shape
carat
color
clarity

What do you do for a living & do you like your job?

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not really a lot. Up until I began writing, everything was just an arm of psychology. If you work with kids in psych, you'll ultimately work with disputing families. So dispute resolution was inevitable. While working on custody disputes, I worked with a lot of lawyers, who asked me to consult on various cases. That led to corporate work, and from there into government work. The work with fostered children was just another arm of the same. When I first started in dispute resolution, it was a fairly new field and had only recently become government regulated, so not many people were qualified, and a lot of us moved around a fair bit. A lot of us also knew each other, so we cross-consulted often. My masters in dispute res. is through the law faculty, so my qualifications are largely psych, with an overtone of law. I originally began a law degree when I left high school, but ended up switching to psych, so making my way back to a law faculty was profesisonally satisfying. I was offered a PhD with part time lecturing at the end of my master's, but that's when DH and I moved to the UK, so I had to decline. The PhD was at Harvard and I lived in Sydney at the time, but, as it turns out, I now live just outside Boston. So talk about a classic example of the timing being off....

The books are about kids in conflict, and I'd been planning to write a series of books all my life, so it was no huge step. I don't want to be seen to be promoting this on PS, but if you contact me via my listing on LT, I'll email you details. The listing is in the loose diamonds section and the title is something about a pair of ACA's.

And this is a thread I've wanted to see for ages! I'm so interested to know more about my PS friends! What an impressive bunch!

I will do that! Thanks for taking the time to write back - your career pathway is really interesting to me - psych and law are two areas I love!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I've been out in the field the whole time!
I was annoyed at first and frankly quite upset that I had to continue to visit grocery stores. But I've gotten over it. I can't be afraid to be out among other people. As long as everyone wears the mask and social distances, I'm OK.
The job doesn't pay very well, but there are so many perks, I just don't want to think of doing anything else. They pay our gas, meals when we're out of town, and I get a car allowance that covers insurance and maintenance. Plus, my awesome boss lets me work four 10 hr. days, so I always have 3 day weekends.

My hubby runs restaurants and he goes to work every day, and has gotten used to it. He gets tested for COVID every two weeks, so they can assure the clients that they are currently negative. When he first went back, he felt the same as you did (I think), but he got used to it quickly and takes all the proper precautions that he can.

I gotta tell you, I've had jobs I HATED where the money was really good - and it wasn't worth it. Loving a job is SO much more important, because you spend so much of your life doing it. And having that extra day off is worth A LOT in terms of quality of life. Sounds like you really hit the jackpot!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hubby runs restaurants and he goes to work every day, and has gotten used to it. He gets tested for COVID every two weeks, so they can assure the clients that they are currently negative. When he first went back, he felt the same as you did (I think), but he got used to it quickly and takes all the proper precautions that he can.

I gotta tell you, I've had jobs I HATED where the money was really good - and it wasn't worth it. Loving a job is SO much more important, because you spend so much of your life doing it. And having that extra day off is worth A LOT in terms of quality of life. Sounds like you really hit the jackpot!

I will also add that I've stopped setting my alarm clock.
That is really priceless to me.
I sleep much better knowing the stupid thing won't be screaming at me in the morning.
I just naturally wake up around 6am. And since I work alone, I never have to be anywhere at a certain time.
I like to be out of the house before 7:15, but if I leave at 8, who cares?
Smack me if I ever complain about this job..............!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a Personal Assistant and I really love my job! I really enjoy helping people and get a lot of satisfaction organising and working with teams. :love: I've had a varied career in a wide variety of admin-related roles such as business development, project admin, legal secretary etc but being a PA/EA is my favourite. PA's are so much more than timekeepers & typists these days - I look after 5 managers and have a really varied role, no two days are the same. Sometimes I can feel like "piggy in the middle" of management and everyone else but I try hard to be the trusted conduit to ensure everything gets done and everyone is happy.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In a nutshell...

