeup outside in overcast condisions.

sapphire3closeup.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Indoors in incadescent lighting, although Gary mentioned that he couldn''t capture the sparkle this shows the slight color shift to violet inside.

sapphire4incadescentDD.jpg

Barcelona

Shiny_Rock
I love the color of that stone and seriously considered it when it was posted in the Members Only section. My only complaint is that it''s too small at least for me.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 5:17:50 PM
Author: Barcelona
I love the color of that stone and seriously considered it when it was posted in the Members Only section. My only complaint is that it''s too small at least for me.
I suspect the size has stopped many buyers. I would also like something bigger, but I think that would take it out of my $$ range! Good looking stones that are wonderfully cut in my comfort zone price-wise don''t come along often, it has been 1.5 years since I last saw one!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 5:14:43 PM
Author:dreamer_dachsie
Well I think I *may* be ready to finally make my first coloured stone purchase
36.gif

I have been wanting a blue sapphire for quite some time but have been suffering with champagne tastes and a beer budget. About a year and a half ago, I really loved a stone that Jeff White was offering, but much to my constant regrets I didn't act and it went to our friend Neatfreak (seen here)!

A few days ago I was checking out Finewater Gems and came accross another sapphire that I really liked! It isn't the common top colour, but I find I am often attracted to the violet shades of blue. And the cutting is
30.gif
It reminds me a little of my first love, NFs Jeff White asscher.
AAHHH yes, the NF JW asscher that got ME all started too!!!

This one is lovely. A very good size and the colour is beautiful. I hope you've finally found YOUR BLUE BLING!!

Here's a pic of NF's finished ring so you have it for reference in your thread.
LS

Neat: hope you don't mind my posting your ring - it's out of admiration!

NeatfreakAsscher.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's a beautiful medium light blue sapphire for the pricepoint. It's also expertly cut, and I believe unheated (unheated stones cost more). Congratulations.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s stunning! The color and the cut look really nice.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
DD, I think the stone is gorgeous.

I''m somewhat biased over the colour as I bought one exactly that colour in Ratnapura. It literally glows in daylight. Indoor lighting is still nice, but doesn''t begin to compare with the look outdoors - in both sun and shade. (DH has chosen it out of all my stones as a present for Daisy when she''s older).

Cut looks lovely too!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your opinions everyone! I''m very excited about actually seeing a well cut, nicely coloured sapphire in person. I have only seen maul type saphs in the past.

Pandora, can you post a picture? I''d love to see it.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DREAMER... I think it is a STUNNER!! And it just GLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get it! It''s a no brainer! It''s beautiful, in your budget, well cut and the colour literally glows.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
That''s a beautiful sapphire. It''s gorgeous...

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
WOW!!! The color reminds me of electric blue!!!
30.gif
30.gif

I don''t know much about sapphires, but the cut and color looks gorgeous!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 6:45:38 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Thanks for your opinions everyone! I''m very excited about actually seeing a well cut, nicely coloured sapphire in person. I have only seen maul type saphs in the past.

Pandora, can you post a picture? I''d love to see it.
I will do as soon as I get it back - it''s on loan to a couple whose e-ring I''m designing at the moment. They couldn''t decide on what they wanted as a centre-stone so came round to mine to play with my rocks and see what colours looked nice on her.

I sent them away with a few as I wanted them to see the options in daylight as well as in electric light. They started out wanting a ruby and have now decided they want a sapphire pretty much that colour - we''ll see if the size she wants will be in budget - I''m praying she doesn''t want an EC or anything that is going to be too hard to find!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I think it is a beautiful stone, with great color, brilliancy, and cut.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m assuming its heated [which i would accept but i would not accept a BE treated stone] and think that''s represented in the price. having said that, i think its a great stone at a good price. you would be hard pressed to find another that compares for the $.

mz

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 9:13:02 PM
Author: movie zombie
i''m assuming its heated [which i would accept but i would not accept a BE treated stone] and think that''s represented in the price. having said that, i think its a great stone at a good price. you would be hard pressed to find another that compares for the $.

mz
Thanks mz. Of note, Gary says it is not heated: "The sapphire has the silk rutile pattern that indicates that it is non-heated. I purchased this from a reputable dealer in Sri Lanka (and I had an excellent gemologist with me), so I feel comfortable that it was not treated." Of course, it is not certed nor would I be likely to get it certed for this price.

But it sounds like you are saying that even if it were heated, the price would be fair?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a real beauty. I love the color and it looks very sparkly.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
DD- I think it''s stunning! And IMO, a respectable size. Not too small for me (and current budget constraints
2.gif
anyway.) I have been quite surprised that it did not sell sooner. You are smart to have put it on hold- you never know about the lurkers
3.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks great for an unheated stone. I like how the colour is so bright and vivid outdoors, even though the sun isn''t very bright.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
It''s a very lovely stone!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 9:20:49 PM

Date: 4/3/2009 9:13:02 PM
Author: movie zombie

mz
Thanks mz. Of note, Gary says it is not heated: ''The sapphire has the silk rutile pattern that indicates that it is non-heated. I purchased this from a reputable dealer in Sri Lanka (and I had an excellent gemologist with me), so I feel comfortable that it was not treated.'' Of course, it is not certed nor would I be likely to get it certed for this price.

But it sounds like you are saying that even if it were heated, the price would be fair?
Mine has the silk rutile as well - and was confirmed unheated by the lab in Colombo. I found the dealers in Ratnapura to be honest (I may have been lucky) and think that the price seems good. I''ve seen higher for not such nice colour or cut in the same size on NSC.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 11:11:00 PM
Author: icekid
DD- I think it''s stunning! And IMO, a respectable size. Not too small for me (and current budget constraints
2.gif
anyway.) I have been quite surprised that it did not sell sooner. You are smart to have put it on hold- you never know about the lurkers
3.gif
Lots of time on PS has taught me at least one thing -- them lurkers''ll steal it out from under ya!
emdgust.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 8:48:37 AM

2.gif
3.gif
Lots of time on PS has taught me at least one thing -- them lurkers''ll steal it out from under ya!
emdgust.gif
LOL...you guys make "lurkers" sound like night-crawling mutants.

Then again, I was a night-crawling mutant once...kinda felt like a voyeur.
27.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 8:59:45 AM
Author: platinumrock

2.gif
3.gif
emdgust.gif
LOL...you guys make ''lurkers'' sound like night-crawling mutants.

27.gif
Shhhh.. they''re listening!
face21.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 12:24:52 PM

2.gif
3.gif
emdgust.gif

27.gif
Shhhh.. they''re listening!
face21.gif
LOL...

1276752h6e4tykrbg.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s beautiful dreamer!!!!!!

icekid

Ideal_Rock

2.gif
3.gif
emdgust.gif

27.gif
hahaha!! They''re creepy-crawlies
31.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 12:49:52 PM

2.gif
3.gif
emdgust.gif

27.gif
hahaha!! They''re creepy-crawlies
31.gif
LMAO...that is so wrong on so many levels....
11.gif

crawling-zombie.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results