shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this I1 stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

I've found this great I1 stone and the price is quite attractive (well, because it's an I1 stone!
2.gif
). According to the vendor, it is eye-clean (from 10 inches away). I know it has some clouds and feathers (including a large feather at the girdle). The large feather, according to the vendor, can be mostly covered with a prong. There's no durability issue apparently. I'm still a bit nervous about the clouds as my understanding is that clouds can affect the brilliance of the stone.

The stats are as follows:

Table: 61%
Depth: 58.7%
Crown: 34 degrees
Pavilion: 40.8

I know it's a shallow and spready stone, but it does have an HCA of under 2. It's apparently very firey, *looks* like an ideal cut stone and the inclusions are more like thin white lines across the stone.

I will try and attach the idealscope and magnified images.

What are your opinions? Yay or nay? Any comments?

Thanks.

(Btw, it'd be set in a ring)

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of, magnified image.

Apparently, the ''blob'' at 4 o''clock is a feather (if my understanding and memory serve me right) and IRL, it is much lighter (semi-transparent) than what''s shown in the picture and blends into the stone.

Phoenix_1.JPG

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone on hand..

Phoenix_2.JPG

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Idealscope..

Phoenix_3.JPG

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
IS looks a little too much black to me though.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 3:28:50 AM
Author: Stone-cold11
You mean in the centre/ table? meaning there''s too much leakage?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 3:40:23 AM
Author: Phoenix

You mean in the centre/ table? meaning there's too much leakage?
Hi Friend!

Not necessarily too much leakage at all, it depends what you want P. If you want a top cut diamond then you might want to look at some more, bearing in mind diamonds of this size are rare - but not everyone wants ' perfection' this one has good proportions and might suit you for a ring - IF it is eyeclean, check very carefully there. What are the polish and symmetry grades, girdle and diameter? I can imagine this diamond is rather sizeable!

With these huge diamonds a different approach and sometimes a little compromise is needed as they are so rare in the first place, you are not going to find a ton of diamonds in this clarity which are worth considering, or price range to compare with. A decent IS image can often be quite acceptable in these cases as finding well cut and eyeclean mammoth I1 diamonds is not going to be easy! A different eye and different approach is useful in these cases when dealing with very large diamonds of rarity.

As to the clouds, I know ' the vendor' will be completely honest with you if they are a problem. I would really be most concerned about the ' eyecleanliness' factor here with such a huge diamond!
6.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 4:29:46 AM
Author: Lorelei

Hi Friend!

Not necessarily too much leakage at all, it depends what you want P. If you want a top cut diamond then you might want to look at some more, bearing in mind diamonds of this size are rare - but not everyone wants ' perfection' this one has good proportions and might suit you for a ring - IF it is eyeclean, check very carefully there. What are the polish and symmetry grades, girdle and diameter? I can imagine this diamond is rather sizeable!

With these huge diamonds a different approach and sometimes a little compromise is needed as they are so rare in the first place, you are not going to find a ton of diamonds in this clarity which are worth considering, or price range to compare with. A decent IS image can often be quite acceptable in these cases as finding well cut and eyeclean mammoth I1 diamonds is not going to be easy! A different eye and different approach is useful in these cases when dealing with very large diamonds of rarity.

As to the clouds, I know ' the vendor' will be completely honest with you if they are a problem. I would really be most concerned about the ' eyecleanliness' factor here with such a huge diamond!
6.gif
Hi there my dear friend Lorelei!
35.gif

Thanks so much for your detailed response and comments.

Yes, this diamond is rather large!
3.gif
1.gif
, actually a bit larger than what I'd really like but as you may know, I've been looking for something of this magnitude for a long time now and the price (because it is an I1) is quite attractive and suits our pocket much better.

The symmetry and polish are both Excellent as is the stated cut on the GIA report. The girdle is thin to medium. The other stats are (forget what they're called) are 55 and 80.

You've hit it right there on the nail! Particularly because of its size, I'm quite concerned abt the eye-cleaniness, and also because it is an I1. Sure, there are inclusions, but apparently they are white and not horrible black crystals. My concern is whether the clouds are obscuring the light reflection (given "clouds" is listed first on the list of inclusions).