Out of college I was hired as an experimental cell researcher in an oncology hospital and loved my work.
One of my duties along with creating cell lines was to do the chromosome photography for genetic studies. When the grant ran out several years later, I was hired to run a small pharmaceutical research lab.
When my DD was born I stayed home until she went to kindergarten. By that time we had moved to a small town, and I became the photographer/darkroom tech for a small newspaper.
When DD was eight I went back to school, got an MFA and along with painting and showing my art, created an art collective. I organized events, educational presentations and group shows.
When the collective reached 45 members, I turned it over to a committee and retired. Now living in my little bubble, painting and thinking of showing again.

voce

Ideal_Rock
With every line of work I've done, there were components I loved and components I didn't love.

At my day job, my favorite thing to do is build spreadsheets to solve practical business problems. I dislike the accounting stuff (mindlessly boring), but I get to work while listening to audiobooks, which is how I can get through a book a day if I want to!

I do have a side gig where I write patents for other people and proofread their submissions. It's fun learning about new technology, but I hate it when it's tedious stuff where you have to be meticulously detailed, like when you try to invalidate another patent. I am convinced now that I would hate to be a patent examiner, because they deal with the tedious stuff all the time.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
I have 2 jobs by choice. lol life is nuts for us.

1st job: Family business. We do structured cabling and phone systems for commercial spaces. Think of the blue/white plugs in the wall for your computer and phones at work- we run the cables and put in the plugs (over simplified). Provide phones and program them for offices (also over simplified).
I do estimating and quote and customer service. Pretty much touch all bases of our small company.
I love my job as it helps to keep the company my parents built for the last 30+ yrs and gave me everything I had before I got married. And I get a stable/decent salary.

2nd job: Interior Design. I went to school and got certified for it Here in Canada we need to be certified for it to be an Interior Designer. Different from Interior Decorators. We need to know building codes and to work with Architects/Engineers for our projects. I don't really do traditional residential design. I worked for about 8 to 10 yrs in corporate design, before I quit and went to do Job1.

But I was unsure if I would stay at Job 1, or if my father wanted to sell the business. So I kept it as a side job to build on referrals and not lose touch with the design world, but it takes up at least 20 to 35 hrs of my week.

My clients now are mainly related to my DH business. He is an real estate (investor focused), and helps clients find properties to turn to multi-tenant properties or to flip. I help do the design and construction management of the projects. I prefer these clients for design clients, as they are similar to Corporate clients, where budget and return and employee/tenant satisfaction is key. So it's normally not fun creative projects (truly I dont have time to do those anymore and I'm a little designed out. I dont get as excited for cool furniture or finishes anymore). Investors want a long lasting or "pinterest trendy" looking space to attract tenants. And I help find a happy medium while taking account of the house's character, so it's easy for me to do.

I used to moon lite a 3rd job, as a wedding decorator, but dropped it after 7 to 8 yrs haha.. as we wanted to have a baby and my 1st job started getting more busy as my role in the company changed to have more responsibilities. Weddings are mainly on weekends and take up lots of man power and planning to do. DH at the time wanted to quit his corporate job and to try his passion. DH said I had to drop 1 job. Not sustainable to do 3!

We now have a 20month toddler. So I'm glad I dropped that 3rd job 3 yrs ago!

I love my 2 jobs. Different satisfaction levels for both. But it's really tiring. And we moved in with my parents to have an extra pair of hands to take care of the baby. Otherwise I wouldnt be able to do jobs. Nor my husband be able to run his business. His hours are all over the map, due to clients availabilities.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
So many fascinating careers on here. PSers are such an interesting group.

I got a law degree, worked briefly in finance (VC) and hated it, then got a job in publishing, followed by a masters in journalism, worked as a journalist, had kids, freelanced some while mostly being a full-time mom. During that time I became sort of an accidental novelist. Then we moved to another country and I took a few years to be a full, full-time mom. Wrote another novel during this time. Now do the occasional freelance journalism piece and work (also freelance) as a book doctor.

