clarity

What are your highlights of 2013?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement and graduation Pandabee!!! :appl:

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Maisie|1388426706|3583092 said:
Wow! Apart from the sad loss of your grandmother you have had an amazing year! How will you beat that in 2014? Do you have anything planned?

I don't know, exactly, but it'll be fun trying to top it! We have a great first anniversary trip planned in Feb, a few other little getaways throughout the year, and hopefully another large trip in summer or early fall. We'll see how it goes!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
2013 was a fantastic year!
I landed a fantastic new job as a jewellery buyer for a large retail company where my hard work is acknowledged, appreciated and rewarded. A very far cry from my previous job of almost 3 years which was succeeding in doing my mental health some serious damage!

DH and I finally saved enough for a deposit and worked our asses off in a very frantic property market (in the 9th most unafordable city in the world!) and finally purchased our first house! Yay! We've been having a blast slowly doing little bits and pieces as we can afford it to bring it up to date and make it our own.

_13280.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1388511498|3583853 said:
Maisie|1388426706|3583092 said:
Wow! Apart from the sad loss of your grandmother you have had an amazing year! How will you beat that in 2014? Do you have anything planned?

I don't know, exactly, but it'll be fun trying to top it! We have a great first anniversary trip planned in Feb, a few other little getaways throughout the year, and hopefully another large trip in summer or early fall. We'll see how it goes!

That sounds lovely! I'd love to get away on even just one holiday!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
4ever|1388535949|3584119 said:
2013 was a fantastic year!
I landed a fantastic new job as a jewellery buyer for a large retail company where my hard work is acknowledged, appreciated and rewarded. A very far cry from my previous job of almost 3 years which was succeeding in doing my mental health some serious damage!

DH and I finally saved enough for a deposit and worked our asses off in a very frantic property market (in the 9th most unafordable city in the world!) and finally purchased our first house! Yay! We've been having a blast slowly doing little bits and pieces as we can afford it to bring it up to date and make it our own.

Congratulations on landing a ps'ers dream job! And on putting down some roots too! I wish you love and happiness in your new home :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd say that one of the big highlights of my year was meeting so many PS friends in Las Vegas and mom2boys more locally!!! We had a great time in both places looking at beautiful jewels and getting to know each other better in person!

Jewelry-wise, my biggest new item was the 2.3 ct AVR! It is still in a temporary setting, so I am hoping I will decide on a more appropriate setting in 2014! Ended the year with a Cartier Tank watch, which is a classic that I have wanted for awhile!

On the home front, our last child is a senior in high school and we are busy looking at colleges! Older daughter is married and their baby girl turned TWO in November, which I can't believe! We helped them move to a new house this fall. Then baby #2 will arrive in April! (a girl with diamond birthstone, yay!!!) :lol: So busy year with our kids, and lots of exciting things to come in 2014!

(Happy to see you back, Maisie! :)) )

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
It's been a pretty big year! I kind of count my wedding, because it was the very end of 2012. We were finally able to take our honeymoon last week, and our 1st anniversary fell in the middle of it. I completed my BS, and shortly after was offered a new position within my agency. I've been working part time in my new position half time for a little less than a month. Also made a decision about which Master's program I'd like to do. I'm looking forward to an even better 2014!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a rebate from a mis-sold PPI (payment protection insurance) and cleared off a large chunk of my debt. :bigsmile:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1388553128|3584226 said:
I'd say that one of the big highlights of my year was meeting so many PS friends in Las Vegas and mom2boys more locally!!! We had a great time in both places looking at beautiful jewels and getting to know each other better in person!

Jewelry-wise, my biggest new item was the 2.3 ct AVR! It is still in a temporary setting, so I am hoping I will decide on a more appropriate setting in 2014! Ended the year with a Cartier Tank watch, which is a classic that I have wanted for awhile!

On the home front, our last child is a senior in high school and we are busy looking at colleges! Older daughter is married and their baby girl turned TWO in November, which I can't believe! We helped them move to a new house this fall. Then baby #2 will arrive in April! (a girl with diamond birthstone, yay!!!) :lol: So busy year with our kids, and lots of exciting things to come in 2014!

(Happy to see you back, Maisie! :)) )

Thank you! It's nice to see you. I've missed PS but I think it was clear I needed an extended break ::)

I love your AVR! It's beautiful and I'm excited to see what your new setting will look like. I'm hoping to buy a new diamond this year :appl:

How lovely that you have a second grandchild on the way. I can't wait till my daughter gives birth. I live far away from them and I will be wanting to go up there all the time!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
manderz|1388556438|3584240 said:
It's been a pretty big year! I kind of count my wedding, because it was the very end of 2012. We were finally able to take our honeymoon last week, and our 1st anniversary fell in the middle of it. I completed my BS, and shortly after was offered a new position within my agency. I've been working part time in my new position half time for a little less than a month. Also made a decision about which Master's program I'd like to do. I'm looking forward to an even better 2014!

