shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you think about this 2 carat AGS0?

MoreSparkle

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I was hoping to get your advice on this super ideal H SI1 that is a smidge over 2 carats.

I have yet to see the diamond in person so I’m not sure what to make of the clarity. I don’t care about inclusions at all so long as the stone is eye clean. Do any of the inclusions seem risky?

Also would love some input on whether an H may be too warm for a stone this size, and how the ASET/angles etc look.

Thank you!

62FCC5F3-673D-4A25-9830-485242E10E85.png 59B166FD-7FFD-4ADE-ACD1-22BA49CE0B86.png

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What did the vendor say about the eye cleanliness of the stone?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
'SuperIdeal' stones usually return so much light that any tint from the material itself is not visible, except from the side view :)

As for clarity... that is down to the eyes of the buyer / the intended recipient.

FWIW CBI cut their stones specifically to minimise/hide any impact of inclusions, so you are usually safe even at SI clarity.

Other superideal vendors are not the same, though, as I believe they have a number of different sources for their stones (but I may be wrong!)

You have no worries re: angles/ASET with a superideal.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any heart & arrow pics? Ideal scope pic? ASET ? video of the diamond?

MoreSparkle

Rough_Rock
What did the vendor say about the eye cleanliness of the stone?

I heard back right after I posted... it's totally eye clean!

'SuperIdeal' stones usually return so much light that any tint from the material itself is not visible, except from the side view :)

As for clarity... that is down to the eyes of the buyer / the intended recipient.

FWIW CBI cut their stones specifically to minimise/hide any impact of inclusions, so you are usually safe even at SI clarity.

Other superideal vendors are not the same, though, as I believe they have a number of different sources for their stones (but I may be wrong!)

You have no worries re: angles/ASET with a superideal.

Thank you! I was a little unsure about the crown/pavilion angles because I've seen people say that 40.9 works better with something closer to 34 (rather than 34.6) though maybe I have that wrong.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds/looks like a very nice SI1 2ct stone.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks great!! The angle guidelines we give are for people just learning about stones and trying to filter through tons of gia options. Once you've found a super ideal, you don't need to worry aboit the rest, bc it's guaranteed to be amazing. Obviously within super ideals people still have preferences, but they are all going to be great.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those look like Victor Canera (VC) images. If so, you are in good hands. The cut quality and specs look good.

The feather on the table seems to be the grade setting inclusion. I'd want to move the diamond around and ensure that feather doesn't become visible under different angles and different types of lighting environments.

Whomever the vendor, did you talk specifics on "eye clean"? Only asking because there is NO universal definition of "eye clean". Each vendor sets their own policy/definition. A very popular option is no inclusions visible to the naked eye within 10" looking at the top of the diamond in good lighting with 20/20 vision.

I mention this because I wonder if moving the diamond around as I described above would fall within their definition?

Also, I noticed you have a few clouds. These are listed as the 3rd (in this case, lowest) type of inclusion meaning they probably have no impact. By chance, on the left side of the cert, does it mention anything like "additional clouds not shown" or perhaps "grading based on clouds not shown"? I only ask because on an SI1 that could be an issue. It's probably nothing to worry about, but as a buyer I'd want to know and check before I pull the trigger.

As far as an H being too tinted, opinions will vary considerably. Many people consider H to be a breaking point where you can start to see a little tint. Remember, tint is always graded by looking at the side (pavilion) of the diamond. And with a super ideal, it will reflect light so well you likely won't see much (if any) tint from the top, but you may see tint from the side. Depending on the setting you are using, it may hide or expose the sides of the diamond.

If you and your fiancee are color sensitive and you are using a setting with an exposed pavilion then H may be too warm. If you aren't color sensitive and/or you are using a setting that hides some of the pavilion than an H is likely okay.

Before you assume one way or the other, I'd try to gain HER input. Women tend to be more color sensitive than us men. It doesn't always means it bothers them (color tolerant) but you never want to go to a zone they notice and find offensive.

FYI, I bought my fiancee an 0.867 H VS2. Under certain circumstances I can see a little tint. She saw it immediately but isn't bothered by it. When/if we upgrade again I will likely buy her a D-F color stone as a result. Also, as size increases, the size of the pavilion increases so both tint, inclusions, etc become more visible. So many times as you go up in size, many people believe it's a good idea to also go up in color & clarity.

Again, all personal preference. Just sharing some of the nuances of getting it right.

MoreSparkle

Rough_Rock
Those look like Victor Canera (VC) images. If so, you are in good hands. The cut quality and specs look good.

The feather on the table seems to be the grade setting inclusion. I'd want to move the diamond around and ensure that feather doesn't become visible under different angles and different types of lighting environments.

Whomever the vendor, did you talk specifics on "eye clean"? Only asking because there is NO universal definition of "eye clean". Each vendor sets their own policy/definition. A very popular option is no inclusions visible to the naked eye within 10" looking at the top of the diamond in good lighting with 20/20 vision.

I mention this because I wonder if moving the diamond around as I described above would fall within their definition?

Also, I noticed you have a few clouds. These are listed as the 3rd (in this case, lowest) type of inclusion meaning they probably have no impact. By chance, on the left side of the cert, does it mention anything like "additional clouds not shown" or perhaps "grading based on clouds not shown"? I only ask because on an SI1 that could be an issue. It's probably nothing to worry about, but as a buyer I'd want to know and check before I pull the trigger.

As far as an H being too tinted, opinions will vary considerably. Many people consider H to be a breaking point where you can start to see a little tint. Remember, tint is always graded by looking at the side (pavilion) of the diamond. And with a super ideal, it will reflect light so well you likely won't see much (if any) tint from the top, but you may see tint from the side. Depending on the setting you are using, it may hide or expose the sides of the diamond.

If you and your fiancee are color sensitive and you are using a setting with an exposed pavilion then H may be too warm. If you aren't color sensitive and/or you are using a setting that hides some of the pavilion than an H is likely okay.

Before you assume one way or the other, I'd try to gain HER input. Women tend to be more color sensitive than us men. It doesn't always means it bothers them (color tolerant) but you never want to go to a zone they notice and find offensive.

FYI, I bought my fiancee an 0.867 H VS2. Under certain circumstances I can see a little tint. She saw it immediately but isn't bothered by it. When/if we upgrade again I will likely buy her a D-F color stone as a result. Also, as size increases, the size of the pavilion increases so both tint, inclusions, etc become more visible. So many times as you go up in size, many people believe it's a good idea to also go up in color & clarity.

Again, all personal preference. Just sharing some of the nuances of getting it right.

Great eye @sledge! This is indeed a VC stone that we have decided to go with. I would upload the video but I don't think he has one up for the public.

The report does say "additional clouds and surface graining not shown" which made me a little nervous, but we specifically asked VC if this was eye clean from 6 inches, from the top and sides, and he assured us that it definitely was, and that he expected it to be a VS2. I stared at the video until I got dizzy and I could barely see any inclusions (nor could SO), so my mind is at ease regarding the clarity.

SO and I are not very color sensitive (we visited VC's offices a while back, and could barely tell two color grades apart... SO even thought a G was warmer than an I), so we're not terribly concerned about the H, though I do worry that we may grow more color sensitive over time, as we're both still diamond novices.

I am starting to think more about the best setting now. When we started our search initially, we were leaning towards a G in the Jocelyn. https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-jocelyn-with-scalloped-basket Now that we've picked the stone in H, a part of me wonders if the sides of Jocelyn are too open, and maybe something in six prongs may be a better mask for the color. Thoughts?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results