shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of these dresses?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Aww...do I have to? She''s gonna be mad....
32.gif

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
ha ha ha,
I''m impulsive.
to be honest with you, I have no IDEA what the difference is between the Nakita and the Ophelia except the color. I KNOW there must be some difference, because there is a price dfference.
When I tried the dress on, the saleslady told me it was Ophelia. I loved the cut of it, but wanted the champagne color (l tried on a Winnie Couture that had a simliar color that looked better with my skin tone.)
I thought about the dress all night, went back the next day and ordered it---turned out it didn''t come in champagne because iti was Nakita---so I ordered Ophelia---without actually trying it on (the bridal shop didn''t have it)!!!! oh, maybe I''m crazy, it can''t be THAT different.
Guess I''ll find out!!!
I keep looking at the two pictures and see very little difference, maybe a bit more lace on the Ophelia--what the heck, I''m not worried, I''m excited!
19.gif

rms

Brilliant_Rock
Brightspot...
I really love #1, and think the ribbon is awesome. Is #3 a Maggie? What is the name of that one? Of course #4 is also awesome, too bad that it is discontinued. but could you get it somewhere if you really wanted it?

I was all ready to tell you to go for #1, but then you started talking about so many other Maggie dresses....so now the whole story changes....hehe.

I was a Maggie bride, and I personally don''t think you''d go wrong with any of them. I LOVE Tybee''s dress, the lace is just so beautiful. Tayla that you said you liked is also beautiful. Brenda looks so elegant in that photo. Is almost looks like a ballroom skirt, even thought it is considered a-line.

OK, I have been no help whatsoever....sorry. I just love looking at all your choices and sharing in your shopping experience.

I will tell you what I think the biggest advantage of the Maggie corset dresses is.....no undergarments required!! As they once said on SNL, "Just cinch it"

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
jellybean, as usual, thanks for the very practical advice!
2.gif
Unfortunately, dress #4 has been discontinued, so it''s no longer an option. I''m glad you told me about your train loop horror story so I''ll avoid the loop at all costs! It sounds like it would be super annoying, especially if you plan to dance at your wedding, which I do!
9.gif

Also, thanks for your review on the chicken cutlet bras. I think they''d be especially sticky/itchy in the tropics.

I have indeed considered a bridesmaid dress in white. Where did your friend who had the dest. wedding get her dress? Do you have any pics of her wedding?

You''re right that it could be much cooler, not to mention less expensive, than a wedding dress. I saw a couple of Vera Wang BM dresses that are lovely & I adore the Lazaro dresses Diamonds4Me posted as well. My only concerns going this route are the following:
- I do want at least a little train on my gown. To me, a train makes the difference between a wedding dress & a dress. I haven''t found too many BM dresses with trains.
- I want the dress to be white, not ivory. White''s just so much more flattering on me.
- I''m not sure if I could visualize the dress in white if I try it on in a color, ya know? What if I don''t like it when it arrives?

So if I could address the concerns above, I''d be totally open to getting a BM dress.

Tybee, I compared the Ophelia & Nakita pics last night & the cut seems to be identical. The only thing that jumped out at me as being different is that the wasit seemed to be more dropped on the Nakita & the lace around the dropped waist was thicker. Also, the Ophelia seemed to have more lace on the bodice. The champagne color is gorgous---I can''t wait to see it on you! You know, when you know, you know! Also, the fact that it''s a corset back dress gives you a bit of leeway on the sizing. I wouldn''t worry for a second!

LOL, rms! I know, I''m fickle!
19.gif
I love #1 too, my only concern is if it''s bridal enough. (Does it look like a BM dress that I ordered in white?) It''s about same price as #3, which is a Maggie as well, but #3 just looks more like a wedding dress to me... #3 is Maggie''s Audra, but I haven''t been able to find it in a bridal shop anywhere! It''s killing me! I really want to try it on....
7.gif
Yeah, I''m bummed that #4 is discontinued. Oh well.

I tried on your dress, btw, and loved it, but the beading under the arm was a little scratchy for me. (I guess I have really sensitive skin?) I think the Maggie chiffon dresses are just so ethereal looking. I also love the corset backs! No bra needed & there''s a bit of leeway in the fit in case you gain or lose a bit of weight before the wedding! It must save tons of money on alterations too!