You have had a very busy year and a very successful one! I hope 2014 is fabulous for you!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
dk168|1388580084|3584283 said:
I had a rebate from a mis-sold PPI (payment protection insurance) and cleared off a large chunk of my debt. :bigsmile:

That's awesome! If that had been me I would have bought bling which would have totally been the wrong thing to do! :lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie|1388585834|3584299 said:

That's awesome! If that had been me I would have bought bling which would have totally been the wrong thing to do! :lol:

Until I get rid of my debts and wipe the slate clean, I can't afford to buy any serious blings. :naughty:

Besides, maintenance on the house and a new car are higher on the list of priorities.

DK :))

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
dk168|1388591834|3584318 said:
Maisie|1388585834|3584299 said:

Until I get rid of my debts and wipe the slate clean, I can't afford to buy any serious blings. :naughty:

Besides, maintenance on the house and a new car are higher on the list of priorities.

DK :))

I totally agree. You are doing the right thing. I wish I was so sensible lol :bigsmile:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maisie|1388422694|3583051 said:
Hi Marcy :wavey: Your artwork is awesome! We recently had some pet portraits done and it felt very posh to be commissioning an artist to work for us. I hope your first Christmas in your new house was lovely and you have many more happy holidays there!

Thanks. How wonderful to get some pet portraits. They sound awesome. We did have a very nice Christmas this year. Thanks. I hope you had a great holiday as well. :wavey:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
February -- Found THE setting I'd been searching for so bought my new e-ring. Picked a diamond for it. Had it set and on my hand a few days later! :appl:
Picked out my b-day present (sapphire & diamond necklace -- for our wedding!!!)

July - December was rough because of DH's health issues. Lots of dr appointments and tests. (happy ending as (thanks to browsing here on PS!) I found that B12 supplements almost eliminates his problems!)

October -- We got married!
Legal paperwork one week and then the religious ceremony and small celebration the next!

Oh -- I got some tomatoes to grow over summer too! Plus more herbs than we could use!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
marcy|1388624983|3584526 said:
Maisie|1388422694|3583051 said:
Hi Marcy :wavey: Your artwork is awesome! We recently had some pet portraits done and it felt very posh to be commissioning an artist to work for us. I hope your first Christmas in your new house was lovely and you have many more happy holidays there!

Thanks. How wonderful to get some pet portraits. They sound awesome. We did have a very nice Christmas this year. Thanks. I hope you had a great holiday as well. :wavey:

Here are the portraits. The one of our Bengal wasn't quite finished here but you get an idea :)

The Bichon is my sisters dog and the kitten belongs to my daughter. I bought their portraits as gifts.

_13339.jpg

_13342.jpg

_13343.jpg

_13344.jpg

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1388625633|3584532 said:
February -- Found THE setting I'd been searching for so bought my new e-ring. Picked a diamond for it. Had it set and on my hand a few days later! :appl:
Picked out my b-day present (sapphire & diamond necklace -- for our wedding!!!)

July - December was rough because of DH's health issues. Lots of dr appointments and tests. (happy ending as (thanks to browsing here on PS!) I found that B12 supplements almost eliminates his problems!)

October -- We got married!
Legal paperwork one week and then the religious ceremony and small celebration the next!

Oh -- I got some tomatoes to grow over summer too! Plus more herbs than we could use!

Well done on growing anything! I could probably kill an artificial plant :lol:

I'm sorry your DH was so poorly but I'm glad you've found something to help him. PS is amazing to bring so many people and information together :appl:

Congratulations on your new bling, engagement and wedding!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
in all seriousness the highlight of my year [and hubby's as well] was paying off the mortgage.
my comment new year's eve that starting 2014 w/o debt felt really really good.

bringing Fredde cat into our home in August has also proven to be a very great thing in our household.

the summer garden was prolific and the winter garden is producing.

hoping for rain otherwise drought is in our future.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
movie zombie|1388684071|3584899 said:
in all seriousness the highlight of my year [and hubby's as well] was paying off the mortgage.
my comment new year's eve that starting 2014 w/o debt felt really really good.

bringing Fredde cat into our home in August has also proven to be a very great thing in our household.

the summer garden was prolific and the winter garden is producing.

hoping for rain otherwise drought is in our future.

Paying your mortgage is an awesome thing! It's the idea that your house now belongs just to you.

The best thing we ever did was get our cat. She was the most nervous, fearful little thing but to see her come out of her shell as the weeks, months and now years have gone by has been so heartwarming.