I've loved everything I've done post-finance except the novels--I thought as a recovered journalist I'd like the deadlines, but actually hated being obligated to be creative on demand. Helping structure someone else's work and fixing their mistakes is so much easier than making and fixing my own :)

I'm very grateful for the opportunities I've had. Due to my H having a job that has provided a steady income and good health insurance I've been able to have the flexibility to choose the projects I want to take on and to not take anything on at the moments I've wanted or needed to be fully there for the kids.

TLDR - summation: still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up

josieKat

Shiny_Rock
I'm a scientist and college professor. My sub field is psycholinguistics. Between a job as a research assistant in a neurolinguistics lab after college, 7 years of my PhD, and 4 years of postdoctoral training, I didn't start a tenure-track position until my mid 30s. I've now been a professor for 16 years. I love the students and being in class and problem solving in my lab, plus the flexibility of my schedule and being able to take care of life stuff and my kids around my and their school day, but who knows if the whole higher ed system will last to see me through my retirement. Remote teaching is not my favorite but I will be doing that again this fall, and it will be better than it was in the spring for sure!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a scientist and college professor. My sub field is psycholinguistics. Between a job as a research assistant in a neurolinguistics lab after college, 7 years of my PhD, and 4 years of postdoctoral training, I didn't start a tenure-track position until my mid 30s. I've now been a professor for 16 years. I love the students and being in class and problem solving in my lab, plus the flexibility of my schedule and being able to take care of life stuff and my kids around my and their school day, but who knows if the whole higher ed system will last to see me through my retirement. Remote teaching is not my favorite but I will be doing that again this fall, and it will be better than it was in the spring for sure!

Me too! Spring was insane - I was in the middle of teaching public speaking when we went remote. I really hope fall is better. I cannot imagine teaching a lab that way

idealw2boys

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for posting this thread. I have often wondered about this myself, but more so about who are these people who have 3, 4, 5 + carat rings or multiple pieces in their jewelry collection and who are such diamond experts.

I myself am an accountant working for Fortune 100 / 200 companies; originally started out in mutual funds, then natural gas and power, once Enron imploded. I then went back to natural gas working for one of the major oil and gas companies in the world.

Once I got married, since we relocated to a much smaller city with a different economy, I went to work for a privately held power producer.

Another relocation later, and hopefully our last to a larger city, has now landed me in to working on budgeting and planning for Financial systems Projects.

I mostly enjoy what I do, but have tried many times to pursue other areas still within the same company, but haven’t been able to yet, so especially in this current environment, I‘ll accept steady and non demanding instead of the alternative.

I work for a large multi billion dollar company, but the culture doesn’t make it seem like it’s a vast hole. For the most part, everyone is personable and down to earth and modest.

I don’t see many people wearing any diamonds that are 2 CT’s at all.

On a daily basis, I usually switch up my jewelry, if it’s a regular day at the office, I used to wear my 3 stone ring which is a total of 2 CT’s, and other jewelry items. Most people I work with either don’t have a diamond, wear dept store / mall store quality diamond, so I get a lot of stares and looks, but my stones are very modest compared to many PSers.

I wish I could find a way to transition my skills into a career that is higher paying in to the functional side of financial systems, but for now, this is where I am.

I would love to be in a higher paying career to better support my diamond and jewelry interests.

I often wondered what PSers did for a living to support their 3 + ct rings ( or spouses) if they were celebrities, people who are in the celebrity circles, finance, law, real estate etc.

My husband is in medicine and most people would think we would live higher than we do, but most of his colleagues also wear little or no jewelry, they just take very nice trips or indulge in other areas.

