shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of this I1 stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
it looks huge and very very yummy. A good I1 is hard to come by, so if you like it (and i assume the vendor has a great return policy too), grab it!
31.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks very much to everyone who has responded. It's a tough decision. Although the price is quite attractive, it's still a fair chunk of money, so I need to make sure that I'd really LOVE it. I've asked Dave Atlas to look over the stone for me. At the end of the day though, I know it'll still be *my* decision, but appreciate all the help I can get, to help me along that decision.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 9:35:59 AM
Author: strmrdr
would likely look nice from a distance not so nice up close both from a cut and clarity standpoint.
The so-so optical symmetry and added dark zones would become apparent up close.
I would be more comfortable with it in a pendant but the trade off is your decision.
Interesting stone that the pavilion mains are in the right place but the lower girdles are a bit goofy.
Thanks for your reply, Karl. I appreciate your taking the time to look at this and provide your input, since I (along with many many PS''ers, I am sure) highly appreciate yr opinions and viewpoints.

The stone would be set in a ring, not a pendant (am not much of a pendant or necklace kind of gal
1.gif
).

Could you pls explain what you mean in the area I''ve hightlighted? Thank you.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/2/2009 9:45:05 AM
Brightness should be close to an ideal cut assuming the clouds don''t hurt it to bad, fire will be down some.
Basic combo comes out Plat. AGS1 potential given the IS AGS2 is more likely.
The HCA says 1.9, and it''ll be in the TIC range. I don''t understand!
33.gif
. Sorry to be dense. Could you pls help understand this some more?

I fully expected that the stone wouldn''t be an AGS 0, given it''s not ideal cut, but AGS2 doesn''t sound too good! Do you think Dave would be able to confirm this once he''s got the stone in his hands? (I''ll email and ask him tonight).

Thanks again, Karl.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/3/2009 4:11:43 AM
Author: Phoenix

Brightness should be close to an ideal cut assuming the clouds don''t hurt it to bad, fire will be down some.
33.gif

I fully expected that the stone wouldn''t be an AGS 0, given it''s not ideal cut, but AGS2 doesn''t sound too good! Do you think Dave would be able to confirm this once he''s got the stone in his hands? (I''ll email and ask him tonight).

Thanks again, Karl.
P, thats great that Dave will be evaluating it for you, he will give you the straight scoop as to if this diamond might work for you or not, a trusted expert with the diamond in hand is the best way.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/3/2009 4:14:29 AM
Author: Lorelei

Brightness should be close to an ideal cut assuming the clouds don't hurt it to bad, fire will be down some.
The HCA says 1.9, and it'll be in the TIC range. I don't understand!
33.gif

I fully expected that the stone wouldn't be an AGS 0, given it's not ideal cut, but AGS2 doesn't sound too good! Do you think Dave would be able to confirm this once he's got the stone in his hands? (I'll email and ask him tonight).

Thanks again, Karl.
P, thats great that Dave will be evaluating it for you, he will give you the straight scoop as to if this diamond might work for you or not, a trusted expert with the diamond in hand is the best way.
Good morning, Lorelei!
35.gif

Yes, I feel good about asking Dave to look at the stone for me.

Do you think I should ask him to use both the DiamCalm and the ImaGem (haven't really finished reading the infor on PS as well as his website - there's just so much infor to absorb!)

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

33.gif

Thanks again, Karl.
large table+ shallow crown = less fire.
I ran the base combo thru DC to confirm it.
I don''t know if Dave has a sarin and the AGS software to get the AGS grade but he has other tools and his eyes.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/3/2009 4:18:22 AM

33.gif

Thanks again, Karl.
Good morning, Lorelei!
35.gif

Do you think I should ask him to use both the DiamCalm and the ImaGem (haven''t really finished reading the infor on PS about these - there''s just so much infor to absorb!)
Good morning P dear!

Dave will give you the details and let you know if it is worth pursuing, excellent way to proceed! As to the fire, it is a shallower diamond and it often follows the fire is down some as Strm mentions but again Dave will let you know how it rates in that aspect. As to the cut, we know it isn''t a super duper AGS0 cut but it is what we call a fine make and for the size it would be very difficult to find one this big which is of AGS0 cut quality anyway - especially for the price and if this I1 is eyeclean.

