shape
carat
color
clarity

What color stone for bezel set 22k ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

darling

Shiny_Rock
I am going to have a ring made in 22 karat gold. I would like a vibrantly colored stone, maybe an oval dark pink tourmaline, but I am open to other suggestions. Also, what vendors would you recommend for gem purchases?
Thank you for any thoughts you may have.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For a bezel set ring, go for a lighter toned tone because once bezel set, the gemstone will appear darker. If you start with a dark stone, it will end up even darker as there isn''t any light coming through from the sides.

As for yellow gold, I think purplish red would be nice, or a bright orange.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I''m having stone bezel set in high karat gold right now too! Funny :)
I went with a hessonite, not an amazing cut but nice color. Looks like a topaz.
I was inspired by this look. http://www.georgianjewelry.com/items/show/6413
But mines just a ring.
Anyway I really like bright colors in high carat gold. All the reds, pinks and bright greens like peridot

Can''t wait to see what you decide on.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my spessartite is set in 22k gold. it is an open and airy design, not a complete bezel, but sturdy as a bridge. in fact, there is an 18k bridge under it to provide structural stability.

my spessartite came from rwwise.com

i love having high karat gold and a world class color stone as my e-ring.

do you have a picture or drawing of the setting you''re considering?

movie zombie

ps because complete bezeling will darken the stone because light can''t travel through it, i''d not go a dark color unless i was purchasing a stone more sparkley than a tourmaline.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, I would definitely stick with *warm* colors.... so if you want pink I would stick with a rosy warm pink moreso than a cool pink. I wouldn''t go for a light color... something vibrant like you said but maybe in the red/pink/orange range... kinda like KC''s garnet - I still love the color of that!!! I would be just a hair darker than a medium color... but I''d stay away from blues and even greens just because well, you asked my opinion LOL!! I do like pretty much all gemstones in yellow gold but if you''re going for a rich 22k then I''m going for something warm :)

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
which was KC''s garnet?

darling

Shiny_Rock
The person whose two oval rings I like is going to have one made for me. Her rings are very dark sapphire and emerald, but unless you look closely they appear black. I wouldn''t want that for mine, yet I like the overall simplicity of the ring. Since I already have rings with bright sapphire trillion, darkish green tourmaline EC and a cabochon ruby (all in 18k) I wanted to try another color. Chrono, I thought a medium dark raspberry pink would look really good with high karat gold, purplish red also sounds good. The design is very simple, thin bezel and thin shank with rope design.
Cehra, opinions and suggestions are always welcome.
Innerkitten, when will your ring be ready? I llike the bracelet you used for inspiration, can''t wait to see the ring.
Movie Zombie, I don''t know if I have ever seen your handshots, is there a thread on your ring? As much as I like and use "sunset" colors in everyday life, I think a ring with a cool color will be more complimentary to my skin tone.

Do any of you have suggestions for sourcing these stones?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
my spessartite came from rwwise.com

MovieZombie, I LOVE RWWise''s stuff! I grew up one town over from his store and over X-mas my BF and I went in to see what he might have for us in terms of a slightly non-traditional ering.

I LOVE your stone!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
S-5608B.jpg

I just HAD to post this pink sapphire from acstones. Likely not what you want, but worth the oogle.

cheers--Sharon

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Ah, okay I remember that one. It turned out realy well.
Darling, I just sent my stone in 2 days ago. I''m having a really basic simple design so I can''t imagine it will take that long. Nothing like the bracelet in the link though...I wish. Maybe someday ;-)
I just inspired by the colors in that piece.
Have you posted pics of your other rings? They sound nice.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well since you''re asking for opinions...and you plan on a bezel. I''d say a Peridot or an Orange stone.

I also like the idea of a purple stone with red flashes. What size stone and shape are you looking for?

darling

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I remember KC''s ring too, but I never saw the stone by itself. It''s gorgeous. I think I had saved that ring in my favorites folder.
Innerkitten, when will your ring be finished?
I am not sure about the stone yet, after looking at several websites I am overwhelmed by the differences in prices and choices. Unfortunately I don''t know how to judge the quality of gems, in fact I often like the quirky cloudiness or patterning. Size- I am thinking 2+ct.
I am embarassed to admit it but I am maddeningly and obsessively attracted to the emerald cut, regardless of color...

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like those kind of purplish-pinkish "Burmese rubies" that most people would call pink sapphire.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think even a peridot or blue topaz would be beautiful set in 22k! I love the look of light green or bright blue with higher carat gold...but I also think pink would be beautiful! Can''t wait to see how your ring turns out once it''s finished!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Darling, I''m actually having it made by this guy who sells on Ebay http://stores.ebay.com/22K-18K-Gold-Jewelry
I''m not sure how long it will take though. His stuff is nice and his prices are very good. I asked him if he could make a ring with my stone and he said yes. He seems to be a man of few words.

Anyway,I have another ring project going on right now that I think will be done first.
As far as finding a stone somewhere on Pricescope there is a post with links to lots and lots of colored stone vendors. Maybe I can find it for you.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
This is what I was looking for
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/sites-selling-colored-gemstones.15998/

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
even turquoise or chalcedney look fab with 22k gold!

movie zombie

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
My ring is done. I don''t have it yet but he sent a couple of photos. I love the way it looks and can''t wait to have it. I''d post a photo but the computer I usually use to resize photos with is messed up. I''ll post a photo sometime soon.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm, I don''t know if this is going to work. Irina you are so nice for offering :) I decided to give it one more shot.

image01.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Oh good it worked!! Thats the only one for now but I promise another angle next time when I get the ring.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
One more thing I''m sure I mentioned already but the guy does no casting, alloys the gold himself and everything. Even those little tiny balls are made and put on by hand.

darling

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 5:16:56 PM
Author: innerkitten
One more thing I''m sure I mentioned already but the guy does no casting, alloys the gold himself and everything. Even those little tiny balls are made and put on by hand.
Oh, I love it!!! What size is the stone?
I am even more excited about mine now.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I can''t remember exactly but have it written somewhere. I think it was about 5x7 east west setting.
Have you picked out a stone yet?

darling

Shiny_Rock
No, not yet. Too many choices, and I can''t make up my mind.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2007 2:44:07 PM
Author:darling
I am going to have a ring made in 22 karat gold. I would like a vibrantly colored stone, maybe an oval dark pink tourmaline, but I am open to other suggestions.
Pink could be beautiful! If it were me, I would choose a garnet or peridot, but only because I particularly like those stones (not necessarily that they''d look better than any other stone/color). Go with what you love!

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
innerkitten that ring looks gorgeous!!!!!!!!

darling - I think ANY color stone looks great in 22k bezel, I think a pretty pink would be nice... or maybe a bright green... or... a nice red.. oh I don''t know!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results