shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think about this antique 1905 2ct rose cut diamond halo?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I love your ring!!! Congratulations!!!

JLS

Rough_Rock
This ring is beautiful and looks perfect on you. Of course, only you can decide, but I feel that if you ever did find that it was too large [usually diamonds look smaller to you after a while], I think you would not have any trouble finding a new owner for it!
You can go ahead and put me on that list :lol:

[edit: this from someone who has several regrets about the ones that got away].

That’s true! I never thought about the possibility of reselling if I changed my mind. I wish my return window wasn’t so short!

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I think the ring is really gorgeous and looks lovely on your hand, but only you can decide if it is right for you :) Good luck deciding!

Kate_L

Rough_Rock
Hi,

The ring looks perfect on your hand! If I were you, I would keep it.

AntiqueSparkle

Shiny_Rock
Your ring is gorgeous... I loved it when I first saw it on VC. I vote definitely keep!!

Reactions: JLS

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely love it. Love love LOVE it. I love the size on you, I love its uniqueness and the contrast between the rose cut and the halo in particular. Delicious!! :lickout:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally really enjoy it. I don't think it looks too large, diamond shrinkage syndrome is real and you'll adjust quickly most likely as most of us do.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
JLS
The ring is unique, I have never seen anything like it. Congrats for finding it.
Also it flatters your fingers, you have very attractive fingers so it seems to just belong there. I say it is a keeper.. Good luck.

JLS

Rough_Rock
JLS
The ring is unique, I have never seen anything like it. Congrats for finding it.
Also it flatters your fingers, you have very attractive fingers so it seems to just belong there. I say it is a keeper.. Good luck.

That’s what I said too when I first saw it, it’s so incredibly unique and it’s history makes it even more so! Thanks so much for the feedback!!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think your fantasy of recreating this ring with smaller proportions and then somehow feeling totally 100% OK with it is just that... a fantasy. Recreating the ring might make it a few mm smaller in one direction or another. It would still be a bold and eye-catching style. That is the nature of the beast. I think you should give yourself permission to wear something you love, something frivolous and purely aesthetic, and stop ruminating on solutions to the anxiety that prospect causes. The ring is gorgeous! You love it. Enjoy it.

JLS

Rough_Rock
I absolutely love it. Love love LOVE it. I love the size on you, I love its uniqueness and the contrast between the rose cut and the halo in particular. Delicious!! :lickout:

I think the contrast is my favorite part! I usually dislike halos because a lot of the time they just look like an extension of the center stone

JLS

Rough_Rock
I think your fantasy of recreating this ring with smaller proportions and then somehow feeling totally 100% OK with it is just that... a fantasy. Recreating the ring might make it a few mm smaller in one direction or another. It would still be a bold and eye-catching style. That is the nature of the beast. I think you should give yourself permission to wear something you love, something frivolous and purely aesthetic, and stop ruminating on solutions to the anxiety that prospect causes. The ring is gorgeous! You love it. Enjoy it.

You couldn’t be more on point with the fantasy aspect. I think that trying to recreate it with a regular cut oval would yield a totally different look, one that I’m not sure I’d like, plus the size wouldn’t end up being much smaller. My husband loves this ring more than anything else I show him, so I think I need to just get over the size anxiety and embrace it.

I think my biggest fear is eventually not loving the fact that the rose cut just doesn’t have the same allure as a standard diamond cut, even though those typically bore me because they’re so common.

Reactions: AV_

JLS

Rough_Rock
Your ring is gorgeous... I loved it when I first saw it on VC. I vote definitely keep!!

I’m drooling over your ring!!

JLS

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for weighing in. It’s been so incredibly helpful to have your insight. I love that you guys see the beauty in it that I do! I showed my mom last night and she told me that it doesn’t look like a “real” diamond and that I’ll regret not going with something else in the future. So that has me freaked out a little bit. I want to make my decision by tomorrow morning so that I can let the vendor know if I’m keeping it or not. Today should be fun :dance:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@JLS At this point, I would ask for the right kind of diamond as a gift. [footnote: neither of my two mothers handed such scaldings - one knew better, the other kept them for herself; TMI]

I am surprised by your ring - the fact that the rose cut is neither double [or cut with a pavilion] nor backed; it would have not been conventional at any time, so I find it very current. It is also very, very much my own taste. I've been pining for a colorless cabochon for ages [forshame].