Love this thread. Interesting backgrounds!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I often wondered what PSers did for a living to support their 3 + ct rings ( or spouses) if they were celebrities, people who are in the celebrity circles, finance, law, real estate etc.
Sugar daddy! :wink2:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will also add that I've stopped setting my alarm clock.
That is really priceless to me.
I sleep much better knowing the stupid thing won't be screaming at me in the morning.
I just naturally wake up around 6am. And since I work alone, I never have to be anywhere at a certain time.
I like to be out of the house before 7:15, but if I leave at 8, who cares?
Smack me if I ever complain about this job..............!

If you naturally get up at 6 a.m., do you mind sharing when you go to bed? I'm a terrible sleeper, and I'm not sure I'd ever get it where I could naturally wake at 6 a.m.! It must be wonderful to not have an alarm going off!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you naturally get up at 6 a.m., do you mind sharing when you go to bed? I'm a terrible sleeper, and I'm not sure I'd ever get it where I could naturally wake at 6 a.m.! It must be wonderful to not have an alarm going off!

I shoot for 10-10:30pm. I struggle to keep my eyes open by then.
That gives me 8 hours. You would be surprised how exhausting it is driving all day........
Even on the weekend, I am dead tired by 10, so I keep the same hours.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a Personal Assistant and I really love my job! I really enjoy helping people and get a lot of satisfaction organising and working with teams. :love: I've had a varied career in a wide variety of admin-related roles such as business development, project admin, legal secretary etc but being a PA/EA is my favourite. PA's are so much more than timekeepers & typists these days - I look after 5 managers and have a really varied role, no two days are the same. Sometimes I can feel like "piggy in the middle" of management and everyone else but I try hard to be the trusted conduit to ensure everything gets done and everyone is happy.
Love jobs where every day is different! I've had jobs where every day was the same, and it bores me to tears. Your job sounds really interesting!

In a nutshell...
Out of college I was hired as an experimental cell researcher in an oncology hospital and loved my work.
One of my duties along with creating cell lines was to do the chromosome photography for genetic studies. When the grant ran out several years later, I was hired to run a small pharmaceutical research lab.
When my DD was born I stayed home until she went to kindergarten. By that time we had moved to a small town, and I became the photographer/darkroom tech for a small newspaper.
When DD was eight I went back to school, got an MFA and along with painting and showing my art, created an art collective. I organized events, educational presentations and group shows.
When the collective reached 45 members, I turned it over to a committee and retired. Now living in my little bubble, painting and thinking of showing again.
Sounds like you've had A LOT of job satisfaction, and I can see why!

With every line of work I've done, there were components I loved and components I didn't love.

At my day job, my favorite thing to do is build spreadsheets to solve practical business problems. I dislike the accounting stuff (mindlessly boring), but I get to work while listening to audiobooks, which is how I can get through a book a day if I want to!
This would be enough to make me stay at a job for a LONG time :read:

I have 2 jobs by choice. lol life is nuts for us.

1st job: Family business. We do structured cabling and phone systems for commercial spaces. Think of the blue/white plugs in the wall for your computer and phones at work- we run the cables and put in the plugs (over simplified). Provide phones and program them for offices (also over simplified).
I do estimating and quote and customer service. Pretty much touch all bases of our small company.
I love my job as it helps to keep the company my parents built for the last 30+ yrs and gave me everything I had before I got married. And I get a stable/decent salary.

2nd job: Interior Design. I went to school and got certified for it Here in Canada we need to be certified for it to be an Interior Designer. Different from Interior Decorators. We need to know building codes and to work with Architects/Engineers for our projects. I don't really do traditional residential design. I worked for about 8 to 10 yrs in corporate design, before I quit and went to do Job1.

But I was unsure if I would stay at Job 1, or if my father wanted to sell the business. So I kept it as a side job to build on referrals and not lose touch with the design world, but it takes up at least 20 to 35 hrs of my week.