The vendor says that at 10 inches away they can't see anything, but at 6 inches they can (but it sounds like, from our discussion, that this person has particuarly good eye-sight). My eye-sight is not great, but then again, given that it is such a huge stone, can other people see these white lines or clouds clearly, that's what I'm wondering (?). It'd be horrible to have people whisper behind my back: "Oh, look at that huge diamond! Can you see those horrible inclusions? What's the point of wearing such a stone? I'd rather have a smaller diamond but a cleaner one?!!".

I do trust the vendor, but "eye-cleaniness" is so objective and was wondering if you or anyone else can decipher from the pics above, particularly from the Idealscope image, that these lines may in fact be quite visible to people of decent (ie. average, or better than mine, LOL) eye-sight?

Thank you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 4:58:53 AM

Hi Friend!

6.gif
35.gif

3.gif
1.gif
, actually a bit larger than what I'd really like but as you may know, I've been looking for something of this magnitude for a long time now and the price (because it is an I1) is quite attractive and suits our pocket much better.

The symmetry and polish are both Excellent as is the stated cut on the GIA report. The girdle is thin to medium. The other stats are (forget what they're called) are 55 and 80.

You've hit it right there on the nail! Particularly because of its size, I'm quite concerned abt the eye-cleaniness, and also because it is an I1. Sure, there are inclusions, but apparently they are white and not horrible black crystals. My concern is whether the clouds are obscuring the light reflection (given 'clouds' is listed first on the list of inclusions).

The vendor says that at 10 inches away, they can't see anything but at 6 inches, they can (but it sounds like, from our discussion, that this person has particuarly good eye-sight).

Thank you.
Good to see you P!!! mwah!!XOXO

You are most welcome, always glad to help you!!

Thanks for the info you posted above, you posted all the right numbers and proportions and it is all in order. Do you have the diameter?

I think I know what vendor you are using, ask him about the clouds - if they interfere with brilliance as they are grade setters, then if not, would it be a pain to have it sent on approval if in case you wanted to return it?

To me it looks like a very clean I1 - amazing for the size! I can see the feather on the outer edge but it is possible it is prongable and could be hidden. From the description I don't think anyone with casual scrutiny could see anything such as friends by the sound of it, if it wouldn't be a pain to return it if it didn't meet your expectations then it is worth seeing in person.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 5:03:29 AM

Hi Friend!

Not necessarily too much leakage at all, it depends what you want P. If you want a top cut diamond then you might want to look at some more, bearing in mind diamonds of this size are rare - but not everyone wants '' perfection'' this one has good proportions and might suit you for a ring - IF it is eyeclean, check very carefully there. What are the polish and symmetry grades, girdle and diameter? I can imagine this diamond is rather sizeable!

As to the clouds, I know '' the vendor'' will be completely honest with you if they are a problem. I would really be most concerned about the '' eyecleanliness'' factor here with such a huge diamond!
6.gif
35.gif

3.gif
1.gif
, actually a bit larger than what I''d really like but as you may know, I''ve been looking for something of this magnitude for a long time now and the price (because it is an I1) is quite attractive and suits our pocket much better.

The symmetry and polish are both Excellent as is the stated cut on the GIA report. The girdle is thin to medium. The other stats are (forget what they''re called) are 55 and 80.

You''ve hit it right there on the nail! Particularly because of its size, I''m quite concerned abt the eye-cleaniness, and also because it is an I1. Sure, there are inclusions, but apparently they are white and not horrible black crystals. My concern is whether the clouds are obscuring the light reflection (given ''clouds'' is listed first on the list of inclusions).

The vendor says that at 10 inches away, they can''t see anything but at 6 inches, they can (but it sounds like, from our discussion, that this person has particuarly good eye-sight).

Thank you.

Thanks for the info you posted above, you posted all the right numbers and proportions and it is all in order. Do you have the diameter?

