shape
carat
color
clarity

What color prongs should I go with??

makb1029

Rough_Rock
So I have an E color oval, 1.56 carats (9.37 x 6.69 x 4.11) VS1

My gf likes yellow gold that is bordering white, like a very pale color gold. I researched a jeweler near me who can make this color of yellow gold. I would describe it as a champagne color. Would you assume the jeweler is just going to mix more alloy into it to make it whiter?

For the prongs, should I go with white/platinum? Or use the light yellow color for those as well?
I am leaning white/platinum, but wondering what you guys think. My gf is leaving these things up to me. The setting would be a simple 2mm pave band, no halo. Thanks!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
You should google what unplated white gold looks like and it could be the colour you're seeking. It has a lovely antique feel and looks beautiful against white stones. If unplated white gold isn't yellow enough then your jeweller can help you blend the right colour I'm sure.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would probably go with white gold/plat prongs. Sure wish your GF would speak up!:)

Edit...you might take a look at this thread. Pricscoper @yssie took a deep dive into different gold
mixtures and colors. She's got some great pics.

You also might consider going with a satin finish. It sort of knocks the shiny out of the yellow gold and has a rich
refined look IMO.

Here is a somewhat organic example of a satin finish.
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Always go with platinum prongs unless the stone is yellow. Basically 18k gold is intense gold, 14k is a medium/light tone, and 10k is very light. That said, fine jewelry is not made with less than 14k, so I woudn't consider less than 14k, personally. It's pretty light. The other thing to consider is if she wants any other gold fine jewelry such as earrings or bracelets, it will be in 18k or 14k. For that reason, I'd go with a 14 or 18k for the rings since they won't match anything else if she goes with some kind of barely gold color.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go with a white metal for the prongs.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unplated white gold maybe?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I would definitely have the prongs in white gold.

JaneDough

Rough_Rock
Ask your girlfriend if she wants different colored prongs? She may have a specific vision. Lighter colored prongs will complement your E colored diamond. I personally wanted the contrast and wanted to have one metal used only for my ring so I went with 18K yellow gold prongs included. It probably makes my diamond more warmer but because I’m not wearing two diamonds at once I don’t notice it. I love the uniform look and the richness of the gold. Originally I wanted a lighter colored yellow gold like 14k but after comparing on my skin tone I definitely liked the richer gold color.

Otherwise for my next ring I’ll go white gold or maybe platinum. The cool white look is beautiful too :kiss2:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted light yellow gold for my ER and 14k does that for me. (Full disclosure, my husband surprised me with the ring, but he guessed right). Solid bracelets, necklaces, ring are great in 18k, but I wanted that softer look for my solitaire. I’d say platinum prongs personally.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
White metal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results