I love Tybee''s dress too--just gorgeous! Ooh...you said the magic word to me (ballroom skirt). That''s just my fantasy--sweeping around the ballroom with a floaty skirt like that!!!
9.gif
Seems unlikely to happen in Jamaica, though... I''m having a hard time finding the Brenda in a store too. Maybe these 2 dresses are too new? I could order one from BrideSave w/o trying it on first, but that seems a bit risky. I could return it & get a refund minus the 15% restocking fee.

Oh, girls, I''m just so confused! I''ll let you know how my appointment goes tomorrow. Thanks for your thoughts!!!

Dodger Gurl

Shiny_Rock
Ophelia is on the left, Nakita is on the right. They are both gorgeous!

oph-nak01.jpg

Dodger Gurl

Shiny_Rock
Close-up of the bodices.

oph-nak02.JPG

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Dodger Gurl-
I LOVE you for posting those pictures!!!!!!
Looking at the two makes me giddy.
I''m glad that I bought the Ophelia...there''s just something about
it to me!
Oh thanks for posting!!!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Giddy Tybee

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
the two styles do seem REALLY similar. I had never noticed how close they were before. I suspect that the skirt is made from a different material. The Ophelia looks softer than Nakita

Hmm - maybe not

Description of Nakita (from maggiesottero.com)
One-piece strapless slim A-line gown with corset back. The satin bodice is ornamented with romantic embroidery. The sophisticated dropped waistline is accented with a ruched embroidered tulle band. The delicate embroidered tulle lace creates a fluid skirt and illusion chapel train

Description of Ophelia
One-piece strapless slim A-line gown with corset back. The satin bodice is ornamented with romantic lace appliqu‚s. The sophisticated dropped waistline is accented with a ruched tulle band. The enchanting use of lace is repeated on the waist and embellishes the tulle skirt and illusion sweep train.

Is one of the laces appliqued and the other embroidered? How do you even tell the difference?

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly,

The women at the bridal shop kept telling me that I was trying on Ophelia, but when I went to order it in diamond white and champagne (shown on the model--it makes the lace really stand out vs. the white where I felt like the lace would be lost in picutures) it turned out it was the Nakita, which only comes in white and diamond white. I had to bring a picture of the model wearing the Ophelia to order it.

Ophelia was more expensive too, I''m not sure why, but I paid about 200 more to get the color I wanted.
According to my FI''s theory on almost everything, if it''s more expensive, it must be better LOL.

I can''t wait until my first fitting in December. I will take a million pictures.

Ty

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
I called my friend last night and we sat on the internet together and found the dress she wore to her destination wedding. It''s a Jim Hjelm Bm dress. Hers was more sleek than the dresses you are looking at (meaning less embellishment) and she didn''t wear a veil, but several small orchids in her updoo. I don''t have any pics - she is going to send some to me. Her dress didn''t have a train either but she said she felt like a bride wearing this. I''ve always liked this dress.

jh8525.jpg

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
You guys are awesome! Dodger Gurl, thanks for posting the Ophelia/Nakita comparison shots!

MelissaSue, judging from the description you posted, the fabric/lace on the 2 dresses is different--higher quality on the Ophelia--and the Ophelia has a shorter train. The lines of the 2 dresses seem to be identical, though.

LOL re: if it''s more expensive, it must be better! Tybee, you''re going to look just stunning in your dress! I agree that the contrast of the lace vs. the dress in the Ophelia will show up better in photos! I''m so excited to try on the Nakita today!

Jellybean, thanks so much for chatting w/ your friend! I''m looking forward to seeing her wedding pics. I think the dress you posted is lovely (Diamonds4me is considering it for her wedding) It would certainly be much cooler than the other dresses I''m looking at. Though I might like to have a train & a little more fabric in the skirt. I think I''d be willing to sacrifice a bit of coolness & comfort for this.
3.gif
I kinda feel like if I don''t have a veil, I''d at least like a bit of a train. And a tiara.
28.gif

abradabra

Shiny_Rock
Eep! I only have two seconds to post because I''m about to run off for an appointment, but I wanted to add two suggestions to the mix...