I think I know what vendor you are using, ask him about the clouds - if they interfere with brilliance as they are grade setters, then if not, would it be a pain to have it sent on approval if in case you wanted to return it?
Good to see you too, as always, L!
1.gif

This diamond really is HUGE, it is about 11mm in diameter (and if there are any lurkers out there, you can forget about poaching this stone from me, because it''s already been held for me and the vendor says I have first dibs, so there!
3.gif
LOL).

The clouds are grade setters and the vendor says they do not affect the briliance of the stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 5:08:43 AM

Hi Friend!

6.gif
35.gif

3.gif
1.gif

You've hit it right there on the nail! Particularly because of its size, I'm quite concerned abt the eye-cleaniness, and also because it is an I1. Sure, there are inclusions, but apparently they are white and not horrible black crystals. My concern is whether the clouds are obscuring the light reflection (given 'clouds' is listed first on the list of inclusions).

The vendor says that at 10 inches away, they can't see anything but at 6 inches, they can (but it sounds like, from our discussion, that this person has particuarly good eye-sight).

Thank you.

1.gif

This diamond really is HUGE, it is about 11mm in diameter (and if there are any lurkers out there, you can forget about poaching this stone from me, because it's already been held for me and the vendor says I have first dibs, so there!
3.gif
LOL).

The clouds are grade setters and the vendor says they do not affect the briliance of the stone.
Hahaha! GOOD for you for foiling the lurkers!! A HUGE and well cut clean I1 is a rarity, so glad you have it on hold! Well I would tend to trust the vendor if he says the clouds aren't a negative - maybe if you have a good appraiser where you are P, you could take the diamond there while it is on approval, if you decide to send for it?

11mm????
3.gif
30.gif
6.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 5:12:38 AM

Hi Friend!

Not necessarily too much leakage at all, it depends what you want P. If you want a top cut diamond then you might want to look at some more, bearing in mind diamonds of this size are rare - but not everyone wants '' perfection'' this one has good proportions and might suit you for a ring - IF it is eyeclean, check very carefully there. What are the polish and symmetry grades, girdle and diameter? I can imagine this diamond is rather sizeable!

As to the clouds, I know '' the vendor'' will be completely honest with you if they are a problem. I would really be most concerned about the '' eyecleanliness'' factor here with such a huge diamond!
6.gif
35.gif

3.gif
1.gif
, actually a bit larger than what I''d really like but as you may know, I''ve been looking for something of this magnitude for a long time now and the price (because it is an I1) is quite attractive and suits our pocket much better.

The symmetry and polish are both Excellent as is the stated cut on the GIA report. The girdle is thin to medium. The other stats are (forget what they''re called) are 55 and 80.

You''ve hit it right there on the nail! Particularly because of its size, I''m quite concerned abt the eye-cleaniness, and also because it is an I1. Sure, there are inclusions, but apparently they are white and not horrible black crystals. My concern is whether the clouds are obscuring the light reflection (given ''clouds'' is listed first on the list of inclusions).

The vendor says that at 10 inches away, they can''t see anything but at 6 inches, they can (but it sounds like, from our discussion, that this person has particuarly good eye-sight).

Thank you.

1.gif

This diamond really is HUGE, it is about 11mm in diameter (and if there are any lurkers out there, you can forget about poaching this stone from me, because it''s already been held for me and the vendor says I have first dibs, so there!
3.gif
LOL).

Hahaha! GOOD for you for foiling the lurkers!! A HUGE and well cut clean I1 is a rarity, so glad you have it on hold! Well I would tend to trust the vendor if he says the clouds aren''t a negative - maybe if you have a good appraiser where you are P, you could take the diamond there while it is on approval, if you decide to send for it?

11mm????
3.gif
30.gif
6.gif
Excellent idea, L. I will ask about return period.

Yes, 11mm, can you imagine!?
1.gif
I''m actually quite excite about it to be honest!
30.gif
30.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 5:16:41 AM

Hi Friend!

6.gif
35.gif

3.gif
1.gif

Thank you.

1.gif

3.gif
LOL).