My clients now are mainly related to my DH business. He is an real estate (investor focused), and helps clients find properties to turn to multi-tenant properties or to flip. I help do the design and construction management of the projects. I prefer these clients for design clients, as they are similar to Corporate clients, where budget and return and employee/tenant satisfaction is key. So it's normally not fun creative projects (truly I dont have time to do those anymore and I'm a little designed out. I dont get as excited for cool furniture or finishes anymore). Investors want a long lasting or "pinterest trendy" looking space to attract tenants. And I help find a happy medium while taking account of the house's character, so it's easy for me to do.

I used to moon lite a 3rd job, as a wedding decorator, but dropped it after 7 to 8 yrs haha.. as we wanted to have a baby and my 1st job started getting more busy as my role in the company changed to have more responsibilities. Weddings are mainly on weekends and take up lots of man power and planning to do. DH at the time wanted to quit his corporate job and to try his passion. DH said I had to drop 1 job. Not sustainable to do 3!

We now have a 20month toddler. So I'm glad I dropped that 3rd job 3 yrs ago!

I love my 2 jobs. Different satisfaction levels for both. But it's really tiring. And we moved in with my parents to have an extra pair of hands to take care of the baby. Otherwise I wouldnt be able to do jobs. Nor my husband be able to run his business. His hours are all over the map, due to clients availabilities.
How wonderful that you can live with your parents and they can help with the wee one!

I am a stay at home mom. It's pretty much what I've always wanted to do so yes I love it. It can be hard some days but I wouldn't trade it for anything!
That would have been my dream job too - happy for you that you were able to do it!

So many fascinating careers on here. PSers are such an interesting group.

I got a law degree, worked briefly in finance (VC) and hated it, then got a job in publishing, followed by a masters in journalism, worked as a journalist, had kids, freelanced some while mostly being a full-time mom. During that time I became sort of an accidental novelist. Then we moved to another country and I took a few years to be a full, full-time mom. Wrote another novel during this time. Now do the occasional freelance journalism piece and work (also freelance) as a book doctor.

I've loved everything I've done post-finance except the novels--I thought as a recovered journalist I'd like the deadlines, but actually hated being obligated to be creative on demand. Helping structure someone else's work and fixing their mistakes is so much easier than making and fixing my own :)

I'm very grateful for the opportunities I've had. Due to my H having a job that has provided a steady income and good health insurance I've been able to have the flexibility to choose the projects I want to take on and to not take anything on at the moments I've wanted or needed to be fully there for the kids.

TLDR - summation: still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up
AMEN.

Thanks for posting this thread. I have often wondered about this myself, but more so about who are these people who have 3, 4, 5 + carat rings or multiple pieces in their jewelry collection and who are such diamond experts.

I work for a large multi billion dollar company, but the culture doesn’t make it seem like it’s a vast hole. For the most part, everyone is personable and down to earth and modest.

I don’t see many people wearing any diamonds that are 2 CT’s at all.

On a daily basis, I usually switch up my jewelry, if it’s a regular day at the office, I used to wear my 3 stone ring which is a total of 2 CT’s, and other jewelry items. Most people I work with either don’t have a diamond, wear dept store / mall store quality diamond, so I get a lot of stares and looks, but my stones are very modest compared to many PSers.

I wish I could find a way to transition my skills into a career that is higher paying in to the functional side of financial systems, but for now, this is where I am.

I would love to be in a higher paying career to better support my diamond and jewelry interests.

My husband is in medicine and most people would think we would live higher than we do, but most of his colleagues also wear little or no jewelry, they just take very nice trips or indulge in other areas.

Love this thread. Interesting backgrounds!
Part of why I posted it was for these questions - how do people afford these 3+ (or even 2) carat rings etc. I'd love to have more money to support my jewelry love as well! But, I want to have jobs I love more than I want big bling. I'm 43 now, and if you'd have told me I would be saying this when I was 23, I would have told you you'd lost your mind - I was a very motivated, money driven young person. For me, the second half of my life is all about peacefulness, if and when I can find it.