I hope you get some rain!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
It's great to see everyone's lovely homes and families! :appl:

Highlights of 2013:

I got offered my dream job in January 2013. I turned it down for family reasons, but it was a huge ego boost.

My mother's health improved beyond all hope.

My husband's health improved beyond all hope, although that has started to wane a little.

I bought some fantastic jewellery :Up_to_something:

The New Year has brought sad news, but I am looking for the silver linings. During my trip home, I found out that a guy I used to work with has advanced HIV. However, there are wonder drugs which will apparently give him another 20 years, and also, he lives in the town with the best HIV resources in the UK, including a ton of counselling and support services.

Yesterday I found out that one of the witnesses at our wedding, a friend of my husband's, passed away on Dec 6th at the age of 45. My husband found out on Christmas morning but heroically kept it to himself since my trips home are always stressful with my mother's situation.

The friend had been suffering from advanced Lyme's Disease, was severely bi-polar, and had had more than her fair share of suffering. For example, a couple of years ago, her twin sister murdered her mother. That sister was in a home for the mentally ill and she had not been given her usual medication.

The upshot of all that she had been through is that our friend took her own life on December 6th, the anniversary of her other, younger sister's death who died of cancer in childhood. She had apparently made at least one suicide attempt before, ten years ago, and had been planning this since the summer, sending gifts, writing her will, etc. (we wondered why on earth she had suddenly sent us an incredible Breville juicer out of the blue). She had been in a tremendous amount of pain from the discovered-too-late Lyme's which was incurable in her case, and so it was her decision to make and she is no longer suffering.

She was flamboyant, creative, wore bright lipsticks and funny hats, and we will remember her fondly and respect her decision. Although it was a shock, we recognize that her problems were a complex web of circumstances and illnesses both mental and physical - much more so than we ever realised - and we just keep telling ourselves that it had obviously been in her mind for quite a long time, and that she is no longer suffering. That's the silver lining.

Our wedding certificate was obviously very precious before, but now it's even more so because it bears her signature as our witness. After my husband found out, he went to a bar where they often had dinner, ordered her favourite drink and left it on the bar. I thought that was rather sweet and meaningful.

ETA: I got sick from food poisoning on the plane back to the US and I fainted at Immigration while they were doing my fingerprints! So embarrassing. The medical guy who came was called Matt and he was so sweet and kind and nice, I could have cried. I had to miss my own New Year's Eve party; spent it in bed with a bucket while my husband hosted. Funny in retrospect and am feeling so much better now.

2014 will be replete with friends and happy events. We're determined!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
One highlight was finishing a big renovation project to our rental property. The other highlight was finishing up our run as landlords and putting the condo on the market on Monday. :appl: Hopefully it will sell within a few months or we'll need to rent it out again. Hopefully that won't happen though because we are DONE with this place.

ETA: Smith, I'm sorry to hear you and your husband have dealt with loss recently.

Maisie, it's good to see you posting again! :wavey:

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1388695944|3585009 said:
One highlight was finishing a big renovation project to our rental property. The other highlight was finishing up our run as landlords and putting the condo on the market on Monday. :appl: Hopefully it will sell within a few months or we'll need to rent it out again. Hopefully that won't happen though because we are DONE with this place.

ETA: Smith, I'm sorry to hear you and your husband have dealt with loss recently.

Good luck with the house sale, Zoe! And thanks for the sentiment. We are determined to keep out chins up and remember that things could always be worse.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1388696369|3585017 said:
Zoe|1388695944|3585009 said:

Good luck with the house sale, Zoe! And thanks for the sentiment. We are determined to keep out chins up and remember that things could always be worse.

Hello Zoe! It's lovely to see you :wavey:

Smith I'm sorry that you have had so much sadness in 2013. You have a very positive outlook and keeping your chin up is a good way forward. I hope 2014 will be a wonderful year for you.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
I totally destroyed my back (which basically destroys your life) at work and it will be basically forever.
So very sad. :blackeye: :cry:

Do not get jobs where you have to lift patients or anything heavy, on a routine basis.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
sonomacounty|1388700085|3585053 said:
I totally destroyed my back (which basically destroys your life) at work and it will be basically forever.
So very sad. :blackeye: :cry:

Do not get jobs where you have to lift patients or anything heavy, on a routine basis.