Last edited:

JLS

Rough_Rock
I love the ring and it looks elegant on your beautiful hand BUT if it doesn’t satisfy all your wants then let it go. I agree with PP that a possible antique moval/oval will do it for you, I have an antique cut marquis that is so different from the modern cuts and absolutely love it.

my chunky antique compared to a modern, the cut is just so different and it has larger flashes.
814426C2-F287-4223-B995-92254C0A7581.jpeg

start looking at fancy antique cuts, I think you will love them

Wow your rings are absolutely stunning! And I totally love the chunkyness of the antique cut! If I do decide to move onto something else, it will be an antique cut for sure. I’d love to try and recreate a smaller version of this ring with an antique cut, I just fear that I’d lose the unique look that this one has.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
If I do decide to move onto something else, it will be an antique cut

Would seeing a layout [not set] of an old style brilliant oval surrounded by twelve rounds help? I do not remember a ring like that, but one or two shops could put together such arrays for demonstration; likely not in the sizes or grades you want, but in photography only proportions matter.

JLS

Rough_Rock
Would seeing a layout [not set] of an old style brilliant oval surrounded by twelve rounds help? I do not remember a ring like that, but one or two shops could put together such arrays for demonstration; likely not in the sizes or grades you want, but in photography only proportions matter.

Yes! That would help hugely. I’m just not sure I’d be able to find a place that would be able to show me that by tomorrow :confused:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Romantic and swoonworthy. From an era gone by where life was gentle and sweet. The romanticized version. That’s what this ring represents. And your reaction says it all. Meant to be yours. ❤️

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your new ring doesn’t look too big on you. If anything, I think your old one looks gigantic due to the MRB. The rose cut is subtle and elegant.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Yes! That would help hugely. I’m just not sure I’d be able to find a place that would be able to show me that by tomorrow

I can only think of the obvious - gemconcepts.net

At worst, they cannot put the demonstrative shot together for some reason; I cannot know. @diagem

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Well, I think it's fabulous but of course you are the one wearing it so your opinion is the one that really matters.

I do think that living with it for a bit will help because right now you are in lust, it's all new and sparkly, it's like the dating phase.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very, very pretty! Follow your heart.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s gorgeous on you
Hard call to predict if the couple downsides you see in having a large rose cut will subside or persist as time goes on.

JLS

Rough_Rock
Wow! Well, I think it's fabulous but of course you are the one wearing it so your opinion is the one that really matters.

I do think that living with it for a bit will help because right now you are in lust, it's all new and sparkly, it's like the dating phase.

I really wish I had longer than 5 days to decide!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really wish I had longer than 5 days to decide!!

So two of your main concerns relate directly to the diamond itself, size and whether it will be perceived as a diamond.

Regarding size, a lot of folks find that after initially thinking a stone is too large it becomes less so over time.

As far as being concerned it won't be perceived as a diamond, well most people won't even notice unless they are jewelry folk. With people that do ask it will be a great opportunity to tell them about it, how neat that it is a different cut and the history behind it.

True you could have a piece replicated with a smaller diamond but then you will lose one of your "likes" which is the history behind this piece. Not trying to push you either way but just pointing out that the current cons may be less so in a years time.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
*Only speaking for myself here. For me, so much depends on what my initial impression or reaction is. What was that before all the other doubts crept in? For me gems and jewelry are so visual and ignites strong feelings one way or another.
Are you concerned that this may just be a passing infatuation or what others will think of it? Maybe these doubts are red flags and this isn’t for you, BUT make your decision based on that and not on what you THINK others will think. KWIM? Good luck figuring it out:wavey:

JLS

Rough_Rock
So two of your main concerns relate directly to the diamond itself, size and whether it will be perceived as a diamond.

Regarding size, a lot of folks find that after initially thinking a stone is too large it becomes less so over time.

As far as being concerned it won't be perceived as a diamond, well most people won't even notice unless they are jewelry folk. With people that do ask it will be a great opportunity to tell them about it, how neat that it is a different cut and the history behind it.

True you could have a piece replicated with a smaller diamond but then you will lose one of your "likes" which is the history behind this piece. Not trying to push you either way but just pointing out that the current cons may be less so in a years time.

Yes, those are exactly my two reservations with this ring. Not so much even the size, I like bigger rings and I think I could get used to it. But couple the bigger size with the not so common cut and I worry that it runs into the territory of looking more like a cocktail ring or costume jewelry rather than an engagement ring.

I am so grateful for your feedback!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I completely understand why this is such a hard decision for you. First of all, it is a truly amazing and very unique ring. I absolutely love the setting. I also think that the rose cut somehow works in it. I do not find it too large on you at all. Actually it is just simply stunning and flattering on your beautiful hand.

I struggled whether I should mention this and really contemplated whether I am “right”. I will mention it because it seems to somewhere bother you as well. I am not a rose cut fan and miss that beautiful fireworks an old cut stone would produce in that setting. I think an antique moval in a setting like this would be pure perfection. To me. To you? I do not know.

All this said the ring does work and the rose cut looks awesome in there. It is a real antique and it is just so different in a positive way.

What matters is how you feel about it. Do you really love it? Will you miss the chunky facets, light return of an old cut in there or will you be able to look at this ring as perfection to you every single day. This is what I would think over.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results