Trial Lawyer! Just retired due to RA and other AI and arthritis issues. Loved being a lawyer!
My dad always said I would have been a good one, because I like to argue. :lol: Was being a trial lawyer very stressful and nerve wracking?

Last edited:

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a Program Administrator on a military installation. I facilitate/coordinate briefs and use of venues and equipment by the units as well as Information and Referral services.

For the most part I like my job, in that I get to interact and assist our military with whatever they need. At other times, the pain in my a$$ is other personnel I work with.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I shoot for 10-10:30pm. I struggle to keep my eyes open by then.
That gives me 8 hours. You would be surprised how exhausting it is driving all day........
Even on the weekend, I am dead tired by 10, so I keep the same hours.

I commute a lot for work, so I get that. I am a college professor, and I travel about an hour each way; when we went remote, my hubby said "At least you don't have to commute anymore!" But I like the drive, honestly. I like the varied scenery and being in a classroom. I hate getting up and moving from my bed to the computer next door - it just feels......wrong.

I am a Program Administrator on a military installation. I facilitate/coordinate briefs and use of venues and equipment by the units as well as Information and Referral services.

For the most part I like my job, in that I get to interact and assist our military with whatever they need. At other times, the pain in my a$$ is other personnel I work with.
Isn't that always the way?!? I find I've gravitated toward jobs where I have decent amounts of autonomy, because I really hate when others make your job harder, which is most of the time. Your job itself sounds great and very fulfilling!

Polished1911

Shiny_Rock
I’m a delivery driver. Pay is way too low for what I do, but I absolutely love it! Everyday is a new adventure, I never know where I’m going to be or what I’ll get to see or who I’ll meet. There’s something very therapeutic about being able to cram in way too many packages inside my van and making sure I bring nothing back. An empty van at the end of the day is seriously zen to me.

With Covid new opportunities have been opening up to me. Training involves a new driver riding along for at least a week with an experienced driver. Amazon (for good reason) does not allow that now. So we’re just handing over keys and saying good luck. It’s not going so well. Lost, struggling, frustrated, burn out, stressed. Then the frustration of veteran drivers of having to go finish new driver’s routes after they’ve done their own. I put together a training program myself, and advocated to allow me to train new drivers. I do it verbally, out in a field at a dairy farm lol. I break everything down in a way that they can understand it (my background is actually psych). I run a mini driving course. I’m having way too much fun teaching :) Higher up Amazon has caught wind of what I’m doing and are seeing the results. They may be creating a training position officially for me. Hello raise!

Many moons ago I was a psych LVN. worked in a maximum security mental hospital. I went through a series of personally traumatic events. I’m ok, but I’m not ok. As of now, it’s too much to work in mental health around violence. I miss the pay. I’ve just translated my psych background into helping drivers. Whether it’s teaching, helping them stay motivated, listening to when they have personal problems and giving different perspective. And I’m also quite helpful when someone has an injury, management sends me to them to assess.

Downside, I rarely get to wear bling :(

Attachments

• 8255A463-7F79-4CC6-AC29-FAA48E7B680D.jpeg
    8255A463-7F79-4CC6-AC29-FAA48E7B680D.jpeg
    266 KB · Views: 23
  • 844DAA83-9E0D-4A0C-A6F8-E8A22DE81588.jpeg
    844DAA83-9E0D-4A0C-A6F8-E8A22DE81588.jpeg
    325.9 KB · Views: 12

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a freelance writer. I've also taken on project management and account exec positions for web development companies over the last several years. Writing is my forte, though, so I tend to stick with that. I very much enjoy helping businesses market their products and services digitally. I work from home and have come to a point where I can be very selective about clients. I choose when and how much I want to work, and even where I work--in June I was sitting in a hot tub composing a blog post for an art supply company.