Hahaha! GOOD for you for foiling the lurkers!! A HUGE and well cut clean I1 is a rarity, so glad you have it on hold! Well I would tend to trust the vendor if he says the clouds aren''t a negative - maybe if you have a good appraiser where you are P, you could take the diamond there while it is on approval, if you decide to send for it?

11mm????
3.gif
30.gif
6.gif

1.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Oh I am trying to imagine.....
9.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
That would be some SERIOUS finger coverage there!!!!
11.gif

And I am really excited for you too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 5:24:19 AM

Date: 4/2/2009 5:16:41 AM

Hi Friend!

6.gif
35.gif

3.gif
1.gif

Thank you.

1.gif

3.gif
LOL).

11mm????
3.gif
30.gif
6.gif

1.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Oh I am trying to imagine.....
9.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
That would be some SERIOUS finger coverage there!!!!
11.gif

And I am really excited for you too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you, my dear friend.
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most welcome sweetheart, I am REALLY excited and keep me posted!!! Can''t you tell I am excited???
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can''t really help on your questions of the clarity, and would people be able to see, etc. I just wanted to comment on the size.

yikes2.gif
<-------- This is all I can say on that.
lol.gif
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 8:16:50 AM
Author: Ellen
I can''t really help on your questions of the clarity, and would people be able to see, etc. I just wanted to comment on the size.

yikes2.gif
2.gif
lol.gif
--------->

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Phoenix- Is this baby going to be one of a pair of earrings??
3.gif
I know you like them big
9.gif

Gorgeous stone.. and sounds like a great size value, if eye-clean. Yum.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 8:30:32 AM

Date: 4/2/2009 8:16:50 AM
Author: Ellen

yikes2.gif
2.gif
lol.gif
quote]
9.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
11mm?
jitteryfooguy.gif
Woohoo!!
36.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
would likely look nice from a distance not so nice up close both from a cut and clarity standpoint.
The so-so optical symmetry and added dark zones would become apparent up close.
I would be more comfortable with it in a pendant but the trade off is your decision.
Interesting stone that the pavilion mains are in the right place but the lower girdles are a bit goofy.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Brightness should be close to an ideal cut assuming the clouds don''t hurt it to bad, fire will be down some.
Basic combo comes out Plat. AGS1 potential given the IS AGS2 is more likely.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 2:47:01 AM
Author:Phoenix

(Btw, it'd be set in a ring)
There's your answer, icekid.
10.gif

But I can't quite put my head around the dimensions. 11mm?? Omg, is this a 7 carat rock? It looks as big as a kid's marble!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 10:12:06 AM
Author: DiamondFlame

Date: 4/2/2009 2:47:01 AM
Author:Phoenix

(Btw, it''d be set in a ring)
There''s your answer, icekid.
10.gif

But I can''t quite put my head around the dimensions. 11mm?? Omg, is this a 7 carat rock? It looks as big as a kid''s marble!
I am estimating as it is spready for the weight it is around or a bit more than 5 carats or so....''Tis BIG!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

That magnified pic looks pretty clean/good for an I1! Too bad you cannot get a video......

cheers--Sharon

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 10:31:17 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

That magnified pic looks pretty clean/good for an I1! Too bad you cannot get a video......

cheers--Sharon
I agree. Winks video was what made confident enough to buy my I1 diamond.

plethora23

Shiny_Rock
LOVE the size
30.gif
. You won''t need a halo on that one!
I''m interested to see if you find the stone acceptable clarity wise. What is the color? Did I miss that?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 12:22:34 PM
Author: plethora23
LOVE the size
30.gif
. You won''t need a halo on that one!
I''m interested to see if you find the stone acceptable clarity wise. What is the color? Did I miss that?
LOL!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Good heavens, that thing is the size of a small family farm!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 8:52:06 AM
Author: icekid
Phoenix- Is this baby going to be one of a pair of earrings??
3.gif
I know you like them big
9.gif

Gorgeous stone.. and sounds like a great size value, if eye-clean. Yum.
hope you''re talking about diamonds.
innocentwhistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results