1. Nicole Miller Bridal (one of my destination bride friends wore her--the dress was gorgeous and beach-perfect--a lot of the dresses have a slightly more bridesmaid silouhette, but are still super bridal)

2. Saeyoung Vu Couture (lots of sheaths--very fashion forward)

Gotta run--good luck dress hunting--I''m enjoying lurking in this thread!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
this seems like a nice choice for a princess on the beach in jamaica

mga527m.jpg

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
What are you doing on PS, abracadabra?! Go get married!! Have a wonderful wedding!!!
2.gif

Seriously, thanks for the suggestions. I love several of the Nicole Miller dresses (though they won''t save me any money over the Maggies!)

Oh, belle, I agree w/ you 100%......and it''s driving me crazy!
32.gif
I can''t find either the dress you just posted above (MS Brenda) or your other favorite, MS Audra (#3) anyplace!
29.gif
I''m dying to try them on!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
oooohhhh...sorry brightspot!
20.gif

i just love the lines on both of those dresses....very nice.

i do think ophelia and nakita are beautifull too
18.gif

keep us posted!

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
I love the lines on those dresses too---the clean white chiffon with just a hint of sparkle.
2.gif
They look almost diaphanous to me. This was my original "vision" for my dress.

But then I see these gorgeous lace dresses & they''re just so beautiful & romantic. It''s a tough call. I''m hoping that I''ll try one on & I''ll just know....

Speaking of trying on dresses, only 1 hour to go!
9.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''ll be looking forward to your report!
36.gif

have fun!

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
What do you guys think? Here''s a pic of me in Maggie Sottero''s Nakita (disregard the weird look on my face)

MS Nakita front.jpg

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
And me in Maggie''s Tayla. Note that the Nakita was in size 6 & Tayla was in size 12 (hence the manual cinching!)
3.gif

MS Tayla.jpg

rms

Brilliant_Rock
oh BrightSpot,
you look great in both of them, but of the 2 I have to say that I think Tayla looks gorgeous on you. What are your first thoughts? Did you get to try on others?

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
I have to agree -- there is something about the Tayla that is just gorgeous on you! (Although the other one is great as well!) That style is very flattering on you and it doesn''t look too heavy/hot for a tropical wedding!

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Tayla FOR SURE!! What a gorgeous dress! You have a fabulous figure!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my those are just gorgeous and so are you!!!! Just look at your figure, you go girl!!!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
ohhh I like Tayla! I wore Sarchi. Or at least a knockoff of it

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2005 4:56:10 PM
Author: BrightSpot
LOL--very good point, Matatora!
2.gif
I would definitely not want to look too busty in a dress, especially one like #1. I'm not incredibly busty (probably a light C cup), so I don't think it would be a problem, but I won't know until I try it on to see. I think the bra choice would make a lot of difference.

Speaking of bras, has anyone tried those stick-on bras? (I hope this isn't too obscene to post!
emembarrassed.gif
)

bsincreaserm.jpg

Yes, I have one. It does not give support per se but can help shape and fill you out if you need it. I am a 32D and I got the C cup. I am also in my 50's [and I lost 50 lbs. 30 years ago and have not "recovered" shall we say] so I am droopier than most [even though most would consider me thin - size 2 - 4]. I find this stick on bra works for me if the dress/top/bathing suit has enough structure. If you are only looking for support [eg you need to wear a bra] I'd look elsewhere.

Blu

PS The dress you modeled [Sotero #1] looks great on you. I don't think you need to put anything uderneath. But if you do devide to do the stick-on it looks like the dress would support it well.

ETA Oops, I ment Sottero #2, the Talia!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Yes, and I can''t spell/type/proofread! Sorry.

Anyway, I think the Sottero #2 looks grat on you. Of the ones you posted I would pick that one.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow...they both look great! i think i like the nakita better on you, but i don''t know if that is because the tayla isn''t fitted properly?
you will be beautiful in either....go with what feels right.

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Brightspot!
You are gorgeous!!
Wow, both are so flattering. You know that I am partial, to the Nakita/Ophelia dresses, and the Nakita is so very flattering on your waist!
You''ve got me wanting to do some more sit ups!
Beautiful! Fun, wasn''t it?
Which did you like best?

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, and the corset back of the Maggies might make it so that you don''t need to wear anything underneath. I know that I don''t, but my chest is significantly more boyish than yours.
(jealous again!!!
21.gif
)
Oooh, you look so pretty!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results