Sugar daddy! :wink2:

Sugaring is a big thing in my area. (I've been researching and in the process of writing a book about it the past few years.) First, due to the large university here. Second, because my part of the Midwest isn't a major hub where people congregate and socialize, so the men with a lot of money aren't really out on the town clubbing/VIP'ing at night if they're trying to pick up something on the side. They're finding young women on sugar dating apps instead. The sugar babies aren't reaping huge benefits like 3 carat rings, though. The current wives are receiving Kobe gifts. ;-) Everybody wins, if that's how you choose to look at it. Out in your area of the country I'm sure it's much different. ;-)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are lots of good stories in my brain & things that can happen in a hysterical way, will only happen to me. In my younger years & prior to marriage, friends referred to me as Bridget Jones :lol: And the amount of times I've been asked why I haven't written a book yet? Perhaps one day I will......

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love jobs where every day is different! I've had jobs where every day was the same, and it bores me to tears. Your job sounds really interesting!

Sounds like you've had A LOT of job satisfaction, and I can see why!

This would be enough to make me stay at a job for a LONG time :read:

How wonderful that you can live with your parents and they can help with the wee one!

That would have been my dream job too - happy for you that you were able to do it!

AMEN.

Part of why I posted it was for these questions - how do people afford these 3+ (or even 2) carat rings etc. I'd love to have more money to support my jewelry love as well! But, I want to have jobs I love more than I want big bling. I'm 43 now, and if you'd have told me I would be saying this when I was 23, I would have told you you'd lost your mind - I was a very motivated, money driven young person. For me, the second half of my life is all about peacefulness, if and when I can find it.

My dad always said I would have been a good one, because I like to argue. :lol: Was being a trial lawyer very stressful and nerve wracking?

Stressful, yes! But once you get into trial it’s really good. Everything melts away except that one case you’re working on. I represented licensed professionals who got sued or grieved. Mostly lawyers. It was always challenging! But I always was learning about new areas of law. It kept me on my toes.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was previously an engineering manager for an MBE manufacturing company. SAHM since 2006 - 2 kids in middle school and 1in high school. Some days I enjoy it, some days not. I am afraid that everyone staying home (kids online school, DH wfh) may drive me absolutely crazy! My house is always a wreck. I am very accustomed to being alone through the day and am quite persnickety about a neat house.

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I worked as a vet assistant in my early 20’s until I developed asthma. I loved that job but it didn’t love me. Took maximum doses of two inhalers but alas, it wasn’t enough...
I then got a job as an administrative assistant. BORING...did this for a few years until I got pregnant with my first. I never went back and I was SAHM of two boys for 13 years. I loved it!
When they both entered high school, I started to wonder what I should do with my life. A care giving job for a senior lady with Parkinson’s disease fell into my lap. I took a chance, no prior experience with the elderly. This was the beginning of my new career. After several care giving jobs I now work in a seniors residence as an activities coordinator. It’s fantastic, I love it!
I went to university for a degree in early childhood education specializing in art education but have ended up doing crafts with seniors!

Smith3

Shiny_Rock
I worked at an antique store and Made candles there. They were a big seller and so fun to make. We use to do events Because It had a beautiful green house and you could rent the antiques In the shop for your event. I miss working and my coworkers. I loved it, I love creating but since Covid my boss can’t keep it going and sadly no more job for me... it’s been 6 months since i worked there. Hopefully I’ll find a career path we’re I can make more money.

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
I had an art history major in college and did my masters in computer science. And I have worked in museums and marketing, which I did not enjoy. Currently I am a software engineer / new media specialist where I do some consulting on the side :) Due to COVID I was laid off but I was lucky to find a new role pretty soon, I love working with tech!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Well as much as I enjoy my land surveying job, it does take a physical toll on me. Quite literally sometimes...

IMG_20200810_183216.jpg

Broken finger, hematoma, tendon hanging out the gash in my finger tip and will need plastic surgery.
How did I do it? Got caught in my tripod as I was packing it up.

Endone is wonderful, but my poor Opal cabbing machine is going to collect some dust over the next couple months ;(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results