shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think of NESW (North/East/South/West) settings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pepsi_corp

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
I was just wondering what kind of input and opinions people had of North-East-South-West settings for engagement rings. This one here from Birks, is probably among the nicest simple solitaires I have seen in real life:

http://www.birks.com/index.asp?SKU=895286&SecID=64&CatID=712&LangID=1

I know more than a few girls who have given similar praise upon seeing it. That being said, why is it one of the least popular settings for a ring?? It is not offered by many of the popular online vendors and is hardly discussed on pricescope.

Part of the reason I ask is because one of the custom wax moulds I am having done is based on a N-E-S-W setting with my own twist to it.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 4:53:47 AM
Author:pepsi_corp
Hi all,
I was just wondering what kind of input and opinions people had of North-East-South-West settings for engagement rings. This one here from Birks, is probably among the nicest simple solitaires I have seen in real life:

I know more than a few girls who have given similar praise upon seeing it. That being said, why is it one of the least popular settings for a ring?? It is not offered by many of the popular online vendors and is hardly discussed on pricescope.

Part of the reason I ask is because one of the custom wax moulds I am having done is based on a N-E-S-W setting with my own twist to it.
I don''t honestly know.

You might try posting this in "show me the ring" also, or ask the admin to move this there, I think you''d get a lot more responses/opinions in there. Many of the ladies on the board don''t frequent RT.
28.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 7:23:52 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 3/4/2009 4:53:47 AM
Author:pepsi_corp
Hi all,

I don''t honestly know.

You might try posting this in ''show me the ring'' also, or ask the admin to move this there, I think you''d get a lot more responses/opinions in there. Many of the ladies on the board don''t frequent RT.
28.gif
Good idea.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
I think they're fun! And there are a few threads discussing them, along with some pictures. I think that some people shy away from them because they have the same problem sitting flush with a wedding band that most 6 prongs have.
1.gif

Here are a few I found:

unloud's princess https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/on-point-angled-star-set-kite-set-whatever-you-call-it-princess-cut-diamond.92117/

sophiastarset.jpg

Here's a thread with a bunch of pics: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/north-east-south-west-prong-settings-help.91527/

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Part of the problem when searching is that people call this style different things. North South, Compass, Kite Set, Star-set. It gets confusing.

Here's another from trickymicky69: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-aca-52-carat-sleekline-compass-set.95059/

wf1.jpeg.jpg

ETA: Also, if the jeweler isn't really, really, REALLY careful, your points can end up off center. This happened to me when I tried to have a N/S/E/W setting done, and about drove me up the wall because they weren't perfectly symmetrical.

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
wow.. that princess one is really nice...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks gecko!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 8:24:09 AM
Thanks gecko!
9.gif

This setting style is one I was considering for a while, so I did a lot of looking, LOL!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 8:27:06 AM
Author: geckodani

Date: 3/4/2009 8:24:09 AM
Thanks gecko!
9.gif

This setting style is one I was considering for a while, so I did a lot of looking, LOL!
Ah ha!
2.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 9:08:52 AM
Author: atroop711

Date: 3/4/2009 8:13:14 AM
One from Knox Jewelers that is gorgeous: http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=261&rn=1439&action=show_detail

nsew%20prongs.jpg

Thanks for posting this link. My mom just lost her E-ring (she got it in 1966) and this looks EXACTLY like it. Oh how I was so sad to see this pic..but now I know where I can get her the setting!
Aw!
39.gif
Poor mom! But yay that you may have found a replacement!!!

pepsi_corp

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 8:15:25 AM
Part of the problem when searching is that people call this style different things. North South, Compass, Kite Set, Star-set. It gets confusing.

Here''s another from trickymicky69: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-aca-52-carat-sleekline-compass-set.95059/

wf1.jpeg.jpg

ETA: Also, if the jeweler isn''t really, really, REALLY careful, your points can end up off center. This happened to me when I tried to have a N/S/E/W setting done, and about drove me up the wall because they weren''t perfectly symmetrical.

Thanks Everyone!

GeckoDani:I am quite impressed with the Whiteflash compass version you posted. The mould I am waiting for will be similar in terms of the ring tapering in as it gets to the head, except the prongs will look different. I also noted what you had posted earlier about the band not fitting, which seems to be the case in the first pic you posted in this thread. I wonder if tapering close to the head will help avoid this??

One more question Geckdani - You mentioned you ended up going for NESW setting. Any regrets or challenges w/ the design (after fixing the off-center problem), or were you and the significant other quite happy with it in the end??

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
I love NESW settings and always stop to look at that setting when I'm at Birks! I do like them when they taper in towards the stone. Those ones that geckodani posted are gorgeous; I especially like msees fluid setting.
30.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2009 11:40:08 AM
Author: pepsi_corp

Date: 3/4/2009 8:15:25 AM

Here''s another from trickymicky69: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wf-aca-52-carat-sleekline-compass-set.95059/

ETA: Also, if the jeweler isn''t really, really, REALLY careful, your points can end up off center. This happened to me when I tried to have a N/S/E/W setting done, and about drove me up the wall because they weren''t perfectly symmetrical.

Thanks Everyone!

GeckoDani:I am quite impressed with the Whiteflash compass version you posted. The mould I am waiting for will be similar in terms of the ring tapering in as it gets to the head, except the prongs will look different. I also noted what you had posted earlier about the band not fitting, which seems to be the case in the first pic you posted in this thread. I wonder if tapering close to the head will help avoid this??

One more question Geckdani - You mentioned you ended up going for NESW setting. Any regrets or challenges w/ the design (after fixing the off-center problem), or were you and the significant other quite happy with it in the end??
I had a star sapphire set in a N/S 4 prong... but the off kilter prongs weren''t the only problems the ring had, and I ended up getting a refund on the setting. I still have yet to reset that stone. There was nothing wrong with the fundamental design, just with the execution of the setting.

As for the flush fit, the tapered band will help, although there will still be a bit of a gap near the head, as there would be with any tapered band.
1.gif
I have a teensy gap, as do most folks I think.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results