So to take stock

Pros
It has the size you love
Good quality cut
Price is right
I1 said to be eyeclean, very rare in this size
Good colour

Cons
Shallower cut, could be a very bright and brilliant diamond, fire could be down some as Strm says
Clarity - eyesights vary - could be eyeclean but no way to tell if it is eyeclean to YOU until you see it

As to what to get Dave to use, an ASET image would be very useful if he could arrange it. See what he suggests, I would love to see what he uses to evaluate this baby!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2009 4:07:08 AM

would likely look nice from a distance not so nice up close both from a cut and clarity standpoint.

I would be more comfortable with it in a pendant but the trade off is your decision.

Interesting stone that the pavilion mains are in the right place but the lower girdles are a bit goofy.

Thanks for your reply, Karl. I appreciate your taking the time to look at this and provide your input, since I (along with many many PS''ers, I am sure) highly appreciate yr opinions and viewpoints.

The stone would be set in a ring, not a pendant (am not much of a pendant or necklace kind of gal
1.gif
).

If everything was absolutely perfect(impossible to achieve but the best cuts get close) the IS would look like this.
The IS for your stone most of the deviation is between the arrows over the lower girdles compared to the perfect image.
Hope that helps, im off to bed have to be up in 5 hours.

phIS.jpg

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/3/2009 4:33:23 AM

Date: 4/3/2009 4:07:08 AM

1.gif
).

If everything was absolutely perfect(impossible to achieve but the best cuts get close) the IS would look like this.
The IS for your stone most of the deviation is between the arrows over the lower girdles compared to the perfect image.
Hope that helps, im off to bed have to be up in 5 hours.
Thank you sooo much, Karl.

Good night. Pleasant dreams.
1.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/3/2009 4:27:17 AM

Date: 4/3/2009 4:18:22 AM

33.gif

Thanks again, Karl.
Good morning, Lorelei!
35.gif

Do you think I should ask him to use both the DiamCalm and the ImaGem (haven''t really finished reading the infor on PS about these - there''s just so much infor to absorb!)
Good morning P dear!

Dave will give you the details and let you know if it is worth pursuing, excellent way to proceed! As to the fire, it is a shallower diamond and it often follows the fire is down some as Strm mentions but again Dave will let you know how it rates in that aspect. As to the cut, we know it isn''t a super duper AGS0 cut but it is what we call a fine make and for the size it would be very difficult to find one this big which is of AGS0 cut quality anyway - especially for the price and if this I1 is eyeclean.

So to take stock

Pros
It has the size you love
Good quality cut
Price is right
I1 said to be eyeclean, very rare in this size
Good colour

Cons
Shallower cut, could be a very bright and brilliant diamond, fire could be down some as Strm says
Clarity - eyesights vary - could be eyeclean but no way to tell if it is eyeclean to YOU until you see it

As to what to get Dave to use, an ASET image would be very useful if he could arrange it. See what he suggests, I would love to see what he uses to evaluate this baby!
Thank you sooo much, too, Lorelei dear.

It''s very helpful to list out the pros and cons like that.
1.gif

What I''ve also asked Jim to do is exactly that. It''ll have to be *my* eyes and I''ll have to LOVE it. If I don''t, then I''d like to have the option to return it.

I''m quite excited to see what Dave makes of this baby too!
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought that might help, I was torn between 2 cars a few months ago and writing it out really helped me! I am excited too to hear what Dave has to say as I really trust his opinion! I so hope it works out and you can get it!! As to the return policy I am sure the vendor won''t have a problem with that, just clarify to make sure if you send for it, then you have all your bases covered.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Keep us posted!
9.gif
How would you set it, do you know?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/3/2009 7:55:43 AM
Author: Ellen
Keep us posted!
9.gif
Well, I''ve spoken to Dave and once the diamond is in his hands on Monday, he''ll examine it straight away
36.gif

I''m almost too scared to think about setting, just in case I get too attached to the stone!
2.gif
1.gif

Having said that, it''s always fun to think about things like this. I was considering something like a Lynn B''s, but perhaps just a simple Tiffany-style one. I had my heart set on this LM for such a long time, but might save that for my 3 carater instead.