Aww no! Isn't there a surgery that could help? I know a few people who have really damaged their backs and surgery has helped a lot.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much, Maise! My Drs. are saying they think the best thing at this point (5 months) is to wait and see how it settles down. The body supposedly reabsorbs the parts of the bad discs which reduces symptoms. It's three levels, also, which is a bit more complicated to deal with surgically. What an atrocious injury. The first few months were like being plugged into a shorting out electrical socket, getting zapped throughout my lower body (some big, crazy painful ones too). :shock: A truly psycho experience. If I realized this could happen and how horrific it is, I never would have worked in medicine (or anything that physical). I lost 20 pounds due to not being able to eat due to pain, not been able to even read (due to pain) about gemology (just some light hangout reading) or any of my hobbies, can't pick up anything heavier than 1/2 gallon of milk on occasion (to put milk in the tea cup) but that takes a concerted effort, can't go back to that line of work nor are sitting jobs very good as you compress your discs from the top and the bottom when sitting and sitting is painful, also. A life changer for sure. It has trashed many of my dreams and aspirations. :nono: Anyway, thanks for the soft shoulder and listening to my tale of woe. Back to my regularly scheduled pain pills and laying on the heating pad - yay.

Oh, and thanks for the input that surgery has helped people you know. It puts a bit of light in this very dark tunnel.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't imagine being in that amount of pain every day. I think it must be exhausting. I bet the painkillers either don't really touch the pain or make you feel so dosed up you can't think straight. Back injuries are so easy to do though. My uncle turned over awkwardly in bed and ended up doing some damage so he couldn't stand up for 6 months! My friend is a chef and she has had metal plates put in her spine to hold it all together. It all sounds wretched and I hope there is something that can be done to help you feel better.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
sonomacounty|1388708610|3585145 said:
Thanks so much, Maise! My Drs. are saying they think the best thing at this point (5 months) is to wait and see how it settles down. The body supposedly reabsorbs the parts of the bad discs which reduces symptoms. It's three levels, also, which is a bit more complicated to deal with surgically. What an atrocious injury. The first few months were like being plugged into a shorting out electrical socket, getting zapped throughout my lower body (some big, crazy painful ones too). :shock: A truly psycho experience. If I realized this could happen and how horrific it is, I never would have worked in medicine (or anything that physical). I lost 20 pounds due to not being able to eat due to pain, not been able to even read (due to pain) about gemology (just some light hangout reading) or any of my hobbies, can't pick up anything heavier than 1/2 gallon of milk on occasion (to put milk in the tea cup) but that takes a concerted effort, can't go back to that line of work nor are sitting jobs very good as you compress your discs from the top and the bottom when sitting and sitting is painful, also. A life changer for sure. It has trashed many of my dreams and aspirations. :nono: Anyway, thanks for the soft shoulder and listening to my tale of woe. Back to my regularly scheduled pain pills and laying on the heating pad - yay.

Oh, and thanks for the input that surgery has helped people you know. It puts a bit of light in this very dark tunnel.

Sonoma, what exactly is your injury? My mom has had some major back issues, including 2 different surgeries. I've (as I'm sure you have) done TONS of research on the topic, and could at least offer my mom's experience, if it might help.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Again, thank you so much, dear Maise. Big hugs & kisses for the kind words, soft shoulder and putting a bit of light in this very dark tunnel.

My lawyer told me most of his back injury cases are people who work in medicine, but it can happen to anyone - all together too easily. People can be damaging their discs but not be feeling pain or anything (till you are really destroyed) so do be careful all. (That was my case.) No twisting, keep your shoulders in the same plane as your pelvis, when lifting pull in your abdomen from your belly button and hold as it makes your trunk more of a solid, stable mass and takes some of the impact off the spine, keep the proper curves in your spine, don't round your back as you pick something off the floor (squatting is best) and no jobs where you lift for a living.

Don't let this happen to you . . .

Thanks again.

Sigh.
----------
Thanks Manderez. Three herniated discs L3-S1 and L2 has a bulge. Eeek, it's so hard to say those words. That is why I did not spell it out exactly before. I'd love your input. And best wishes to your Mom !

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
sonomacounty|1388711818|3585188 said:
Again, thank you so much, dear Maise. Big hugs & kisses for the kind words, soft shoulder and putting a bit of light in this very dark tunnel.

My lawyer told me most of his back injury cases are people who work in medicine, but it can happen to anyone - all together too easily. People can be damaging their discs but not be feeling pain or anything (till you are really destroyed) so do be careful all. (That was my case.) No twisting, keep your shoulders in the same plane as your pelvis, when lifting pull in your abdomen from your belly button and hold as it makes your trunk more of a solid, stable mass and takes some of the impact off the spine, keep the proper curves in your spine, don't round your back as you pick something off the floor (squatting is best) and no jobs where you lift for a living.

Don't let this happen to you . . .

Thanks again.

Sigh.
----------
Thanks Manderez. Three herniated discs L3-S1 and L2 has a bulge. Eeek, it's so hard to say those words. That is why I did not spell it out exactly before. I'd love your input. And best wishes to your Mom !

Thank you for the advice. I will make sure I follow it. I'm sending you a big hug!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results