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=85

What do you think? Any suggestion?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2009 1:43:32 AM

Keep us posted!
9.gif
Well, I''ve spoken to Dave and once the diamond is in his hands on Monday, he''ll examine it straight away
36.gif

I''m almost too scared to think about setting, just in case I get too attached to the stone!
2.gif
1.gif

Having said that, it''s always fun to think about things like this. I was considering something like a Lynn B''s, but perhaps just a simple Tiffany-style one. I had my heart set on this LM for such a long time, but might save that for my 3 carater instead.

yes, find a matching stone and make it into a pair of earings.
23.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2009 1:55:23 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

Keep us posted!
9.gif
36.gif

2.gif
1.gif

yes, find a matching stone and make it into a pair of earings.
23.gif
DF, you''re always such a hoot!
9.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks like I''m slow to join in the fun, but it looks like a great value for the size/money stone. That size looks *awesome* and I bet it is an overall very pretty stone more sparkly than most.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Keep us posted!
9.gif
36.gif

2.gif
1.gif

That is a gorgeous Leon setting, but you could set that baby anyway and it will look incredible!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Keep us posted!
9.gif
36.gif

2.gif
1.gif

Ooooh, I can''t wait to hear what he says!!

As for the setting you linked, I think it''s very nice. That stone is going to be so commanding though, I don''t really know if it needs anything, and I wonder if anything else might get lost, yanno? If it were me I''d set it in something like this. I just think a simple setting is all you need (says the minimalist). But, I know that may be boring to you, and as Lorelei said, it will be gorgeous no matter how you set it.
5.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2009 7:27:17 AM

Keep us posted!
9.gif
36.gif

2.gif
1.gif

As for the setting you linked, I think it''s very nice. That stone is going to be so commanding though, I don''t really know if it needs anything, and I wonder if anything else might get lost, yanno? If it were me I''d set it in something likethis. I just think a simple setting is all you need (says the minimalist). But, I know that may be boring to you, and as Lorelei said, it will be gorgeous no matter how you set it.
5.gif
Oh I love this, a diamond that size would have that lovely scoopy champagne glass curve on the head - YUM!!!!!
31.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 7:48:23 AM

As for the setting you linked, I think it''s very nice. That stone is going to be so commanding though, I don''t really know if it needs anything, and I wonder if anything else might get lost, yanno? If it were me I''d set it in something likethis. I just think a simple setting is all you need (says the minimalist). But, I know that may be boring to you, and as Lorelei said, it will be gorgeous no matter how you set it.
5.gif
Oh I love this, a diamond that size would have that lovely scoopy champagne glass curve on the head - YUM!!!!!
31.gif
I know. *swoon*
love1.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2009 7:57:51 AM

5.gif
31.gif
I know. *swoon*
love1.gif
HI:

Double swoon. The simplier the better--it don''t need no fussin''!!

cheers--Sharon

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 9:22:10 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Double swoon. The simplier the better--it don't need no fussin'!!

cheers--Sharon
lol.gif
Well put!

p.s. Sharon, Christmas was a few months ago. I'm jus sayin.....
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2009 7:57:51 AM

5.gif
31.gif
I know. *swoon*
love1.gif
I can just see it.....
30.gif
Thats my choice!!!
16.gif
41.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2009 9:25:32 AM

HI:

cheers--Sharon
lol.gif
Well put!

p.s. Sharon, Christmas was a few months ago. I''m jus sayin.....
9.gif
9.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2009 9:30:49 AM

Date: 4/4/2009 9:25:32 AM

HI:

cheers--Sharon
lol.gif
Well put!

p.s. Sharon, Christmas was a few months ago. I''m jus sayin.....
9.gif
9.gif
HI:

I know! I was thinkin the same thing--but cannot find something cool/good! Gotta run to my seminar--sorry for the hjack Phoenix!

cheers--Sharon

cheers--Sharon

sarah95

Shiny_Rock
Any updates on the diamond?? I''m interested to know what Dave had to say about this beauty.
1.gif

:)

Brilliant_Rock
1237364wv9ymega33.gif

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone, for your input.

Well, I have tiny updates:

1) the stone has not gone to Dave yet, though I have been talking to both Dave and the vendor; and
2) I have a quotation from LM for the setting in the linky i posted, for a whopping $6,880! Well, that's that then!
7.gif

So, I think I'm going to for a simpler setting for this stone, something like a Tiffany-style knife edge. Lorelei, Ellen and Canuk-gal, I think you're right, something this big ain't gonna need much adornment!
3.gif
1.gif
. It's gonna shine all on its own!
9.gif
. In fact, I may not have it reset into any LM for the time being, due to the prohibitive costing as well as the longer time it'd take.

Later, I may reset my 3 carater to a more elaborate setting, something that would make that baby pop and look bigger. I do like them big!
2.gif
9.gif

Any suggestion for either of the stones? I may go for a LM later, but not right now.

Thanks.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results